Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight 10:56 - Mar 20 with 1221 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his shattered charges to the Globe Arena this evening to take on the Shrimps of Morecambe. The Bard enjoyed the Globe and penned all the world's a stage in his play As You like It. Well if the world is a stage and life is a play then the U's need to Play up and Play the game.

Frankly things couldn’t get much worse for the U’s at present. Here’s the irony though the target still remains at 24 points from the remaining games. So mathematically we still have a chance (albeit ultra slim) of securing the 75 points, but let’s be totally honest unless JM is prepared to play his best team, we have no chance whatsoever of challenging for the top seven, rather we will closer to the bottom seven.

Jim Bentley will be purring after his Shrimps devoured the Grecians on Saturday. They also play at home to Lincoln on Saturday and so Bentley will be looking for back to back home success tonight against this lack lustre Colchester side who are largely now playing for pride.

We are advancing backwards big style with an awful run since THAT win against Coventry, when I thought that we would be nailed on for the top seven. We have regressed since last season and frankly have not looked the part for much of the current campaign.

Given that our home record had improved so much I was incensed to read that JM was looking forward to playing Away because the WHCS was putting too much pressure on the team. What tosh that is.

JM needs to play his best team every game and stop this almost sycophantic approach to players like Drey Wright who seems to be able to play abysmally and still be picked for the next game. Although we could lose a number of our best players in the Summer, Wright will still be there in August. He has lost pace, an inability to take on and beat defenders and JM constantly plays him out of position. Is that down to Wright or has JM played the football and confidence out of him?

Stevenson sadly is the Luke Shaw of Colchester. A very talented youngster who will be playing for Wolves in the top division next year, yet JM doesn’t play him. JM says that he doesn’t want to over play Dickenson but then he is injured in training (was Emile Heskey training with the squad I wonder).

Yes, I’m angry, no make that very angry. The fans deserve better than the dross served up at present. I am seething when I see the results and the defeats to teams that must be laughing at our plight. Crewe, Barnet and Yeovil, sorry but it is a joke to be continually losing to such teams. But maybe we are just as bad. After all we cannot finish the chances being created and then concede sloppy goals.

Fortunately, 51 points is on the board which means that we cannot suffer the ignominy of relegation, but we are likely to lose Walker, Prosser, Vincent-Young, Guthrie, and Dickenson this summer plus of course all the loanees.

JM now has nothing to lose, let us see some fight, passion, commitment and enthusiasm from the team tonight in Lancashire.

I would love to see JM play the following side in a 3,3,4 formation:

Walker

Eastman Prosser Kent

Vincent-Young Comley Stevenson

Senior Mandron Ogedi-Uzokwe Dickenson

Subs:
Barnes Jackson Rooney Shodipo Szmodics Murray Wright

Take the fight to the opposition, play without fear and let’s see what they can achieve.

Nine games 27 points, perhaps with some of the top six to play we might fare better.

JM must get rid of his siege mentality because we are always better playing forward and looking to win rather than eking out a point here or there.

Morecambe A
Stevenage A
Luton H
Forest Green A
Accrington H
Notts Co H
Lincoln A
Swindon H
Exeter A

Given that we have to win 8 from 9 as things stand let’s give it a real go and attack, attack, attack, attack, attack!

I actually feel marginally better having got some of this anger off my chest, but can we play with resolve tonight and some belief which appears to have dissipated since Christmas.

Morecambe weather is looking to be dry and bright today with 3 degrees Celsius tonight and continuing dry. The pitch will be bumpy because the surface wasn’t great last season when the two points dropped that afternoon ultimately cost us seventh spot.

Can tonight kick start the most unlikely of revivals for the U’s to take to Stevenage Borough on Saturday.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 11:17 - Mar 20 with 1208 viewsmfb_cufc

Excellent review as usual. I agree with everything you say about team selection.

