Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Johan Cruyff - BBC Sport did you know... 05:57 - Mar 25 with 698 viewsfatpat

Reading through the 'did you know?' stuff on BBC website about such a marvelous player and manager, there was one thing that caught my eye - relevant to our own current plight;
Johan Cruyff apparently almost signed for Leicester under Jock Wallace.
Would anyone care to share their memories of that unbelievable great escape back at Layer Road in 1988-89 season when somehow we landed Jock Wallace as manager? I remember two things in particular;
1. the incredible energy and belief that one talisman managed to bring to a dressing room, and five league wins on the trot to ensure safety for another year
2. sadly I also remember putting all the money I had from my paper round for the past few weeks on Colchester going up as champions for the following season at the local Corals; only for us to be relegated instead!

RIP Johan Cruyff...and Jock Wallace...
Johan Cruyff - BBC Sport did you know... on 09:08 - Mar 25 with 680 viewsbwildered

After the Roger Brown debacle, Steve Foley brought some much needed passion back into the performance . Tony Kelly was signed on loan in midfield but failed to agree terms .
Jock Wallace arrives, significantly off field World Cup winner Alan Ball arrives on the coaching side, onfield three signings made a impact, previous favourite Ian Alllinson, forward Rob Scott from non league Scottish football and experience goalkeeper Tom McCallister .
Home form improved which built confidence which led to survival.
However Scott and McCallister were not signed for the next season and class player Coiln Hill departs, which led to the same problems has the previous season which led to relegation .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Johan Cruyff - BBC Sport did you know... on 09:52 - Mar 25 with 677 viewsdurham_exile

Jock Wallace was a managerial legend.

However he played 5,3,2 whilst at Colchester which I considered too defensive .

I wrote to him complaining about the negativity and he paid me the compliment of responding in print - his main point being whilst he had 5 at the back he also played 5 up front. I of course kept the letter.

A great man and both he and Cruyff RIP.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Johan Cruyff - BBC Sport did you know... on 12:59 - Mar 26 with 650 viewsLeadbelly

In 1973 Cruyff signed for FC Barcelona rather than Real Madrid, even though the Ajax chairman wanted to sell him to Madrid. Cruyff refused to join Real Madrid due to the club's strong association with General Franco. Man of principle as well as a superb footballer.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024