Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer deadline - a reminder 08:21 - Aug 30 with 3195 viewsLeadbelly

It's 23.00 Thursday 31 August...just in case anyone at Colchester United had forgotten.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Transfer deadline - a reminder on 08:30 - Sep 5 with 627 viewsLeadbelly

Transfer deadline - a reminder on 07:44 - Sep 5 by bwildered

Should have re-signed Gilby (Manager change at Wigan after last seasons relegation, is this the reason he is loaned out ? ).

Whilst Gilbey would be a significant upgrade on our current midfield it won't happen any time soon as he signed a permanent deal at the franchise. Fee undisclosed.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Transfer deadline - a reminder on 11:31 - Sep 5 with 605 viewsburnsieespana

To be fair to the new signings I think we need to see how they play/fit in before being critical of them.
It is not easy times being a Col U supporter at the moment but we have had worse and I am a fim believer (some might say optimist) things will come right.
Transfer deadline - a reminder on 20:14 - Sep 5 with 570 viewsnoah4x4

Because of my cricket duties I didn't travel to Accrington, Luton or Cambridge. My first regular away trip will be Grimsby. I then won't miss any.

As a result, I have only witnessed four decent home performances, Stevenage, Villa unlucky against Villa), Forest Green, Reading U21's. We have only lost twice in 2017 at home.

I hence don't subscribe to all the doom and gloom. But it is a mystery why we are so rubbish away. I would dispense with our horrible away shirts and play in blue and white to see how that assists. Travel the day before? . Practice on the away ground?. There must be sensible steps to improve what otherwise seems inexplicable. Away support is good, so why are the players not responding away, but perform better at home?
Transfer deadline - a reminder on 22:15 - Sep 5 with 554 viewsdurham_exile

Transfer deadline - a reminder on 20:14 - Sep 5 by noah4x4

Because of my cricket duties I didn't travel to Accrington, Luton or Cambridge. My first regular away trip will be Grimsby. I then won't miss any.

As a result, I have only witnessed four decent home performances, Stevenage, Villa unlucky against Villa), Forest Green, Reading U21's. We have only lost twice in 2017 at home.

I hence don't subscribe to all the doom and gloom. But it is a mystery why we are so rubbish away. I would dispense with our horrible away shirts and play in blue and white to see how that assists. Travel the day before? . Practice on the away ground?. There must be sensible steps to improve what otherwise seems inexplicable. Away support is good, so why are the players not responding away, but perform better at home?

Noah - it is only in recent seasons that our home form has improved. Early matches and seasons at the WHCS seemed to inspire the opposition and we produced average results.

As you know I watch far more away from home games due to distances travelled. Roughly 14 per season. Unfortunately it is not the shirts or the travel - Colchester stay overnight on trips to the West Country, North (Carlisle) etc.

The answer is that JM plays ultra defensively away from home and rare forays into the opposition half are easily repulsed. We are not clinical enough with our finishing away from home and too often we start poorly and end up chasing the game. Accrington Stanley last season, Grimsby, Carlisle were all examples where we conceded early and thus made it difficult second half, even against ten men at the Crown Ground!

Away support is very vocal and loyal, but the faithful are getting increasingly frustrated at the negative tactics employed.

Accrington Stanley are playing very well at present (Billy Kee scored a thirty yard spectacular goal at the weekend!), Cambridge has never been a brilliant ground for the U's results wise and Luton (last season excepted) has generally produced little.

Cheltenham will be an interesting fixture and although it is still early in the season a gap is already emerging between the top seven and the rest.

I hope that when they are match fit the new signings can introduce some physical presence in midfield and up front. Of course our four best players are all injured (Slater, Guthrie, Dickenson and Prosser) and Reid looks as though he will out for two to three weeks and Ryan Inniss was injured playing for the U23's before even moving to Colchester and he will be out for a minimum of two weeks.

It has to be said that I know no other lower league club that consistently has had so many injuries. Last season at one time we had 13 players all injured. We have also signed players with dodgy underlying injury problems (sicknote Loft).

We have a home double header and must look to secure six points.

I remain optimistic that we can achieve a top seven finish but many more away day horror shows and that will quickly dissipate.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024