Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team 20:31 - Apr 7 with 860 viewsdurham_exile

It’s not the despair, I can take the despair. It’s the hope I can’t stand.

One of the John Cleese quotes as the hapless Headteacher Brian Stimpson in the underrated film Clockwise, but it sums up brilliantly the lot of a Colchester United supporter.

Prior to last week’s game at Notts County we noted the threat from Amoebi and Stead. Of course, it was Amoebi who played brilliantly and stole the show with two well taken goals. However, Chris Porter scored one of the best goals that you could wish to see to give the U’s hope.

In the end, of course it was the curse of the Away game that led to the faithful singing “will we ever win away?”

Things got off to the worst possible start when Gerry and I failed to find the restaurant that we had arranged to meet at. Instead we joined many of the home faithful in a local hostelry and then “enjoyed” a pie and cheese and onion pasty from the club facilities.

The pitch looked uneven and bumpy but the day was set reasonably fair and the faithful of which 417 had made the journey were in good voice amongst a crowd of 6,104.

JM had lined his charges up thus:

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Wright Brindley Lapslie Murray Dickenson

Pyke Porter

Subs:

Brill Briggs Wynter Kinsella O’Sullivan Fosu Bonne

Now we cannot avoid conceding an early goal away from home and Meadow Lane was no different. On 7 minutes the ball bounced around the Colchester box after Amoebi had hit the post and it was forced home by Hollis.

Colchester though were not dismayed by falling behind and deservedly equalised on 21 minutes when Porter received a throw in ghosted between two defenders and let fly with his left foot and into the far side of the goal. Cue rapturous applause and celebrations from the faithful. Now this was the moment to stamp our authority on the game. However, Colchester reverted to playing one up top with Pyke going deeper and becoming less effective by the minute.

The result was that County became more encouraged and in the 35th minute the unfortunate Cameron James was poleaxed by a shot from Hewitt (ex Col U) and whilst prone in the penalty area Amoebi fired past Walker. 2-1 down and after lengthy treatment James continued but he was clearly badly affected by the injury and was replaced at half time by Matt Briggs.

This disrupted our defence at a critical time in the game and try as we could we made no real impression on the county goal. When Amoebi headed a third on 73 minutes the game was up.

It was only then that JM made the final two subs with Fosu on for Lapslie and Bonne for the ineffectual Pyke. An effort from Porter on 82 minutes might have found the net but it was yet another defeat away from fortress WHCS.

The result of course should have put paid to any lingering promotion hopes, but while it is still mathematically possible to gain a top seven spot, we should continue to hope. That of course is the problem, despair can be coped with, hope less so!!!

6 games remain and with 57 points another 18 could be garnered and 75 would definitely do but 72 might be enough. There’s that hope again.

Stevenage provide the opposition on Saturday with Darren Sarll’s team arriving at the WHCS in a very handy fourth place in the table. It is of course a must win game for the U’s to keep any hopes alive.

Then of course we entertain league leaders Doncaster, who will probably be promoted by then before we play at Morecambe, then Plymouth come to the WHCS then we play doomed Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road, before the final league game at home to Yeovil on May 6th.

I reckon 15 points will do but can we obtain them. Do we have the quality on the field to win the required games, can we win away from home? We will never have a better opportunity than at Morecambe and Orient.

The team is likely to be unchanged for the visit of Stevenage:

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Wright Brindley Lapslie Murray

Pyke Porter Dickenson

Subs:

Brill Briggs Wynter Kinsella O’Sullivan Fosu Bonne

It is win or bust, simple as.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 21:04 - Apr 7 with 855 viewsbwildered

Wonder if there was skid pan training during the week ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 21:26 - Apr 7 with 852 viewsgerry_us

Thought I had missed something last week Peter as Noah reported we had played two up front last Saturday! My take on the game was that we just humped it up to Porter passing the midfield who then headed it on. Unfortunately he was "always" the furthest forward and he seemed unable or unwilling to head it back to colleagues hence the Notts defenders had an easy afternoon. This is not critical of Porter, just a plea to get more guys around or ahead of him. It's not rocket science. I, however do not expect to see any major changes...unless we have a change at the top.
Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 21:57 - Apr 7 with 848 viewsdurham_exile

