Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! 20:49 - Sep 8 with 1224 viewsdurham_exile

The Super U’s start a home double header on Saturday against their bogey (or one of them!) side Crawley Town.

The Reds are managed by Harry Kewell and after a shaky start they have started to show some form with back to back victories against Swindon and Yeovil, without conceding a goal. More worryingly we have yet to register a win against them in nine attempts.

Now much is being made about our poor away form and excellent home form. This should be forgotten and quickly. No side has a divine right to win at home and we will have to work supremely hard against Crawley to pick up the three points. There can be no complacency, quite the reverse because we have started the season poorly make no mistake. FGR were despatched 5-1 but they are everyone’s whipping boys this season. It is the type of game that we have on Saturday which will define our season.

Kewell rightly is effusive in his praise for a team that has just secured 6 points and in Jordan Roberts they have a striker who not only knows where the net is, but also finishes clinically. They have also signed promising left sided youngster Josh Doherty from Watford.

Now the suggestion is that JM could freshen up the team on Saturday. I do not think that he will make wholesale changes but I would like to see two of the new signings (Comley and Kabamba) make their debuts for the U’s.

Now when we played Crawley at home in February of this year we had 12 players out injured. 7 months on and the list is mounting up again.

The four best players Guthrie, Dickenson, Prosser and Slater have been joined on the treatment table by Kyel Reid and new loanee Ryan Inniss, Courtney Senior, Tariq Issa and Doug (sicknote) Loft.

JM does at least know that he has three dependable players in defence to support Sam Walker, midfield should be strengthened with the inclusion of Brandon Comley, whilst I think that Mikael Mandron should be dropped in favour of Nicke Kabamba. Let us see how radical JM is in his team selection tomorrow:

Will he go 3,4,3 as follows:

Walker

Eastman Kent Kinsella

Vincent-Young Lapslie Murray Comley

Szmodics Kabamba Wright

Subs:
Gilmartin James Jackson Odelusi Mandron Hanlan McKeown

The weather has been wet in the South East of England and although 17 degrees and sunny intervals are forecast for Colchester tomorrow, precipitation is forecast to be 90%.

The faithful would take any victory but Colchester must be out of the traps early doors in order to take the game to a resurgent Crawley side.

Enjoy the game, safe journey and get behind the team.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 13:58 - Sep 9 with 1162 viewsthrillseeker

DE - another good preview.

You have listened and put Lapslie in your starting XI although personally I wouldn't but McGreal does.

I would be tempted to keep Mandron in starting XI and start with Kabamba in place of Wright.

Off to WHCS now.

Can accept a poor performance provided we win
Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 14:48 - Sep 9 with 1155 viewsburnsieespana

Good luck today to J McC and the team. How by we need a win.
Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 16:15 - Sep 9 with 1142 viewswessex_exile

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 13:58 - Sep 9 by thrillseeker

DE - another good preview.

You have listened and put Lapslie in your starting XI although personally I wouldn't but McGreal does.

I would be tempted to keep Mandron in starting XI and start with Kabamba in place of Wright.

Off to WHCS now.

Can accept a poor performance provided we win

McGreal has listened TS, Wright on the bench, Mandron started. He's listened to me too, and dropped three from Saturday and brought in Inniss, Kabamba and Comley - and at 3-0 up it's working, even if Crawley have just missed the opportunity to make it 3-1 from the penalty spot.

Come on the U's!!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 16:25 - Sep 9 with 1137 viewsdurham_exile

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 16:15 - Sep 9 by wessex_exile

McGreal has listened TS, Wright on the bench, Mandron started. He's listened to me too, and dropped three from Saturday and brought in Inniss, Kabamba and Comley - and at 3-0 up it's working, even if Crawley have just missed the opportunity to make it 3-1 from the penalty spot.

Come on the U's!!!

Just back from our local Agricultural show.

A very welcome scoreline.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 16:41 - Sep 9 with 1131 viewsgerry_us

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 16:25 - Sep 9 by durham_exile

Just back from our local Agricultural show.

