Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clement speaks 21:16 - Feb 2 with 14149 viewsHeadmaster

I'm not subscribed, so can't read the full article, but here's the link anyway.

"Paul Clement interview: Swansea had eight midfielders but no left back — it was a headache"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/paul-clement-interview-swansea-had-eight-midf
Clement speaks on 08:57 - Feb 3 with 2098 viewsPawelAbbott

Clement speaks on 00:01 - Feb 3 by bringbacklaudrup

What we've been seeing is largely not a new manager bounce.

A persistent problem we've seen at Swansea in the past several seasons has been that the physical conditioning programmes are not close enough to the state of the art, so it takes several months after the start of the competitive season for the fitness and work rate to become adequate to perform well at this level. Look at how Sigurdsson's performances were mediocre to below average in the first few months of the season for the past few years, and it is only in mid to late January that his performances begin to approach his best. Of course this is partly due to the fact that Iceland has had to play more matches such as at Euro 2016 due to its success on the international stage. But this problem is mostly due to a fitness deficit.

The iconic Swansea style of play is very demanding fitness-wise, because players are required to constantly make themselves available for the pass before the player who passes the ball to them receives the ball. Under Rodgers and Laudrup, the players possessed the fitness necessary to play this style. In recent years, especially with the ball-at-feet focus in training, this fitness has waned. Specificity ("Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands") is only one principle in training. Another important principle is the Overload Principle, which says that the load of the training needs to be upgraded for any significant improvements in fitness or strength to be gained. It is very difficult for a training focused too much on ball-at-feet to adequately meet the demands of overloading. If one's body needs to be exposed regularly to carbohydrate depletion in order to be able to produce the physical resources to cope in such a state, their training needs to include a lot of aerobic activity that is continuous and long enough to make efficient use of carbohydrates necessary, and so the body is prepared to access other energy sources when carbohydrates are being depleted, which usually occurs only after about one hour of continuous exercise. Training focused mostly on ball-at-feet training wouldn't be continuous enough to efficiently prepare the body for such demands. When watching Swansea matches, the lack of explosive strength, speed, and endurance seemed obvious. Under Laudrup, the problems that occurred in the first half were mostly resolved in the second half; but after Laudrup, the many problems, particularly of tiring well before the end of the match became very visible.

Of course I am not saying that ball-at-feet training isn't essential. But it needs to be complemented with other exercises that are meant to boost the efficiency of cellular processes, which often change after the hour mark.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2018 0:04]

Under Laudrup we started the season very well and the tailed off badly after February.
For the last 3 seasons we have started terribly and finished strongly.
Each time a manager comes in they bring with them fitness coaches. I can't see how 3 different fitness coaches under 3 different managers have all made the same mistakes.
I think it is more to do with selling key elements of the team each summer so starting each season with a weakened team with no plan as to how to get them to function together.
Clement speaks on 08:59 - Feb 3 with 2092 viewsWarwickHunt

Clement speaks on 08:50 - Feb 3 by STID2017

This season defensively, 7 teams are worse than us, two are the same as us, whilst other teams, including Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester are only marginally better than us.
If you take out the 5, 4 and 4, scored against us by Liverpool, Manure and Citeh, it is clear that our problem has been not scoring goals (largely due to Clement and his negativity)
Our two "Championship level" full backs play as part of a unit which is showing itself to be strong.
Why Naughton in particular gets so much stick for being part of a reasonably tight unit is beyond me

Having a deep 8/9 man defence tends to help...

Naughton is the worst full-back in the PL. Playing with three centre-backs will make him slightly less of a liability. This season, Olsson hasn't been much better either.
Clement speaks on 09:12 - Feb 3 with 2078 viewsjedmo_jack

The vitriol towards Clement is unfair. You could see the defeats genuinely hurt him in the interviews and you have to be grateful for what he did last season.

Interesting to hear about what he says on Chadli, I felt like he'd be a great asset for us too and a direct Siggy replacement.

He echoes all our thoughts towards the left back situation and recruitment process in general. This is what he was working with and it hurt him badly this year.

Great insight into Renato too. If the lad can find confidence, he will have some good games for us. I have hope in CC being able to extract that out of him more than PC but it's gotta come from the player himself at the end of the day.
Clement speaks on 10:07 - Feb 3 with 2013 viewsPawelAbbott

Clement speaks on 09:12 - Feb 3 by jedmo_jack

The vitriol towards Clement is unfair. You could see the defeats genuinely hurt him in the interviews and you have to be grateful for what he did last season.

