Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's 22:28 - Aug 20 with 2303 viewsdurham_exile

After the elation of the deserved 95th minute equaliser at the One Call stadium on Saturday, JM and his charges can look forward to a home double header against the Railwaymen on Tuesday evening and the Cobblers on Saturday afternoon.

I and many U’s fans will still be buzzing at the way the match concluded. Late goals to salvage a point or better do not come along very often for the U’s.

Mika Mandron scored an 88th minute winner against Coventry last season at home and I saw Elliot Lee score a 94th minute equaliser at Rotherham in a 2-2 draw in November 2013 from just underneath the bar and I saw Chris Porter score an 87th minute penalty to win the match 3-2 at Fleetwood in April 2015, when we looked down and out. Most famously of course in front of 14,030 in January 1977, I saw Colin Garwood score a 99th minute equaliser against Derby in the fourth round of the F A Cup at the Layer Road end. Cue magical celebrations in every case.

Other fans will have their own favourite very late goal memories I am sure.

As I said late goals are a rare phenomenon for the U’s, which makes it all the more special when it happens. Never good for the heartrate of course, but very special to recall. Sammie Szmodics had put a shift in and deserved his goal and the team their point at Mansfield.

So, the Railwaymen come to the JobServe stadium on Tuesday managed by Dave Artell and they started the season like an express train with a 6-0 hammering of The Shrimps. Since then they hit the buffers with a defeat against the Exiles and then got back on track with an impressive draw against the Franchise.

Crewe have Captain George Ray still touch and go for Tuesday after his opening day injury. Chris Porter came off the bench at the weekend and would love to play against his old club. They have experience aplenty with Eddie Nolan, Nicky Hunt, Paul Green and Alex Nicholls. This is not a pushover game.

JM must also decide on whether to start with the same XI again or make a subtle change. I think it was a mistake to bench Tom Eastman and JM should revert to a 3,4,3 formation something along these lines:

Barnes

Eastman Prosser Kent

Jackson Lapslie Pell Vincent-Young

Szmodics Mandron Dickenson

Subs:

Ross Senior Barnes (A) Comley Collins Norris Nouble

Reasoning — Eastman is such an influential player as was proven on Saturday. Last season the defence was at its meanest when the back three were selected.
Lapslie and Pell are now a tremendous midfield partnership and Jackson and Vincent-Young can get forward at every opportunity. Equally they have pace aplenty and can track back when required.

Szmodics must play and Dickenson equally, especially in the advanced left-wing role. That leaves the choice of striker which could be anyone from Norris, Nouble or Mandron. Aaron Collins also impressed at Meadow Lane. So, JM has a quandary, but he must be decisive and give the strikers their best chance to impress.

Our strikers have not performed for some years now. We have the players to score 15+ goals each this season and perhaps one might reach the magic 20 figure. Convert those chances and let’s give the Railwaymen that “Up the Junction” feeling.

Courtney Senior didn’t receive any service on Saturday, he also has plenty to learn, but he is a talent. I still want to see Harry Pell given licence to strike the ball from 25 yards, he has goals in him.

Weather in Colchester is forecast to be a warm, cloudy night, about 21 degrees by kick off. Perhaps 3,500 with the faithful in good voice and all hoping for a home victory. I would be delighted with a 4-0 scoreline, with a brace for Mandron and Dickenson to weigh in with a goal to support a Pell screamer.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 23:52 - Aug 20 with 1213 viewswessex_exile

Some cracking late goal memories there Durham, particularly for me being in the Layer Rd as Garwood rifled in his equaliser. Not quite last minute, but I enjoyed not just 1, nor 2, but 3 goals for the Mighty U’s in the last five minutes to win 3-0 at Hillsborough, in front of over 24k :-)

Incidentally, if you subscribe to iFollow for the commentary, tomorrow is one of only a few games this season that you can buy a £10 match pass for, and actually watch it online live. Don’t ask me how it works, nor how good it’s likely to be, but I’m going to give it a go tomorrow night.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 10:59 - Aug 21 with 1176 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 23:52 - Aug 20 by wessex_exile

Some cracking late goal memories there Durham, particularly for me being in the Layer Rd as Garwood rifled in his equaliser. Not quite last minute, but I enjoyed not just 1, nor 2, but 3 goals for the Mighty U’s in the last five minutes to win 3-0 at Hillsborough, in front of over 24k :-)

Incidentally, if you subscribe to iFollow for the commentary, tomorrow is one of only a few games this season that you can buy a £10 match pass for, and actually watch it online live. Don’t ask me how it works, nor how good it’s likely to be, but I’m going to give it a go tomorrow night.

