Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What I despise about this season - so far 07:48 - Mar 30 with 641 viewsdurham_exile

Looking at the results for Colchester so far:

Played 40
Home W 7, D 3, L 10 for 23 against 28
Away W 5, D 4, L 11 for 18 against 33
GD - 20
Points 43

Simply not good enough

The manner of many of the defeats which has often been toothless
Seeing the away supporters celebrate at the WHCS (particularly Bournemouth who had not done the double over us since 1960)
The continued lack of goals and a recognised striker
The condition of the pitch - I can never remember the Layer Road surface in almost 40 years looking anywhere as poor
Now admittedly the weather has been unprecedented recently but our pitch hardly assists a passing game and resembles a beach
As an example the Hartlepool Victoria Park pitch only two weeks ago was like a billiard table when we played there
The reality that several of our players are not good enough for league 1
The lack of creativity
The failure to convert more chances into goals
The poor attendances at WHCS (well what can you expect when such poor fare is often served up)
Watching a game and realising that there is an inevitability about the result
(Crewe and Coventry Away spring to mind when we were well placed)
The two Scunny games when we were abject (which may well have cost us our place in league 1)
Reading the smug comments from other supporters and managers - "Colchester is a tough place to come, I think that was our best performance of the season, we controlled the game from start to finish, it was a difficult surface, they have a lot of uncompromising defenders etc etc"

Feeling totally let down by another poor performance and having to listen to JD defending the indefensible.

It is about time that the players stepped up to the plate, starting on Easter Monday, show some pride and commitment to the cause and get the first of the three results that we still need from our last 6 games to survive in this league.

Oh and it's still snowing in Durham!!!

See you at Boundary Park (weather permitting)
Up the U's

Durham_exile

What I despise about this season - so far on 08:53 - Mar 30 with 624 viewswessex_exile

That better Durham me old china?

Chin up mate, it's never darkest than before the dawn, which all being well will be a chilly Boundary Park on Monday - see you there.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

What I despise about this season - so far on 09:17 - Mar 30 with 617 viewsdurham_exile

What I despise about this season - so far on 08:53 - Mar 30 by wessex_exile

That better Durham me old china?

Chin up mate, it's never darkest than before the dawn, which all being well will be a chilly Boundary Park on Monday - see you there.

Wessex I do feel a little better - had to be written though!

See you at Boundary Park

Up the U's

Durham_exile

What I despise about this season - so far on 12:34 - Mar 30 with 595 viewsBaldrick

Standing there on my own yesterday has me now wondering why on earth I have supported Colchester all my life ! Durham I totally agree with you we have a bunch of player's who could not give a damn and are not upto Div 1 heavens knows what is going to happen in the summer if this lot manages to keep up. JD was for me, ( I say me now as my other old croney friends have given up,) I did think he would pull us around but we need a new face to kick arse. A new chairman would not go amiss ! before anybody spouts off about other clubs going under and how our chairman has saved us new training ground etc what exactly has he done this past 2years January 2012 something should have been done then. Never mind i'm an old git what do I know.
What I despise about this season - so far on 12:52 - Mar 30 with 589 viewsburnsieespana

Disagree with what you say about our Chairman when you look at the mess so many clubs are in.
The writing was on the wall at the start of last season and I said somewhere that we would be lucky to survive. In the event we over performed in reality and finished tenth due to JW going for draws.
The scribbling types on the OMB have over the last 2/3 year's spouted usual rubbish about who should be signed without any thoughts on the financial situation.
Unfortunate that RC allowed George, Lambo and Hoofroyd spend silly money on signings/wages resulting in a huge squad which we have only just started to get under control.
Remember we are a small club and have been since the late 50's and that is more than likely why we have remained supporters for so long.
If we can survive this year and it is a huge IF we can, I believe look forward to progress.
Whilst I doubted JD as manager that issue, in my opinion, has now been put to bed and, we must have stability over next couple of year's by not changing our manager and allowing him to take his vision of Col U forward.
Over the next couple of seasons we should have some local lads coming through and they will show the sort of passion for the club that we need.
I hope Izzett stays on even if restricted in the match time he gets as he has alawys along with Doogie shown real passion for Col U.
So guys keep the faith, try not dwell on the worst aspects of the season and I suspect Bournemouth are going to go up.
We just must not loose to Oldham on monday and hopefully Scunny will struggle to get many more wins.
What I despise about this season - so far on 15:05 - Mar 30 with 580 viewsnoah4x4

Hang on a bit folks......I think you are being really unfair on Joe Dunne.

