Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A little help and information 21:59 - Nov 7 with 665 viewsPaul38

Just to let everybody know that there won't be Paul's View for Sheffield Utd as I am unable to make the game on Saturday. Looking forward to reading about the game on here though.

Firstly I am not begging for help, to those fickle few who think I am just using this to get information and that I can't be bothered to find out the information myself, you couldn't be more wrong. Post if you want to post, don't if you don't want to, it's not going to bother me or stop the production of a decent story. Saying that though, anything that might be useful and add to the piece it would be great if you could add it because it will only make the film better(if good enough will be put onto the Col U website/YouTube channel so anything you can add will make it more interesting to viewers from other clubs)

A little help... As I said before, I am at university and I have a broadcast module, in which we have an assignment to film a sports news story. I chose to talk about how Colchester United are developing such talented young players and handing them first team appearances on a regular basis, especially with the FA wanting to help clubs develop players so that the national team improves in the future and how Colchester are a step ahead of most clubs at the moment and explore why that is.

I have done my research on the subject, like journalists do, but I wanted to come on here because I know you are all very knowledgeable about your club and thought I could check my stats with you and if I'm wrong then at least I'm wrong now and not in the film.

So I have researched and found that 7 players have been brought through the youth system at Colchester and given their debuts in the last two seasons(this and last)

Alex Gilbey
Sammie Szmodics
Macauley Bonne
Tosin Olufemi
Drey Wright
Conor Hubble
Freddie Ladapo

If you know more players from last season/this season please let me know because the more the better obviously but I think this is the total number. I know there are a lot more who have been part of the squad and on the bench but just wanted to focus on those who have played.

We have been given permission to film at the training ground and speak to some players ( Sammie, Drey and hopefully Clinton Morrison for his views on the young players and what he does as a senior player to aid their development) If you have any questions for them (Related to this or unrelated) let me know and I will try and get an answer off camera for you.

If you have anything else you think could add to the film like statistics, facts, interesting talking points or anything like that please post it will be greatly appreciated.

We are pretty much there in terms of what we want to film and how we are going to do it, but I thought why not ask the fans if there is anything they'd like to see or hear about or if they know of anything that could enhance the film.

Thanks in advance to any of you that can help,
Paul
[Post edited 7 Nov 2013 22:07]

“Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new "

A little help and information on 07:55 - Nov 8 with 635 viewsnoah4x4

Noah's View will be returning to the back page then Paul38; but you can do Swindon.

If you want to check any statistics; contact Graeson Laitt (e.g. U's and local sport statistician extraordinaire).

Matt Hudson at WHCS will probably have his contact details.
A little help and information on 09:45 - Nov 8 with 628 viewswessex_exile

Morning Paul - not much I can add regarding youth players coming through the ranks - as Noah says, Graeson (or kevincolu on the OMB) are probably best placed to advise on that one. The bit I would add, though this is no doubt already on your radar, is consideration of our failure to achieve Cat 2 status, despite the fantastic set up that Col U (mainly Robbie Cowling to be honest) has put in place. I understand the problem was historic - we haven't had enough players coming through the ranks over the previous 10 seasons to score high enough in that category. This just seems wrong, a club being penalised for the failings in the past, despite the obviously excellent facilities in place today.

Also, if you're filming at the training ground, do it quietly

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

A little help and information on 10:23 - Nov 8 with 624 viewsPaul38

Hi Wessex

Thanks for that. We did explore the different category status' held by clubs not only in League One but the Championship aswell and your right it seems silly that previous history overrides the current facilities and obvious progression so we may add that to the film if we can fit it in.

Do it quietly....? Don't tell anyone we are or don't distract the lads?
[Post edited 8 Nov 2013 10:24]

A little help and information on 19:04 - Nov 8 with 587 viewsbwildered

Paul , not sure if Connor Hubble came through the Youth team system, but signed when released by QPR last season ? But because of his age stil qualifies for the Youth set up.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

A little help and information on 20:03 - Nov 8 with 582 viewswessex_exile

A little help and information on 10:23 - Nov 8 by Paul38

Hi Wessex

Thanks for that. We did explore the different category status' held by clubs not only in League One but the Championship aswell and your right it seems silly that previous history overrides the current facilities and obvious progression so we may add that to the film if we can fit it in.

Do it quietly....? Don't tell anyone we are or don't distract the lads?
[Post edited 8 Nov 2013 10:24]

Do it quietly because anything above a forced whisper at Flo Park appears to attract the ire of the local nimbyesque residents, who will then bombard the Council with letters of complaint...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

A little help and information on 08:40 - Nov 9 with 566 viewsnoah4x4

Paul38; You could possibly do some wider research and draw some parallels with other sports. Questioning; is the youth system of soccer as effective as it might be at spotting talent and developing it early enough?

For example; compare with the annual English Schools Under 15 Cricket Festival; where that team competition is based on schools and regions (e.g. not the senior Counties or Clubs that tend not to formally "sign" players until much later than age 15 ). The staggering record there is that (I believe) only one senior England International Player in the last four decades DIDN'T play at under 15 level in the ESCA tournament for his region; and the majority of English born County Cricketers entered the system by that route. The ESCA under 15's event is amazingly succesful at identifying international and professional potential talent very early.

Now contrast that with football. My guess is that the player drop out rate (which is?) at all levels (from club to international) going forward from the age 15 group is incredible; and disappointing for the boys concerened; whilst plenty of talent is discovered much later playing in local soccer leagues.

Is this because cricketers tend to mature as players earlier than soccer; or because the cricket system for spotting talent is better; or is it actually the reverse and there are fewer opportunities in cricket and hence only the elite ever get though and the rest discarded back into local grass roots sport by the age 15? So which is the best youth system; association football's focus on club/academy system or ESCA/ECB's greater focus on the school structure? I suspect that an interesting conclusion is that the types of school's that produce the most England cricketers tend to be those with playing fields and a Rugby Union rather than soccer focus which brings another thread to the argument about social-economic factors; education and similar. No disrespect to anybody in particular; but most professional cricketers and rugby union players do seem to have enjoyed better education. So is that a failing of the soccer system? Too many boys get a high expection of being a professional footballer too early and if they fail; have gaps in their education; or they succeed only modestly and then don't perhaps complete their education (university etc). What are the strengths; weaknesses; opportunities and threats of the various systems?

It just might make your dissertation different; showing an'out of the box' capacity to reseach data and apply analyisis techniques. It is just an idea...
A little help and information on 16:07 - Nov 9 with 555 viewsBarsidepete

Lucky you, you didn't make it Paul. What a travesty. Maybe there will be some fight in the second half.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

A little help and information on 08:50 - Nov 11 with 537 viewsPaul38

It's a great idea and lots of great points but we only have 3minutes 30seconds to explain the story and do a few interviews but it sounds like something I could explore in the future, possibly my dissertation, so thanks really appreciated.

Paul

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024