Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A sobering thought! 17:27 - Nov 23 with 894 viewsgerry_us

Some of you will know but most wont, that I work as a part time warden for Lincs. Wildlife Trust at the Donna Nook seal sanctuary.
This is probably the best wildlife viewing area anywhere around but it is situated on the wild Lincolnshire coast, remote and open to the elements and reached by a single track "road". There are no facilities apart from a very small shop... and the seals. Why therefore did we attract over 6,500 visitor last Saturday and even more Sunday when the U's were able to attract only 3,200 for what was conceivably a local derby?
I can remember when (here he goes I can hear you say, the good old days) I first started to support the U's, average gates were 9,000 and that was comfortable in Layer Road and often was a full family outing.
With recent comments on this board it appears that the WHCS does not have the WOW factor to even attract the majority of the male of the species let alone families. Whenever I have been to WHCS, albeit very infrequently due to distance, I have found the ground funereal and without the character of Layer Road. Most of my supporting of the U's is now north of Watford but even this is likely to be less and less if during every away match we are subjected to foul mouthed youths who purport to be U's "supporters". I certainly would not take my wife to be subjected to the foul torrent of abuse that is interminable. Noah and I have discussed this at length on other threads and not always in agreement. Maybe the point I am trying to make is that very few, if any families attend together nowadays because of the atmosphere...or lack of it in the ground. I hope Saturday we can do away with abusive and foul mouthed chants at opposition and our own team members and get back to the basic meaning of "supporters".
What am I trying to say?
Difficult question really.
We, being the U's must provide entertainment both on and off the pitch and to be able to attract bigger gates, from which comes bigger receipts, from which comes bigger resources to attract better players to help our cause. How else can we achieve a better atmosphere in and around the ground which will hopefully rub off on the team's performance now and in coming seasons.
Ideas on a postcard to Mr Cowling c/o WHCS and no, I don't expect to see seals on the pitch next week.
And to our younger supporters....keep it clean Saturday please.
Rant over.
A sobering thought! on 18:48 - Nov 23 with 878 viewsLeadbelly

I'm no shrinking violet nor a prude but I do find the attitude and behaviour of some sections of the U's fans to be "off putting" to put it mildly. And it's not just the younger element. One of our S4 regulars has sat in the family stand with his daughter on a few occasions and says the language in there is no different to what you might hear anywhere else.

I no longer attend away games on a regular basis for a number of reasons but when I do it is very apparent that some of the younger element are always looking "trouble". I went to Cambridge last season and there were some who couldn't wait to confront stewards and police, with a couple running on the pitch. Nothing happened to provoke this so I can only assume this is what they set out to do. Pathetic.

Maybe I've become less tolerant of this sort of behaviour or maybe it has become more common. Either way, it's something that I will have to consider when ST renewals comes round. The club are, obviously, aware of the problem after the Accrington game but I wonder what they are doing to address it. I can't help but think that ignoring antisocial behaviour will only attract those who are inclined that way rather than anyone else and there's nothing positive about that.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

A sobering thought! on 22:01 - Nov 23 with 856 viewsnoah4x4

I think we are all on the same hymn sheet.

However, in this world whereby the no-smacking, no cane brigade has destroyed discipline in many homes and most schools what do we expect? Today, kids will threaten to call 'Childline' even if merely verbally disciplined and maliciously claim their teacher has inappropriately touched them when he/she hasn't if they have no other obvious defence. Mine used to always demand an appeal to the EU Court of Human Rights if I ever limited their activity to protect them from harm.

The courts also seem to treat every guilty party with a velvet glove? I find it odd that when fans are forcibly ejected one week they are usually back in the ground for the very next match and it is always the same handful of idiots.

More positively though, I don't think the situation is any worse than (say) at Layer Road. It is simply that we are older, wiser, more grumpy, less tolerant. Modern emphasis on Equality, Inclusivity, Gender Neutrality et al means that the trouble makers are now typically just a few kids. I recall when it would be mass gangs of adults that would be seeking to punch each others lights outs. Hopefully, those violent days are long gone, and maybe tolerance has brought some benefits? But does anybody else enjoy Peaky Blinders?
A sobering thought! on 22:52 - Nov 23 with 845 viewsspaceman

A sobering thought! on 22:01 - Nov 23 by noah4x4

I think we are all on the same hymn sheet.

However, in this world whereby the no-smacking, no cane brigade has destroyed discipline in many homes and most schools what do we expect? Today, kids will threaten to call 'Childline' even if merely verbally disciplined and maliciously claim their teacher has inappropriately touched them when he/she hasn't if they have no other obvious defence. Mine used to always demand an appeal to the EU Court of Human Rights if I ever limited their activity to protect them from harm.

The courts also seem to treat every guilty party with a velvet glove? I find it odd that when fans are forcibly ejected one week they are usually back in the ground for the very next match and it is always the same handful of idiots.

More positively though, I don't think the situation is any worse than (say) at Layer Road. It is simply that we are older, wiser, more grumpy, less tolerant. Modern emphasis on Equality, Inclusivity, Gender Neutrality et al means that the trouble makers are now typically just a few kids. I recall when it would be mass gangs of adults that would be seeking to punch each others lights outs. Hopefully, those violent days are long gone, and maybe tolerance has brought some benefits? But does anybody else enjoy Peaky Blinders?

Hi, have never posted here before, but thought I would put an alternative point of view for any casual readers. I used to go to Layer Road fairly regularly in the 90s, and stood near the Barside. I loved Friday night football and the atmosphere was usually OK. But it was back breaking standing on the terrace, the regular chorus of No Surrender from the barside was boring and in the 90s a total anachronism. You had a bad view from the terrace and I usually had a certain ex-MP standing in front of me airing his predictable views. Attendances were about the same as now as I remember. Just started going again after a break, and although I can appreciate the grass roots appeal of Layer Road, the WHCS is a much better match going experience, IMHO. You get a good view wherever you sit, and the atmosphere in the South Stand isn't too bad. There is still bad language but that's football! At least I've never heard the aforementioned ditty any more. There is a total cross section of people at the matches I've been to, but of course attendances could always be better. I think the problem is more geographic location than anything else unfortunately. A great many Colchester residents have moved into the town from the London side of Essex and so support the London clubs. The West Ham are only a 40 minute train ride away, and at the moment you can watch Premier League football there.
A sobering thought! on 09:57 - Nov 24 with 822 viewsMoor_Pinot

Great stuff with the seals Gerry - lovely creatures and good for you doing that.
On leaving work for Exeter University prior to setting up my art studio business I did 5 years work for Somerset Wildlife Trust. Wild life gives us a different perspective on so many things in this difficult life. Sometimes I would even admit that it gives me a tiny bit more satisfaction than the U's !!!!! And......out in all weathers on the lanes and paths of the Limousin I rarely witness poor behaviour either.....occasional scraps between magpies or badgers notwithstanding.
Seals have a higher "aaaaah factor" than the U's so maybe your 6500 gate can be explained by that! Nice animals to take children to see as well. Keep doing what you are doing and I will keep helping the french change their hunting laws! There is change.

Up the U's............a point tomorrow would be brilliant

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024