Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW 17:04 - Oct 16 with 962 viewsdurham_exile

TH takes his charges to Wigan at the weekend hoping to avoid a third consecutive defeat.

After some impressive performances the U's were unfortunate to be all Shaken up and then were tamed by the Shrews in a match that we lead 2-0.

Tomorrow's game will give a real indication as to our ability to achieve a top six finish this season. Wigan were one of the fancied teams for promotion and after a slow start they are improving. A win would justify our recent boast that we can beat anyone in this Division.

TH has more injuries however; Garvan and Massey are both doubtful after injuries and would be missed but we do have other squad players who could step up to replace them.

Matt Briggs is back however which is good news.

Team:

Jones

Olufemi Eastman Kent Briggs

Edwards Gilbey Moncur

Harriott Sordell Sembie-Ferris

Subs:

Parish James Ambrose Porter Bonne Szmodics Lapslie

Many years ago I witnessed a U's 1-0 win at the stadium. A similar scoreline tomorrow would be most welcome.

Safe journey to all travelling fans.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 21:07 - Oct 16 with 929 viewsRSCOSWORTH

If we lose tomorrow it will be three defeats in a row. Exactly the same kind of runs that have been our downfall the last three seasons. You could argue that we should've got four or maybe six points from our last two games but we didn't and after tomorrow we could be staring at zero points from nine. I'd take a battling point tomorrow to stop the rot personally.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 06:24 - Oct 17 with 901 viewsnoah4x4

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 21:07 - Oct 16 by RSCOSWORTH

If we lose tomorrow it will be three defeats in a row. Exactly the same kind of runs that have been our downfall the last three seasons. You could argue that we should've got four or maybe six points from our last two games but we didn't and after tomorrow we could be staring at zero points from nine. I'd take a battling point tomorrow to stop the rot personally.

I reckon after Monday's fine under 21 performance Sembie Ferris deserves a start if there is minimal doubt about Massey. Dion was simply awesome. A very tired looking Sordell might benefit from a rest too. Chris Porter can do the business if necessary.

If you had played in Shrewsbury at full back instead of Elokobi RSCossie you might well have "personally stopped the rot" that he didn't. My fear is the toe injury to Kent; which might bring big George back in.

Am just about top set off for Wigan; maybe see some of you there. Don't suck on too many Uncle Joe's Mint Balls.
Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 16:02 - Oct 17 with 850 viewsCol_U_Chris

Looks like the official message board has gone off air, deliberately maybe given some of the comments on there and on Twitter. Embarrassing......
Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 16:05 - Oct 17 with 847 viewspwrightsknees

WOW! Half time and we've had 52% possession. We must be playing really well!
Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 22:48 - Oct 17 with 731 viewsdurham_exile

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 16:05 - Oct 17 by pwrightsknees

My thoughts about the debacle tomorrow.
Enough said!

Durham_exile

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 01:53 - Oct 18 with 697 viewsLeadbelly

It would appear that Wigan set a test for which we were unprepared and failed miserably.

It seems from the post match comments that Mr Humes fully expected Wigan to outperform us and to have better players. Perhaps I misheard. Either way I hope we don't face any more sides employing underhand tactics such as using better players or playing a long ball game with which our system can't cope.

Perhaps it's time for another of Mr Cowling's gonad filled motivational press releases.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 05:37 - Oct 18 with 679 viewsthrillseeker

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 16:05 - Oct 17 by pwrightsknees

That must be a mistake
Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 05:38 - Oct 18 with 678 viewsthrillseeker

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 16:02 - Oct 17 by Col_U_Chris

Looks like the official message board has gone off air, deliberately maybe given some of the comments on there and on Twitter. Embarrassing......

What sort of things were being said?
Login to get fewer ads

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 05:40 - Oct 18 with 677 viewsthrillseeker

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 06:24 - Oct 17 by noah4x4

I reckon after Monday's fine under 21 performance Sembie Ferris deserves a start if there is minimal doubt about Massey. Dion was simply awesome. A very tired looking Sordell might benefit from a rest too. Chris Porter can do the business if necessary.

If you had played in Shrewsbury at full back instead of Elokobi RSCossie you might well have "personally stopped the rot" that he didn't. My fear is the toe injury to Kent; which might bring big George back in.

Am just about top set off for Wigan; maybe see some of you there. Don't suck on too many Uncle Joe's Mint Balls.

