Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's must learn to win away to prevent becoming sub-mariners 16:23 - Mar 1 with 478 viewsdurham_exile

JM took his charges to Blundell Park last night on the back of two home victories. Unfortunately, I witnessed another disappointing away defeat to leave the U’s outside of the top seven in what is becoming a very close league, with most teams dropping points with alarming regularity.

Most concerning of course is the U’s inability to secure away victories. There is little point in bemoaning our wretched injury crisis. We are we are and there is little that can be done other than working hard to get the players fit. The situation with Kurtis Guthrie is one that requires close scrutiny. His presence or not could ultimately be the reason whether we achieve a top seven finish or not.

Anyway, before mulling over the defeat, I should point out that having met Gerry in Cleethorpes we enjoyed some of the best fish “n” chips that you could hope to find anywhere. Steels Corner House Fish Restaurant is located in Cleethorpes about 150 metres from the sea front (the tide was in last night, but normally it would be akin to Morecambe Bay with a half mile walk to the sea). The restaurant occupies a prominent corner position and once inside you can immediately see why it is highly recommended. At 6pm last evening it was absolutely heaving inside. Gerry had booked a table and this was essential because not only was the downstairs full but also the upstairs was filling fast.

The waitress took our order and we opted for the medium haddock and chips. This came with bread and butter and either tea or coffee. Now the medium size was a good choice because the plate was sumptuously covered by a supreme fillet of haddock with beautiful crisp, dry chips. The size of the fish belied the name medium. None was wasted and we both agreed that it was a gastronomic feast. Now of course because it was Shrove Tuesday pancakes were also on the menu and Gerry opted for a syrup one whilst I enjoyed lemon with mine.

Now the glass half empty brigade could be forgiven for thinking that the evening at Blundell Park went downhill after that and sadly it did with the now familiar away defeat. Unlike Accrington however where we failed to show up in the first 45 minutes, we dominated Grimsby in possession, chances and ability.

The U’s lined up 3,4,2,1:

Walker

Wright James Elokobi

Lapslie Murray Garvan Briggs

Fosu Dickenson

Porter

Subs:

Barnes Vincent-Young Wynter Slater Pyke Kinsella Edge

Before the game I hoped (and wrote as much) that Pyke might start and was disappointed when he was only on the bench, more later.

We might have scored two goals early on in the proceedings. The lively Fosu struck the upright from 25 yards and then was presented with an opportunity from an acute angle which keeper McKeown saved with his legs. Frankly the Mariners could have had no complaints if we had scored two or three in the first half.

Now the faithful of whom 141 had made the trek from Colchester were in good voice and playing the percussion with great gusto until two stewards weighed in and confiscated the drum. This abuse of their “human rights” was greeted with much derision and consternation and rightly so.

Gerry discovered at half time that on Saturdays, you could perform with the London Philharmonic Orchestra inside Blundell Park or perhaps Def Leppard, but evening games are music free because of local residents who have complained about noise. This of course was not the reason or the justification for the library like atmosphere from the home fans. They knew that they were in a match and that their team was being outplayed by the mighty U’s.

Then two minutes before half time disaster struck. The normally excellent Owen Garvan lost the ball cheaply in midfield. Dyson collected the ball and hoovered up the left wing, committed young Cameron James (who had another very good game) and from the by-line sucked the ball back to Jones who scored despite the best efforts of Big George on the line. A clean sweep from the striker.

It was a lead that they neither deserved nor merited on their first half performance. So half time and there was much talk of fish and chip suppers. The consensus being that Grimsby served decent food whether in Cleethorpes or at outlets near the stadium.

Now JM did not make any substitutions at half time and this I believe was a mistake. He needed to change it up a bit and fresh legs in the form of young Pyke would have been a wise move. I do hope that he starts him at Cambridge on Saturday.

Grimsby decided to adopt spoiling tactics by slowing the game right down and wasting as much time as the referee would allow (which was considerable). Only 5 minutes were added on by Mr Drysdale. Frustration was growing amongst the U’s and Garvan, Fosu and Murray all went into the book for fouls. It is Sean Murray’s that I wish to focus on. I was present at the Blackpool game when he was red carded for a bad tackle. Last evening he was lucky to escape with only a yellow. His physical approach to the game is fine providing that he doesn’t overstep the mark. He makes rash challenges and last night he was close to another three game ban. This reckless approach must stop and quickly. Garvan was still frustrated about his mistake in the first half and Fosu similarly after losing the ball. Owen Garvan should not be criticised however. He has been the mainstay of the U’s midfield and is being asked to play three games a week at present which his body is unable to maintain.

As Grimsby’s rearguard retreated ever deeper they brought on a former U’s favourite in Scotty “too hotty” Vernon. He was actually booed by some of the (younger) faithful but I thought he put in quite a cameo last night for the last 5 minutes. Dom Vose however failed to make it off the bench.

Now our bench is wafer thin with Craig Slater appearing in name only to make up the seven bodies. JM only deployed two substitutes last evening with Pyke for Lapslie on 75 mins and Vincent-young for Wright after 80 mins.

This is the first time that I have seen Rekeil Pyke play and he was impressive. Sharp, pacy and with a good touch of the ball to keep moves going in the 15 or so minutes that he enjoyed. He must start on Saturday without doubt.

Fosu too must start he was industrious and pacy whilst Drey Wright was ill at ease at the back and it was clear that we were missing Richard Brindley.

The annoying thing about the defeat was that we were the better team, but lacked that creativity and clinical finish in front of goal. Pyke can give us that on Saturday.

After Saturday we get a week’s rest before Pompey come to town with over 2,250 baying for Naval manoeuvres. The U’s team needs that 7 day period of inactivity after the recent full on three games a week.

