Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bonne gone to the Orient 17:16 - Jul 14 with 2805 viewsLeadbelly

Two year deal.

We now look even thinner in the forward department.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Bonne gone to the Orient on 19:05 - Jul 14 with 2140 viewsLeadbelly

Elokobi also signs for Orient.

Bonne gone to the Orient on 21:36 - Jul 14 with 2056 viewsgerry_us

Bonne gone to the Orient on 19:05 - Jul 14 by Leadbelly

Elokobi also signs for Orient.

And there was I thinking that Orient had been relegated and were virtually bankrupt.
I personally rated both of them and we will be a poorer team without them at the club. Wouldn't be surprised if they on a higher wage at O's which is of a concern for attracting the players that we still need. We missed Rooney!
Bonne gone to the Orient on 23:03 - Jul 14 with 2015 viewsdurham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 21:36 - Jul 14 by gerry_us

And there was I thinking that Orient had been relegated and were virtually bankrupt.
I personally rated both of them and we will be a poorer team without them at the club. Wouldn't be surprised if they on a higher wage at O's which is of a concern for attracting the players that we still need. We missed Rooney!

Unbelievable big George and Macca Bonne to Orient.

Bonne in his first 90 minutes for the O's will have played more than the entire season for Col u.

Frankly I am amazed that they will play non league and Brindley will play for Barnet. Are our wages really THAT bad.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 09:24 - Jul 15 with 1964 viewsLeadbelly

McGreal said some time ago that Col U is a club for which players want to sign. It seems more like a club they won't sign for at the moment.

We have lost a number of first team squad players, including two senior players in Porter and Elokobi, and signed just one first team player in response.

At this point I don't really care that we have made our annual U23 signing from Maldon and Tiptree who we will never see in the first team. We should have acted quickly to build on the momentum generated in the second half of last season. Instead I feel I'm being offered another helping of "jam tomorrow".

Looking at where former players have signed gives a significant indication of the quality of the offers that were made to stay at Col U. Self inflicted wounds in my opinion. They have given themselves an an awful lot of work to do before the season starts in three weeks. Very unimpressed by the club at the moment and questioning why I renewed my season ticket.

Bonne gone to the Orient on 17:43 - Jul 15 with 1899 viewsLeadbelly

Bonne scores two goals on his debut for Orient. Good luck to him.

Bonne gone to the Orient on 17:47 - Jul 15 with 1897 viewsFruitbat

Bonne gone to the Orient on 17:43 - Jul 15 by Leadbelly

Bonne scores two goals on his debut for Orient. Good luck to him.

In a side that also included David Mooney
Bonne gone to the Orient on 20:27 - Jul 15 with 1871 viewsdurham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 17:47 - Jul 15 by Fruitbat

In a side that also included David Mooney

The more I think about this the more annoyed I am.

Players often don't work out at a club and move on, totally accepted but has Macca Bonne been wasted at Col U.

He has made 84 appearances but only 25 starts and 59 substitute appearances. He has scored 15 goals including 4 in one game the last Col U player to do so since Roy of the United.

Last season he was averaging about 3 minutes a game when he did make it onto the field.

We are in a desperate goalscoring position this season, Guthrie is not yet fit and the pressure will be on from the start.

Bonne should have been given more opportunities and only then could the club have said he was not good enough because however you dress it up that is the situation.

Big George and Richard Brindley are both worth more than Orient and Barnet respectively, that is a simple fact.

Are we going to sign Blackstock, hopefully because otherwise we will be very thin on the ground for strikers.

5 August is fast approaching, I do hope that a certain Accrington striker doesn't score against us.

Up the forward deficient U's

Durham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 21:26 - Jul 15 with 1856 viewsmfb_cufc

Very well put, Durham. I can only think there was an attitude problem with Bonne. Probably to do with him complaining about not being given more game time. He averaged a goal a game at youth and Under-21 level, and proved he is a natural goalscorer. He was never given a proper chance to prove he could do it in the League, because when he started it was usually on the wing. I think we will live to regret his parting.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

Bonne gone to the Orient on 22:40 - Jul 15 with 1838 viewsnoah4x4

Why automatically assume that our wages are lower than Orient?

I suspect most U'Sual boarders have never faced the insecurity of an extreme short term (one year) employment contract with the prospect of certain redundancy at its expiry. You have to negotiate what you can and duration is often far more important than mere cash in hand.

Frankly, I wouldn't offer Brindley, Bonne or Elokobi a TWO year contract. Quite evidently no other football league club has done so either for Bonne or Elokobi. That begs the question, why not? Surely Lincoln were interested in Bonne, or did he not impress when recently there? Bonne has an agent that evidently hasn't found him ANY football league option to match Orient, so why suggest we are cheapskates?