If you are still going, try and enjoy the game, even though that is hard at the moment. Hope they can get the win your perseverance deserves.

mfb

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 12:46 - Mar 20 with 1196 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 11:17 - Mar 20 by mfb_cufc

Excellent review as usual. I agree with everything you say about team selection.

If you are still going, try and enjoy the game, even though that is hard at the moment. Hope they can get the win your perseverance deserves.

mfb, thanks for your comments, Yes I am going tonight and like you and many other loyal supporters, will be there next season inspite of all the disappointments.

That is the cross that Colchester supporters have to bear.

Can Colchester achieve a miracle with 9 to play?????

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 14:05 - Mar 20 with 1184 viewsthrillseeker

Another good preview DE

I fear McGreal will screw up his starting XI as per recent weeks.

I am normally positive regarding the U's irrespective of form but I have given up on reaching the Play Offs. I also don't won't a situation like last season where we only just missed out as that will paper over the cracks.

I am actually fearful for next season due to the potential huge change in playing staff.

Anyway enjoy the game tonight Durham
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 14:19 - Mar 20 with 1179 viewsnoah4x4

Agree with your team Durham, except I would retain Lapslie for Comley to give us a bit of Izzet style bites your legs venom. Tom has played well since his return.

But Wright, Szmodics, Guthrie can all leave as far as I am concerned. I too would leave Guthrie behind. No passion, has lost the plot.

Whilst I was originally going, I can't make tonight's rescheduled match, so that's one less to add vocal support. Safe journey to all.
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 14:20 - Mar 20 with 1177 viewsHungryStudent

Once again a brilliant preview.

Would love to see a change up from McGreal both in team and tactics:

4-3-3/4-2-4.

Walker

KVY (Gondoh if RJ still injured)
Prosser
Kent
Jackson

Stevenson
Lapslie

Wright
Szmodics
Mandron
Senior

Bench: Barnes, Eastman, Gondoh, Comley, Murray, Shodipo, Junior
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 20:54 - Mar 20 with 1124 viewsgerry_us

Seems like we are really going for it tonight. One shot, not on target in 45 minutes.
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 21:13 - Mar 20 with 1116 viewsnoah4x4

70 mins still only 2 shots
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 21:19 - Mar 20 with 1115 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 21:13 - Mar 20 by noah4x4

70 mins still only 2 shots

...but none on target. McGreal has obviously asked for all out attack?
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 21:37 - Mar 20 with 1104 viewsgerry_us

Stunning result tonight. Three shots, none on target. Hope the excitement was not too much for Durham.
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 21:39 - Mar 20 with 1100 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 21:37 - Mar 20 by gerry_us

Stunning result tonight. Three shots, none on target. Hope the excitement was not too much for Durham.

Looking on the bright side, Durham didn't see us lose...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 22:38 - Mar 20 with 1071 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 21:39 - Mar 20 by wessex_exile

Looking on the bright side, Durham didn't see us lose...

That will be of little consolation to him when the game was a complete load of sh*te.
Only one shot on target in the game, and none from us. Playing for a 0-0 as usual. Please go now McGreal you utter bore.

mfb

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 23:32 - Mar 20 with 1060 viewsnoah4x4

I was unable to attend; the first away game I have missed since August. So glad I am not stuck in a bus until almost 04:00am having heard from those that are suffering such misfortune.

We still have not won North of the Watford Gap since April 2016. Stevenage Saturday, nah, another bore draw. Junior must play!!!!!
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 23:32 - Mar 20 with 1059 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 22:38 - Mar 20 by mfb_cufc

That will be of little consolation to him when the game was a complete load of sh*te.
Only one shot on target in the game, and none from us. Playing for a 0-0 as usual. Please go now McGreal you utter bore.

Just back from the game - 52 of the faithful made the trip in a crowd of just 893.

Team selection was shocking, neither Courtney Senior nor Ben Stevenson in the starting XI.

Closest either team came to scoring was when Kenyon back headed the ball against his own bar with Mandron in close attendance.