Shows the step up from under-21 to first team is quite severe as I thought Sembue Ferris looked completely out of his depth and not strong enough.

He is still an impact player coming off bench with 10-15 mins to play.

Chris Porter can do the business - well he was awful yesterday and as our target man it is concerning he only won one header.

There were too many players that did not perform and with TH In charge I fear another long season as he is tactically clueless.

Oh well - the joys of being a CUFC fan
[Post edited 18 Oct 2015 6:01]
Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 00:31 - Oct 19 with 568 viewsnoah4x4

On what I saw on Saturday, I have to agree with Thrillseeker about the gulf between Wigan and our Under 21's . Dion Sembie Ferris has had only had a couple of first XI league starts and has done OK, but he was found out on Saturday (as was Tosin Olefumi). Yet he was brilliant on Monday against a decent U21 Bournemouth side including (seniors) Artur and Kermogen.

However, I don't think that Wigan are characteristic of most Division One sides other than perhaps (say) the runaway league champions of last year Bristol City; which I saw four times and whom we narrowly beat 3-2 having earlier been 3-0 up (despite the U's having a very youthful team!). On Saturday, Wigan were a class above everybody else that I have seen this season; faster; more committed; more skilful and much better than either Shrewsbury or Bury. They weren't dirty, but knocked our senior players off the ball at will. There is perhaps something to be said for snarling snap at your ankles type players like Wigan's former U David Perkins with a low centre of gravity (or indeed a Szmodics or Lapslie that played so well against Bristol City and have not featured much this campaign). Wigan also hunted us down in packs; and then played neat passing triangles also in packs having cleverly isolated our defenders. Frankly, it was remarkable to watch. Correspondingly, without Massey and Garvan; and some generally poor performances from others (Porter; Sordell; Gilbey) we were a shadow of our recent selves. But Wigan did remind me of our Under 21's too as regards skill. When our boys grow stronger, gain stamina and fill out, who knows what is possible.

I don't think we should be too downheartened about Wigan. I am more worried about the aftermath of Shrewsbury that simply went direct and hoofball. Other lesser teams will now mimic that; which may be to our advantage if we can sort out a way to counter it. We could easily have won 4-5 had we taken our chances at Shrewsbury; when at Wigan there was only ever going to be one winner (and fair play to them).
Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 06:32 - Oct 19 with 554 viewsthrillseeker

Latics provide the test on Saturday at the DW on 00:31 - Oct 19 by noah4x4

On what I saw on Saturday, I have to agree with Thrillseeker about the gulf between Wigan and our Under 21's . Dion Sembie Ferris has had only had a couple of first XI league starts and has done OK, but he was found out on Saturday (as was Tosin Olefumi). Yet he was brilliant on Monday against a decent U21 Bournemouth side including (seniors) Artur and Kermogen.

However, I don't think that Wigan are characteristic of most Division One sides other than perhaps (say) the runaway league champions of last year Bristol City; which I saw four times and whom we narrowly beat 3-2 having earlier been 3-0 up (despite the U's having a very youthful team!). On Saturday, Wigan were a class above everybody else that I have seen this season; faster; more committed; more skilful and much better than either Shrewsbury or Bury. They weren't dirty, but knocked our senior players off the ball at will. There is perhaps something to be said for snarling snap at your ankles type players like Wigan's former U David Perkins with a low centre of gravity (or indeed a Szmodics or Lapslie that played so well against Bristol City and have not featured much this campaign). Wigan also hunted us down in packs; and then played neat passing triangles also in packs having cleverly isolated our defenders. Frankly, it was remarkable to watch. Correspondingly, without Massey and Garvan; and some generally poor performances from others (Porter; Sordell; Gilbey) we were a shadow of our recent selves. But Wigan did remind me of our Under 21's too as regards skill. When our boys grow stronger, gain stamina and fill out, who knows what is possible.

I don't think we should be too downheartened about Wigan. I am more worried about the aftermath of Shrewsbury that simply went direct and hoofball. Other lesser teams will now mimic that; which may be to our advantage if we can sort out a way to counter it. We could easily have won 4-5 had we taken our chances at Shrewsbury; when at Wigan there was only ever going to be one winner (and fair play to them).

Have to agree that Wigan are not characteristic of this Division and I believe they will now go on and win Title. They oozed class.

Despite saying the above there was no excuse for the lack of fight Saturday especially first half
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024