Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Valiant U's deservedly secure the points in the Potteries - Durham's view 23:26 - Apr 3 with 877 viewsdurham_exile

In my pre match write up, I foolishly overlooked Jacob Murphy (perhaps thinking that he was injured) but he turned out to be the hero of this superb and thoroughly deserved Colchester away win.

Prior to the game the U’s had been boosted by the return of Rhys Healey from Cardiff City.

On a separate note aficionados of this site will recall that Elliott Hewitt was recalled by Ipswich because of defensive weaknesses and shortfalls (allegedly). You will understand my surprise that not only did he not make the starting line-up today but strangely he failed to make the bench either. Well bo**cks to McCarthy and his team.

Richard Brindley on loan from Rotherham played at right back and had a superb match, with good defensive cover and when he grew in confidence in the second half, made some telling forward runs.

From my West Midlands base it was a relatively short journey to the Potteries. The weather took a turn for the worse in Stoke and it remained very wet and cold for the entire match.

Vale Park is undergoing some major redevelopment with the main stand incorporating Executive boxes and new seats, approximately half of which have still to be installed.

More bizarrely though was the closure of the area behind the goal which meant that the 173 faithful had to occupy the space to the right of the goal and towards the corner. No explanation was forthcoming for this situation.

The U’s lined up in a 4, 5, 1 formation with Chris Porter leading the line.

Walker

Brindley Eastman Khumalo Wynter

Gilbey Lapslie Moncur Massey Murphy

Porter

Subs:

Lewington, Vincent-Young, Osborne, Szmodics, Healey, Bonne, Sembie-Ferris

Conditions were wet and windy throughout and the pitch was sodden in places. Port Vale settled better and took the game to the U’s. Sam Walker was in good form and for all their huffing and puffing PV created few clear cut openings.

When Chris Birchall did find the net he was clearly offside.

In truth it was not a great half, the conditions definitely playing their part but with the pressure to not lose the game, the U’s looked solid whilst not making many forward forays.

Half time arrived and time for a meat and potato pie and white coffee. The pie was hot with a decent filling and pastry which was not soft and soggy.

Now despite the weather and dismal first half I felt strangely optimistic for the second half and it did not take the U’s long to get the upper hand. George Moncur had worked tirelessly and it was no surprise when his perseverance paid off and he netted from 10 yards after good interchanges with Chris Porter on 57 minutes.

In truth the U’s were growing in confidence and despite the conditions were looking good value for the lead. The home support grew restless and the excellent Murphy twisted and turned his marker before scoring with a delightful angled shot past reserve keeper Johnson on 77 minutes.

The faithful were in raptures and the U’s were in dreamland. On Good Friday cue an exodus of biblical proportions for the fickle home fans. Never mind sneaking out they were pouring out.

Tom Lapslie, who did not enjoy the conditions and took a heavy knock was substituted on 82 minutes by Sammy Szmodics.

Dodds managed to reduce the arrears with a powerful shot though a packed penalty area on 84 minutes and TH immediately substituted Porter for Healey on 85 minutes. Doubtless with an eye on the game against the Tykes on Monday.

Healey was unlucky not to put the game beyond doubt with a shot that shaved the post.

Gavin Massey also missed three good efforts (firing over each time) but his overall play for the team was very good.

Despite an additional four minutes, there was no repeat of the Gillingham drama and Colchester deservedly secured the three points.

The table still looks grim but the U’s have given themselves real hope to avoid the drop whilst incredibly dragging PV into the mix. On my way back to Telford, I listened on BBC Stoke to the doom and gloom from Port Vale fans who seriously believe that they are now relegation candidates. Notwithstanding their 48 points they have lost 5 consecutive games and still require at least 4 more points to be safe.

Port Vale 40 -9 48
Walsall 39 -6 47
Scunny 39 -10 47
Coventry 40 -11 46
Crewe 40 -32 46
Leyton Orient 39 -3 45
-------------------------
Notts Co 39 -13 44
Crawley 40 -22 44
COL U 39 -16 41
Yeovil 40 -32 33

Our games against Barnsley and Coventry now become even more important and arguably we need to win at least 4 from our last 7.

Momentum is key and at last we are beginning to string some results together. It's going to the wire.

Happy Easter

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Valiant U's deservedly secure the points in the Potteries - Durham's view on 05:37 - Apr 4 with 847 viewsBarsidepete

Amazing write-up. Good stuff.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Valiant U's deservedly secure the points in the Potteries - Durham's view on 10:12 - Apr 4 with 832 viewsnoah4x4

Top Stuff Durham; the only thing I would add is a feeling of deja vu for those that trekked down to Brisbane Road last week.

Hence Noah's View;

The pattern of this game was identical to what we watched at Orient versus Port Vale last week where in the first half Vale's brilliant Marshall ran the midfield/wide show and the Valiants could easily have been two or three up by half time with some better finishing. Marshall seemed to be everywhere (and he was again yesterday), and that was to Orient's and the U's eventual advantage. Thankfully Pope didn't make the starting line up yesterday. But he looked dangerous in the second half but by then the U's had taken control and quality service to him almost dried up compared to the first period offerings to his predesssor Williamson.

Then when Vale noticably tired (Marshall faded dramatically) the game's tempo swang the other way; and just as at Orient (helped there by the Vale keeper being sent off); their defence became ever more flakey as the game opened up. On the U's counter attack, Gavin Massey might have had a hat trick; Murphy might have had a brace (he got one goal); whilst Rees Healey did the hard part before slotting a shot past the far post. At our goal end, Vale did have their chances but Sam Walker was not as troubled remotely as much as the BBC statistics might suggest. Most of the Vale shots were lucky to hit the stand or reached him in a trickle or slow loop. The U's defence looked much more solid (notably after the break) where newcomer Brindley did well and Tom Eastman, Khumalo and Wynter looked as theough they had played together for years.

Here, I give credit to the U's management team that had evidently also watched at Brisbane Road and set up the U's side to soak up initial pressure; an attempt to strangle Marshall (which we only did to a limited extent in the first 60 minutes, but well done Tom Lapslie); hence wear out the opposition and its dynamo; then hit fast on the counter attack. It wasn't pretty (indeed horrible in the first 45'), but hey we won!

There was particular Deja Vu as I reckon Porter was marginally offside in the build up to Moncurs Goal (as was Dagnall in the build up to Orients first penalty), but this time the whistle favoured us (isn't it about time that the U's had a bit of good fortune with officials?).

So it's seven points from nine; and we were unlucky that at Gillingham that we didn't take two more. I see no reason why we can't steal six points from the Tykes and Coventry. I remain confident of survival.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2015 10:15]
Valiant U's deservedly secure the points in the Potteries - Durham's view on 11:42 - Apr 5 with 778 viewsBluenWightExile

Thankyou Durham and thankyou Noah4x4!
Four more wins might just do - keeping my fingers crossed for our first decent run of results for 3 or. 4 seasons - absolutely no better time!
Up the U's

Pinault-noir

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024