Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday 07:52 - Feb 27 with 738 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his now established top seven charges to Blundell Park to play Grimsby on Tuesday evening. The ground is actually located in Cleethorpes and as it will be a new ground for me and I will be meeting Gerry for fish “n” chips at Steels Corner House (the restaurant comes highly recommended) prior to the match, there is plenty to look forward to.

Now on Saturday the U’s prevailed against struggling Hartlepool at fortress WHCS. Their 10 home victories are bettered in League Two only by Doncaster Rovers, but away from home only 5 teams have a worse record, with our measly 4 victories the reason why we are not already in the top three teams in the League.

Tuesday evening is an opportunity to improve on that paltry away record. In fact, our remaining away matches at Cambridge, Crewe, Notts Co, Morecambe and Orient should yield at least another three victories to enhance our promotion credentials. No disrespect to Marcos Bignot’s team but Blundell Park is the sort of plaice where we should be battering teams who have had their chips and have seen the ball nestle in their net whilst they drift aimlessly towards mid table or scrape along the bottom.

Now Saturday’s result was marred by yet another injury, this time to prolific striker Kurtis Guthrie. It is hoped that the scan he is to undergo will confirm only bruising rather than anything more serious or long term. It is a bitter blow to a team which already has horrendous injuries and which sadly seem to increase by the week.

Craig Slater was sensibly not risked on Saturday, but may have to appear on the bench on Tuesday, such is the urgent need to restore players to the paper-thin squad as our playing options are reduced. It is my hope that he is instead given more recovery time because he will be required for the important season conclusion. Sean Murray has already proven to be an able deputy and he is aware of what is expected and required in order to see the U’s maintain their lofty league position.

All this means that JM unfortunately has less to choose from and will therefore hopefully press young Huddersfield Town loanee Rekeil Pyke into a starting berth alongside Chris Porter. Lewis Kinsella, still recovering from long term injury, may well also have a position on the bench. JM might choose another midfield player to start, but in my view, it would be ill advised to isolate Porter up front and Pyke would therefore be the preferred solution.

Therefore, JM will be forced into at least one change from Saturday’s starting XI:

Possible 3,4,3, formation:

Walker

Brindley James Elokobi

Garvan Lapslie Murray Briggs

Pyke Porter Dickenson

Subs:

Barnes Wynter Vincent-Young Kinsella Fosu Edge Wright

The Mariners, although losing 3-2 to us earlier in the season, lost their best striker Omar Bogle to Wigan in the transfer window and have not performed consistently enough since. If we are seriously to mount a credible challenge for one of those key promotion positions, then three points at Blundell Park is vital.

The top seven sides are becoming more established now and I would imagine could remain in those places come the end of the season, but not necessarily in their current order. Current form would suggest that Pompey could join Doncaster and Plymouth in the three automatic places at the expense of Carlisle, but with most teams still having 13 or 14 games left there are plenty of points to be obtained in the frantic promotion run in and any team as low as 15th in the table could string some results together to achieve a play-off spot.

It should not be forgotten that we have still to play six* of the top teams at the WHCS, which will have a major bearing on final places.

Current table — top

Doncaster* 33 65
Plymouth* 32 62
Carlisle 33 58
Pompey* 32 55
Luton* 33 54
Exeter 33 51
COL U 33 50
Mansfield* 33 50
Stevenage* 33 49

Additionally, looking ahead to the final day fixtures to be played on 6 May at 5.30pm, there are some interesting games:

Exeter v Carlisle
Grimsby v Plymouth
Hartlepool v Doncaster
Luton v Morecambe
Pompey v Cheltenham
Wycombe v Cambridge

What I am saying therefore is keep 28th May free in your diaries!!!!

Safe journey to the travelling faithful on Tuesday night. Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 16:39 - Feb 27 with 691 viewsthrillseeker

And that preview is why I enjoy this forum.

A great post DE
Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 17:39 - Feb 27 with 677 viewsgerry_us

Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 16:39 - Feb 27 by thrillseeker

And that preview is why I enjoy this forum.

A great post DE

Bet you were joining us for fish and chips.
Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 18:32 - Feb 27 with 665 viewsnoah4x4

Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 17:39 - Feb 27 by gerry_us

Bet you were joining us for fish and chips.

Dare say a few of us will Gerry, but much depends on relativity to pub. Beer priorities usually dictate a quick pie in the ground.

But there are a fair few of us travelling.
Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 21:12 - Feb 27 with 634 viewsgerry_us

Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 18:32 - Feb 27 by noah4x4

Dare say a few of us will Gerry, but much depends on relativity to pub. Beer priorities usually dictate a quick pie in the ground.

But there are a fair few of us travelling.

A mile unfortunately but best chippy for miles.
Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 22:44 - Feb 27 with 608 viewsBlue4U2

Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 21:12 - Feb 27 by gerry_us

A mile unfortunately but best chippy for miles.

Thanks Durham, informative as always
Just curious as to why you line up the defence as you do.
Surely it should be James Elokobi Briggs with Brindley and Dickenson providing the width ?
Up the super depleted U's!!
Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 23:13 - Feb 27 with 597 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners will be all at sea against the Super U's on Tuesday on 22:44 - Feb 27 by Blue4U2

Thanks Durham, informative as always
Just curious as to why you line up the defence as you do.
Surely it should be James Elokobi Briggs with Brindley and Dickenson providing the width ?
Up the super depleted U's!!

Blue - probably just as well that I am not the manager!

My thoughts are as follows:

Right Back is currently a toss up between Richard Brindley and Kane Vincent-Young. My vote goes to Brindley who I think is the better defender. Vincent-Young is often used as a right sided midfield player but JM often uses Drey Wright in that position. Wright is pacy but often overruns the ball or attempts to take on one too many defenders.

Fosu would be an alternative for right midfield (right half in old money) but for all his trickery he can drift in and out of games.

I am a big Dion Sembie-Ferris fan and perhaps next season he will make the right midfield come right wing position his own.

The left side is very strong with Big George Left Back, Matt Briggs (rejuvenated) as Left midfield and Brennan Dickenson left wing. Some of the crosses that he made against Accrington Stanley were simply superb and both Porter and Guthrie should have scored second half.

Injuries have forced JM's hand but do not forget that he took the decision to play three at the back with Eastman Kent and Elokobi, it also freed up Brindley to play right midfield. We badly miss both Kent and Eastman and neither will play again this season I suspect through injury. However Cameron James has been a revelation and has shown that the Academy has produced some real quality for the side.

I truly hope that young Pyke is given a start at Grimsby. Porter is no longer able to plough a lonely furrow up front and requires the physical presence of Guthrie (now sadly also injured) therefore step in Rekeil Pyke who although young has strength and I am sure will rise to the occasion at Blundell Park if given the opportunity.

Garvan is simply brilliant and Lapslie will suffice until Szmodics returns. That sounds dismissive and I do not mean it to. Lapslie has been excellent but physically he often loses out in the center of the park.

Craig Slater has not been right since the Exeter game and it is good that Sean Murray can play a similar role. Slater if rested now can return for the big challenges ahead; Pompey, Plymouth etc etc.

Macauley Bonne on loan (again) at the Cards has blotted his copybook, he tries hard but has failed to deliver when it matters. I wouldnt be surprised to see him move on in the summer.

I think that the 3,4,3 is a good formation particularly with our current limited resources.

We cannot sustain any more injuries, that is a truism. The list is frightening.

Therefore I hope that JM goes with the 3,4,3 tomorrow night. We need the three points.

Walker
Brindley James Elokobi
Garvan Lapslie Murray Briggs
Pyke Porter Dickenson

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024