A very welcome scoreline.

Up the U's

You obviously not aware that your friend Mrs Slocombe was sent off earlier. Threw his pussy out of the pram?
Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 17:07 - Sep 9 with 1128 viewsdurham_exile

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 16:41 - Sep 9 by gerry_us

You obviously not aware that your friend Mrs Slocombe was sent off earlier. Threw his pussy out of the pram?

Gerry - I noticed that.

By the way I have persuaded my youngest son to travel to Cleethorpes for the forthcoming game.
We are of course up for the fish n chips.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 18:07 - Sep 9 with 1116 viewsgerry_us

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 17:07 - Sep 9 by durham_exile

Gerry - I noticed that.

By the way I have persuaded my youngest son to travel to Cleethorpes for the forthcoming game.
We are of course up for the fish n chips.

Up the U's

I'll book the chippy on the pier for three of us for around 6.00. Talk nearer the game.
Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 18:24 - Sep 9 with 1110 viewsdurham_exile

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 18:07 - Sep 9 by gerry_us

I'll book the chippy on the pier for three of us for around 6.00. Talk nearer the game.

Gerry that's great.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 18:32 - Sep 9 with 1106 viewsbwildered

Home sweet home for the U's, with a convincing first half display and three goal lead.
However after the break the U's were left wanting, first conceding a penalty saved by man of the match Walker and hence was kept busy throughout the second half .
Like last season, failure to retain possession and be quick on the break did not help the cause yet again . In tighter games this needs to be addressed to gain vital points in situations.
Of the loanees , all looked OK .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 22:42 - Sep 9 with 1053 viewsmfb_cufc

This was a good win against a good footballing side. I think we were all a bit underwhelmed with the five deadline day signings, but all three who played today contributed to the win. Inniss wasn't the experienced centre-back we were hoping to sign, but he is an old head on young shoulders, and if he stays fit, he is going to be a real crowd favourite.

mfb

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 15:15 - Sep 10 with 985 viewsnoah4x4

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 22:42 - Sep 9 by mfb_cufc

This was a good win against a good footballing side. I think we were all a bit underwhelmed with the five deadline day signings, but all three who played today contributed to the win. Inniss wasn't the experienced centre-back we were hoping to sign, but he is an old head on young shoulders, and if he stays fit, he is going to be a real crowd favourite.

Sensible comments mfb_cufc.

I feel some U's fans are far too quick to criticise the current management. Yes, it has been a poor decade; yes, I understand their frustrations; but John McGreal turned around our fortunes last season and given the current crop of injuries he can only make a sincere judgment on what players to sign in conjunction with Moody and Humes. Until we cleared the decks (Porter, Elokobi, Johnstone etc) we had no surplus wage budget to bring in new as our squad was already amongst the larger.

Folk earlier commented about Mansfield quickly making eight signings. But that still left them with a smaller squad than we and despite them being the pundits pre-season favourites it's not yet put them in the top three. New players take time to gel. However, I thought Comley and Innis looked sure footed, and although Kabamba didn't impress quite as much, he is quick! Wright (substutute) again delivered no end product, so I would again give Kabamba another start on Tuesday. Mandron had a mare in his first game, but he is winning me over too.

I am glad you too concur that Crawley are a "good footballing team". I was appalled to hear comments that they were no better than Forest Green'. They made us battle in the second half and we became distinctly heavy legged. Players can't always maintain all out 100 MPH attack for 90 minutes and managers have to revert to defensive tactics at times. Looks ugly, frustrates fans, but I had enough entertainment in the first 45 minutes not to worry about a more dogged less adventurous second half. Credit to Crawley, they battled! Yet we won by a flattering goal difference.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 15:16]
Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 16:47 - Sep 10 with 963 viewsLeadbelly

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 15:15 - Sep 10 by noah4x4

Sensible comments mfb_cufc.

