Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise 21:44 - Apr 28 with 2145 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his charges to the penultimate game of the season against Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road on Saturday, knowing that three-point s and a further three against Yeovil in the final game may not be enough to secure a play-off spot.

First though some reflection from last week’s trip to the WHCS for a thoroughly entertaining game against the Pilgrims.

I travelled the 265 miles from Durham arriving in good time to peruse the souvenirs in the club shop. The journey was very good and the weather was dry with some sunshine. Inside the WHCS the pitch was probably the very best that I have seen since the stadium opened in 2008. It was immaculate and part of the reason for our excellent home form this season. In fact, Joe Davis could have played billiards on it such was the quality of the baize.

A healthy attendance of 5,432 with 1,025 travelling from Devon made for a decent atmosphere. Plymouth had certainly come to try and win the game, whilst Colchester knew that they really had to secure maximum points to give a real chance of the play offs.

Colchester lined up:

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Brindley Lapslie Murray Fosu

Wright Porter Dickenson

Subs:

Brill Briggs Wynter Bonne O’Sullivan Loft Pyke

This really was the game where, with some more good fortune, Chris Porter could have scored four goals. Sadly, he missed them all, the worst, a horrible missed header when well-placed from a delightful cross from Brennan Dickenson on 37 minutes.

Big George Elokobi (who deservedly won MOTM) was unfairly cautioned by the referee for a fierce challenge in the first half on Taylor.

Plymouth had their moments with a cross shot from Sarcevic narrowly missing Walker’s far post. But this was a game where Colchester were dominant without converting the one chance that their play deserved.

The second half brought more opportunities without the U’s able to capitalise, whilst Plymouth demonstrated their Away credentials (13 victories on the road) with some stout and robust defending.

JM brought young Pyke into the action on 75 minutes for the tiring Fosu who had played very well and showed many creative touches. The excellent Lapslie who ran tirelessly was substituted after 80 minutes with Doug Loft gaining some more playing minutes.

However, it was Macca Bonne who once again was on the bench but missed out on any game time.

Towards the final whistle, Chris Porter had two more opportunities to break the deadlock when on 83 minutes he turned smartly, but his ground shot grazed the upright of McCormick’s goal whilst a free kick from Richard Brindley was headed over the goal.

Unfortunately, the drawn game means that it is still two seasons since I last witnessed a U’s victory. Incredible but true!

Tomorrow brings another challenge. A team already relegated to the Fifth Tier of English football with an unpopular owner in Francesco Becchetti who can often be seen in his Mayfair Mansion worth a reputed £25M. Whilst Manager Omer Riza must preside a team short on confidence and without Gavin Massey again.

Leyton Orient have made the game all ticket. Protests from the fans are predicted. Colchester must ensure that they do a professional job on Orient and must not be distracted by marches, sit ins, protests, banners etc. The faithful will be there in number with over 1200 tickets sold so far. The atmosphere will be superb and the U’s know that three points is the target.

It will be akin to the match at Belle Vue Doncaster when a Rovers team already relegated hosted the U’s. There were “funeral marches”, a coffin, a sit in protest by about 200 supporters and at least 7 incursions onto the playing surface during the game. Colchester won 1-0 that day which secured a ply off spot. As stated earlier two wins are vital and may not be enough but we must try.

Ultimately 4 away wins have been insufficient and I fear that we will fall short but JM must motivate his players to win them both.

I suspect that an unchanged starting line up to last Saturday will be the order of the day:

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Brindley Lapslie Murray Fosu

Wright Porter Dickenson

Subs:

Brill Briggs Wynter Bonne O’Sullivan Loft Pyke

The table is still too close to predict:

Doncaster 44 85 - Exeter H, Hartlepool A
Plymouth 44 83 — Crewe H, Grimsby A
Pompey 44 81 — Mansfield A, Cheltenham H

Luton 44 71 — Accrington A, Morecambe H
Exeter 44 68 — Doncaster A, Carlisle H
Blackpool 44 67 — Notts Co A, Orient H
Stevenage 44 66 — Yeovil A, Accrington H

Mansfield 44 65 — Pompey H, Crawley A
Wycombe 44 65 — Morecambe A, Cambridge H
Carlisle 44 65 — Newport H, Exeter A
Cambridge 44 63 — Crawley H, Wycombe A
COL U 44 63 - Orient A, Yeovil H
Accrington 44 62 — Luton H, Stevenage A

I’m sure that U’s fans have all considered the permutations but in the final analysis, we cannot influence the table. We must simply win and finish on 69 points and hope that this will be good enough to secure seventh place.

It will go to the wire.

Tomorrow the U’s faithful will roar them to success at an emotional Brisbane Road.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful, enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 13:36 - Apr 30 with 623 viewsMadeira163

That was a long long wait , had fosu to score first in a 3-1 win . Bet 365 initially marked the bet as a loss , but after getting on the phone the paid out @ 50/1
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 15:34 - Apr 30 with 607 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 13:36 - Apr 30 by Madeira163

That was a long long wait , had fosu to score first in a 3-1 win . Bet 365 initially marked the bet as a loss , but after getting on the phone the paid out @ 50/1

Nice one!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 16:43 - Apr 30 with 594 viewsnoah4x4

I was sat in Durban, South African; with no U's Player, only BBC live text stuck on '84 minutes' for over an hour. Complete news black-out. After blaming hotel WiFi eventually got glum news by text from U's supporters on CUSA bus; , "match abandoned".

Woke up this morning from a bad dream.......we won...and I had unexpectedly stole the Division One Happy League Title given that my plight in December mirrored the U's....

.......I think U's can do this...to make this an unlikely double....
Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 22:34 - Apr 30 with 569 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to find the Orient full of Eastern promise on 16:43 - Apr 30 by noah4x4

I was sat in Durban, South African; with no U's Player, only BBC live text stuck on '84 minutes' for over an hour. Complete news black-out. After blaming hotel WiFi eventually got glum news by text from U's supporters on CUSA bus; , "match abandoned".

Woke up this morning from a bad dream.......we won...and I had unexpectedly stole the Division One Happy League Title given that my plight in December mirrored the U's....

.......I think U's can do this...to make this an unlikely double....

Congratulations Noah, hope you're having a great time down there!

Apparently, the media people were in on the plan, and under strict instructions to maintain the "match abandoned" line until the ground was cleared. Slightly miffed because I think we could have got another, but then again we could have conceded another, or picked up another injury, or even a red card - so on balance the Orient doing a low tempo passing drill, and our guys practising standing very still to ensure a 3-1 victory and keep the play-off dream alive works for me!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024