Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Results tonight 22:43 - Feb 20 with 1519 viewsLeadbelly

Carlisle and Cambridge both won to close to within two points and Exeter got out of jail at the death so we are now 5 points off the last playoff spot. Not a good evening I'm afraid.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Results tonight on 23:53 - Feb 20 with 1509 viewsnoah4x4

Am I the only one thinking promotion might not be positive? We have not won an away game north of Colchester since April 9th 2016 (0-1 at Blackpool). Are we really ready to compete at any higher level? Is it not better to build consistency at Division Two level rather than be out of our depth and suffer defeat even more often? Frankly, I have hated listening to all the constant moaning from many U's fans over the last eight years and wish we could have a positive period albeit in this division.

Tonight's results perhaps offer us opportunity to introduce new personnel. I say give debuts to Ryan Gondoh and Paul Rooney whilst giving Junior further starts. From what I have seen in the U23s these guys will run through brick walls in blue & white.
Results tonight on 09:35 - Feb 21 with 1486 viewspwrightsknees

Results tonight on 23:53 - Feb 20 by noah4x4

Am I the only one thinking promotion might not be positive? We have not won an away game north of Colchester since April 9th 2016 (0-1 at Blackpool). Are we really ready to compete at any higher level? Is it not better to build consistency at Division Two level rather than be out of our depth and suffer defeat even more often? Frankly, I have hated listening to all the constant moaning from many U's fans over the last eight years and wish we could have a positive period albeit in this division.

Tonight's results perhaps offer us opportunity to introduce new personnel. I say give debuts to Ryan Gondoh and Paul Rooney whilst giving Junior further starts. From what I have seen in the U23s these guys will run through brick walls in blue & white.

Noah, we have already built consistency at League 2 level............
Results tonight on 10:59 - Feb 21 with 1476 viewsnoah4x4

Results tonight on 09:35 - Feb 21 by pwrightsknees

Noah, we have already built consistency at League 2 level............

I disagree.

We spent the first half of last season in the relegation zone. Then after a promising end of season run to edge close to the 2016-17 play offs we languish in the bottom half of the table for the first three months of the 2017-18 season, hence failing to build on progress from the previous season. A brief revival occurs; things looking up until Christmas, then a new slump. The only thing consistent is that our record away from home when travelling north since April 2015 is dire.

We won't compete with Division One quality until our midfield is sorted. Wright and Jackson are our principle weak links.
Results tonight on 11:24 - Feb 21 with 1471 viewspwrightsknees

Results tonight on 10:59 - Feb 21 by noah4x4

I disagree.

We spent the first half of last season in the relegation zone. Then after a promising end of season run to edge close to the 2016-17 play offs we languish in the bottom half of the table for the first three months of the 2017-18 season, hence failing to build on progress from the previous season. A brief revival occurs; things looking up until Christmas, then a new slump. The only thing consistent is that our record away from home when travelling north since April 2015 is dire.

We won't compete with Division One quality until our midfield is sorted. Wright and Jackson are our principle weak links.

Fair comment, Noah, and, as usual, your analysis of statistics is spot on. What I was referring to is the fact that we are mostly and consistently in the middle third of the League 2 table.
Results tonight on 17:51 - Feb 21 with 1439 viewsDaniel

I note that Cambridge have won 3 in 3 since Joe Dunne became their caretaker manager.
Results tonight on 20:28 - Feb 21 with 1424 viewsburnsieespana

Did he not do something similar with us when he first took charge Daniel?
Results tonight on 21:31 - Feb 21 with 1416 viewsLeadbelly

Dead cat bounce?

Results tonight on 23:12 - Feb 21 with 1404 viewsdurham_exile

Promotion has to be the ultimate goal this season. The prospect of languishing another season in the basement Division is not appealing.

One of the reasons that we didn't attract better players during the transfer window was mainly down to our league standing.

Sadly we are growing accustomed to failure and it is not the way forward for the club. League One is the correct level for Colchester and as with the halcyon season 2005/06, the promised land can become achievable.

Look at last seasons promoted clubs, Plymouth after the most horrendous start are looking dark horses for a play off spot, Pompey equally are hovering around the top 7 or 8 clubs. Doncaster are safely mid table and only Blackpool with their serious on and off field problems are struggling and even then have a slight buffer.

I do not agree with this philosophy of settling for mid table mediocrity or another year of consolidation. The better players will drift away from the club and we will struggle to attract quality new ones.

