Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil 21:49 - Mar 21 with 2451 viewsGOSBTS

Brighton fan in peace! I've been a lifelong Albion fan, growing up in Sussex (but currently live in Coventry) but my wife's family are all from the Colchester/Clacton area, so I went to my first U's game on Saturday against Yeovil whilst she was at a hen do. Must admit, it felt very weird wearing a non-Brighton piece of clothing (it was so freezing I couldn't help but buy a U's hat) but I had a thoroughly enjoyable experience, minus the result. Stewards very friendly, nice family feel in the concourses and got chatting to a lovely bloke who gave me the lowdown on the U's and the current struggles you're facing. I felt weirdly at home, most likely because I was born into this world following the Albion when they had just lost the Goldstone and were in the bottom division.

Anyway, we're planning to move to Essex within the year so I'm hoping to take myself, and Godwilling our kids in the future, to further games at the WHCS. :) Hope you have a strong end to the season and see you next year!
Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 09:51 - Mar 22 with 2423 viewsMoor_Pinot

I am glad you were made welcome because you are indeed very welcome to the cause.

Moor Pinot

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 16:49 - Mar 22 with 2403 viewsFruitbat

Could have been a worse introduction...........you could have gone to the Barnet game.
Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 18:26 - Mar 22 with 2394 viewsdurham_exile

Welcome to the unique club that is Colchester United.

Many years ago I went to the Goldstone Ground to watch Colchester. We were 3-0 down at half time and finished the match with a 6-0 drubbing. Happy Days.

Enjoy the games next season at the WHCS.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 19:59 - Mar 22 with 2381 viewsbwildered

No doubt the club can put some seats in scaffolding if you want to relive the Withdean experience. Welcome, enjoy the Colu roller coaster .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 21:25 - Mar 22 with 2369 viewswessex_exile

Welcome chap, and likewise really glad you enjoyed your experience.

Remembering what you guys went through in exile, and then the Withdean (went there twice), and comparing with our struggles to move beyond the much-beloved Layer Rd, I feel we're definitely kindred spirits - and we both play in blue and white stripes! Supporting the U's has always been a roller-coaster of emotions, and it certainly feels like we've been on one of those long downhill stretches in recent years, but inevitably, probably not this season mind, we'll hit the ramp going up.

We're small in number, but what I will say is that when we're on song, when the wind is right, you won't find a more vociferous, passionate, humorous, oft irascible but welcoming support to be part of than the U's faithful. We welcome all faiths, many on here have other clubs, and I personally have brought supporters of (for instance) Arsenal, St Albans, Chesterfield, rugby (:-(), Man City, Southampton, Pompey, Bristol City and Tranmere repeatedly to matches, plus of course there is our most-excellent Swedish Branch.

Hope when it happens the move and family plans work out, and looking forward to seeing you at a match one day soon.

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 07:05 - Mar 29 with 2249 viewsGOSBTS

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 19:59 - Mar 22 by bwildered

No doubt the club can put some seats in scaffolding if you want to relive the Withdean experience. Welcome, enjoy the Colu roller coaster .

Find me somewhere without an overhead covering so I can be rained on three games in a row, and it'll feel just like Withdean haha!

Many thanks for all your warm welcomes. Was very pleased to see the you beat Stevenage on Saturday. Wish I was down in Essex for Easter weekend so I could go and watch the game against Luton, as it'll be an interesting one. Up the U's!
Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 20:19 - Nov 24 with 1914 viewsGOSBTS

Second U's game today. Bit of a dour first half but second half was great and loved seeing my first U's goal in the South Stand - what a strike from Sammie! Enjoyed some of the anti-Ipswich chants and the Allez chant.

My wife and I have moved to Sudbury now so I fully plan to be in attendance against Macclesfield and many further home games. Up the U's!
Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 13:40 - Nov 25 with 1862 viewsMoor_Pinot

Bravo GOSBTS!
I watched the game live on i-follow [I live in France] and agree the second half shaded the first. Our attack iis missing Norris and I felt the substitutions were pretty uninspired, Senior had been tired for ten-twenty minutes and there's a game on Tuesday. Mandron's second half showing went un noticed by the commentators and I think Norris would have fed better from his work than Frank Nouble did. His direct runs with a shot were missing yesterday and I'd have replaced him not Mandron. With just 4 goals in our last 7 games it may be that we are being 'out-managed'; ie opposition teams have in place suitable tactics to nullify our adventurous play going forward. Swindon did likewise but Exeter were a better side. That said, we deserved to have won and Szmodics deserved the win for his own '9 out of ten' performance. Pym had a great game and the outside of the post eluded us several times. With the big strong sides like Bury, Mansfield and Northampton now gathering as people forecast we need a win on Tuesday or we could drop from 3rd to 11th!!! It is a division with, as yet, no real threat to MK or Lincoln but it was very good for us that Stevenage scored in the last minute and nobody above us profitted from our losing two points. So, only one disappointment really - our ability to give away pointless free-kicks [such as the one from which they equalised]. We have a penchant for it. It is crazy to concede like that when the opposition player poses no threat. Congrat's to Kensdale on his tidy debut and as you say GOSBTS it was a good and very watchable game.

