Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wot no Programme? 10:34 - May 1 with 940 viewsdurham_exile

Football supporters will, it would seem, be no longer able to purchase an official programme if the Annual meeting in June votes against them.

Personally this is potentially another disappointing reduction in match day entertainment.

I have hundreds of programmes going back over 50 years from matches that I have attended to watch Enfield, Chelsea and since 1972 (when I saw the light) Colchester United.

Such a diminution in standards is the beginning of the end for print media at some football grounds. Just imagine if Accrington Stanley supporters will be unable to purchase a programme when they play the black cats next season.

I do hope that supporters groups will be fully consulted before a decision is taken.

#programmes for ever

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wot no Programme? on 10:49 - May 1 with 934 viewsburnsieespana

What is behind this durham as had not seen anything?
Wot no Programme? on 13:07 - May 1 with 919 viewsLeadbelly

Wot no Programme? on 10:49 - May 1 by burnsieespana

What is behind this durham as had not seen anything?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43955431

Never having been a buyer of printed programmes or ever having opened the e-programme that arrives sporadically from the club I confess this is not something that concerns me greatly.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Wot no Programme? on 13:44 - May 1 with 911 viewsDaniel

I didn't even realise that it was a requirement for clubs to produce a programme, I just thought they done it for the income.

Football needs to move with the times. What used to be your typical programme content is now on the internet and clubs either repeat this content or fill their programmes with crap just to try and justify the price.

I don't buy them anymore, only 'big games', and I don't tend to read the electronic copy I get. However, if a printed programme was free at the game, paid for by advertising, I'd happily read one.

Perhaps football needs to learn from the model of the Metro and Evening Standard in London.
Wot no Programme? on 16:50 - May 1 with 901 viewsbwildered

Different covers and size every season could be easily dated, than the magazine now produced .
Use to remember the small Football League magazine inside the programme with Team Photos inside the back page . The U's featured wearing the old Chelsea strip .
Last few seasons editions might be full of information but lack that individual personality or style .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Wot no Programme? on 17:56 - May 1 with 890 viewsBFG

Surely the printing of a programme should be down to the individual club's decision, they are private businesses.
Wot no Programme? on 17:58 - May 1 with 887 viewsFruitbat

Apart from the last at Layer Road and first at WHCS, both of which I still have, ( and one in 1999 that I had an advert in) I don't think I've bought one for 20+ years. Nor do I read the "e" one that occasionally turns up in my inbox so I confess I won't miss them.
Wot no Programme? on 12:56 - May 2 with 850 viewsMoor_Pinot

Yes, Durham I have hundreds. I lament the potential passing of something so much a part of the culture for many.

BUT....I have long felt it inevitable. When I was in England more I went to lots of non league football where as is said elsewhere on this thread there is the requirement to produce a programme certainly down to step 7. Many of these [cheap] efforts were the worthy work of volunteers and were often well worth a read. Then I'd go to a league game and pay £3 and wonder 'was it truthfully worth so much more? Was it trying to be something else? A bookstand magazine maybe?

This made me think that the days of the big glossy programme may be over. The e-editions too maybe. But is there on the horizon a compromise? I understand that down at step 7 one club in the Carlsberg SW Peninsula league [a well supported league with charming grounds from which only recently Truro City have emerged.....and may.....errr be a league below us soon] now produces a glossy tri-fold brochure style full colour leaflet like programme. It has colour action pictures, the team sheet, adverts of course, a bit about the opposition and current club news. You can pop in your pocket, it's easy to refer to and indeed......you could keep and collect.

I wonder if this may catch on because it fits the legal league requirement and being cheaper may be both cost effective and maybe could be more profitable??
I shall keep my ear to the ground but well done Porthleven FC.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024