Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sammie Szmodics 18:35 - Dec 12 with 1956 viewsdurham_exile

I hope that I am not the only U's fan to be annoyed (no incensed and incandescent) at the negative press about Sammie Szmodics. Suddenly he is on everyone's radar and a move to anywhere is imminent (please not Poorman Road).

Whilst I welcome the success of the academy players (he's one of our own!) and the fact that 5 are playing regularly for the U's is great but please let us not get caught up in the euphoria of SELL, SELL, SELL in January.

It is sadly accepted that we will always be a selling club, but let us achieve something before giving away our prized assets.

Two weeks ago it was "Sammie who" outside of Colchester now we are suddenly wrapped up in a who blinks first bidding war for Szmodics when as far as I am concerned there is no FIRM interest but speculation.

Sammie has played 92 times for the U's since 2013 including cups and scored a creditable 19 goals (9 this season).

League games only TOTAL 77
2013-14 appearances 7
2014-15 appearances 31
2015-16 appearances 5
2016-17 appearances 19
2017-18 appearances 15

Please back off until we have achieved promotion this season before giving him away to some lame Championship side or worse still a league One outfit.

Gilbey and Moncur spring to mind as players who were touted as the next big thing but are languishing at their new clubs.

Sammie we need you at Colchester if we are to achieve anything this season.

Up the Super U's

Durham_exile

Sammie Szmodics on 18:47 - Dec 12 with 1950 viewsLeadbelly

Where is the press speculation, negative or otherwise? The only mention of Szmodics's potential departure that I've seen came from JM (a "come and get him" signal?)

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Sammie Szmodics on 19:24 - Dec 12 with 1941 viewsthrillseeker

DE - I wouldn't worry to much.

I personally do not think he is good enough yet. A purchasing club would be buying potential.
Sammie Szmodics on 19:52 - Dec 12 with 1935 viewswessex_exile

I 100% agree that we need to keep Sammie for the rest of this season, but if the right offer was made, who knows. I have no doubt that John McGreal would want to keep him if it was his decision, but he's not the one financing the operation. More importantly, who also knows what clauses might be in his contract regarding enquiries from higher up the football pyramid - the decision might just be Sammie's and his agent to make?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Sammie Szmodics on 22:27 - Dec 12 with 1919 viewsFruitbat

If I recall correctly, McGreal did exactly the same thing ahead of the January window last year with Dickenson. Not entirely sure what the point was then or now.
Sammie Szmodics on 23:38 - Dec 12 with 1913 viewsmfb_cufc

Sammie Szmodics on 19:24 - Dec 12 by thrillseeker

DE - I wouldn't worry to much.

I personally do not think he is good enough yet. A purchasing club would be buying potential.

I quite agree, his all round game is not good enough yet. His goal scoring exploits cover up that he doesn't produce much else. Of course a goal scorer will always attract attention, but I think bigger teams than us would want more out of a player than just that. His injury record is not great either.

mfb

Sammie Szmodics on 00:14 - Dec 13 with 1903 viewsDaniel

I agree with Thrill and MFB. I wouldn't be too disappointed if he went. He may have scored 9 goals this season but that's all he has done. He often goes missing from games. Saturday was a good example, he may have scored a couple, created the other and hit the woodwork, but that is all he done.
Sammie Szmodics on 10:46 - Dec 13 with 1881 viewsgerry_us

Sammie Szmodics on 00:14 - Dec 13 by Daniel

I agree with Thrill and MFB. I wouldn't be too disappointed if he went. He may have scored 9 goals this season but that's all he has done. He often goes missing from games. Saturday was a good example, he may have scored a couple, created the other and hit the woodwork, but that is all he done.

What more do you want from a forward
I think you have lost sight of his general work rate which will always give defenders problems and create opportunities for others. We can't afford to lose him.
Sammie Szmodics on 11:36 - Dec 13 with 1878 viewsLeadbelly

Sammie Szmodics on 10:46 - Dec 13 by gerry_us

What more do you want from a forward
I think you have lost sight of his general work rate which will always give defenders problems and create opportunities for others. We can't afford to lose him.

"We can't afford to lose him" doesn't apply to Szmodics or any other player at Col U (or any other club format matter).

If Szmodics departs in January some may consider that shows a lack of ambition and some may consider it would justify the chairman's focus on the Academy. Either way, we remain a selling club and are unlikely ever to be in a position to turn down reasonable bids for players. Frustrating, certainly. Annoying, probably. Avoidable, sadly not.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Login to get fewer ads

Sammie Szmodics on 16:52 - Dec 13 with 1853 viewsburnsieespana

All comes down to the money offered. If somebody offered a £1m how could we refuse?
We might be able to get a loan clause anyway until end of the season.
Equally we have to consider how Sammie felt about earning a lot more money if an offer comes in for him which is acceptable.
Whatever, Sammie does need to think of how little game time Gilbey, Moncur and even Sears are getting but again if they are being paid maybe five times more than we did I don't suppose they care very much.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 16:53]
Sammie Szmodics on 20:53 - Dec 13 with 1831 viewsbwildered

Very similar record at present too the second spells of Steve McGavin , Rooster also Dale Tempest and the much maligned Ken Jones .
Needs to get a proper run of games under his belt .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Sammie Szmodics on 08:10 - Dec 27 with 1666 viewsdurham_exile

More exit speculation fuelled by a combination of JM and the Gazette.

"Only a big bid for Sammie would prise him away"

Please stop this it is unsettling and taking the emphasis away from excellent TEAM performances.

Yes we want Szmodics to stay and we also want Guthrie and Dickenson back in the match day squad.

I see that Kurtis Guthrie played another 8 minutes yesterday. Hopefully I will be able to see both him and Szmodics play at Chez Vegas on Saturday.

In the meantime let us ensure that Szmodics sees out the season with us and once we are promoted only then consider a "big bid" everything else at present is speculative and disruptive.

I repeat we need Szmodics and would be foolish in the extreme to rush into transfers at the present time.

Up the upwardly mobile U's

Durham_exile

Sammie Szmodics on 20:15 - Dec 27 with 1615 viewsbwildered

Off to the the Tractorboys then, ( pure conjecture ) to revitalize the latest stuttering promotion campaign .
PS - No they can keep sharpshooter Freddie .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Sammie Szmodics on 13:08 - Dec 29 with 1529 viewsburnsieespana

We need Samie but if a big offer comes in we can't really refuse it. Might go down to last few days of the window particularly if he keeps scoring.
I suppose the best compromise would be a big fee and a loan back until season end!
Sammie Szmodics on 13:25 - Dec 29 with 1527 viewswessex_exile

Sammie Szmodics on 13:08 - Dec 29 by burnsieespana

We need Samie but if a big offer comes in we can't really refuse it. Might go down to last few days of the window particularly if he keeps scoring.
I suppose the best compromise would be a big fee and a loan back until season end!

...or crocks himself again just as the ink is drying?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Sammie Szmodics on 18:42 - Jan 10 with 1323 viewsgerry_us

Sammie Szmodics on 13:25 - Dec 29 by wessex_exile

...or crocks himself again just as the ink is drying?

Seems to have gone quiet after the newspaper rumour. Boss still talking him up as possible player of the month in Div.2 so maybe waiting for his value to increase or alternative club interest. Hopefully he will still be with us for Saturday and he won't be warming the bench...to avoid injury?
Strange that no mention on the U's website. It would be nice to know the club's feelings about the rumours.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024