As for Sudbury, the artist in me loves the place - I have spent many an hour in Gainsborough's house/museum and I once saw Jack Bruce wandering unnoticed along the street in front of Boots wearing a 461 Ocean Boulevard T-shirt! nobody noticed him either. Nice town, good luck with it, nice walks by the river.

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 14:21 - Nov 25 with 1858 viewsLeadbelly

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 13:40 - Nov 25 by Moor_Pinot

Bravo GOSBTS!
I watched the game live on i-follow [I live in France] and agree the second half shaded the first. Our attack iis missing Norris and I felt the substitutions were pretty uninspired, Senior had been tired for ten-twenty minutes and there's a game on Tuesday. Mandron's second half showing went un noticed by the commentators and I think Norris would have fed better from his work than Frank Nouble did. His direct runs with a shot were missing yesterday and I'd have replaced him not Mandron. With just 4 goals in our last 7 games it may be that we are being 'out-managed'; ie opposition teams have in place suitable tactics to nullify our adventurous play going forward. Swindon did likewise but Exeter were a better side. That said, we deserved to have won and Szmodics deserved the win for his own '9 out of ten' performance. Pym had a great game and the outside of the post eluded us several times. With the big strong sides like Bury, Mansfield and Northampton now gathering as people forecast we need a win on Tuesday or we could drop from 3rd to 11th!!! It is a division with, as yet, no real threat to MK or Lincoln but it was very good for us that Stevenage scored in the last minute and nobody above us profitted from our losing two points. So, only one disappointment really - our ability to give away pointless free-kicks [such as the one from which they equalised]. We have a penchant for it. It is crazy to concede like that when the opposition player poses no threat. Congrat's to Kensdale on his tidy debut and as you say GOSBTS it was a good and very watchable game.

As for Sudbury, the artist in me loves the place - I have spent many an hour in Gainsborough's house/museum and I once saw Jack Bruce wandering unnoticed along the street in front of Boots wearing a 461 Ocean Boulevard T-shirt! nobody noticed him either. Nice town, good luck with it, nice walks by the river.

Up the U's

Jack Bruce was probably doing his weekly shop. He used to live in Bures.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 10:40 - Nov 26 with 1813 viewsMoor_Pinot

Ahhh....of course. I had forgotten that Whales. I think lived in Suffolk until his death didn't he?

Moor Pinot

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 16:59 - Nov 26 with 1796 viewsbwildered

With the River Stour running through the middle, the delightful Bures is locationed to the North in Suffolk and South in Essex .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 20:59 - Nov 26 with 1786 viewsLeadbelly

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 10:40 - Nov 26 by Moor_Pinot

Ahhh....of course. I had forgotten that Whales. I think lived in Suffolk until his death didn't he?

He died at home in Bures if I recall correctly. Not sure if he was on the Essex or Suffolk side though.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 21:05 - Nov 27 with 1743 viewsGOSBTS

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 13:40 - Nov 25 by Moor_Pinot

Bravo GOSBTS!

Up the U's

What position was Nouble playing? To me he looked like he was on the wing, but his legs had certainly gone by the second half it appeared. Senior and Szmodics were the two standouts for me. Kensdale indeed did a good job. Very sturdy and solid side McGreal has put together.

Yes I can't wait to visit Gainsborough's house soon! As they just won more lottery funding I think next week you can get in for free if you have bought a National Lottery ticket. Loving this neck of the woods so far - thanks for your well wishes!

Great that the U's are 1-0 up so far and both MK Dons and Lincoln are dropping points as it stands. Fingers crossed it stays that way!
Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 23:19 - Nov 27 with 1729 viewspwrightsknees

Welcome GOSBTS.

A piece of useless and uninteresting trivia for you. I went to my first U's match in April 1954, aged 7. It was a 1-1 draw with - guess who - Brighton and Hove Albion. I've had a soft spot for Brighton ever since and always have a glance at their scores.
Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 10:54 - Nov 28 with 1717 viewsMoor_Pinot

Splendid to win last night - crucial.
We have lost the goalscoring touch completely since Norris' injury [no criticism of Mandron who has looked good] but thankfully the defence has secured points where previously one would have expected otherwise. Two weeks off now to get Norris and Jackson fit and for Senior to re-charge. Wins like last evening give hope that we might just hang on to a top 7 place.......at last a feeling of progress. Tough games over the Christmas and New Year should give a clearer indication. Bury look a good bet for automatic promotion to me but the top 2 are strong.

UP the U's

Moor Pinot

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 12:42 - Dec 2 with 1638 viewsGOSBTS

Brighton fan in peace - my first U's game v Yeovil on 23:19 - Nov 27 by pwrightsknees

Welcome GOSBTS.

A piece of useless and uninteresting trivia for you. I went to my first U's match in April 1954, aged 7. It was a 1-1 draw with - guess who - Brighton and Hove Albion. I've had a soft spot for Brighton ever since and always have a glance at their scores.

I love that! I had similar feelings for Lincoln as they were the first game I saw Brighton play against - I was also aged 7. Obviously not anymore seeing as they are a promotion rival for the U's!

Me +5 of my in-laws are coming to the game against Macclesfield on Saturday in the South Stand right behind the goal. Can't wait - up the U's!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024