Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else struggling to understand our goalkeeping situation? 14:24 - Aug 2 with 1028 viewsRSCOSWORTH

When it became apparant that Walker wouldn't be here this season I was happy to go into the season with Barnes and Gilmartin as our two goalkeepers. I'm not convinced by Barnes yet but Gilmartin is more than capable enough to play at this level and we don't need to pay an extra goalkeeping coach so that's a wage saved. For some reason though we've signed two more goalkeepers, neither of which are our number one. In fact we paid money for one and he hasn't even got a squad number. Do we really need four goalkeepers? Is it a luxury that we can't afford?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Anyone else struggling to understand our goalkeeping situation? on 14:43 - Aug 2 with 1016 viewsFruitbat

I think the keeper set up/pecking order is:

We rate Barnes, he's no.1 until further notice.

Gilmartin is adequate first team cover in the event of injury/suspension. He's no.2 and coach to the others.

Vose is lined up as Barnes ultimate replacement when we sell for £1M. He's getting toughened up with a season in senior football at Maldon. No.3.

Ross will play for the U23s and cover the bench if necessary. He's no.4.
Anyone else struggling to understand our goalkeeping situation? on 15:08 - Aug 2 with 1012 viewsdurham_exile

Anyone else struggling to understand our goalkeeping situation? on 14:43 - Aug 2 by Fruitbat

Gilmartin is adequate first team cover in the event of injury/suspension. He's no.2 and coach to the others.

Vose is lined up as Barnes ultimate replacement when we sell for £1M. He's getting toughened up with a season in senior football at Maldon. No.3.

Fruitbat - I think that sums up the situation very nicely.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Anyone else struggling to understand our goalkeeping situation? on 15:24 - Aug 2 with 1008 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Anyone else struggling to understand our goalkeeping situation? on 14:43 - Aug 2 by Fruitbat

Do we really need four goalkeepers though? Been a while since we sold one. I think Vose has already played at a higher level than Maldon & Tiptree so not sure it'll be that benficial in terms of his development. Have we got a youth team goalkeeper too?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Anyone else struggling to understand our goalkeeping situation? on 19:40 - Aug 2 with 981 viewswessex_exile

Anyone else struggling to understand our goalkeeping situation? on 15:24 - Aug 2 by RSCOSWORTH

Do we really need four goalkeepers though? Been a while since we sold one. I think Vose has already played at a higher level than Maldon & Tiptree so not sure it'll be that benficial in terms of his development. Have we got a youth team goalkeeper too?

Four - maybe, maybe not, but definitely three if you accept the U23s have to have one, and the first team have to have two, and also accept the argument that if the U23 'keeper is playing each match for the U23s, it's a bit of stretch to expect him to be available on the bench for every first team game as well?

As Vose is on loan anyway, and Gilmartin covers two jobs for one wage, it could be considered fairly shrewd business overall?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Anyone else struggling to understand our goalkeeping situation? on 22:26 - Aug 2 with 956 viewsmfb_cufc

I agree with RSCOSWORTH. We have got one more goalkeeper than we need. All a club at our level needs is a first choice, a bench warmer and a U23 goalkeeper. I find it strange we don't give Vose a squad number, after paying a fee and giving him a two-year contract. I am sure either Vose or Ross will be sent out on loan to pay towards their wages, with a recall on the off chance one our keepers get injured.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024