Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. 11:24 - Mar 17 with 820 viewsnoah4x4

The U’s dominated this game for three minutes, six seconds from kick off; until George Porter was cynically scythed down and saw red for retaliation. I have since pressed and <rewind> a dozen times and I cannot see his offence; only an involuntary movement to free a trapped leg. There followed a further ninety three minutes (plus interval) of edge of the seat tension for U’s fans; and unbelievable effort from the players; and even then, it needed a miracle of biblical proportion to send the U’s seven points clear of the drop zone. But what a result! 173 fans (+ 6 in the posh seats) had travelled to Coventry and I guess it was largely the same 179 that made the long trip to Bury. I had persuaded D.O.M to abandon the train, but he was noticeably fidgety until soothed by a copy of "Steam Railway" magazine. We took breakfast at Peterborough Services; where the CUSA bus rendezvoused with multiple private cars transporting the faithful; then lunch in the splendid Bury Supporters Club Bar; where a delightful ‘Karen Barber’ look-a-like poured us Jamesons Whiskey; whilst we pretended to watch the Everton game on TV. Why don’t we have resources like that at WHCS? No sooner had we settled into our seats; the referee decided we were too good. Evidently, he didn’t have enough pencil to record a glut of U’s goals; and hence evened the game up by giving young Porter his unjustified early marching orders. But at least he had writhed on the ground long enough to trouble the dry cleaners and warrant a shower necessary. Joe Dunne signalled time to fall back behind the ball and regroup and the U’s defended manfully as Bury immediately had their tails up. True to expectation, former U’s favourite, Craig Fagan, added misery to what was fast changing from what had been a delightful day into potentially our worst nightmare. But knowing it was St Paddy’s Day in just eight hours thirty minutes; and that there is a new Pope listening for opportunity and perhaps some new Colchester converts; I suspect that Joe said a little prayer; bent down and for once did find a four leaf clover. Such was the hope and optimism amongst U’s fans that from this point forward we roared our heroes onward when others would despair. Yes, we perhaps could get a point from this disastrous start? A more even contest ensued for the next ten minutes; considerable U’s pressure; then a corner; then a deserved 1-1. A brilliant header by Josh Thompson, but some others accredited it to Smith. Then just a minute later, a rampant U’s took Bury apart and we take the lead from a superb Clinton Morrison strike. 1-2 half time; awesome; unbelievable; but as we went for a soggy pie; no superlatives could do justice to our feeling of elation. Had Porter stayed on this would probably have been a massacre rendering our goal difference to be of no disadvantage. Then reality kicked in both on the terraces and in the dressing room. Our valiant had run themselves into the ground in the first 45. Legs were already filing with lactic acid and made heavy from the wet claggy pitch. At this point I made the observation that merely twelve months ago today a drought order had been made; to which D.O.M responded that the only relevant drought was within the ground. Where could we get a beer? The fans and players hence both regrouped, and with the knowledge that this wasn’t the time for any more strength sapping overly ambitious attacks that might leave us exposed; so the U’s lined up in John Ward fashion; much deeper; in tight ranks; like an outnumbered Spartan army expecting an onslaught from the Persians; which eventually came; wave after wave of Bury attack. The U’s defended with amazing guts and effort, but the odds seemed overwhelming. We would have accepted a point at any point up until the last five minutes, and possibly even into overtime! The BBC reckons 25 shots to our 8. Fortunately, Bury’s shooting was reminiscent of a cross eyed gunslinger on wobbly skates. However, the laws of physics meant that some probably destined for the corner flags were mis-hit and hence 13 were on target. Thankfully, Sam Walker; just like that cartoon octopus goalie in the Beano; seemed to have sufficiently long tentacles to keep the ball out of the U’s net. He made a string of wonder saves with his head bloodied and bandaged after a lengthy injury delay. The imagination of the U’s Choir never ceases to amaze me….”you’re just a tall Terry Butcher” was followed by “Michael Smith has no song; has no song; has no song…..” crooned to the tune of the “wheels on the bus…” (After which D.O.M was worrying whether our wheels had been nicked by some northern scally, and offered further justified why we should return to the railways). Every U’s body part, sinew, tendon, appendage was use to defend and block the ball. Bury hit the cross bar twice in four seconds. They were so convinced the ball had crossed the line that the scoreboard changed to 2-2, then 0-2 before getting back to the correct 1-2. Then six minutes of added time, which became seven; almost eight. The referee seemed determined to play on until Bury equalised. Bradley Garmstone was running on empty, but still kept running and tackling during overtime, as had others. It was an afternoon of insanity, and possibly divine intervention. But WE WON and deservedly so given the amount of blue and white blood shed on that pitch and upon the terraces. Joe Dunne sank to his knees and appeared to kiss the ground. But I think it was just his own physical and mental exhaustion; yet he had not even left the technical area. The team that had each covered more miles than an Ethiopian in a desert without a compass still had the energy to jog over to the fans and applaud us; whilst 179 of us did that little epileptic leg dance that the Irish always do whenever there’s a party. Happy St Patrick’s Day Joe.
Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 11:58 - Mar 17 with 810 viewsdurham_exile

Outstanding Noah - regarding the sending off - JD thinks that it was justified and that Porter was stupid.

