Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alex Wynter 17:25 - Apr 29 with 787 viewsLeadbelly

I've been quite impressed with what little I've seen of Alex Wynter. He looks composed, solid and makes good decisions...and he scored from a corner!.

Crystal Palace have an option to extend his contract for another year but if that doesn't happen I think he would be a very good signing. JD certainly rates him and is clearly hoping to do a deal, according to today's East Anglian. Even if Palace do exercise their option perhaps we could sign him on loan again.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Alex Wynter on 19:18 - Apr 29 with 773 viewsGate16

Totally agree - looks avery good player.
Alex Wynter on 19:24 - Apr 29 with 773 viewsbwildered

Agree, not sure if any young defender is going to get a first team Premier league place these days, has clubs have too much to lose, so several loan deals are now part of their career development.
Has already shown his versatility along the back four already .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Alex Wynter on 08:49 - Apr 30 with 752 viewsnoah4x4

I hate to say this, but I thought we looked a completely different side defensively without the (recent) calamity prone Magnus.

Brian Wilson looked so much more assured and confident until his injury meant he was replaced by and equally competent David Wright. So often, opposition teams have been prolific down his flank after Brian had been pulled into the middle; perhaps tracking a runner that was possibly Magnus's man ; and then his winger gets too much freedom because the forward in front of him won't tackle back (e.g. Monakana, Watt etc). It struck me that on Saturday without Magnus we were so much better organised at corners, free-kicks, and most conspicuosly when under an attack in open play (notably springing the offside trap).

If you listen to a typical Alan Hansen analysis, note the emphasis on defensive formation and discipline (that we we so often lack). Also if we are going to play the ball out from defence we need confident ball players. I am convinced that Magnus is too 'old school'. That is not to say he isn't a good defender in the "if in doubt thrash it out of play" style. But there is a mismatch between his skills and what we are now trying to achieve. By contrast, Alex Wynter looks totally assured. But can we keep him? I really hope so. But if not, under 18 Frankie Kent looks a great prospect; and can play with the ball at his feet.
Alex Wynter on 21:26 - May 1 with 698 viewsPaddyA140

I'm limited to home games (the last 4) this season, so have only seen Alex twice but last weekend I thought he really did look the business. Fingers crossed he stays/extends.

Have got myself an ST for 2014/15 so am really looking forward to more of what I saw on Saturday just gone.

Up the U's
Alex Wynter on 13:14 - May 2 with 671 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Alex Wynter on 08:49 - Apr 30 by noah4x4

I hate to say this, but I thought we looked a completely different side defensively without the (recent) calamity prone Magnus.

Brian Wilson looked so much more assured and confident until his injury meant he was replaced by and equally competent David Wright. So often, opposition teams have been prolific down his flank after Brian had been pulled into the middle; perhaps tracking a runner that was possibly Magnus's man ; and then his winger gets too much freedom because the forward in front of him won't tackle back (e.g. Monakana, Watt etc). It struck me that on Saturday without Magnus we were so much better organised at corners, free-kicks, and most conspicuosly when under an attack in open play (notably springing the offside trap).

If you listen to a typical Alan Hansen analysis, note the emphasis on defensive formation and discipline (that we we so often lack). Also if we are going to play the ball out from defence we need confident ball players. I am convinced that Magnus is too 'old school'. That is not to say he isn't a good defender in the "if in doubt thrash it out of play" style. But there is a mismatch between his skills and what we are now trying to achieve. By contrast, Alex Wynter looks totally assured. But can we keep him? I really hope so. But if not, under 18 Frankie Kent looks a great prospect; and can play with the ball at his feet.

Some interesting points there Noah regarding Wilson and Magnus. I think Wilson is a consistent and reliable full back, nothing special but certainly good enough at this level. Magnus for me was outstanding a few years ago but seems to have gone backwards in recent seasons.

Has anyone else heard the rumour that Wilson will be off to Cheltenham? Wants to move back to Bristol evidently.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024