Then, if in their shoes; with perhaps family, mortgage and other responsibilities; I would sign a TWO year contract at 80% of Colchester Utd wages, even if that meant dropping to the National League. The extra FULL year of financial security being far more important than a few extra bucks in my pocket next month.

I would also want to be playing every week, simply to be in the 'shop window'. If I couldn't get regular Division Two football I would drop to the National League with a full time contract; plenty of TV exposure on BT TV. Sitting warming the bench, rarely seen, aids nobody. I don't expect Bonne to become part-time (yet), but like goalkeeper James Bransgrove, he must now be thinking "what if I don't make it"? Bransgrove chose to become an accountant; but I doubt if Bonne has many options except pursue football?

Frankly, I think Orient is a good move for both. A genuine prospect of a prompt return to Division Two and a reignited career when it is evident no Football League club wants either of them on the terms that they were demanding (else they would still be in the Football league). Orient also had far larger gates; maybe they are gambling they will be sustained? When we were relegated from the Championship, Robbie Cowling chucked loads of money in the direction of Lambert & Boothroyd, but it's not sustainable without success.

We fans also never see what happens in training and so often we chirp on about managerial failings when players apparently get a raw deal when viewed from the South Stand. But Jamie Guy, Medi Elito and many others spring to my mind. Elito has perhaps now knuckled down, but Jamie Guy, what a wasted talent....... and wasn't he better than Bonne? I thought so.

Similar to Elito, Bonne might be an "international" at some lower level, but he probably needs to prove he can put in a full shift 24/7 and fight for his career; and it now seems odds on we will sign a new striker or two as others (like Bonne) will fall down from higher divisions. I see these departures as positive news, but say thanks to both and wish them well.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 22:55]
Bonne gone to the Orient on 23:27 - Jul 15 with 1806 viewsoxfcolu

I agree with Noah totally.
Time will tell who we will sign, no need to panic yet.
Bonne gone to the Orient on 06:10 - Jul 16 with 1792 viewsLeadbelly

Bonne gone to the Orient on 22:40 - Jul 15 by noah4x4

Why automatically assume that our wages are lower than Orient?

I suspect most U'Sual boarders have never faced the insecurity of an extreme short term (one year) employment contract with the prospect of certain redundancy at its expiry. You have to negotiate what you can and duration is often far more important than mere cash in hand.

Frankly, I wouldn't offer Brindley, Bonne or Elokobi a TWO year contract. Quite evidently no other football league club has done so either for Bonne or Elokobi. That begs the question, why not? Surely Lincoln were interested in Bonne, or did he not impress when recently there? Bonne has an agent that evidently hasn't found him ANY football league option to match Orient, so why suggest we are cheapskates?

Then, if in their shoes; with perhaps family, mortgage and other responsibilities; I would sign a TWO year contract at 80% of Colchester Utd wages, even if that meant dropping to the National League. The extra FULL year of financial security being far more important than a few extra bucks in my pocket next month.

I would also want to be playing every week, simply to be in the 'shop window'. If I couldn't get regular Division Two football I would drop to the National League with a full time contract; plenty of TV exposure on BT TV. Sitting warming the bench, rarely seen, aids nobody. I don't expect Bonne to become part-time (yet), but like goalkeeper James Bransgrove, he must now be thinking "what if I don't make it"? Bransgrove chose to become an accountant; but I doubt if Bonne has many options except pursue football?

Frankly, I think Orient is a good move for both. A genuine prospect of a prompt return to Division Two and a reignited career when it is evident no Football League club wants either of them on the terms that they were demanding (else they would still be in the Football league). Orient also had far larger gates; maybe they are gambling they will be sustained? When we were relegated from the Championship, Robbie Cowling chucked loads of money in the direction of Lambert & Boothroyd, but it's not sustainable without success.

We fans also never see what happens in training and so often we chirp on about managerial failings when players apparently get a raw deal when viewed from the South Stand. But Jamie Guy, Medi Elito and many others spring to my mind. Elito has perhaps now knuckled down, but Jamie Guy, what a wasted talent....... and wasn't he better than Bonne? I thought so.

Similar to Elito, Bonne might be an "international" at some lower level, but he probably needs to prove he can put in a full shift 24/7 and fight for his career; and it now seems odds on we will sign a new striker or two as others (like Bonne) will fall down from higher divisions. I see these departures as positive news, but say thanks to both and wish them well.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 22:55]

Will all those players we are trying to sign be better than what we've lost AND happy to sign one year contracts? If so then the club is playing a blinder.

