Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex 17:02 - Mar 3 with 982 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his drastically depleted charges to the Cambs Glass Stadium, home to Cambridge United. I still refer to it as the Abbey Stadium and I first went there in November 1976 to see a 1-1 draw in the FA Cup. Colchester won the subsequent reply at Layer Road, which upset Big Ron, the then Cambridge Manager.

Now let’s get the elephant in the room (well actually there are so many that it’s actually a parade) out of the way first; Colchester United injuries.

Presently injured, some for the season and sadly some have never kicked a ball (incredible but true) or saved a shot for the first team:

Brill
Brindley
Doyley
Eastman — (season)
Grandison
Guthrie — (season)
Johnstone — (season)
Kent — (season)
Loft
O’Sullivan
Prosser — (season)
Slater — (season)

Of those it is Kent, Eastman, Guthrie and Slater, that we are missing the most.

Now we are where we are and there is no point in bemoaning that fact. I would prefer to be positive and remark that Kinsella and Szmodics are coming back to first team action and Macca Bonne has completed his loan spell at the Cards. One of my favourites Dion Sembie-Ferris is still at Concord Rangers however.

That leaves the thinnest of squads to carry the flag for the Super U’s. Roman Coaches are now considering providing a 29 seater for away games (after the coach breakdown on the return trip from Grimsby, it would seem that the gremlins are mechanical as well as physical).

Frankly we have had 5 years of injuries but this season is by far and away the worst.

I had to smile recently when I read that Plymouth, Pompey and Cambridge are all hoping for news concerning injuries with Miller, Linganzi and Corr respectively all hoping to be fit soon. Well wake up and smell the coffee, because you don’t have a monopoly on injuries.

I notice this week that SB has been more prominent in matters Colchester and I suspect that JM has been taking afternoons to simply lie in a darkened room pondering whether he has walked under ladders or run over black cats to incur this much ill fortune. Tony Flynn meanwhile is having the physio suites enlarged at both Florence Park and the WHCS, such is the business that is being drummed up! Talking of which the percussion WILL be available at Cambridge on Saturday after being unceremoniously removed by the Grimsby stewards on Tuesday night.

Now of course any CUFC v CUFC encounter is always spicy (but not acrimonious like Southend or Ipswich) and former U’s legend Joe Dunne is number 2 to Shaun Derry at the Cambs Glass stadium.

Perhaps there is more chance of confrontation on the touchline than on the field of play on Saturday. Cambridge sit in 12th place with 46 points from 33 games whilst the Super U’s are 9th with 50 points from 34 games. Cambridge have lost 8 home matches, whilst we have lost 8 away. A nailed-on draw, not a bit of it, I am confidently predicting a Colchester win. Spurred on by 1400 of the faithful, JM will not need to motivate his charges to improve on their poor away record. In fact, they should have returned from Blundell Park with at least a point; it is their lack of clinical finishing that has let them down since New Year’s Eve after that classy win at Stevenage Borough.

Cambridge meanwhile have their own crisis, that of penalty taking. Now should the unthinkable happen and we concede a penalty, I understand that the Cambridge team are going to draw lots to see who will step up to take the spot kick, having missed the last four including one against Donny Rovers on Tuesday night. Now I’m not tempting fate, but all the pressure is on them in this regard!

JM knows that with only 12 games to play (7 home and 5 away) three points on Saturday are absolutely crucial to not only staying in the top seven, but also sending out a statement of intent before the huge game at home to Pompey a week later.

The most bizarre detail of all is that despite the injury crisis, JM has a real problem with team selection this weekend. He has, as stated earlier, Sammy Szmodics and Lewis Kinsella back in contention to provide a timely boost, but I would not risk either for the full 90 minutes. Let them warm the bench and perhaps see some second half action.

My selection would be:

Walker

Vincent-Young James Elokobi

Garvan Fosu Murray Briggs

Pyke Porter Dickenson

Subs:
Barnes Wynter Kinsella Szmodics Bonne Wright Dunne

The thinking is that with Brindley out, Kane Vincent-Young is the preferred choice. Fosu over Wright to start because his trickery and pace will unsettle the Cambridge defence. Cameron James has been sensational since coming into the side and Big George is loving his football at the moment. Brennan Dickenson should be allowed to come inside from his left-wing position and I would like to see the net bulge with one of his pile drivers. Rekeil Pyke, I think should start, I saw enough in his 15-minute cameo to suggest that he has the ability to replace Kurtis Guthrie and his pace, invention and deft touch on the ball will only be positive for the team. He was loaned from Huddersfield to score goals, let him do so. The amount of possession and attractive approach play counts for nothing if we cannot translate chances into goals.

The bench offers much in both defence and going forward and JM should deploy Szmodics, Bonne and Wright if and when changes are made.