Interesting to hear about what he says on Chadli, I felt like he'd be a great asset for us too and a direct Siggy replacement.

He echoes all our thoughts towards the left back situation and recruitment process in general. This is what he was working with and it hurt him badly this year.

Great insight into Renato too. If the lad can find confidence, he will have some good games for us. I have hope in CC being able to extract that out of him more than PC but it's gotta come from the player himself at the end of the day.

There aren't many games left for him to have a decent one in.
I don't understand why they don't give him a few games in the U23s to help get some confidence and fitness back
Clement speaks on 10:14 - Feb 3 with 1998 viewsMyFinalHeaven

I don't even like Clement, but I'm glad he took a shot at the owners and pointed out how little they have spent since they've arrived and how you can't operate like that. No club can stay up if they keep having positive net spends of +10m every year while buying nothing but cheap shit window after window. He's also right in pointing out we've spent the lowest out of any club "over the past five or six years."

Come on you Swans.

Clement speaks on 10:26 - Feb 3 with 1972 viewsjack_lord

Clement speaks on 01:31 - Feb 3 by TheResurrection

I'm disgusted by those comments from the boring tvvat.

Clearly hurting cos he's just not up to it. Moans about central midfield then goes out and brings another one in. The fact he didn't know. Sanches was struggling for form, or maybe just not got it, says it all.

Oh and he kept playing him regardless of form.

I got it wrong about Clement, I genuinely thought he would be someone who continually evolved in the role. He wasn't, he was just as the Derby fans said all along, and his dour demeanour and dress sense really rubbed off, not just on the players, but everyone attached to the club, fans and all. The fact there were polls on here about sacking him with 95% infavour said it all. But he was allowed to rumble on and cause more damage.

Managers normally sign a gagging clause when leaving their club's, I hope that means the Swans will keep some of his severance money back.

Just like Monk, Clement, you won't make it either. Managers like you with your shape and fack all else grow out from cornflakes boxes two a penny, along with the badges you're so proud of.

and also he basically blamed the players for not being good enough.

He compared us to Derby, which is OK if we had been in the Championship but rather insulting as we are, at the moment, a Premier team. He went from one top European side to a Championship team and then from another top European side to a Premier team.

We have plenty of talent in our side and if they are coached as a team then obviously we can compete with the big teams which cut us open when he was in charge.

He was the Manager and maybe he should have pointed out that we were uneven. You don't have to be seen to be having a go at the "DOF".

Basically, though, he is trying to say he is a brilliant manager but in the long term it was everyone else's fault that he got sacked.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Clement speaks on 10:47 - Feb 3 with 1935 viewsKGriz16

Maybe he should have said all this when he was the manager and not using it as excuse as to why he failed at Swansea.
Clement speaks on 10:59 - Feb 3 with 1920 viewsdobjack2

Clement speaks on 10:47 - Feb 3 by KGriz16

Maybe he should have said all this when he was the manager and not using it as excuse as to why he failed at Swansea.

I believe it’s all about not airing the dirty laundry in public because of the money

Only a complete idiot would have been happy with the full back situation and not bringing in creativity. However if the manager spouts off to the press they will be on their way, maybe without compensation.
Login to get fewer ads

Clement speaks on 11:06 - Feb 3 with 1904 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 08:59 - Feb 3 by WarwickHunt

Having a deep 8/9 man defence tends to help...

Naughton is the worst full-back in the PL. Playing with three centre-backs will make him slightly less of a liability. This season, Olsson hasn't been much better either.

Jesus Chris mate....

Naughton, whether some on here like to admit it, and taking a few errors aside, has been one of our best performers all season.

Like I've said, yeah he makes a mistake here and there, he's a Swans defender up against the best, that happens. Bring Angel back for a month and then you'll see.

And before some say that's the problem, Angel isn't cover anymore well Carlos has had the chance on bringing in realistic targets this season and has chosen not to. The Barnsley lad could've come, Fredricks opted to stay at Fulham. So with the budget being the budget Carlos decided our defensive unit, with Naughton, Roberts and Olsson and our 4 over performing centre backs was good enough to spend the money in a much more needed area.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Clement speaks on 11:12 - Feb 3 with 1877 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 10:14 - Feb 3 by MyFinalHeaven

I don't even like Clement, but I'm glad he took a shot at the owners and pointed out how little they have spent since they've arrived and how you can't operate like that. No club can stay up if they keep having positive net spends of +10m every year while buying nothing but cheap shit window after window. He's also right in pointing out we've spent the lowest out of any club "over the past five or six years."