I feel some U's fans are far too quick to criticise the current management. Yes, it has been a poor decade; yes, I understand their frustrations; but John McGreal turned around our fortunes last season and given the current crop of injuries he can only make a sincere judgment on what players to sign in conjunction with Moody and Humes. Until we cleared the decks (Porter, Elokobi, Johnstone etc) we had no surplus wage budget to bring in new as our squad was already amongst the larger.

Folk earlier commented about Mansfield quickly making eight signings. But that still left them with a smaller squad than we and despite them being the pundits pre-season favourites it's not yet put them in the top three. New players take time to gel. However, I thought Comley and Innis looked sure footed, and although Kabamba didn't impress quite as much, he is quick! Wright (substutute) again delivered no end product, so I would again give Kabamba another start on Tuesday. Mandron had a mare in his first game, but he is winning me over too.

I am glad you too concur that Crawley are a "good footballing team". I was appalled to hear comments that they were no better than Forest Green'. They made us battle in the second half and we became distinctly heavy legged. Players can't always maintain all out 100 MPH attack for 90 minutes and managers have to revert to defensive tactics at times. Looks ugly, frustrates fans, but I had enough entertainment in the first 45 minutes not to worry about a more dogged less adventurous second half. Credit to Crawley, they battled! Yet we won by a flattering goal difference.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 15:16]

Wasn't at the game and heard no commentary but glad we won. How was Odelusi yesterday?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 16:59 - Sep 10 with 959 viewsmfb_cufc

Odelusi was on the bench, but never got on.

mfb

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 17:21 - Sep 10 with 946 viewsLeadbelly

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 16:59 - Sep 10 by mfb_cufc

Odelusi was on the bench, but never got on.

Interesting...according to one report I read he replaced Kinsella on 57 minutes.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 18:16 - Sep 10 with 924 viewsmfb_cufc

That would have been the BBC website where you saw that. They were wrong, it was Vincent-Young who replaced Kinsella.

mfb

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 18:19 - Sep 10 with 924 viewsnoah4x4

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 17:21 - Sep 10 by Leadbelly

Interesting...according to one report I read he replaced Kinsella on 57 minutes.

BBC have it wrong. Kinsella was replaced by KVY.

I agree with McGreal. We do have two of the best "full backs" in the league. Shame they both play on the same side of the pitch. But playing three central defenders at the back with Kinsella/KVY (and Reid) ahead of them gives us better defensive qualities, width and decent pacey support in attack. It was wonderful to see Tom Eastman overlapping, crossing balls from the opposition corner flag, with Lapslie and (one of) Kinsella, KVY or Reid supporting in defence (or attack).

Second half, and weary legs meant reversion to a more defensive line up. Would be interesting to see how many kilometres our players ran in H1. They threw the kitchen sink at Crawley, which isn't sustainable for 90 minutes. Second half and we were content to sacrifice possession and allow Crawley to move the ball sideways in front of us. Not pretty, gives the impression we were on the back foot, but effective. As Mfb_cufc said, we beat a good footballing side. This was no Forest Green.
Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 20:58 - Sep 10 with 892 viewsmfb_cufc

KVY is now producing the promise of his performances from when he first broke into the first team. It has taken him time for him to get over the mauling he was given by a one Kyle Ried, when our loanee was playing for Bradford. To get taken off after 30 minutes of that game must have been a big blow to his confidence. But in my opinion he is not a left back/wing back. I have always been in favour of left footed players playing on the left. Kinsella might not be the greatest to ever play for us, but he gives the team a balance that, with Dickenson being injured, nobody else at the club gives us. Drey Wright was a disaster when used in that position against Accrington, and we were totally exposed against Cambridge when Kinsella went off. To a certain extent we got exposed on that side again yesterday, but to be fair Boldewijn (the Crawley no. 7) was probably their best player. If Kinsella is out injured, then the natural replacement for him should be Kpekawa, but he has become one of the mystery missing players recently.

mfb

Tomorrow for the Super U's is all about the three points! on 12:41 - Sep 11 with 835 viewsburnsieespana

Guys, from a distance really appreciate these thoughtful comments.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024