Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise 21:44 - Apr 28 with 2149 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his charges to the penultimate game of the season against Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road on Saturday, knowing that three-point s and a further three against Yeovil in the final game may not be enough to secure a play-off spot.

First though some reflection from last week’s trip to the WHCS for a thoroughly entertaining game against the Pilgrims.

I travelled the 265 miles from Durham arriving in good time to peruse the souvenirs in the club shop. The journey was very good and the weather was dry with some sunshine. Inside the WHCS the pitch was probably the very best that I have seen since the stadium opened in 2008. It was immaculate and part of the reason for our excellent home form this season. In fact, Joe Davis could have played billiards on it such was the quality of the baize.

A healthy attendance of 5,432 with 1,025 travelling from Devon made for a decent atmosphere. Plymouth had certainly come to try and win the game, whilst Colchester knew that they really had to secure maximum points to give a real chance of the play offs.

Colchester lined up:

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Brindley Lapslie Murray Fosu

Wright Porter Dickenson

Subs:

Brill Briggs Wynter Bonne O’Sullivan Loft Pyke

This really was the game where, with some more good fortune, Chris Porter could have scored four goals. Sadly, he missed them all, the worst, a horrible missed header when well-placed from a delightful cross from Brennan Dickenson on 37 minutes.

Big George Elokobi (who deservedly won MOTM) was unfairly cautioned by the referee for a fierce challenge in the first half on Taylor.

Plymouth had their moments with a cross shot from Sarcevic narrowly missing Walker’s far post. But this was a game where Colchester were dominant without converting the one chance that their play deserved.

The second half brought more opportunities without the U’s able to capitalise, whilst Plymouth demonstrated their Away credentials (13 victories on the road) with some stout and robust defending.

JM brought young Pyke into the action on 75 minutes for the tiring Fosu who had played very well and showed many creative touches. The excellent Lapslie who ran tirelessly was substituted after 80 minutes with Doug Loft gaining some more playing minutes.

However, it was Macca Bonne who once again was on the bench but missed out on any game time.

Towards the final whistle, Chris Porter had two more opportunities to break the deadlock when on 83 minutes he turned smartly, but his ground shot grazed the upright of McCormick’s goal whilst a free kick from Richard Brindley was headed over the goal.

Unfortunately, the drawn game means that it is still two seasons since I last witnessed a U’s victory. Incredible but true!

Tomorrow brings another challenge. A team already relegated to the Fifth Tier of English football with an unpopular owner in Francesco Becchetti who can often be seen in his Mayfair Mansion worth a reputed £25M. Whilst Manager Omer Riza must preside a team short on confidence and without Gavin Massey again.

Leyton Orient have made the game all ticket. Protests from the fans are predicted. Colchester must ensure that they do a professional job on Orient and must not be distracted by marches, sit ins, protests, banners etc. The faithful will be there in number with over 1200 tickets sold so far. The atmosphere will be superb and the U’s know that three points is the target.

It will be akin to the match at Belle Vue Doncaster when a Rovers team already relegated hosted the U’s. There were “funeral marches”, a coffin, a sit in protest by about 200 supporters and at least 7 incursions onto the playing surface during the game. Colchester won 1-0 that day which secured a ply off spot. As stated earlier two wins are vital and may not be enough but we must try.

Ultimately 4 away wins have been insufficient and I fear that we will fall short but JM must motivate his players to win them both.

I suspect that an unchanged starting line up to last Saturday will be the order of the day:

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Brindley Lapslie Murray Fosu

Wright Porter Dickenson

Subs:

Brill Briggs Wynter Bonne O’Sullivan Loft Pyke

The table is still too close to predict:

Doncaster 44 85 - Exeter H, Hartlepool A
Plymouth 44 83 — Crewe H, Grimsby A
Pompey 44 81 — Mansfield A, Cheltenham H

Luton 44 71 — Accrington A, Morecambe H
Exeter 44 68 — Doncaster A, Carlisle H
Blackpool 44 67 — Notts Co A, Orient H
Stevenage 44 66 — Yeovil A, Accrington H

Mansfield 44 65 — Pompey H, Crawley A
Wycombe 44 65 — Morecambe A, Cambridge H
Carlisle 44 65 — Newport H, Exeter A
Cambridge 44 63 — Crawley H, Wycombe A
COL U 44 63 - Orient A, Yeovil H
Accrington 44 62 — Luton H, Stevenage A

I’m sure that U’s fans have all considered the permutations but in the final analysis, we cannot influence the table. We must simply win and finish on 69 points and hope that this will be good enough to secure seventh place.

