Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? 23:07 - May 8 with 8605 viewsKinsey

I know what I would have chosen then and what I’d still choose now.
£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:41 - May 9 with 2424 viewsE20Jack

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:38 - May 9 by theloneranger

No, we really replaced them at the start of the season with a Chelsea U21 player, and another youngster from Bayern Munich.

A gamble that failed miserably.

We spent around £65m on players this season, depending on which source you believe.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:41 - May 9 with 2415 viewsJoe_bradshaw

£50M in the right hands so that it was effectively spent would be Nice. I wouldn’t trust the current decision makers with £500M to spend. They’d find a way to waste it on dross.

A committed Gylfi and Llorente would be nice.

We had the worst of both. The players didn’t want to play for us so we had to take the money. Then we gave the money to the idiots in charge.

Lose, lose.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:41 - May 9 with 2421 viewsKingBony

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:38 - May 9 by E20Jack

He played a few, once it was agreed he could go in the window. He was not good though and their fans wanted him gone suggesting he was not giving his all. Which is natural when you are in that situation, same goes for Sanchez - he was terrible.

We both agree we did not replace adequately, but that is where the error was - not in selling them as we simply had to and will do all over again if we get the chance. See Mawson next season for example. West Ham 20m is my guess. Simply will have to be sold, we would need to balance the books and no matter what we think of Alfie, he will not be a happy player with International ambitions playing in the championship.

Just doesn’t seem worth all the fight and trouble to get here really does it? If the reality is we can’t keep hold of a half decent (that’s all he is at the moment) player worth £20m then I guess this is where the PL just rolls you up and spits you out.

Depressing really isn’t it.

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:44 - May 9 with 2411 viewsE20Jack

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:41 - May 9 by Joe_bradshaw

£50M in the right hands so that it was effectively spent would be Nice. I wouldn’t trust the current decision makers with £500M to spend. They’d find a way to waste it on dross.

A committed Gylfi and Llorente would be nice.

We had the worst of both. The players didn’t want to play for us so we had to take the money. Then we gave the money to the idiots in charge.

Lose, lose.

Agee and disagree. All transfers are gambles. The people who spent this money also spent the money to keep us in this league for nearly a decade, an unthinkable achievement for a side of our stature.

It could have worked, it didn’t unfortunately. A fresh change needed now though and new ideas.

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:47 - May 9 with 2401 viewsE20Jack

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:41 - May 9 by KingBony

Just doesn’t seem worth all the fight and trouble to get here really does it? If the reality is we can’t keep hold of a half decent (that’s all he is at the moment) player worth £20m then I guess this is where the PL just rolls you up and spits you out.

Depressing really isn’t it.

Well I think everyone outside the top 6/7 will tell you that. Says it all that if we stay up at Southampton’s expense this year then we would be the current longest serving PL team outside the top 7.

Relegation and regeneration is the PL game unfortunately. The fact we have defied this for so long is remarkable.

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:52 - May 9 with 2388 viewsTheResurrection

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:20 - May 9 by LeonWasGod

Ah, but that isn't the thing people are talking about on this thread. That came long after you and another singled them out as being useless and holding us back. THAT'S what this thread is about.

Absolutely the time was right for them to go at the end of the season. You can't force players to stay when they don't want to. But you guys were slagging them off at Christmas and saying we should have sold them in January. At least have the maturity to admit you were wrong. I know you won't, but that's what people are getting at here. It's just cheap and easy shots, as I said before, but justified in Res' case because of his abuse to anyone who dared to disagree.

There was a suggestion from me to pack them off in January to rebuild our squad for a tough run in, where we'd seen minimal points until then.

Are you that thick or do you need it ramming into that skull of yours?

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:57 - May 9 with 2369 viewsTheResurrection

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:21 - May 9 by KingBony

I’m sure it’s as black and white as you’ve described it. We didn’t even offer Llorente a new deal, didn’t even try then?

The spurs thing was clearly last minute, Chelsea didn’t come in for him.

Mahrez sulked, van dyke sulked, I’m sure Sanchez did too but they stayed (AND PLAYED) nonetheless. Players come around and realise they have to be playing and performing to stay in the shop window. I don’t blame Gylfi not getting on the plane for the pre-season - we’d given him the green light we were selling him!!

Appease the fans - tell them he didn’t want to play.

I don’t disagree with all you are saying but we didn’t have to sell. Even if we were struggling at least you knew these players would come up with the goods when the chips were down and create and score goals....that’s also a fact and I’m not crying.

Chelsea wanted him, Abramovic didn't you thick kunt. One of the reasons he's been so pissed off.

He was always going to look for one big pay off after his goals for us, which no one could have ever guaranteed him replicating again.

Ask one thing and one thing only, do the Spurs fans want him, even as back up, again???