After eight games under Ward we had just 4 points. Joe Dunne has since secured 39 points from 32 games. Pro-Rata over a 46 match season that is 56 points, suffice to comfortably avoid relegation. It's the legacy of the first 8 games that leave us still floundering, and for two thirds of our matches, Joe has been stuck with Ward's old failing squad.

However; now consider our record since the end of January 2013 (e.g. since the last transfer window closed). Played 12 won 5 drawn 2 lost 5 points 17. Pro-rata over a 46 match season that would be 66 points. Top half of table stuff.

My point is that we should judge Joe Dunne only from when he had opportunity to remedy things (e.g. transfer window); and I think he doing pretty well, especially as during that time we played Bournemouth, Yeovil, Tranmere, Sheffield United and Swindon! Did we really expect to get anything from ANY of these? OK, we fluffed our lines at Coventry and against Crewe, but that's football.

Blimey, is this role reversal, Noah4x4 being more optimistic than Durham???
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
What I despise about this season - so far on 17:34 - Mar 30 with 561 viewsBluenWightExile

Thanks for the report yet again Noah4x4 - epic and respected.
Durham - my sympathies and empathies.
Wessex - thanks for your optimism and God speed that and you for the Oldham trip.
Jon - Yes..................the demise has been scheduled for 2 seasons.

We have needed to rebuild and re group...............hopefully whilst staying in this division.
Now the crucnch that is that specific situation is upon us.
We have over reached ourselves on squad and wages and delayed the re-grouping and i agree with Durham from what I have watched this season we have too few Izett/Doogie types; too few for whom our predicament matters.
Joe is not to blame for this or for his appointment and I for one am relieved we have a Chairman who still seems dedicated. It's also not us who have just had 10 points docked [though it's a pity it's not 20!].

NO It must all be about the right preparation to achieve half points from the last 6 games. That should be enough. It's going to be a very tight time and if we survive then there should be some radical realism ahead of 13-14 season.

We have got a lot wrong this season and we have a poor squad. To stay up would be a triumph for Joe and reward for our supporters who have forseen this better than some of the decisions taken since we fell from the Championship.

Sing your hearts out for me on Monday [& the Viking implores this too from his new lair on the Isle of man!]

BluenWightexile [the artist formerly known as somersetbarside & alderneyCUFC]

Pinault-noir

What I despise about this season - so far on 21:04 - Mar 30 with 540 viewsdurham_exile

What I despise about this season - so far on 17:34 - Mar 30 by BluenWightExile

Thanks for the report yet again Noah4x4 - epic and respected.
Durham - my sympathies and empathies.
Wessex - thanks for your optimism and God speed that and you for the Oldham trip.
Jon - Yes..................the demise has been scheduled for 2 seasons.

We have needed to rebuild and re group...............hopefully whilst staying in this division.
Now the crucnch that is that specific situation is upon us.
We have over reached ourselves on squad and wages and delayed the re-grouping and i agree with Durham from what I have watched this season we have too few Izett/Doogie types; too few for whom our predicament matters.
Joe is not to blame for this or for his appointment and I for one am relieved we have a Chairman who still seems dedicated. It's also not us who have just had 10 points docked [though it's a pity it's not 20!].

NO It must all be about the right preparation to achieve half points from the last 6 games. That should be enough. It's going to be a very tight time and if we survive then there should be some radical realism ahead of 13-14 season.

We have got a lot wrong this season and we have a poor squad. To stay up would be a triumph for Joe and reward for our supporters who have forseen this better than some of the decisions taken since we fell from the Championship.

Sing your hearts out for me on Monday [& the Viking implores this too from his new lair on the Isle of man!]

BluenWightexile [the artist formerly known as somersetbarside & alderneyCUFC]

Guys, thank you for your honest and considered thoughts.

I think that the 21st league defeat of the season coupled with the ignomy of early exits from all the cup competitions has finally taken its toll.

Noone can expect automatic survival and all points have to be earned.

Having said that the frustration is almost boiling over. We need, as BluenWightexile correctly points, out a 50% return from our final 6 matches. Anything less and League Two beckons.

It starts on Monday - nothing less than a win will do.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

What I despise about this season - so far on 02:12 - Mar 31 with 529 viewsHellasblue

Whilst we all seem to have slightly different takes on our perilous situation (and rightly so), some posters do actually point out home truths; ones which I spoke about in my interview with Mr Happy around Christmas:

SMALL CLUB PUNCHING ABOVE ITS WEIGHT FOR SOME TIME
(Therefore, if similar in ability to other poor teams in division, those slings and arrows of footballing misfortune will strike eventually)

LOW ATTENDANCE
(Preventing incoming permanent transfers of desired standard and minimising cashflow)

LOAN PLAYERS
(A pet hate but if you bring academy players in and cut cost, it may be at bigger cost of us playing in non-league. A loan player will rarely have love for their adopted club, would you blame him? Today is all about showcasing themselves and chasing the moolah, imo). Plus ca change and all that.

