Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
61 Years Ago today......... 07:56 - Apr 3 with 1622 viewspwrightsknees

3rd April 1954, and a significant point in my life. I was 7 (so now you can work out how old I am) and my Dad and my Uncle took me to my very first match to see the U's at Layer Road. A 1-1 draw with Brighton. We kids were allowed under the metal rail (no white wall then) to sit on the shingle surrounding the pitch. I didn't know which team was which, but everyone was cheering for the team in blue and white stripes, so I did, too. The ball had a lace, I remember.

The crowd was 8,282 (I had to look that up) for a re-election battle, but we ended up having to apply for re-election to Div3 (south) with Walsall, anyway.

The team for nostalgia buffs (I had to look this up, too) in proper 2-3-5 formation was:
Goal: George Wright (wearing a green roll-neck jumper and no silly number on his back).

2. Right Back: John Harrison.
3. Left Back: Fred Lewis.

4. Right Half: Bert Hill (who scored).
5. Centre Half: Reg Stewart (who else?).
6. Left Half: Jimmy Elder.

7. Outside Right: Augie Scott.
8. Inside Right: Bob Dale.
9. Centre Forward: Ken Plant.
10. Inside Left: Johnny McKim.
11. Outside Left: Doug Keene.

It seemed only the no 4 and no 6 were allowed to take throw-ons and only the nos 7 and 11 were allowed to take corners.

Well, for better or worse, the day changed my life forever. I wouldn't have been in touch with you boys and girls, otherwise, would I?

Play up, play up, the U's and good luck today.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2015 7:59]
61 Years Ago today......... on 09:13 - Apr 3 with 1607 viewsTheOldOakTree

Long before my time, but what a lovely memory. You have certainly seen some changes, not all for the better, and a far cry from todays experience.

I wonder how many kids have been to their first game this season and will be recalling their memories in 60 years time.

I went to school with a son of Bob Dale.
61 Years Ago today......... on 10:18 - Apr 3 with 1597 viewsbwildered

The EADT did a article last week on CUFC oldest STH, Charles Chapman aged 94 , So still some way to go PWK !
Anyway great recall, who were the most well know opponent and U 's players that graced the Layer Rd turf .
Would be Intresting to hear any others first matches .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

61 Years Ago today......... on 10:55 - Apr 3 with 1591 viewswessex_exile

My first match was 20th August 1971, and I was taken to Layer Rd as a 9th birthday treat (there you go chaps, you not only now know how old I am, but when to send cake too). The opponents were Hartlepool (for years I remembered it as Hereford, but they didn't join the Football League until '72). We were at the front of Terrace 1, quite near the corner spot, and the most striking things I remember were the language, the smell of liniment, and the deafening roar when Hartlepool scored an own goal - the U's went on to win 1-0.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

61 Years Ago today......... on 15:04 - Apr 3 with 1573 viewsgerry_us

Wow! Thanks for making me feel old mate. I worked with John Harrison at Woods of Colchester and a nice guy he was. Peter Wright also ran the leisure centre at Woods at the same time. I was in revered company eh!
61 Years Ago today......... on 22:06 - Apr 3 with 1551 viewspwrightsknees

Thanks for the nice comments chaps. But my daughters have just informed me that my first visit to Layer Road was a year before the Eurovision Song Contest started.

What an exciting life I've led!
61 Years Ago today......... on 16:13 - Apr 8 with 1486 viewscarruthers

I was there too.
61 Years Ago today......... on 21:15 - Apr 8 with 1469 viewsBarsidepete

And you're back on the site, not just Facebook? What is wrong with sum our former posters who have returned? Is it something we said? Glad to see you touch base again, Car.

[Post edited 8 Apr 2015 21:16]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

61 Years Ago today......... on 21:43 - Apr 8 with 1455 viewswessex_exile

61 Years Ago today......... on 21:15 - Apr 8 by Barsidepete

And you're back on the site, not just Facebook? What is wrong with sum our former posters who have returned? Is it something we said? Glad to see you touch base again, Car.

[Post edited 8 Apr 2015 21:16]

"some of" please Pete - "summat" for the northern monkeys maybe, but we're ejukated down here.

Slugpellet though - a welcome return sir!

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

61 Years Ago today......... on 21:49 - Apr 8 with 1451 viewsBarsidepete

61 Years Ago today......... on 21:43 - Apr 8 by wessex_exile

"some of" please Pete - "summat" for the northern monkeys maybe, but we're ejukated down here.

Slugpellet though - a welcome return sir!

You actually remember Slugpellet? Nice one

mate is a bit of a "greenie" and next he'll return as BluenWhiteButterfly

*that would be Bob. I know what I'm saying this moment and time. Amused how some legends have returned. Just cool. They can match any good sites for words. Neat they are drifting back.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2015 21:55]

61 Years Ago today......... on 23:34 - Apr 8 with 1434 viewscarruthers

I am always watching this forum, making sure you are all behaving yourselves
61 Years Ago today......... on 23:39 - Apr 8 with 1429 viewswessex_exile

61 Years Ago today......... on 23:34 - Apr 8 by carruthers

I am always watching this forum, making sure you are all behaving yourselves

Well, we always try to play nice Strimm, but you know how it is - good to hear from you again though :-)

Up the U's

61 Years Ago today......... on 23:44 - Apr 8 with 1424 viewsBarsidepete

61 Years Ago today......... on 23:39 - Apr 8 by wessex_exile

Well, we always try to play nice Strimm, but you know how it is - good to hear from you again though :-)

Strim, Gotts, he has an identity crisis
[Post edited 8 Apr 2015 23:45]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024