Do. They. Fack.

Neither do Everton fans with One Trick kunt

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 01:12 - May 9 with 2348 viewsKinsey

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:57 - May 9 by TheResurrection

Chelsea wanted him, Abramovic didn't you thick kunt. One of the reasons he's been so pissed off.

He was always going to look for one big pay off after his goals for us, which no one could have ever guaranteed him replicating again.

Ask one thing and one thing only, do the Spurs fans want him, even as back up, again???

Do. They. Fack.

Neither do Everton fans with One Trick kunt

I wanted miley Cyrus. Didn’t mean she was any good. Thick facking prick
[Post edited 9 May 2018 1:12]
Login to get fewer ads

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 01:14 - May 9 with 2340 viewsE20Jack

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 01:12 - May 9 by Kinsey

I wanted miley Cyrus. Didn’t mean she was any good. Thick facking prick
[Post edited 9 May 2018 1:12]

That’s just weird.

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 01:15 - May 9 with 2339 viewsKinsey

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 01:14 - May 9 by E20Jack

That’s just weird.

Hahahhahahahahha
£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 01:37 - May 9 with 2331 viewsbuilthjack

If these 2 were in our team this season we would not be relegated.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 01:42 - May 9 with 2325 viewsKinsey

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 01:37 - May 9 by builthjack

Of course not. But huw Jenkins and the yanks wouldn’t have all that money lol

Honestly disheartening
£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 03:12 - May 9 with 2295 viewsE20Jack

They have done precious little since leaving and we were woeful with them in the side last year only getting over the line due to another management change. So reality suggests otherwise, but you are entitled to your opinion.

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 06:03 - May 9 with 2279 viewsAnotherJohn

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:44 - May 9 by E20Jack

Agee and disagree. All transfers are gambles. The people who spent this money also spent the money to keep us in this league for nearly a decade, an unthinkable achievement for a side of our stature.

It could have worked, it didn’t unfortunately. A fresh change needed now though and new ideas.

It is the gamble implicit in any major sale and replacement for a club of our size that I don't think you ever factored in. Many of us said that your approach would lead to relegation, but you begged to differ. Even PS punditry is a results-based business. No amount of wriggling on the hook and talking about 'no brainers' can nullify the fact that you and your mate got things badly wrong. If you think the Gylfi and Llorente fees were big money then look at the money we are about to lose.
£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 06:10 - May 9 with 2270 viewsE20Jack

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 06:03 - May 9 by AnotherJohn

It is the gamble implicit in any major sale and replacement for a club of our size that I don't think you ever factored in. Many of us said that your approach would lead to relegation, but you begged to differ. Even PS punditry is a results-based business. No amount of wriggling on the hook and talking about 'no brainers' can nullify the fact that you and your mate got things badly wrong. If you think the Gylfi and Llorente fees were big money then look at the money we are about to lose.

I did not beg to differ at all. Everything will eventually lead to relegation unless you have an income to justify your position. The variance is how long you can stay there. “My” approach has kept us there for an extraordinary amount of time, the constant recycling of money has seen us become one of the longest current serving PL clubs outside the European places and won a major trophy along the way.

One thing is for sure, letting all your players run their contacts down leaving nothing to replace them with will lead not just to inevitable initial relegation, but multiple relegations. Simple as that.

I don’t believe for a second that keeping them would have avoided relegation, they were part of the rudderless side last season that looked certain for the bottom of the league before Clement turned us around. One does not equate to the other. Selling and regenerating gave us the chance of further longevity - keeping them until they leave gave us zero chance of longevity at this level. Zilch. Nothing. Nadda. The sooner people grasp this the better.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 6:13]

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 06:18 - May 9 with 2263 viewsAnotherJohn

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 06:10 - May 9 by E20Jack

I did not beg to differ at all. Everything will eventually lead to relegation unless you have an income to justify your position. The variance is how long you can stay there. “My” approach has kept us there for an extraordinary amount of time, the constant recycling of money has seen us become one of the longest current serving PL clubs outside the European places and won a major trophy along the way.

One thing is for sure, letting all your players run their contacts down leaving nothing to replace them with will lead not just to inevitable initial relegation, but multiple relegations. Simple as that.

I don’t believe for a second that keeping them would have avoided relegation, they were part of the rudderless side last season that looked certain for the bottom of the league before Clement turned us around. One does not equate to the other. Selling and regenerating gave us the chance of further longevity - keeping them until they leave gave us zero chance of longevity at this level. Zilch. Nothing. Nadda. The sooner people grasp this the better.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 6:13]

You are obviously not a Popperian. There was no outcome that would have led you to admit that your position had been shown to be mistaken. There is still that faint chance of survival, but if we go down the next index we can use to assess the validity of your approach will be financial stability - I fear that we are going to be in a very bad situation.
£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 06:21 - May 9 with 2257 viewsE20Jack

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 06:18 - May 9 by AnotherJohn

You are obviously not a Popperian. There was no outcome that would have led you to admit that your position had been shown to be mistaken. There is still that faint chance of survival, but if we go down the next index we can use to assess the validity of your approach will be financial stability - I fear that we are going to be in a very bad situation.