Bullshit and this goes back to an argument of a few days ago when it was made clear other owners are bankrolling their club's while we are living within our means, which we are and should continue to do so.

Clement is a very bitter and boringindividual. Yes,we should thank him for the miracle of last season, but this one, he has proven to just been bloody useless.

Let's not forget he almost ruined the careers of Mesa and Clucas. His boring tactics, his lack of possession, his lack of width and his cornflakes packet badges.

SCFC, do not pay this tvvat any severance monies.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Clement speaks on 11:15 - Feb 3 with 1864 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 10:26 - Feb 3 by jack_lord

and also he basically blamed the players for not being good enough.

He compared us to Derby, which is OK if we had been in the Championship but rather insulting as we are, at the moment, a Premier team. He went from one top European side to a Championship team and then from another top European side to a Premier team.

We have plenty of talent in our side and if they are coached as a team then obviously we can compete with the big teams which cut us open when he was in charge.

He was the Manager and maybe he should have pointed out that we were uneven. You don't have to be seen to be having a go at the "DOF".

Basically, though, he is trying to say he is a brilliant manager but in the long term it was everyone else's fault that he got sacked.

The other thing here is I can't remember a manager so bitter he came out to the press afterwards and literally blamed everyone and everything else apart from himself. Including the two Chairmen that gave him the opportunities in the first place.

Good luck with someone else giving you another chance and trusting you Mr Boring Facking Perfect.

Clement speaks on 11:21 - Feb 3 with 1847 viewsWarwickHunt

Clement speaks on 11:06 - Feb 3 by TheResurrection

Jesus Chris mate....

Naughton, whether some on here like to admit it, and taking a few errors aside, has been one of our best performers all season.

Like I've said, yeah he makes a mistake here and there, he's a Swans defender up against the best, that happens. Bring Angel back for a month and then you'll see.

And before some say that's the problem, Angel isn't cover anymore well Carlos has had the chance on bringing in realistic targets this season and has chosen not to. The Barnsley lad could've come, Fredricks opted to stay at Fulham. So with the budget being the budget Carlos decided our defensive unit, with Naughton, Roberts and Olsson and our 4 over performing centre backs was good enough to spend the money in a much more needed area.

Naughton - one of our best performers? Fûck me, Chrissy - been at the shrooms, mate?

Not sure how much, if any, of a say a coach on a short-term contract has over permanent signings...

We tried in the last window and failed to sign Arias or Yiadom - in the meantime, Rangel has got even slower and even more of a liability. Perhaps using three centre-backs and a couple of displays by Roberts has changed Jenkins' mind.

Love your passion and optimism, Chrissy - but Naughton? Really?
Clement speaks on 11:39 - Feb 3 with 1792 views34dfgdf54

Pretty basic question, IF we stay up, how do we strengthen next season? None of our players are going to be going for big bucks, maybe Mawson for £20m?

The yanks aren’t going to invest, they probably haven’t even got the cash to do it if they wanted too, so what happens when we run out of expensive assets?
Clement speaks on 11:48 - Feb 3 with 1779 viewsnantywatcher

Clement speaks on 11:21 - Feb 3 by WarwickHunt

Naughton - one of our best performers? Fûck me, Chrissy - been at the shrooms, mate?

Not sure how much, if any, of a say a coach on a short-term contract has over permanent signings...

We tried in the last window and failed to sign Arias or Yiadom - in the meantime, Rangel has got even slower and even more of a liability. Perhaps using three centre-backs and a couple of displays by Roberts has changed Jenkins' mind.

Naughton has never been as bad as the armchair critics made out, he has been excellent recently, but the inbuilt bigotry about certain players will not go away regardless of performance levels. Sad but true.
Clement speaks on 11:50 - Feb 3 with 1773 viewsjack247

Clement speaks on 11:15 - Feb 3 by TheResurrection

The other thing here is I can't remember a manager so bitter he came out to the press afterwards and literally blamed everyone and everything else apart from himself. Including the two Chairmen that gave him the opportunities in the first place.

Good luck with someone else giving you another chance and trusting you Mr Boring Facking Perfect.

Bob Bradley had a bloody good stab at it
Clement speaks on 12:20 - Feb 3 with 1713 viewsWarwickHunt

Clement speaks on 11:48 - Feb 3 by nantywatcher

Naughton has never been as bad as the armchair critics made out, he has been excellent recently, but the inbuilt bigotry about certain players will not go away regardless of performance levels. Sad but true.