Bonne gone to the Orient on 17:04 - Jul 16 with 1754 viewsdurham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 06:10 - Jul 16 by Leadbelly

Will all those players we are trying to sign be better than what we've lost AND happy to sign one year contracts? If so then the club is playing a blinder.

At least the board allows all sides to be heard.

I remain of the opinion that the club has made a mistake in letting Macca Bonne go.

We remain light in attack and with Guthrie still injured a decent striker is desperately needed.

In a years time when Bonne has scored 25 goals for Orient and he is snapped up by a league one club I hope we remember the foolishness of letting him go.

Up the striker deficient U's

Durham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 18:00 - Jul 16 with 1738 viewsgerry_us

Bonne gone to the Orient on 17:04 - Jul 16 by durham_exile

At least the board allows all sides to be heard.

I remain of the opinion that the club has made a mistake in letting Macca Bonne go.

We remain light in attack and with Guthrie still injured a decent striker is desperately needed.

In a years time when Bonne has scored 25 goals for Orient and he is snapped up by a league one club I hope we remember the foolishness of letting him go.

Up the striker deficient U's

...and as the Vice President of the Macca Bonne fan club I totally concur with Durhams comments. Every goal Macca scores next season (and there will be many) will further emphasise what a crap decision that was.
Bonne gone to the Orient on 19:35 - Jul 16 with 1724 viewsbwildered

Bonne should have nail a first team spot by now . Went on loan twice last season into the Conferance without any significant improvement . Just has not stepped up from U23 .
Let's be honest has come off the bench several times without success .
Time to move on for all concerned.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Bonne gone to the Orient on 22:40 - Jul 16 with 1693 viewsgerry_us

Bonne gone to the Orient on 19:35 - Jul 16 by bwildered

Bonne should have nail a first team spot by now . Went on loan twice last season into the Conferance without any significant improvement . Just has not stepped up from U23 .
Let's be honest has come off the bench several times without success .
Time to move on for all concerned.

Coming off the bench on 88 minutes is not ideal for making a name for oneself. Given a game from the start and you would have seen success. Now we will never know for the U's but watch his progress now.
Bonne gone to the Orient on 23:39 - Jul 16 with 1682 viewswessex_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 22:40 - Jul 16 by gerry_us

Coming off the bench on 88 minutes is not ideal for making a name for oneself. Given a game from the start and you would have seen success. Now we will never know for the U's but watch his progress now.

Okay - deep breath.

Yes, I'm disappointed that a player with Macca's apparent potential has been let go, and I would definitely have preferred he had another season at the U's to convince those that look at these things he was worth a serious investment. However, apart from 4 goals against a very poor non-league side, my very limited view of him has been nothing more than as a last-minute (or so) impact sub (e.g. Cambridge). Lots of effort, lots of hunger, but all very 'headless chicken' in application, in my opinion.

So, he's dropped down to non-league, to join Mooney and Elokobi at Orient. No surprise there, none of them have to relocate homes, and possibly (irrespective of our collective thoughts about how Orient are financed and run) they're either on the same money, or slightly less but with a two year contract? Heaven forbid they're on more, because that really would be worrying for both them and Leyton Orient.

Of course Macca will score goals, he'll have game-time so he has to (or should), but we shouldn't beat ourselves up about it - we've let loads of players go who have gone on to do stuff elsewhere, but how many at a higher level?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Bonne gone to the Orient on 14:06 - Jul 17 with 1626 viewsdurham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 23:39 - Jul 16 by wessex_exile

Okay - deep breath.

Yes, I'm disappointed that a player with Macca's apparent potential has been let go, and I would definitely have preferred he had another season at the U's to convince those that look at these things he was worth a serious investment. However, apart from 4 goals against a very poor non-league side, my very limited view of him has been nothing more than as a last-minute (or so) impact sub (e.g. Cambridge). Lots of effort, lots of hunger, but all very 'headless chicken' in application, in my opinion.

So, he's dropped down to non-league, to join Mooney and Elokobi at Orient. No surprise there, none of them have to relocate homes, and possibly (irrespective of our collective thoughts about how Orient are financed and run) they're either on the same money, or slightly less but with a two year contract? Heaven forbid they're on more, because that really would be worrying for both them and Leyton Orient.

Of course Macca will score goals, he'll have game-time so he has to (or should), but we shouldn't beat ourselves up about it - we've let loads of players go who have gone on to do stuff elsewhere, but how many at a higher level?

Sears, Moncur and Gilbey have all moved on to higher division clubs in recent seasons.

The point about Macca Bonne is that he does have potential and we have definitely not got anywhere near the best out of him.

Good luck to the lad at Orient.