Of course there isn’t. The weight of evidence is too stacked in my favour. We as a club have adopted “my” approach since we entered the Premier League. We have as a result managed to buck the trend, defy the odds and wildly out perform a club of our stature. You think that approach was now wrong because we face likely relegation 7 (yes SEVEN) years later??!

Bizarre.

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 06:46 - May 9 with 2225 viewsJango

We only just survived with them in the team last year. We also had Leon Britton coming back in for the last 5 games, without him we probably would have gone down so this love in for siggy and Llorente needs to stop. They both demanded out and have both been abysmal this year for their clubs. Spending over £60m on players who have contributed next to nothing has been the problem, not selling 2 players who wanted to go.
£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 07:08 - May 9 with 2209 viewsE20Jack

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 06:46 - May 9 by Jango

We only just survived with them in the team last year. We also had Leon Britton coming back in for the last 5 games, without him we probably would have gone down so this love in for siggy and Llorente needs to stop. They both demanded out and have both been abysmal this year for their clubs. Spending over £60m on players who have contributed next to nothing has been the problem, not selling 2 players who wanted to go.

Nutshell.

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 07:34 - May 9 with 2198 viewsMrSwerve

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 23:49 - May 8 by E20Jack

£50m no brainer.

I would have spent it better, but that is not the question is it.

I think it was fairly obvious that the f*ckwits in charge of recruitment were going to waste every penny of that 50m.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 07:47 - May 9 with 2184 viewsSTID2017

I agree 100% that we shouldn't have sold them, and having sold them, our failure to replace adequately, together with the lack of a good manager this season, may cost us dearly.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 07:55 - May 9 with 2176 viewsE20Jack

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 07:34 - May 9 by MrSwerve

I think it was fairly obvious that the f*ckwits in charge of recruitment were going to waste every penny of that 50m.

Well they have kept us up by doing just that for seven years, so to ditch a clearly successful and common sense model for no reason what so ever would have been foolish. They had to be given a chance to regenerate a stagnant side heading only one way. Looks like they have failed to do that on this occasion - however the fact they gave themselves the chance to was the key - and that is why it is and always will be the correct decision.

This is why we as a club, and other clubs outside the elite will continue to do this. Our record is of complete and utter success in the model, not the opposite. What we have achieved without external investment and instead constant redistribution of funds is remarkable. It is the only way.

[Post edited 9 May 2018 7:57]

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 10:16 - May 9 with 2114 viewsLegend83

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 07:55 - May 9 by E20Jack

Well they have kept us up by doing just that for seven years, so to ditch a clearly successful and common sense model for no reason what so ever would have been foolish. They had to be given a chance to regenerate a stagnant side heading only one way. Looks like they have failed to do that on this occasion - however the fact they gave themselves the chance to was the key - and that is why it is and always will be the correct decision.

This is why we as a club, and other clubs outside the elite will continue to do this. Our record is of complete and utter success in the model, not the opposite. What we have achieved without external investment and instead constant redistribution of funds is remarkable. It is the only way.

[Post edited 9 May 2018 7:57]

The early successes were off the back of Rodgers / Laudrup quality contacts. Since HJ became the all-powerful Oz and decided to play Football Manager for real the squad has been in decline year-on-year, and here we are.

Sanctioning quality acquisitions is very different to actively acquiring dross.
£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 11:12 - May 9 with 2086 viewsE20Jack

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 10:16 - May 9 by Legend83

The early successes were off the back of Rodgers / Laudrup quality contacts. Since HJ became the all-powerful Oz and decided to play Football Manager for real the squad has been in decline year-on-year, and here we are.

Sanctioning quality acquisitions is very different to actively acquiring dross.

Again you are another confusing get purchasing with selling. The reason we can buy every season... is because we sell. Whether it is Jenkins, Rodgers, Laudrup, Tutumlu, Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee - doesn’t matter. The fact is, as a club we have always had to sell in order to buy while in the PL and our successes have come off the back of that philosophy. After the Pratley scenario we learned from those errors and said we would never allow that to happen again. This won’t change, nor should it.

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 11:19 - May 9 with 2070 viewsBobby_Fischer

£50m or Gylfi and Llorente? on 00:52 - May 9 by TheResurrection

There was a suggestion from me to pack them off in January to rebuild our squad for a tough run in, where we'd seen minimal points until then.

Are you that thick or do you need it ramming into that skull of yours?

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024