Sam Walker made a smart double save on the brink of half time.

The three year unwelcome winless record continues.

Found a decent fish and chip restaurant near the front, which was very enjoyable.

Confidence from the team at an all time low.

JM must go.

Up the U's

Will pen some more thoughts tomorrow after thinking where we go from here.

Just the 8 wins required now from 8 games!!!!!!

Durham_exile

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 08:35 - Mar 21 with 1017 viewsthrillseeker

You have to question McGreal.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I thought McGreal would screw up his starting XI and he did not let me down.

So sad to be a U's supporter at this present moment

Things can only get better - or can they?
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 09:52 - Mar 21 with 1003 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 23:32 - Mar 20 by durham_exile

Just back from the game - 52 of the faithful made the trip in a crowd of just 893.

Team selection was shocking, neither Courtney Senior nor Ben Stevenson in the starting XI.

Closest either team came to scoring was when Kenyon back headed the ball against his own bar with Mandron in close attendance.

Sam Walker made a smart double save on the brink of half time.

The three year unwelcome winless record continues.

Found a decent fish and chip restaurant near the front, which was very enjoyable.

Confidence from the team at an all time low.

JM must go.

Up the U's

Will pen some more thoughts tomorrow after thinking where we go from here.

Just the 8 wins required now from 8 games!!!!!!

Good to hear you found some great fish and chips. Highlight of the day?
Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 11:45 - Mar 21 with 966 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to pot those Shrimps at the Globe tonight on 08:35 - Mar 21 by thrillseeker

You have to question McGreal.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I thought McGreal would screw up his starting XI and he did not let me down.

So sad to be a U's supporter at this present moment

Things can only get better - or can they?

Yes Thrillo, they can get worse. Hungrystudent and other regular posters have plausible solutions and I cannot see why they would not work. But they have to be actively enacted. This is the problem, our club is run in a very conspecific way with little seemingly lateral consideration and a narrow approach is reducing potential on many if not all levels [I exclude our youth programme where the U23s are clearly proud to be who they are] .

I actually think this is the lowest point for 28 years - ie, since we escaped from the Conference. It is a rotten period at the moment.

The squad is - on paper - perfectly tidy and contains real potential. But once again, no Junior, no Senior etc last night so how will we ever know what is possible? Eleven of our games plus one in the FA Cup have resulted in zero goals scored. A third of our fixtures = 0 goals!

We are deservedly in the bottom half and as Whalers says in his post our form since Christmas would result in change at most clubs. Mr McG struggled from day 1, he has not even worked out his best side nor methodology yet. However, change would only bring another inward-looking outcome. I cannot remember a period in my 55 years supporting the U's when we have had such uncreative, lacklustre, uninspired managers following each other.

If money is the issue - and I respect Mr Cowling's position and as I say on the other thread am grateful for his input to our club which means we still have one - why not just for once look outside the box?
In the same way that we once brought Jim Smith to the U's from Boston, there are options which may not be expensive. Do we ever look?

We missed the Cowley brothers - that's why Lincoln [arguably a smaller club than us] are heading for another promotion possibility.

But things are clearly working well at Ebbsfleet, at Sutton and amazingly at a club with crowds that are half Morecombe's - Boreham Wood. Any of those 3 could be playing us next season.
Or why not look a little wider like Plymouth have, taking on a little known but successful manager who has delivered promotion and now possibly another.
So, who is taking Queen of the South to the verge of the Scottish Prem? And who has made St Mirren such a dominant club? I don't know but options exist that are more adventurous than just employing the next coach from Tiptree,

It is a sad time to be a U's supporter.
I have even reached the stage where I enjoy Durham's previews more than his match reports.

Solutions are there, we just need to alter the paradigm and try some.
The club are stagnating at best, declining fast at worst and only the supporters seem to be truly aware.

Up the dull 1 goal in five game U's

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024