Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scott McGleish feature in the Grauniad 10:38 - May 8 with 2342 viewsFruitbat

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/08/scott-mcgleish-1000-games-chesh
Scott McGleish feature in the Grauniad on 15:11 - May 8 with 2320 viewsmfb_cufc

I like the sentence about us. "He played most games for Colchester, who let him leave on a free rather than risk handing a new deal to a player whose body could no longer be relied on." A bit ironic when we have given deals to a lot of cripples since then.

mfb

Scott McGleish feature in the Grauniad on 15:26 - May 8 with 2317 viewsnoah4x4

How many headed goals have we scored since his departure?

Apart from those few scored by centre backs from corners I am struggling to think of many others scored by forwards. Iwelumo got a few, but in recent times our principle strikers (Sears; Johnstone; Porter, Mandron etc) have scored few with their feet let alone with their heads.
Scott McGleish feature in the Grauniad on 18:37 - May 8 with 2298 viewsdurham_exile

Scott McGleish feature in the Grauniad on 15:26 - May 8 by noah4x4

How many headed goals have we scored since his departure?

Apart from those few scored by centre backs from corners I am struggling to think of many others scored by forwards. Iwelumo got a few, but in recent times our principle strikers (Sears; Johnstone; Porter, Mandron etc) have scored few with their feet let alone with their heads.

Arguably it all went Pete Tong after Mandron's 88th minute header against Coventry.

Durham_exile

Scott McGleish feature in the Grauniad on 19:42 - May 9 with 2245 viewsLeadbelly

Scott McGleish feature in the Grauniad on 15:11 - May 8 by mfb_cufc

I like the sentence about us. "He played most games for Colchester, who let him leave on a free rather than risk handing a new deal to a player whose body could no longer be relied on." A bit ironic when we have given deals to a lot of cripples since then.

Having a body that can no longer be relied upon seems to have become a prerequisite for being offered a contract over the past couple of seasons.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Scott McGleish feature in the Grauniad on 07:16 - May 10 with 2220 viewsnoah4x4

Scott Vernon released by Grimsby. Another U's legend on the scrap heap.
Scott McGleish feature in the Grauniad on 10:31 - May 10 with 2207 viewsMoor_Pinot

Yes, you could say that Durham but positively, Mandron's header at Swindon just before Christmas was a fine example of the centre forward's art; something we have truly missed for years.

Yes, Iwelumo did the trick and was a good athlete too but I do retain a soft spot for McGleish.
As Noah has highlighted he is only 5'9" yet his heading skills are/were astounding. Certainly the best header of a ball to goal I have seen in my 55 years with the U's. His neck muscles must be like those of an athletic bull. I recall a game at Yeovil [which must have been paint pot or something since we won on penalties]; a game we were losing through inconsisitent defending. Pressing in the last quarter we managed to draw level and one goal was a header from 15 yards by Scottie with the cross almost evading him, yet he arched and powered the ball past a motionless keeper. I was close enough to the action to hear 2 Yeovil defenders say well done to McGleish and compliment him on the goal. We got rid of him too soon............................a pattern eh; Vernon, Cureton, Bonne, Slater...... I'll shut up.

Bravo Scottie - keep it going!

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024