All the ingredients are in place for a classic encounter. A bumper crowd, the hordes of the faithful, looking to see their champions do the double over their near neighbours. A spicy local derby and a Super U’s victory.
Bring it on.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game (and the three points).

Up the Super U’s

Durham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 21:20 - Mar 3 with 926 viewsLeadbelly

Excellent preview as ever Durham.

One observation...I'm pretty sure you can add Brill to those out for the season. ACL apparently. And can Loft be added to the list as well?

Anyway, my first away game since Bramall Lane a couple of years ago and really looking forward to it.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 21:27 - Mar 3 with 923 viewsdurham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 21:20 - Mar 3 by Leadbelly

Excellent preview as ever Durham.

One observation...I'm pretty sure you can add Brill to those out for the season. ACL apparently. And can Loft be added to the list as well?

Anyway, my first away game since Bramall Lane a couple of years ago and really looking forward to it.

LB you are absolutely right about Brill. Loft apparently was carrying an injury when he arrived, had been playing through the pain and I reckon we won't see him again this season.

Equally O'Sullivan.

Really hope you enjoy the game tomorrow, three points are vital.

In other news Leeds have just scored their third at St Andrews to secure the points.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 21:52 - Mar 3 with 914 viewsLeadbelly

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 21:27 - Mar 3 by durham_exile

LB you are absolutely right about Brill. Loft apparently was carrying an injury when he arrived, had been playing through the pain and I reckon we won't see him again this season.

Equally O'Sullivan.

Really hope you enjoy the game tomorrow, three points are vital.

In other news Leeds have just scored their third at St Andrews to secure the points.

Up the U's

I got home in time to see the whole second half. Excellent result.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 14:58 - Mar 4 with 845 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's line up

Walker
Wright James Elokobi
Lapslie Garvan Murray Briggs
Fosu Porter Dickenson

Subs
Barnes Vincent-Young Wynter Kinsella Szmodics Bonne Pyke

Up the U's

Durham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 15:34 - Mar 4 with 836 viewsgerry_us

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 14:58 - Mar 4 by durham_exile

Super U's line up

Walker
Wright James Elokobi
Lapslie Garvan Murray Briggs
Fosu Porter Dickenson

Subs
Barnes Vincent-Young Wynter Kinsella Szmodics Bonne Pyke

Up the U's

No Pyke then? Hope he gets more game time than Tuesday.
There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:35 - Mar 4 with 826 viewsdurham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 15:34 - Mar 4 by gerry_us

No Pyke then? Hope he gets more game time than Tuesday.

Gerry Pyke finally on after 63 mins.
Chasing the game again
13 mins plus injury
Desperately need an equaliser
Up the U's

Durham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:39 - Mar 4 with 824 viewsdurham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:35 - Mar 4 by durham_exile

Gerry Pyke finally on after 63 mins.
Chasing the game again
13 mins plus injury
Desperately need an equaliser
Up the U's

Ball in the net but offside come on the U's

Durham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:41 - Mar 4 with 822 viewsdurham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:39 - Mar 4 by durham_exile

Ball in the net but offside come on the U's

1-1 at last

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:43 - Mar 4 with 821 viewsdurham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:41 - Mar 4 by durham_exile

1-1 at last

Up the U's

Sammy Szmodics

Durham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 17:21 - Mar 4 with 811 viewsburnsieespana

Decent point given our situation.
Would have this time last week gone for a point at Grimsby and none at Cambridge so about where I expected.
With all our injuries what a chance it gives some of the younger players.
There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 17:24 - Mar 4 with 808 viewsgerry_us

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:43 - Mar 4 by durham_exile

Sammy Szmodics

Not a bad result when looking at all the other results. Pyke and Sammy need to start next game if we are to maintain contact with the playoff positions. Need a bit of unpredictability up front as we were too predictable Tuesday.
There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:41 - Mar 5 with 658 viewsdurham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 17:24 - Mar 4 by gerry_us

Not a bad result when looking at all the other results. Pyke and Sammy need to start next game if we are to maintain contact with the playoff positions. Need a bit of unpredictability up front as we were too predictable Tuesday.

Have just looked at the footage of yesterday's game.

After the disallowed goal from Macca Bonne, the camera pans around to the Cambridge bench. Does it look as though Joe Dunne raises his arms in disappointment - interested in views.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:47 - Mar 5 with 653 viewsgerry_us

There's only one CUFC and we're from Essex on 16:41 - Mar 5 by durham_exile

Have just looked at the footage of yesterday's game.

After the disallowed goal from Macca Bonne, the camera pans around to the Cambridge bench. Does it look as though Joe Dunne raises his arms in disappointment - interested in views.

Up the U's

...or relief?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024