Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's comfortable on genuine Chesterfield recliner 15:54 - Oct 2 with 244 viewsdurham_exile

The U’s were able to recline fully on a well upholstered blue Chesterfield

Well what a day — at least 26.5 degrees centigrade (and that was in the shade).
Good journey to Chesterfield via Leeds, motorway clear and people enjoying the Indian summer. My satnav took me to Saltergate but the new b2net stadium is not too far away right next to a shopping centre and a large Tesco Local store.
The stadium is not dissimilar to the WHCS but I think their stands are not finished off to the same standard but the playing surface was absolutely superb, akin to a billiard table.

Gerry was in the home end with family members and I didn’t see Wessex amid the hoards of the faithful who had made the journey (274) and who were in good voice throughout.

Colchester lined up:

Williams
Wilson Magnus Rio Coker
Antonio Izzet Bond Henderson Woody
Odejayi

Subs:
Doogy, Gillespie, Heath, White, Rose

Sitting in the North Stand we were bathed in wall to wall sunshine and Colchester kicked towards the U’s supporters in the first half.

The opening exchanges were even and apart from two scares from Williams one a back pass which he miskicked and the other a handling error the defence seemed sound.

Odejayi was excellent and apart from winning headers, he creates a number of goal scoring opportunities simply by running at defenders. Antonio once again was the danger man with his pace and crossing ability. Usually shadowed by two defenders his pace and trickery on the ball created several crosses which were usually but not always defended well by the Chesterfield defence.

Now according to Andy Warhol everyone is famous for 15 minutes, well I enjoyed 15 seconds of fame whilst assisting in the Colchester goal.
The ball was deflected behind for a corner and the ball reached me in Row G, I threw it back to Woody who placed it on the corner spot and delivered a ball which was not cleared properly by the defence and it reached Antonio who despatched it with considerable aplomb hard and low under the stretching Fleming in the Spireites goal. Cue mad celebrations from the faithful.

Chant of the day — “We’re winning away, we’re winning away — how s*** must you be, we’re winning away.”

Now in truth the U’s were good value for the lead and looked for a second, Woody was unlucky with a first time effort which grazed the post securing the net to the right of the goal. His trade mark free kick following a hand ball on the edge of the box unfortunately went too high.

Half time and the opportunity for a Jackson’s pie. Meat and Potato very appetising with good quality steak, decent pastry and vegetables. The faithful gathered around the television to see the first half highlights from the U’s game and then settled to see the Sky Sports news, Preston losing at Orient, the Owls winning at the monkey hangers.

Second half, Chesterfield played some attractive approach play but I felt that our defence was well marshalled and stood firm. Williams made one excellent save when getting a strong left hand to a shot from Mendy when I thought that Coker gave him too much room to cut inside. The Spireites also clipped the far post but Coker was on hand to concede a corner.

Woody tried a speculative effort from distance which Fleming struggled to hold onto. The tireless Odejayi created two more half chances with strong intelligent running and in truth we were good value fort the lead.

Now with the clock ticking down Antonio was crocked on the far side touchline. He struggled back onto the pitch collapsed and then the referee signalled for him to go off for treatment. He refused and collapsed again. The Chesterfield faithful became incensed and the ref diffused the situation by cautioning Antonio.

After the free kick was taken it was clear that Antonio could not continue and he was replaced by Doogie to rapturous applause from the faithful.

Criticism; the tiring Henderson should have been replaced by Gilly who clearly wanted to play. I do not understand why JW will not play him.
Sadly we gained two more booking from some silly time wasting in the far corner. I know that three points is required but invariably the time wasting in the corner is penalised by officials and is questionable as to how effective it is.

Attendance 6,295 is the sort of crowd that we need at the WHCS. The faithful were in good voice with Johnny Ward’s blue and white army receiving an extended rendition in the second half.

After 5 extra minutes we could celebrate a welcome win and another clean sheet, a fact not lost on Ben Williams.

Now do you think that we can extend the loan for Antonio until at least Christmas?

John Joe O’Toole is back next week to strengthen the midfield; another three points will set us up nicely for the back to back Rochdale and Sheff Wed matches.

Finally a mention for the referee — Mr Mohareb. Probably the best official I have seen in the last three seasons. Allowed the game to flow and officiated without fuss. Can we have him again and soon?

Good to see Colchester moving upwards, now what about that extra striker.

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024