I can't see the incident well enough on TV to judge one way or the other.

But it was a great win.

Stattos will be looking for the earliest sending off in a match for Col U.

Some years ago at the Monkey Hangers (I was there) we had a player sent off after 90 seconds and we managed a 0-0 draw that day in heroic style.

Normally we do badly against ten men - we lost 1-0 to Brentford years ago at Griffin Park when thay had been reduced to 10 men.

7 more points from 7 games. Perhaps 3 wins out of 7 to be absolutely certain. Gigg Lane result has probably ensured survival.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 17:44 - Mar 17 with 785 viewswessex_exile

Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 11:58 - Mar 17 by durham_exile

Outstanding Noah - regarding the sending off - JD thinks that it was justified and that Porter was stupid.

I can't see the incident well enough on TV to judge one way or the other.

But it was a great win.

Stattos will be looking for the earliest sending off in a match for Col U.

Some years ago at the Monkey Hangers (I was there) we had a player sent off after 90 seconds and we managed a 0-0 draw that day in heroic style.

Normally we do badly against ten men - we lost 1-0 to Brentford years ago at Griffin Park when thay had been reduced to 10 men.

7 more points from 7 games. Perhaps 3 wins out of 7 to be absolutely certain. Gigg Lane result has probably ensured survival.

Up the U's

Absolutely brilliant report Noah, love it

Durham, that was Alan White as I recall, and as they were local, he'd arranged for a minibus-load of his family to come along and watch him play that day

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 22:32 - Mar 17 with 769 viewsgerry_us

Absolutely brilliant report Noah but not so comfortable seat as at the Coventry match eh?

Anyone who went to both games last week, Coventry and Bury must now be a dribbling wreck. I only managed Coventry but on Saturday listening to U's World was probably the most gut wrenching experience I have ever had with U's in 50 years of supporting them so how you managed to get through it and still post your report I do not know.

With the sort of commitment shown by the 10 men who is to say that we will not be still in Div. 1 next year. Have since had the opportunity to see THE incident and fail to see how the referee could have come to the decision he arrived at....are we appealing?
Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 22:53 - Mar 17 with 767 viewsdurham_exile

Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 22:32 - Mar 17 by gerry_us

Absolutely brilliant report Noah but not so comfortable seat as at the Coventry match eh?

Anyone who went to both games last week, Coventry and Bury must now be a dribbling wreck. I only managed Coventry but on Saturday listening to U's World was probably the most gut wrenching experience I have ever had with U's in 50 years of supporting them so how you managed to get through it and still post your report I do not know.

With the sort of commitment shown by the 10 men who is to say that we will not be still in Div. 1 next year. Have since had the opportunity to see THE incident and fail to see how the referee could have come to the decision he arrived at....are we appealing?

Gerry - JD says the red card was justified and that GP was stupid.

I supect that he might therefore rejoin Burnley and we might not see him anymore.

Only 7 games to play and he will miss three of them.

Hope I'm wrong because when he plays well he is a handful for defenders but retaliation is always a risky business.

Two key home matches before that game at Oldham. Boundary Park Easter Monday an absolute must see game!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 01:15 - Mar 18 with 764 viewsFozzy

Again, thank you Noah, reading your report I have been able to 'feel' the intensity of the game even at this distance (Exiled in Australia). Keep up the good work supporting the U's and remember the commitment shown by all, next time someone has an 'off' day. Encouragement is the one essential of a true supporter.

Fozzy.
Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 08:41 - Mar 18 with 748 viewsAFCMorant

Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 22:32 - Mar 17 by gerry_us

Gut wrenching was a very good summation. Probably the most enjoyable away win I've seen, even better than 7-1 at Norwich. Clinton Morrison was excellent, and the whole team showed so much character.
Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 22:45 - Mar 19 with 701 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for your report noah.....another sterling effort!
Anyway on a personal level I saw us go 2-1 up, then had to leave the house for a flight from Sevilla to Barcalona so, it was about midnight my time before I could find out the result ( was convinced a draw was the best I could hope for) so I was as much of a wreck as those of you at the game or like gerry listening on the radio!
Anyway well done to the boys, hope they get plenty of TLC this week to grab another win on saturday as sure will need at least three more this season and don't think many of us old 'uns will survive the tension if we have to wait until the last game of the season!
Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 15:19 - Mar 20 with 692 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Bury 1 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View. on 08:41 - Mar 18 by AFCMorant

Gut wrenching was a very good summation. Probably the most enjoyable away win I've seen, even better than 7-1 at Norwich. Clinton Morrison was excellent, and the whole team showed so much character.

I feared the worst when you said you were attending and thought we were doomed after the red card and going 1-0 down but the boys dug in and proved me wrong.

Apart from Porter, how did the loanees get on?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024