Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WHU Xl 08:54 - Jul 19 with 916 viewsbwildered

Surprisingly a healthy crowd of 2,626 for this preseason friendly. Although advertised has a West Ham Xl, did most expect to see the first team in attendance rather than the U23 squad that was present ?
Price a whooping £15 for U23 friendly !!

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

WHU Xl on 10:01 - Jul 19 with 904 viewsdurham_exile

Bwildered - was it a good game.

Who stood out for the U's

Durham_exile

WHU Xl on 12:26 - Jul 19 with 887 viewsbwildered

Cannot comment Durham , do not attend any friendly fixtures ( even less likely at £15 ).
Might be a worthwhile exercise for players , managers, coaches and officials, but these games should have a maximum price eg £5 .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

WHU Xl on 15:18 - Jul 19 with 871 viewsdurham_exile

WHU Xl on 12:26 - Jul 19 by bwildered

Cannot comment Durham , do not attend any friendly fixtures ( even less likely at £15 ).
Might be a worthwhile exercise for players , managers, coaches and officials, but these games should have a maximum price eg £5 .

bwildered - totally understand.

Agree with you the crowd was very encouraging.

Kpekawa unfit but should be fit for 5 Aug at Accrington.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

WHU Xl on 23:09 - Jul 19 with 829 viewsnoah4x4

The WHU First XI are in Austria so this was always correctly advertised as "WHU XI". Our team was close to our likely league starting line up, whilst the Hammers under 23's were talented and entertaining. I witnessed one of the best games at WHCS in some while, whilst the best side won. We could have scored five with a bit of better fortune (hit bar; missed two sitters etc).

I thought I got fair value for £15; particularly as all shuttle buses (subsidised); all stands, all catering; stewarding and similar were available unlike for other friendlies. Attended by as many as some typical league midweek fixtures.

Denny Johnson was again inspired. Vastly better than his performances when linked with Porter or Guthrie. What was really good though was our midfield control and the attacking prowess of Wright and Vincent-Young; with Lapslie, Slater and Murray as playmakers, and it didn't diminish when wholesale substitutions were made. I envisage Johnson or Guthrie leading the line, but NOT both. If fit, Guthrie will probably start, but I don't see the angst to buy a new striker. Tariq Issa looked decent.

Defensively, WHU threatened but we held firm. No Elokobi panics, generally few errors, just a sure footed machine. Walker in goal was both commanding his area and marshalling his defence. Gilmartin has evidently had good influence!

In summary, we looked a completely different team, albeit largely the same personnel.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 23:11]
WHU Xl on 09:59 - Jul 20 with 793 viewsdurham_exile

WHU Xl on 23:09 - Jul 19 by noah4x4

The WHU First XI are in Austria so this was always correctly advertised as "WHU XI". Our team was close to our likely league starting line up, whilst the Hammers under 23's were talented and entertaining. I witnessed one of the best games at WHCS in some while, whilst the best side won. We could have scored five with a bit of better fortune (hit bar; missed two sitters etc).

I thought I got fair value for £15; particularly as all shuttle buses (subsidised); all stands, all catering; stewarding and similar were available unlike for other friendlies. Attended by as many as some typical league midweek fixtures.

Denny Johnson was again inspired. Vastly better than his performances when linked with Porter or Guthrie. What was really good though was our midfield control and the attacking prowess of Wright and Vincent-Young; with Lapslie, Slater and Murray as playmakers, and it didn't diminish when wholesale substitutions were made. I envisage Johnson or Guthrie leading the line, but NOT both. If fit, Guthrie will probably start, but I don't see the angst to buy a new striker. Tariq Issa looked decent.

Defensively, WHU threatened but we held firm. No Elokobi panics, generally few errors, just a sure footed machine. Walker in goal was both commanding his area and marshalling his defence. Gilmartin has evidently had good influence!

In summary, we looked a completely different team, albeit largely the same personnel.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 23:11]

Noah thanks for the review.

At Hartlepool last season, Denny Johnstone came on as a second half sub and looked very capable so much so that I believed he could score 20 goals for the U's last season.

He never lived up to that billing so it is encouraging to see him scoring pre season.

Guthrie is still not fit but I do not agree that Drew Wright could be our centre forward this season (quote from JM). We still need another striker to ensure that our good approach play is suitably rewarded.

Blackstock was linked and would be well worth a shout.

In the meantime August 5th grows nearer.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

WHU Xl on 10:58 - Jul 20 with 785 viewsnoah4x4

WHU Xl on 09:59 - Jul 20 by durham_exile

Noah thanks for the review.

At Hartlepool last season, Denny Johnstone came on as a second half sub and looked very capable so much so that I believed he could score 20 goals for the U's last season.

He never lived up to that billing so it is encouraging to see him scoring pre season.

Guthrie is still not fit but I do not agree that Drew Wright could be our centre forward this season (quote from JM). We still need another striker to ensure that our good approach play is suitably rewarded.

Blackstock was linked and would be well worth a shout.

In the meantime August 5th grows nearer.

Up the U's

Durham, I never said Drey Wright for centre forward and if JMcGreal said it then perhaps it is a possibility. Might suggest we may play an exciting 3 4 3 or 4 3 3.

He played wide (as did KVY) and tormented the WHU full backs. Brilliant through ball from Lapslie for Wright to run onto. Wright had loads still to do to beat goalkeeper, but his neat footwork did. Tariq Issa is probably currently third choice CF. Looks promising. Have seen him a few times with U21's.

Robbie Cowling made it very clear at the Open Day that Dexter Blackstock is mere press speculation and NO conversation has taken place.

Robbie also made another interesting point. Under Financial Fair Play youngsters don't count towards our permitted (limited by per cent of revenue) wage bill. But a number have since graduated, are no longer under 21 and hence they limit our ability to buy other players. They MUST deliver or leave.

Bonne wasn't mentioned, but it seems like a good deal if we got FFP compensation (£40k for each year in academy?) and he is off the wage bill, hence freeing up resource to pay others that want to remain or join. I envisage others being released before the transfer window closes on 31st August as we still have a huge squad. But no urgency.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 11:03]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024