It will go to the wire.

Tomorrow the U’s faithful will roar them to success at an emotional Brisbane Road.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful, enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 23:20 - Apr 28 with 1509 viewsgerry_us

7/4 the match is abandoned in the second half and U's ultimately handed the three points and +10 goals...
Back to the beach.
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 09:48 - Apr 29 with 1477 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 23:20 - Apr 28 by gerry_us

7/4 the match is abandoned in the second half and U's ultimately handed the three points and +10 goals...
Back to the beach.

Gerry pity we can't be handed six points.

Enjoy the beach.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise (n/t) on 13:29 - Apr 29 with 1455 viewsColukev

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 23:20 - Apr 28 by gerry_us

Back to the beach.

[Post edited 29 Apr 2017 16:50]
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 16:46 - Apr 29 with 1434 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 09:48 - Apr 29 by durham_exile

Gerry pity we can't be handed six points.

Enjoy the beach.

Up the U's

Come on Newport, an equaliser needed.

Orient supporters protest, players taken off

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 16:49 - Apr 29 with 1432 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 16:46 - Apr 29 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

Whatever happens next season I truly hope that Doncaster are relegated.

Since drawing at the WHCS, they have lost three successive games, obviously in flip flop mode but it is totally unprofessional.

Ferguson is a total shite.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:21 - Apr 29 with 1406 viewsColukev

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 16:46 - Apr 29 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 17:38 - Apr 29 with 1389 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 16:49 - Apr 29 by durham_exile

Whatever happens next season I truly hope that Doncaster are relegated.

Since drawing at the WHCS, they have lost three successive games, obviously in flip flop mode but it is totally unprofessional.

Ferguson is a total shite.

Up the U's

Orient supporters still on the pitch.

5 minutes plusinjury still to play.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 17:40 - Apr 29 with 1377 viewsColukev

Surely has to be abandoned/forfeited before long?
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 17:53 - Apr 29 with 1363 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 17:38 - Apr 29 by durham_exile

Orient supporters still on the pitch.

5 minutes plusinjury still to play.

Come on the U's

Match abandoned

A big win next week and a Carlisle defeat at Exeter and we are there

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 18:19 - Apr 29 with 1326 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 17:53 - Apr 29 by durham_exile

Match abandoned

A big win next week and a Carlisle defeat at Exeter and we are there

Up the U's

More bad news Cameron James and Brennan Dickenson both injured in training.

Dickenson could miss next weeks match

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 18:28 - Apr 29 with 1310 viewsColukev

So if this gets marked as 3-1, and we miss out on playoffs by one goal difference to Cambridge, is there a case for us to pursue? Surely it has to go down as a 3-0?
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 18:42 - Apr 29 with 1296 viewsburnsieespana

Sums up our season!
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 19:21 - Apr 29 with 1251 viewsFruitbat

Last six mins (plus three mins injury time) now played behind closed doors. Orient players kept the ball for the duration and passed it around amongst themselves, Col U players watched them do it.

Surreal end.
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 19:34 - Apr 29 with 1238 viewsburnsieespana

I fear we are going to regret some of the silly points dropped this season
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 19:57 - Apr 29 with 1222 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 19:34 - Apr 29 by burnsieespana

I fear we are going to regret some of the silly points dropped this season

Worse news still Brennan Dickenson has injured his cruciate ligament out for 9 months.

Absolutely shocking news for the player and the club.

Unbelievable.