Let us hope that Blackstock can be tempted to resurrect his career at the WHCS, so that we can strengthen our depleted forward options.

Up the challenged U's

Durham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 08:35 - Jul 18 with 1566 viewsBlueStripes

Not particularly bothered about Bonne as such, I don't think he was good enough and has probably now found his true level at National League. What I'm more concerned about is how threadbare we now are in the striker department. I know Porter had his critics but we're going to miss his hold-up play a lot this season unless we can pull our fingers out and sign someone similar in the next couple of weeks. Guthrie will probably miss the start of the season and we won't see Dickenson this side of Christmas, at the earliest. By the way, who is this Kpekwa guy, is he a striker or yet another midfielder?
Bonne gone to the Orient on 09:04 - Jul 18 with 1562 viewsdurham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 08:35 - Jul 18 by BlueStripes

Not particularly bothered about Bonne as such, I don't think he was good enough and has probably now found his true level at National League. What I'm more concerned about is how threadbare we now are in the striker department. I know Porter had his critics but we're going to miss his hold-up play a lot this season unless we can pull our fingers out and sign someone similar in the next couple of weeks. Guthrie will probably miss the start of the season and we won't see Dickenson this side of Christmas, at the earliest. By the way, who is this Kpekwa guy, is he a striker or yet another midfielder?

Blue stripes - he is a defender left back, previously on loan at Colchester now signed on a permanent basis.

Should be a good addition, suggestion that he might play wing back also.

Know any good strikers because we desperately need one.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 13:47 - Jul 18 with 1536 viewsnoah4x4

The English transfer window doesn't close until 31st August.

We hence still have loads of time during which we must avoid pandering to the excessive wage expectation of so many agents representing players with inflated egos on our target list.

Let's wait and see who is still out of contract closer to day one of the season (5th August). I think there will be bargains, and if Guthrie and Johnson are fit, there is no need to panic any earlier. Those still without contracts will sign else default on their mortgages.
Bonne gone to the Orient on 18:03 - Jul 18 with 1509 viewsdurham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 09:04 - Jul 18 by durham_exile

Blue stripes - he is a defender left back, previously on loan at Colchester now signed on a permanent basis.

Should be a good addition, suggestion that he might play wing back also.

Know any good strikers because we desperately need one.

Up the U's

It is revealed today that Macca Bonne asked to leave the club.

The quote attributed to the manager failed to identify exactly how many starts he had whilst with the U's

This whole grubby business stinks.

If they truly believe that he will not make the grade then let's have some honesty. This a very unsavoury business.

We remain well short of strikers.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bonne gone to the Orient on 20:55 - Jul 18 with 1487 viewsmfb_cufc

I have a feeling that Sammy Szmodics could be used as a striker this season, as it will be hard to fit him into our overmanned midfield.

mfb

Bonne gone to the Orient on 22:08 - Jul 18 with 1479 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Bonne gone to the Orient on 20:55 - Jul 18 by mfb_cufc

I have a feeling that Sammy Szmodics could be used as a striker this season, as it will be hard to fit him into our overmanned midfield.

I'm expecting to see Guthrie or Johnstone leading the line with Szmodics lining up just behind. Slater, Lapslie and Murray will be the preferred central midfield three unless Loft can push his way in there. I think he'll start with three at the back and two wing backs but I'm not sure who'll they be. Possibly Eastman, Kent and James if Prosser isn't fit and Jackson and maybe Kpekawa on the flanks. I'm actually pretty excited about our starting XI when everyone is fit and hopefully the competition for places will keep the players on their toes.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Bonne gone to the Orient on 22:10 - Jul 18 with 1477 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I'm also of the opinion that Bonne wasn't good enough and would be surprised if he scores more then a few goals for Orient this season. Plus if he wanted to leave what's the club meant to do?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Bonne gone to the Orient on 22:50 - Jul 18 with 1464 viewsLeadbelly

Bonne gone to the Orient on 22:08 - Jul 18 by RSCOSWORTH

I'm expecting to see Guthrie or Johnstone leading the line with Szmodics lining up just behind. Slater, Lapslie and Murray will be the preferred central midfield three unless Loft can push his way in there. I think he'll start with three at the back and two wing backs but I'm not sure who'll they be. Possibly Eastman, Kent and James if Prosser isn't fit and Jackson and maybe Kpekawa on the flanks. I'm actually pretty excited about our starting XI when everyone is fit and hopefully the competition for places will keep the players on their toes.

"When everyone is fit"

Miracles do happen but, until then, Jackson has fitted right in by picking up a quad injury, Guthrie and Prosser still not available and Dickenson now out until late February. We really are due a change of fortune with injuries. Sooner the better.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024