No, we have 12 games left to really make an impact. Until mathematically impossible we must endeavour to reach the top seven. Anything is then possible. Automatic promotion has sadly gone, but a concerted run of positive results and we can finish 7th.

The fans deserve better than the dross dished up on Saturday. The run in starts on Saturday at home to the bottom club. Carlisle made short work of them on Tuesday night and the Grecians showed Colchester how to win at Crewe with two late goals (their speciality last season).

One thing is certain if we fail to make the Top seven, JM must go. Enough is enough.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Results tonight on 18:54 - Feb 22 with 1351 viewsgerry_us

Noah correctly said
"The only thing consistent is that our record away from home when travelling north since April 2015 is dire"
This is a total unacceptable situation and especially last Saturday when we had the best opportunity to break this bad habit.
Whilst Durham continues to suffer his three year dearth of a 3 pointer I am beginning to close up on him. The inability to win away from home above the M25 is an unexplained phenomenon that needs addressing. Beating promotion candidate Coventry one day and losing to Crewe a few days later has to be down to the philosophy of the manager.
Is it possible that we could go gung-Ho for the rest of the season or is the plan to again be " top of those that fail ?"
I would much prefer a struggle in League 1 than total mediocrity in League 2.
Results tonight on 16:19 - Feb 23 with 1303 viewsMoor_Pinot

" I would much prefer to struggle in lg 1......" Me too Gerry. I recall the Wignall & Whitton years with affection, driving, like Durham [but from Somerset] to game after game and sneaking unexpected points to stay in Lg 1. I remember that fantastic 5-4 v Bristol Rovers and many other results besides....I think we even got 4 at Meadow lane once. The investment by Mr Cowling, the facilities, indeed many of our current squad all hint at being better than league 2. I accept that neither our crowds nor our results are and the latter begs the question which keeps appearing on here. I think I have accepted that we won't go up this year but I do feel we ought to be a lot closer to promotion than we are. Our circumstances are better than many. Looking at Chesterfield, let alone Tranmere, wrexham and Stockport I remind myself of where I do not want to be, which is why Lg 1 is essential for our club. Up the U's.......probably next season!

Moor Pinot

Results tonight on 22:08 - Feb 27 with 1238 viewsdurham_exile

Worst possible result tonight.

Wycombe have hit the self destruct button allowing Coventry to win 1-0

I am even more angry about our last two results which have both been Arsenal like spineless performances.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Results tonight on 20:29 - Feb 28 with 1197 viewsgerry_us

Benefits of staying in Div 2...or 1 is no VAR in the foreseeable future. How long will football matches take when VAR is fully introduced in the Prem? How soon before the referee disappears from the pitch all together?
This is not football as I know and love it.
Results tonight on 17:16 - Mar 3 with 1136 viewsdurham_exile

Carlisle record another home win after GRIMsby rolled over to leave Colchester 12th in the league.

We need to win 8 out of our last 11 games to have any chance of a play off place.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Results tonight on 17:52 - Mar 3 with 1131 viewsLeadbelly

Results tonight on 17:16 - Mar 3 by durham_exile

Carlisle record another home win after GRIMsby rolled over to leave Colchester 12th in the league.

We need to win 8 out of our last 11 games to have any chance of a play off place.

Up the U's

Based on our form since the start of 2018 winning 8 out of 11 games simply won't happen.

Another season in League 2 beckons. With so many of our "best" players out of contract in the summer I'm expecting an exodus and a very different squad for next season...and I'm not expecting it to be a better squad either.

Results tonight on 15:40 - Mar 4 with 1094 viewsburnsieespana

Leedbelly, if we fail to get into the playoffs you have to question whether they are our 'best' players.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2018 15:41]
Results tonight on 16:23 - Mar 4 with 1079 viewsLeadbelly

Results tonight on 15:40 - Mar 4 by burnsieespana

Leedbelly, if we fail to get into the playoffs you have to question whether they are our 'best' players.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2018 15:41]

There was a reason for the quotation marks

Results tonight on 21:52 - Mar 6 with 1032 viewsdurham_exile

Decent results tonight with Mansfield and Lincoln playing out a 1-1- draw and Bennett sent off for the Stags and unable to play Saturday against the Super U's.

Notts Co drew again and only Accrington managed a win to close the gap on the Hatters.

We remain 7 points off a top seven spot.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024