Wessex I too went to Hillsborough for that 3-0 match. Parking was manic and I missed the first five minutes. Incidentally I passed the stadium bookie who were offering 350/1 for Col U to win 3-0.

As always I didn't put any money on!

Hope you enjoy the live game on Ifollow tonight.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 11:03 - Aug 21 with 1174 viewsLeadbelly

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 10:59 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Wessex I too went to Hillsborough for that 3-0 match. Parking was manic and I missed the first five minutes. Incidentally I passed the stadium bookie who were offering 350/1 for Col U to win 3-0.

As always I didn't put any money on!

Hope you enjoy the live game on Ifollow tonight.

Up the U's

I was there too and remember dodging the stones thrown at us by Wendy yobbos on our way back to the car. Happy days!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 11:29 - Aug 21 with 1170 viewsFruitbat

I was one of those 14030 when Garwood scored so late it was nearly Sunday morning.

My lasting memory of playing Crewe was Tony Adcock scoring a brace of virtually identical goals, bending them into the top corner from the edge of the box one in either side. We were selling tickets for the Man U league cup game that afternoon and were 2-0 up whilst Old Man Fruitbat was still in the ticket queue!
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 13:09 - Aug 21 with 1154 viewsthrillseeker

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 23:52 - Aug 20 by wessex_exile

Wessex - Hillsborough was an extraordinary final 10 minutes. So was surviving on the tram back to the Sheffield station. A few cuts and bruises on both sides!

ifollow - this is a terrible idea and I fear the end of football as we know it. Fans will soon not visit grounds at £20-25 a pop plus expenses and just stay in for £10. I know this is making use of modern day technology but it will be to the detriment of football clubs

Why would any Crewe away fan bother taking an afternoon off work, spending lots and getting home after midnight to attend tonight when they can stay at home for £10.

If Crewe had any sense they would open up a function room and charge fans £2 entry fee to watch ifollow and in the knowledge they will also get bar receipts

I would miss my matchday routine but others may not and begin to rely on ifollow instead of attending.

The attendance tonight is going to be low (2500ish) due to midweek, holiday period, worries over how to get to and from ground etc without the need for another distraction to reduce attendances

Rant over

Durham - nice preview as always
Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 13:43 - Aug 21 with 1144 viewsMoor_Pinot

Lovely stuff Durham, brilliant; makes waiting for tonight bearable.

There was another nice afternoon at Wednesday was Joe Keith's late free kick into the top corner right in front of me a few years ago. Happy days.
As for Crewe.....we find them difficult like Cambridge and Cheltenham, Carlisle too; maybe it's teams beginning with a 'C?'

Let's surprise the 2250 tonight with a nice comfortable three points!

Moor Pinot

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 14:29 - Aug 21 with 1135 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 13:43 - Aug 21 by Moor_Pinot

Lovely stuff Durham, brilliant; makes waiting for tonight bearable.

There was another nice afternoon at Wednesday was Joe Keith's late free kick into the top corner right in front of me a few years ago. Happy days.
As for Crewe.....we find them difficult like Cambridge and Cheltenham, Carlisle too; maybe it's teams beginning with a 'C?'

Let's surprise the 2250 tonight with a nice comfortable three points!

Pinault -Joe Keith certainly knew how to take a free kick.

The memories are coming back, Mick Packer's free kick to win the match at Gillingham years ago.

I agree three points tonight would go down a treat.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 17:50 - Aug 21 with 1118 viewswessex_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 13:09 - Aug 21 by thrillseeker

Wessex - Hillsborough was an extraordinary final 10 minutes. So was surviving on the tram back to the Sheffield station. A few cuts and bruises on both sides!

ifollow - this is a terrible idea and I fear the end of football as we know it. Fans will soon not visit grounds at £20-25 a pop plus expenses and just stay in for £10. I know this is making use of modern day technology but it will be to the detriment of football clubs

Why would any Crewe away fan bother taking an afternoon off work, spending lots and getting home after midnight to attend tonight when they can stay at home for £10.