Personally, I've supported the U's since their Conference days and that won't change; whichever league they are in. I just hope they are not in hock (to Robbie but posters here SEEM to say that might not be so ... I don't know, just mentioning it!) to the point that relegation will be particularly financially parlous? Most of you know that side more than I ...

Whilst I honestly don't feel we have moved on much from the Layer (and I miss it so!), the three points that we simply must get on Monday will help keep us all happy for another season.

Mind those arrows though ...
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Login to get fewer ads

What I despise about this season - so far on 09:45 - Mar 31 with 521 viewsbwildered

Quality , a word often used in the media that we have in abundance, but consistanly seems lacking at the weekends .Alas only one side on Sat had any but they also had another gear to spare, so no surprise in the outcome.
Always a difficult fixture to gain points, but the business end draws nearer and with a glance of the remaining games, potentially points can be gained but if we turn up and not put in the shift required relegation will already be a done deal .
Results over the last month have shown that winning games is possible, setbacks are editable at this stage, has results for all will not be predictable.
Still more than enough points to play for though, so now for the BIG PUSH

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

What I despise about this season - so far on 20:50 - Mar 31 with 493 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I think we need a bit of perspective here.

How many of the players playing on Saturday featured in the magnificent battling performances at Hartlepool and Bury? But yet now they don't care? We expect consistency from the team but as fans we need to be consistent too and not quite so quick to jump on the negative bandwagon!

The squad isn't good enough for League One? I'd like to read a reasoned argument from someone as to why any of our proven players aren't good enough for League One.

Changes should have happened sooner? Looking back maybe Ward should've gone earlier but he didn't, so there. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and unfortunately we can't change the past, all we can do is affect the future.

Finally would someone please explain to me what Robbie Cowling has done to warrant such disdain? Yes he may have made the odd bad decision but anyone who thinks he hasn't got the club's best interests at heart needs to get their head out of their backside.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

What I despise about this season - so far on 21:03 - Mar 31 with 489 viewswessex_exile

What I despise about this season - so far on 20:50 - Mar 31 by RSCOSWORTH

How many of the players playing on Saturday featured in the magnificent battling performances at Hartlepool and Bury? But yet now they don't care? We expect consistency from the team but as fans we need to be consistent too and not quite so quick to jump on the negative bandwagon!

The squad isn't good enough for League One? I'd like to read a reasoned argument from someone as to why any of our proven players aren't good enough for League One.

Changes should have happened sooner? Looking back maybe Ward should've gone earlier but he didn't, so there. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and unfortunately we can't change the past, all we can do is affect the future.

Finally would someone please explain to me what Robbie Cowling has done to warrant such disdain? Yes he may have made the odd bad decision but anyone who thinks he hasn't got the club's best interests at heart needs to get their head out of their backside.

Quite right RS - we are good enough to be in this league, because at this present moment the table doesn't lie. What's more, we have all witnessed performances at some point or another this season to bear testament to that. Consistency is a problem, but if we play to our potential over the next 6 games we'll be in League 1 next season, and JD with the entire summer to sort the squad out to his tastes, and mould a team which we all know will play football the right way.

As for Robbie Cowling - no question that he is good for Col U, and to be honest I wouldn't like to contemplate the future should he tire of the brickbats and take his support, drive and ambition (and let's be honest, money) elsewhere.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

What I despise about this season - so far on 22:01 - Mar 31 with 487 viewsBaldrick

What I despise about this season - so far on 20:50 - Mar 31 by RSCOSWORTH

I don't think I could get my head around my backside !! So there !!
How many games was it Ward had without a Win ?
The thing is Cosworth us old gits have had a lifetime to remember good thing's and bad things Mr Crisp etc When u are an old git I bet you will think the same.
Bournmouth were a bit of kill joys on Saturday but how many shots at goal did we have ?? We have seen better teams than them at home have we not ??
Mr Cowling I grant you without his money but then again we are not Portsmouth or a Coventry who have been there and wasted loads of dosh and the main thing that stands out is the support if he had done something about Mr Ward the gates would not have dropped. Colchester has never had a very good support and a lot of people come from around Colchester.
I'm afraid our time is drawing to a close and now the likes of you and others have a lifetime ahead of ups and downs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024