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 21:26 - Apr 7 by gerry_us

Thought I had missed something last week Peter as Noah reported we had played two up front last Saturday! My take on the game was that we just humped it up to Porter passing the midfield who then headed it on. Unfortunately he was "always" the furthest forward and he seemed unable or unwilling to head it back to colleagues hence the Notts defenders had an easy afternoon. This is not critical of Porter, just a plea to get more guys around or ahead of him. It's not rocket science. I, however do not expect to see any major changes...unless we have a change at the top.

Gerry, against Pompey at home Porter was isolated up front, JM must give Porter more support. Pyke and Bonne playing up front with him is not going to happen, but I agree with you Porter won the ball more than a dozen times but each time the knock down or on found only a County defender.

Make or break tomorrow.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 15:38 - Apr 8 with 792 viewsgerry_us

Poor start again then!
3-0 U's after 35 minutes. What are we doing today that we didn't last week. Any ideas?
Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 15:41 - Apr 8 with 789 viewsgerry_us

Eh! 4-0
Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 15:56 - Apr 8 with 780 viewsdurham_exile

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 15:41 - Apr 8 by gerry_us

Eh! 4-0

Gerry it is the Jekyll and Hyde performances between home and away fixtures.

Colchester winning today will promote Doncaster so next week we need Rovers to take their foot off the gas.

Then Morecambe Away, Plymouth at the WHCS leaving Orient away and finishing with Yeovil at home.

Get your diary cleared for 28 May.

Enjoy the Caribbean.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 16:00 - Apr 8 with 776 viewsgerry_us

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 15:56 - Apr 8 by durham_exile

Gerry it is the Jekyll and Hyde performances between home and away fixtures.

Colchester winning today will promote Doncaster so next week we need Rovers to take their foot off the gas.

Then Morecambe Away, Plymouth at the WHCS leaving Orient away and finishing with Yeovil at home.

Get your diary cleared for 28 May.

Enjoy the Caribbean.

Up the U's

It's a good job we are not at WHCS today Peter.
Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 16:23 - Apr 8 with 772 viewsdurham_exile

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 16:00 - Apr 8 by gerry_us

It's a good job we are not at WHCS today Peter.

I agree Gerry, but I will be at Morecambe!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 16:29 - Apr 8 with 767 viewsgerry_us

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 16:23 - Apr 8 by durham_exile

I agree Gerry, but I will be at Morecambe!!!!

Up the U's

Spend the day on the beach please
Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 18:47 - Apr 8 with 733 viewsdurham_exile

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 16:29 - Apr 8 by gerry_us

Spend the day on the beach please

Gerry - we are right back in the mix now.

Up the Super U's

Durham_exile

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 19:20 - Apr 8 with 721 viewsgerry_us

Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 18:47 - Apr 8 by durham_exile

Gerry - we are right back in the mix now.

Up the Super U's

Possibly....but rather glad I am leaving the country soon. A win against Donnie would really make the last few weeks interesting. Why will the U's not let us rest and accept Div.2 next season? Sorry I can't join you at Morcambe but I will be on the beach as you should be.
Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 19:36 - Apr 8 with 715 viewsoxfcolu

Made the trip to Colchester today.
Talk about jeckil and Hyde performances.
Fantastic first half and could have been more in the second.
What will happen next week who knows.
Simply a must win at the WHCS tomorrow for JM's team on 07:33 - Apr 9 with 650 viewsbwildered

A blown away performance in the first half settled this game early . With two OG 's by the visitors it look at times thirteen verse nine up to the break .
Strangely Big Sam made more saves than his opposite number, with a particular smart double which stopped any though of getting back into the game midway through the first half .
Although a goalless second half, perhaps the only gripe, which also stands for the season, we have not scored enough goals on the break .
League leaders and promoted Donny looms ... Crucifixion anybody ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024