If Crewe had any sense they would open up a function room and charge fans £2 entry fee to watch ifollow and in the knowledge they will also get bar receipts

I would miss my matchday routine but others may not and begin to rely on ifollow instead of attending.

The attendance tonight is going to be low (2500ish) due to midweek, holiday period, worries over how to get to and from ground etc without the need for another distraction to reduce attendances

Rant over

Durham - nice preview as always

Hillsborough - I heard that some had got some grief after the game, but me and a couple of friends (all in U's shirts) walked back to the Hillsborough Hotel, and stayed for quite a few pints (along with other U's fans) without even a sniff of trouble - looks like we got lucky?

I completely get what you're saying TS. Needless to say iFollow have to conform to the same rules as $ky, so it won't be available in the UK for any of our Saturday games etc. Interestingly, I first got wind of this as it was being promoted by Crewe themselves, so I guess they're not too bothered about trying to persuade fans to stay at home and pay per view, rather than travelling to support?

Obviously, from my exiled perspective (and after two expensive trips to Notts County and Mansfield), I can't wait to be able to watch tonight from the comfort of my own home with beer in hand.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 18:49 - Aug 21 with 1106 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI tonight unchanged from Saturday:

Barnes

Jackson Prosser Kent Vincent-Young

Senior Lapslie Pell Dickenson

Szmodics Nouble

Subs: Ross Eastman Comley Wright Collins Norris Mandron

More like 4,4,2 this evening but hopefully Senior and Dickenson will be allowed the freedom of the Crewe half.

Definitely feel sorry for Tom Eastman and Mika Mandron

Great evening for football, enjoy the game

Up the U's
[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 18:52]

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 19:48 - Aug 21 with 1085 viewsdurham_exile

FRANKIE KENT 1-0

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 19:55 - Aug 21 with 1082 viewsdurham_exile

Brennan Dickenson 2-0

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 19:56 - Aug 21 with 1080 viewsgerry_us

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 19:55 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Brennan Dickenson 2-0

Come on the U's

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 19:58 - Aug 21 with 1079 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 19:56 - Aug 21 by gerry_us

Great stuff Gerry

Wessex will be enjoying it on Ifollow

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:05 - Aug 21 with 1077 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 19:58 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Great stuff Gerry

Wessex will be enjoying it on Ifollow

Up the U's

Chance for Porter but he cant beat Barnes

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:11 - Aug 21 with 1072 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:05 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Chance for Porter but he cant beat Barnes

DICKENSON 3-0

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:13 - Aug 21 with 1071 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:11 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

DICKENSON 3-0

What a difference it makes when Dickenson is unleashed in the final third

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:15 - Aug 21 with 1066 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:13 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

What a difference it makes when Dickenson is unleashed in the final third

Up the U's

Another very impressive long throw from Jackson, which Crewe couldn't deal with

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:45 - Aug 21 with 1053 viewswessex_exile

Utterly brilliant first half from the U’s. Some of the best football I’ve seen them play in recent times!

Come on the U’s!!!

Up the U's

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:51 - Aug 21 with 1050 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:15 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Another very impressive long throw from Jackson, which Crewe couldn't deal with

Attendance tonight 2,842

153 from Crewe

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:54 - Aug 21 with 1046 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:51 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Attendance tonight 2,842

153 from Crewe

Up the U's

Having derailed Crewe we do not want to let them back onto the main line.

Push for a fourth at least

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:59 - Aug 21 with 1043 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:54 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Having derailed Crewe we do not want to let them back onto the main line.

Push for a fourth at least

Up the U's

Nolan clears off the line from Szmodics

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:01 - Aug 21 with 1040 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 20:59 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Nolan clears off the line from Szmodics

RYAN JACKSON 4-0

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:06 - Aug 21 with 1037 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:01 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

RYAN JACKSON 4-0

OUTSTANDING PLAY FROM THE SUPER U'S

Come on

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:08 - Aug 21 with 1036 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:06 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

OUTSTANDING PLAY FROM THE SUPER U'S

Come on

Norris on for Nouble

Durham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:15 - Aug 21 with 1032 viewsdurham_exile

Railwaymen to be left in the sidings by HS2 Super U's on 21:08 - Aug 21 by durham_exile

Norris on for Nouble

Collins on for Szmodics

Please could Mandron get some valuable minutes as well

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024