Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester 2 -3 Sheffield United. FA Cup; Noah's View 21:10 - Nov 9 with 735 viewsnoah4x4

All the post-match talk in the pub was about a referee; or more to the point: a linesman that “robbed the U’s”. I have not yet had the benefit of the TV replay, but that isn’t YET my opinion; and I certainly cannot accurately judge this decisive incident from the penultimate row S of the South Stand.

If Magnus did have his arms and hands upwards protecting whatever part of his body; but unfairly preventing a Blades advantage; then it was a penalty. If they were down and he attempted to get them out of the away; then we have been harshly treated. The reaction of even the milder mannered U’s players might suggest the latter; and only the TV replay will verify. Magnus was merely two yards away when the ball was struck; but this handball isn’t in my opinion where we lost this game.

Our defending in the first half was awful. Frankly, the Blades should have been out of sight by the interval either 0-3 or 0-4. Instead; they went back to the dressing room merely 0-2 up, but suffice to suggest that the U’s should have had no way back. Maguire on ten minutes had given Sam Walker no chance from a fine free header; but where was the marking? The second goal on 12 minutes was just after a catalogue of soft U’s errors. Yet again; Magnus let us down by indecision trying to play the passing game (in doubt just hoof it!); and albeit that the goal was attributed as a Sam Walker own goal, I don’t blame the tall keeper. Indeed; Sam made a number of saves in both halves that avoided an embarrassing score line and kept us in the game. But what has happened to his kicking? He put multiple efforts directly out of play.

But what disturbed me most was the utter lack of any width. A midfield of Eastmond; Bond; Bean and Gilbey was always going to smack of being too narrow. Hence, the forward combination of Morrison and Bonne initially had zero service. Then on 45 minutes; Joe Dunne did what I had advocated versus Peterborough. Withdraw the ineffective Andy Bond (albeit that he didn’t start or play against Posh) and put Dickson at full back and Luke Garbutt AHEAD of him as a defender turned winger. Against Peterborough Joe Dunne did exactly the reverse. Here; what a transformation! Suddenly we had width and Luke Garbutt deserved his M.O.M. Macca Bonne turned up in the right place to head home; then Garbutt himself showed the merit of shooting far more often from distance. Hence 2 - 2 after 64 minutes. I have never been a great fan of Clinton Morrison; but I thought that he had his best game in U’s colours. We probably deserved to win this after a dominating come back after half time; but the damage was already done.

Sheffield United were content to run down the clock and hold the ball in the corners and waste time from early doors; and had they secured a home replay; would probably have been content. Then; the Blades got their lucky penalty break against the run of play on 81 minutes. As I said; here I reserve judgement; but the referee subsequently lost all control; and was rightfully boo’ed off (even if the penalty decision was correct). So in summary; Elton John may well tread the yellow brick road at WHCS in 2014; but the U’s won’t follow any road paved with gold into the third round. That’s fine by me; as an embarrassing defeat to a lesser club in round two might always be on the cards. Let’s get back into league focus; and enjoy the fixture gap to help sort out our injuries (and take our wives Xmas shopping!). A crowd of just 2,500 and including (I guess) merely about 200 Blades fans seemed to agree upon that sentiment........before a ball was even kicked.

UPDATE POST TV REVIEW...
Blades first goal; three Blades players clearly offside as the U's "step up",
0 - 1 to the Linesman.

Blades penalty; Magnus had his arms up for leverage as he jumped; but he failed to connect and the ball went over his shoulder; but he didn't touch it. The Blades attacker headed it back and It was definitely ball to hand; but from behind Magnus. He had zero chance of avoiding the ball striking him. I envisage that a penalty might be justified had Magnus's aloft arms connected with a player. But for ball to hand was, on reflection; very harsh. 2-3 to the linesman.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 9:35]
Colchester 2 -3 Sheffield United. FA Cup; Noah's View on 22:52 - Nov 9 with 707 viewsFruitbat

You're right Noah. We may well have been "robbed" by some dreadful officiating and our stirring second half display may have deserved at least a replay, but that game was lost in a truly bloody awful first half.
Colchester 2 -3 Sheffield United. FA Cup; Noah's View on 01:35 - Nov 10 with 695 viewswessex_exile

I saw the incident (plus numerous slo-mo repeats) thanks to someone posting a link to a live stream on the OMB. I'm afraid although there was little Magnus could do from point blank range to avoid ball-to-hand, if you jump with both arms flailing in the air, the ref is usually going to give the penalty.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Colchester 2 -3 Sheffield United. FA Cup; Noah's View on 20:15 - Nov 10 with 634 viewsgerry_us

Interesting to see the comments from the Sheffield Star today...

"Okuonghae was harshly adjudged to have deliberately handled Lappin’s centre - it was tough, tough call - but the United striker, desperate to atone for his earlier miss, was in no mood to sympathise and caressed the ball home in cool fashion"

Maybe we were unlucky after all!
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 20:16]
Colchester 2 -3 Sheffield United. FA Cup; Noah's View on 16:01 - Nov 11 with 589 viewsLeadbelly

Just watched the brief highlights on ITV website. Whilst Magnus had his arms up there is absolutely no way that was a deliberate handball, which it needs to be to constitute a foul, nor could he have avoided the ball.

Pathetic decision. Also listened to JD's comments on BBC website. No wonder he is fuming.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Colchester 2 -3 Sheffield United. FA Cup; Noah's View on 16:48 - Nov 11 with 585 viewsgerry_us

From the FA Laws of the Game.

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:

-holds an opponent
-spits at an opponent
-handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

Obviously the important word is "deliberately" and Magnus's handball can in no way be regarded as deliberate. Sorry ref for you!

Nuff said but it doesn't help our cause.
Colchester 2 -3 Sheffield United. FA Cup; Noah's View on 22:48 - Nov 13 with 542 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester 2 -3 Sheffield United. FA Cup; Noah's View on 16:48 - Nov 11 by gerry_us

From the FA Laws of the Game.

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:

-holds an opponent
-spits at an opponent
-handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

Obviously the important word is "deliberately" and Magnus's handball can in no way be regarded as deliberate. Sorry ref for you!

Nuff said but it doesn't help our cause.

Cambridge united away would have been a good game!

Another year to concentrate on the league!

About time we made it to the top six!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024