Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The story so far... 14:11 - Oct 29 with 863 viewsRSCOSWORTH

So after 14 games we have 16 points leaving us 14th in the table.

We've won three (Tied 17th)

Drawn seven (Tied 1st)

Lost four (Tied 6th)

Scored 13 (Tied 20th)

Conceded 18 (Tied 9th)

What does this tell us? That we're a team that is difficult to beat and doesn't concede many but also doesn't score many either. So tell us something we don't know!

One thing I have noticed though is that so far we've played six of the top seven teams in the division although you could argue it's seven of the top eight if you ignore Coventry's ten point deduction.

Our defeats have come against Leyton Orient (1st), Wolves (2nd), Brentford (5th/6th) and Coventry (13th/4th).

Our next four league games are against 10th, 8th, 4th and 11th so by the time we get to December we'll have played every team currently above us in the table but only five of the ten teams below us.

In conclusion if we can take some points, say 6 or 7, from our next four league games and then 12 or 13 from the following five then we could find ourselves in a pretty healthy position come the beginning of 2014.

Ultimately we need to score more goals and carry more of a goal threat. We've taken the lead in a number of games this season but we haven't deserved to win too many of them. In fact a number of our draws have been in games that we were probably lucky to get a point from.

The injury situation has been horrendous this season and doesn't look like slowing down any time soon. We're having to blood a number of young players in a kind of "sink or swim" situation and hopefully this will help them and thus us in the future.

Given the injuries we've had and the teams we've played I don't think 16 points is a bad return. If we don't start beating the teams around us and below us in the table though we could find ourselves in quite a pickle but personally I think we're going to do okay this season.

Onwards and upwards the youthful and resilient U's.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The story so far... on 16:16 - Oct 29 with 850 viewsnoah4x4

I remember posting a very similar set of statistics last year; and optimistically arguing that the U's fixtures in the lower half of the table were still to come. Thanks to miracle performances away at Bury and Carlisle; we stayed up with about a millimeter of comfort.

Then I realised that the reason so many sides that we had already played were above us was because we had failed to defeat them; including a fair number that inflicted defeats on the U's. It hence doesn't necessarily follow that those teams below us are easier tests. Indeed; our hardest battle this season (IMHO) was at Bristol City away. How we escaped with a draw that afternoon defies belief; as were were battered; but we did.

By contrast; we were tremendous at Bradford against a top side; and yet we still merely managed a draw. If only Massey's curler had hit the inside of the post instead of full on. Our problem is our own mistakes against the top sides. That day it was a Tom Eastman blunder; and against Brentford; it was misplaced passes by Craig Eastmond and Bean. Top strikers will punish us; yet their teams often don't look as good as many other sides that we beat or hold.

Funny old game - footie....
The story so far... on 16:28 - Oct 29 with 838 viewsdurham_exile

Don’t disagree with any of that RS, but let’s give the youngsters full credit.

JD fledglings are definitely a talented bunch!

Tosin Olufemi 13-5-94
Jordan Sanderson 7-8-93
Alex Gilbey 9-12-94
Drey Wright (injured) 30-4-94
Sammy Szmodics 24-9-95
Freddie Ladapo 1-2-93
Macauley Bonne 26-10-95
Mason Spence 20-11-94
Conor Hubble 29-11-94

Craig Eastmond 9-12-90
Tom Eastman 21-10-91
Gavin Massey 4-10-92
Sanchez Watt 14-2-91

Sam Walker (loan) 2-10-91
Luke Garbutt (loan) 21-5-93
Cian Bolger (loan) 12-3-92

The two that we are really missing from the current first team are Wright (Drey) and Sanchez Watt otherwise I think the combination of home grown talent and loans are doing just nicely.

Top six - bring it on!

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

The story so far... on 17:15 - Oct 29 with 832 viewsFruitbat

The story so far... on 16:28 - Oct 29 by durham_exile

Tosin Olufemi 13-5-94
Jordan Sanderson 7-8-93
Alex Gilbey 9-12-94
Sammy Szmodics 24-9-95
Freddie Ladapo 1-2-93
Macauley Bonne 26-10-95
Mason Spence 20-11-94
Conor Hubble 29-11-94

Craig Eastmond 9-12-90
Tom Eastman 21-10-91
Gavin Massey 4-10-92
Sanchez Watt 14-2-91

The two that we are really missing from the current first team are Wright (Drey) and Sanchez Watt otherwise I think the combination of home grown talent and loans are doing just nicely.

Top six - bring it on!

Up the U’s

Born in the 90s, bloody hell I feel old!
The story so far... on 18:34 - Oct 29 with 820 viewsbwildered

Wonder if the list would mange 1,000 appearance between them ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The story so far... on 06:56 - Oct 30 with 799 viewsnoah4x4

The story so far... on 17:15 - Oct 29 by Fruitbat

Born in the 90s, bloody hell I feel old!

I watched them arrive at Great Wakering Rovers last night..........on roller skates; scooters and space hoppers (here I am joking about the latter). Must confess; I did think that some might be ball boys. ...so young!

But what did impress me was that GWR had some BIG players (some had waistlines that extended the route to goal considerably) and yet our youngsters would not be knocked off the ball. They showed huge strength; balance and agility when 'shoulder to shoulder'. Whilst I have often watched these lads against U21 sides that may have a few over age players; this was a test against eleven men. GWR were perhaps NOT the most skilful opposition; but nevertheless strong men; top of the Essex League; that had scored freely in their last six games (won five; drew one). Indeed credit to them; they kept battling to the end; playing some decent football of their own at times.

The U's youngsters also played like a team that have known each other for some years.....oh...and they have too. Things are just going to get better and better. So let's praise Robbie Cowling and Joe Dunne (an the rest of the coaching team) for this vision.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2013 6:58]
The story so far... on 14:00 - Nov 4 with 723 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The story so far... on 16:28 - Oct 29 by durham_exile

Tosin Olufemi 13-5-94
Jordan Sanderson 7-8-93
Alex Gilbey 9-12-94
Sammy Szmodics 24-9-95
Freddie Ladapo 1-2-93
Macauley Bonne 26-10-95
Mason Spence 20-11-94
Conor Hubble 29-11-94

Craig Eastmond 9-12-90
Tom Eastman 21-10-91
Gavin Massey 4-10-92
Sanchez Watt 14-2-91

Top six - bring it on!

Up the U’s

Didn't realise some of them were so young. Eastmond is the "oldest" at 22! We could field a whole side of players under 23. In fact the 16 players below could be a match day squad.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The story so far... on 21:41 - Nov 4 with 708 viewsdurham_exile

The story so far... on 14:00 - Nov 4 by RSCOSWORTH

Didn't realise some of them were so young. Eastmond is the "oldest" at 22! We could field a whole side of players under 23. In fact the 16 players below could be a match day squad.

Freddie Sears could be too old for this team at the tender age of 23!!
Born 27-11-89

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The story so far... on 22:17 - Nov 4 with 706 viewsBFG

Indeed, I was in the Hippodrome before they were born!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024