We are still in there fighting, a huge game next week at the WHCS.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 20:40 - Apr 29 with 1193 viewsburnsieespana

Sad news indeed but at least he won't now be sold.
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 21:35 - Apr 29 with 1144 viewswessex_exile

The frustrating thing is that with the introduction of Macca Bonne we were tearing them apart, and I have no doubt we had at least another goal in us before full time. Still, I'm not going to rail against the Orient supporters, they felt they needed to do something to protest about what's going on at their club, and by and large it was good-natured, peaceful, and with plenty of moral support from the U's faithful. A cynic might observe why choose when they'd just gone 3-1 down and for them the game was over, rather than at any point when it was 0-0, or even 1-1, but heyho. It will be interesting to see what sanction is imposed (would the owner pay a fine anyway?), and whether they have to carry that sanction into next season if it's a points deduction. At the end of the day, our play-off hopes are remarkably still alive, and let's just say Orient now owe us big time in their final game at Blackpool.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 22:18 - Apr 29 with 1118 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 21:35 - Apr 29 by wessex_exile

The frustrating thing is that with the introduction of Macca Bonne we were tearing them apart, and I have no doubt we had at least another goal in us before full time. Still, I'm not going to rail against the Orient supporters, they felt they needed to do something to protest about what's going on at their club, and by and large it was good-natured, peaceful, and with plenty of moral support from the U's faithful. A cynic might observe why choose when they'd just gone 3-1 down and for them the game was over, rather than at any point when it was 0-0, or even 1-1, but heyho. It will be interesting to see what sanction is imposed (would the owner pay a fine anyway?), and whether they have to carry that sanction into next season if it's a points deduction. At the end of the day, our play-off hopes are remarkably still alive, and let's just say Orient now owe us big time in their final game at Blackpool.

Wessex - I have just listened to Glenn Speller BBC Radio Essex speaking to BBC Five Live about the bizarre finish to the game.

After the abandonment announcement at 5.48pm, a "deal" was thrashed out between the two Managers and the Officials to play the last 8 minutes (including 3 extra time minutes) at 6.40pm.

As Fruitbat stated it was played in the Orient half and there were no competitive tackles or opportunities. The Orient players simply passed the ball to each other while the Colchester players looked on.

Clearly if we are unlucky enough to miss out on the play offs on Goal difference then there could be a challenge but what could be achieved.

Table:

Plymouth +25 86 - Grimsby A
Doncaster +31 85 - Hartlepool A
Pompey +34 84 - Cheltenham H

Luton +25 74 - Morecambe H
Exeter +25 71 - Carlisle H
Carlisle 0 68 - Exeter A
Blackpool +21 67 - Orient H

Stevenage +7 67 - Accrington H
Cambridge +9 66 - Wycombe A
COL U +8 66 - Yeovil H
Wycombe +4 66 - Cambridge H

Possible permutations:

Carlisle to lose
Blackpool to draw
Stevenage to win or draw
COL U to win
Cambridge v Wycombe to draw

Simples!!!!!!!!

One thing is certain its going to be a special occasion at the WHCS against Yeovil.

And as I stated earlier Doncaster to finish third and to be relegated next season after their disgraceful performances since gaining promotion.

Plenty to think about this week.

Up the U's

Brennan Dickenson desperately unlucky to be injured so seriously in training. Hopefully Cameron James will be back next week and for the Play Offs.

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 22:24 - Apr 29 with 1115 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 22:18 - Apr 29 by durham_exile

Wessex - I have just listened to Glenn Speller BBC Radio Essex speaking to BBC Five Live about the bizarre finish to the game.

After the abandonment announcement at 5.48pm, a "deal" was thrashed out between the two Managers and the Officials to play the last 8 minutes (including 3 extra time minutes) at 6.40pm.

As Fruitbat stated it was played in the Orient half and there were no competitive tackles or opportunities. The Orient players simply passed the ball to each other while the Colchester players looked on.

Clearly if we are unlucky enough to miss out on the play offs on Goal difference then there could be a challenge but what could be achieved.

