Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A spanner in the works... 13:47 - May 21 with 715 viewsLeadbelly

...or,in the case of Brighton and Hove Albion, excrement on the floor of the Crystal Palace dressing room before the second leg of the play offs.

A turd on the floor failed to disrupt the Palace game plan but what other "distractions" could be employed to put the opposition of it's stroke? Caravan brochures for Southend? A John Deere catalogue for Ipswich? A stray sheep for any of the Welsh sides?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

A spanner in the works... on 20:06 - May 21 with 693 viewswessex_exile

We carried out the investigations in advance of the construction of a major South Coast football stadium, and as part of the 'thank you' once the stadium was built, everyone involved on our team were invited to a private tour around the stadium one evening. It really was a cracking evening out, and needless to say the beer and wine flowed (as you'd expect when 20+ archaeologists gather in one place for more than about 10 minutes). For me the tour of the dressing rooms was the most eye-opening though - forget John Beck and his antics, this was stuff that was actually built into the original design for what was even then a Premier League class of stadium.

The away dressing room was specifically designed to be L-shaped, to make it impossible for the visiting squad to gather as one unit for the manager's pre-kick off and half-time team talks.

The ceiling had been lowered to give a more cramped claustrophobic feel to the environment.

To add to the above, the walls and ceiling were (seriously) painted black!

To cap it all, mirrors had been fixed to the insides of the cubicle doors - can you imagine anything more disconcerting than having to watch yourself have a dump?

The home dressing room, by comparison, was a large open airy space (painted white naturally), beautifully lit and with refreshingly high ceilings and no bog door mirrors.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

A spanner in the works... on 23:23 - May 21 with 667 viewsDaniel

Which stadium was that Wessex? I'm intrigued.

As for the Brighton dump, do you reckon this is why Poyet has been suspended...
A spanner in the works... on 12:24 - May 22 with 648 viewsnoah4x4

Reminds me of my submission to "My Layer Road" (an excellent book of fan memories if you have not read).

In short, I found myself in the urinals at the back of the mains stand stood adjacent to (then) Wolves Manager Mick McCarthy; who had brought a full squad heavily laden with pre-match fluids. Insufficient room and provision in the dressing room facilities meant an inevitable queue. McCarthy (bursting) had no option but to join the Terrace Four line up that had been sampling the Drury Arms wares and were hence equally desperate.

He muttered something about the provision of only a cold water hand wash tap; to which we responded by suggesting that he had better tell his players not to get dirty, "as the showers were even colder". We won, and I remain convinced that it was our Layer Road plumbing that gave us the edge.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
A spanner in the works... on 17:02 - May 22 with 632 viewsLeadbelly

A spanner in the works... on 20:06 - May 21 by wessex_exile

We carried out the investigations in advance of the construction of a major South Coast football stadium, and as part of the 'thank you' once the stadium was built, everyone involved on our team were invited to a private tour around the stadium one evening. It really was a cracking evening out, and needless to say the beer and wine flowed (as you'd expect when 20+ archaeologists gather in one place for more than about 10 minutes). For me the tour of the dressing rooms was the most eye-opening though - forget John Beck and his antics, this was stuff that was actually built into the original design for what was even then a Premier League class of stadium.

The away dressing room was specifically designed to be L-shaped, to make it impossible for the visiting squad to gather as one unit for the manager's pre-kick off and half-time team talks.

The ceiling had been lowered to give a more cramped claustrophobic feel to the environment.

To add to the above, the walls and ceiling were (seriously) painted black!

To cap it all, mirrors had been fixed to the insides of the cubicle doors - can you imagine anything more disconcerting than having to watch yourself have a dump?

The home dressing room, by comparison, was a large open airy space (painted white naturally), beautifully lit and with refreshingly high ceilings and no bog door mirrors.

20+ archaeologists in one place! What is the collective noun for such a group? An "excavation" perhaps?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

A spanner in the works... on 19:07 - May 22 with 627 viewswessex_exile

A spanner in the works... on 23:23 - May 21 by Daniel

Which stadium was that Wessex? I'm intrigued.

As for the Brighton dump, do you reckon this is why Poyet has been suspended...

Saints preserve us Daniel, I couldn't possibly say...

Up the U's

A spanner in the works... on 19:09 - May 22 with 626 viewswessex_exile

A spanner in the works... on 17:02 - May 22 by Leadbelly

20+ archaeologists in one place! What is the collective noun for such a group? An "excavation" perhaps?

Not sure, a "piss-up" readily springs to mind, but perhaps a round of archaeologists is more appropriate?

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024