There are only 12 games of the season to play (play offs notwithstanding) 7 home and 5 away.

Homes: Pompey, Mansfield, Luton, Stevenage, Doncaster, Plymouth and Yeovil
Away: Cambridge, Crewe, Notts Co, Morecambe, Orient

We have 50 points at present, 24 more will secure a top seven place. It may take 8 victories from those 12 games; making a vast improvement in our away form absolutely vital.

Home: W 10 D 2 L 4 Goals 32 F 21 A
Away: W 4 D 6 L 8 Goals 18 F 22 A

Suggest 5 more home victories and 3 away to confirm that crucial place.

Table as at 28 Feb 17:

Doncaster 34 68
Plymouth 33 62
Carlisle 34 58
Pompey 33 56
Luton 33 54
Exeter 34 54
Stevenage 34 52
Mansfield 34 51
COL U 34 50

JM may have to be more adventurous particularly away from home. There is no point in dominating possession if the scoreline remains zero. The Abbey stadium with over 1350 of the faithful present must witness a U’s victory to maintain momentum and set us up for the Pompey game. Defeat is not an option.

More later.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 1 Mar 2017 17:13]

Durham_exile

Super U's must learn to win away to prevent becoming sub-mariners on 18:58 - Mar 1 with 444 viewsgerry_us

You didn't have to snitch on me that I had syrup on my pancake!
Firmly believe that if our early strike that hit the post had actually gone in we would have walked it. Being so superior to Grimsby in everything other than goals is a worry. I know I bang on about him and his face obviously doesn't fit at the club but I firmly believe Macca Bonne would have taken at least one of the several chances we had.
Still tight at the top though so everything still to play for but our run to the end of the season is tough, especially without a regular and reliable goal scorer.
Keep the faith Durham. Remember...keep smiling at home
Super U's must learn to win away to prevent becoming sub-mariners on 10:05 - Mar 2 with 377 viewsMoor_Pinot

Brilliant post Durham. Thank you so much. I could taste the f/c from here!
Exiled as I am such reports are totally invaluable. Thank you.

We seem to be very inconsistent again, at just the wrong time. The form of teams like Stevenage is much better placed for the top 7 and I fear our injuries etc may just push us back. Indeed form points to a top half finish - little more. At the moment! Away form is indeed rather weak.

Gerry - I agree on Bonne. I know nowt of any internal politics but the lad hasn't had much of a chance. He was a hero with the winner v Peterborough 3 years back in Div 1 but wasn't persevered with. He got 4 at Wealdstone but didn't start the next game. Indeed, how many starts has Boonne actually had? He probably isn't the answer but from afar his scarcity of appearances seems strange. Of course the U's do sometimes mis-manage players and Peter mentions a cameo from Vernon who I always felt was someone we didn't fully appreciate.
But, anyway, with so many injuries someone needs to take some responsibility and turn dominance into results. I cannot forsee anything on Saturday either and although we have many home games most are against the top 6 or 7. It is indeed a tough run in which will ultimately prove who we are at the present time.

Up the 'not in the bottom 6' U's.

Moor Pinot

Super U's must learn to win away to prevent becoming sub-mariners on 14:06 - Mar 2 with 357 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's must learn to win away to prevent becoming sub-mariners on 10:05 - Mar 2 by Moor_Pinot

Brilliant post Durham. Thank you so much. I could taste the f/c from here!
Exiled as I am such reports are totally invaluable. Thank you.

We seem to be very inconsistent again, at just the wrong time. The form of teams like Stevenage is much better placed for the top 7 and I fear our injuries etc may just push us back. Indeed form points to a top half finish - little more. At the moment! Away form is indeed rather weak.

Gerry - I agree on Bonne. I know nowt of any internal politics but the lad hasn't had much of a chance. He was a hero with the winner v Peterborough 3 years back in Div 1 but wasn't persevered with. He got 4 at Wealdstone but didn't start the next game. Indeed, how many starts has Boonne actually had? He probably isn't the answer but from afar his scarcity of appearances seems strange. Of course the U's do sometimes mis-manage players and Peter mentions a cameo from Vernon who I always felt was someone we didn't fully appreciate.
But, anyway, with so many injuries someone needs to take some responsibility and turn dominance into results. I cannot forsee anything on Saturday either and although we have many home games most are against the top 6 or 7. It is indeed a tough run in which will ultimately prove who we are at the present time.

Up the 'not in the bottom 6' U's.

Pinault - good to hear from you and thank you for your kind words..

I have looked at the appearance record of Macauley Bonne (courtesy of Soccerbase):

Since Oct 13 he has made a total of 76 appearances for Colchester
25 starts and 51 from the bench and has scored 14 goals

This season he has had two loan spells with Lincoln in Aug 16 - 5 appearances, two from the bench and scored one goal

More recently with Woking (the Cards) Jan 17, where he made 5 appearances, two from the bench and scored no goals.

He has returned to Colchester this week and is training with the Squad at Florence Park.

Given our paucity of fit strikers he may well join the squad for Cambridge on saturday. I do not know exactly what has gone on behind the scenes, he did sign a two year deal in June 2016, but has either not played or more recently has plied his trade on loan at non league clubs.

I would imagine that this is probably his last real opportunity to force his way into JM's thinking.

I am a fan of Dion Sembie-Ferris, but I suspect that JM reckons he has sufficient right sided midfield come winger cover and so he will stay at Concord for the moment.

Having only seen Rekeil Pyke for 15 mins at Grimsby, I was very impressed - he looks a real prospect (similar to Jacob Murphy) . I hope that JM has the courage to start with two strikers because I'm afraid that Cambridge is now a must win game especially as we have not won an away match since New Year's Day.

Weather today in Durham is glorious sunshine but there is a chilly breeze!

Take care.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024