Table:

Plymouth +25 86 - Grimsby A
Doncaster +31 85 - Hartlepool A
Pompey +34 84 - Cheltenham H

Luton +25 74 - Morecambe H
Exeter +25 71 - Carlisle H
Carlisle 0 68 - Exeter A
Blackpool +21 67 - Orient H

Stevenage +7 67 - Accrington H
Cambridge +9 66 - Wycombe A
COL U +8 66 - Yeovil H
Wycombe +4 66 - Cambridge H

Possible permutations:

Carlisle to lose
Blackpool to draw
Stevenage to win or draw
COL U to win
Cambridge v Wycombe to draw

Simples!!!!!!!!

One thing is certain its going to be a special occasion at the WHCS against Yeovil.

And as I stated earlier Doncaster to finish third and to be relegated next season after their disgraceful performances since gaining promotion.

Plenty to think about this week.

Up the U's

Brennan Dickenson desperately unlucky to be injured so seriously in training. Hopefully Cameron James will be back next week and for the Play Offs.

AN AWAY WIN

Brilliant. If only we had won two or three more.

Still Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 22:45 - Apr 29 with 1106 viewswessex_exile

...or to put it another way - if only one of the four above us win, and we win, we're in the play-offs. Even two of them can win, so long as one of them is Cambridge, and we win by a +1 better goal difference, as we've scored significantly more goals than Cambridge.

Game on chaps!

Up the U's

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 22:51 - Apr 29 with 1100 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 22:45 - Apr 29 by wessex_exile

...or to put it another way - if only one of the four above us win, and we win, we're in the play-offs. Even two of them can win, so long as one of them is Cambridge, and we win by a +1 better goal difference, as we've scored significantly more goals than Cambridge.

Game on chaps!

Should be a special game next week and we will probably play Luton in the Semi-Finaland Exeter in the final!!!!!

Bring it on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 23:15 - Apr 29 with 1087 viewsgerry_us

How bizarre indeed. Sneaked a look at the score around 11.30 local time...1-1 after 70odd minutes and convinced it was all over for another season. Then a total news blackout as if the game hadn't even been scheduled. Then announced abandoned. Four hours later and we have won 3-1.
Interesting comments on Bonne from Wessex. Would be interesting to know how many minutes he has played for us this season. He always looks to have goals in him and goodness knows a few more this season would have made a difference.
Still, I suppose around December we would have settled for this. Saturday is the day!
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 00:01 - Apr 30 with 1074 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 23:15 - Apr 29 by gerry_us

How bizarre indeed. Sneaked a look at the score around 11.30 local time...1-1 after 70odd minutes and convinced it was all over for another season. Then a total news blackout as if the game hadn't even been scheduled. Then announced abandoned. Four hours later and we have won 3-1.
Interesting comments on Bonne from Wessex. Would be interesting to know how many minutes he has played for us this season. He always looks to have goals in him and goodness knows a few more this season would have made a difference.
Still, I suppose around December we would have settled for this. Saturday is the day!

By my nature, I'm not inherently a nay-sayer, but even I cannot understand why we don't see more of Macca Bonne? Even if he's not a 90 minute squad player, he's a brilliant impact sub, provided there's enough time for him to make an impact. His goal was superb, watch the video to see him take a look then put a firm shoulder into the defender - put him off balance and the rest was history. Given the sad news about Dickenson (though I take the point it probably means we will hold on to him into next season), surely Bonne has to be in the frame for Yeovil?

Up the U's

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 00:56 - Apr 30 with 1052 viewsoxfcolu

Good away performance at long last. On my way home wondering what was going to happen when the announcement was made. All to play for next week no point doing what ifs. On the bright side it least nobody will buy Dickenson now in the close season.I hope he comes back stonger.
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 10:54 - Apr 30 with 941 viewsburnsieespana

I can see Orient doing something crazy and winning at Blackpool.
JM and the boys have done very well to get to this stage of the season still in with a chance considering where we were when playing Cheltenham.
Such a pity we dropped so many silly points earlier in the season at home.
Anyway we must have faith so up the U's we all believe it is possible!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024