Are you referring to a couple of decent second-half performances in "excellent recently"?

Inbuilt bigotry? Like you with Mesa?
Clement speaks on 12:21 - Feb 3 with 1707 viewslonglostjack

Clement speaks on 11:39 - Feb 3 by 34dfgdf54

Pretty basic question, IF we stay up, how do we strengthen next season? None of our players are going to be going for big bucks, maybe Mawson for £20m?

The yanks aren’t going to invest, they probably haven’t even got the cash to do it if they wanted too, so what happens when we run out of expensive assets?

Indeed. I have a feeling that if we stay up the Yanks will sell on. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't already sounding out potential buyers. The fly in the ointment of such an exit strategy would be legal action taken by the Trust.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2018 12:21]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Clement speaks on 12:24 - Feb 3 with 1694 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 11:21 - Feb 3 by WarwickHunt

Yep Naughton and it's true.

We could've signed Yiadom this window had Carlos wanted to.

Clement speaks on 12:26 - Feb 3 with 1678 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 12:20 - Feb 3 by WarwickHunt

Are you referring to a couple of decent second-half performances in "excellent recently"?

Inbuilt bigotry? Like you with Mesa?

Bullshit. He's been one of our best all season.

You won't have it, you've joined "the crowd" Phil.

Clement speaks on 12:30 - Feb 3 with 1666 viewsperchrockjack

Naught on os every bit as bad.

Beats me how anyone can defend him or his mistakes hete and there ,whic funnily enough lose us games .

Any doubts Look at his positioning for for Monreal goal.

Indefensible

This guy like Rotledge clearly take the Pity vote

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Clement speaks on 12:33 - Feb 3 with 1653 viewsWarwickHunt

Clement speaks on 12:24 - Feb 3 by TheResurrection

Yep Naughton and it's true.

We could've signed Yiadom this window had Carlos wanted to.

I think Carlos had seen enough of Yiadom in the Championship to recognise another Jenkins' lemon.
There are other full-backs out there but Jenkins seems stuck in a timewarp.

Let's see if Carlos can improve Naughton's marking/positional awareness and stop his first instinct to look backwards/sideways when he has the ball. If not, give Roberts a go.
Clement speaks on 12:35 - Feb 3 with 1644 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 11:39 - Feb 3 by 34dfgdf54

Each season is dynamic and you will never know accurately from one week to the next what any one of our players may be worth to another club.

We've spent considerable money on loans this season. Mesa as well.

The first thing we'll do is assess how we do for the rest of the season. How many of our performing or under performing players will want to be here next year.

At this very moment in time I would say our playing assets would look something like this

Fab 15m
Mawson 25 to 35m
Jordan Ayew 15m to 20m
Andre Ayew 15m plus
Clucas 15 to 20m

And then you'd be surprised what players like Fernandez would command, VdH now as well, Bony.

There's just no point constantly looking at the doom and gloom. Clement has done this to most of you and now it's time to snap out of it and look at the positives, because this side was never as bad as fans made out.

Clement speaks on 12:36 - Feb 3 with 1636 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 12:30 - Feb 3 by perchrockjack

Naught on os every bit as bad.

Beats me how anyone can defend him or his mistakes hete and there ,whic funnily enough lose us games .

Any doubts Look at his positioning for for Monreal goal.

Indefensible

This guy like Rotledge clearly take the Pity vote

I rest my case

Clement speaks on 12:37 - Feb 3 with 1634 viewsTheResurrection

Clement speaks on 12:33 - Feb 3 by WarwickHunt

I think Carlos had seen enough of Yiadom in the Championship to recognise another Jenkins' lemon.
There are other full-backs out there but Jenkins seems stuck in a timewarp.

Let's see if Carlos can improve Naughton's marking/positional awareness and stop his first instinct to look backwards/sideways when he has the ball. If not, give Roberts a go.

Phil, over 90% of your posts you mention Jenkins.

Clement speaks on 12:41 - Feb 3 with 1622 viewsjedmo_jack

Naughton as a one to one tackler is actually good, he is just prone to lapses of concentration and mistakes from time to time.

This flat back 5 and bank of 4 in front of him is playing into his hands a bit as there's less of an onus on him going forward (and even when he has he's looked better under CC) and allowed him to just get stuck in and defend.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024