Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton - Checkatrade Cup 11:53 - Sep 4 with 1341 viewsnoah4x4

Park & Ride NOT open tonight.
No shuttle buses.
Number 65 or 2 bus merely every 30 minutes.
A huge distance to walk to any bus stop.
General fan apathy towards competition....
But I have a ticket.

Crowd tonight....My guess 399.

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 12:42 - Sep 4 with 1332 viewsdurham_exile

As Noah has kindly started a thread, my preview as follows:

Its official - participation in the Checkatrade Trophy means that the Super U’s are only 7 games from Wembley. Now of course in previous years, this competition, in whatever Sponsors name it has operated under, has not mattered much to the U’s.

Apart from 1997 that is when we played and lost 1-0 in the Final of the Auto Windscreens Shield (I still have my scarf) against Carlisle.

So is 2019 the year when we once again play at Wembley. Could it be the play off final or the Checkatrade? Who knows, some might say who cares?

I would like automatic promotion and a place at Wembley (simply because I have yet to go to the New Wembley). Still we can’t have everything we wish for.

So tonight, we play Southampton U21 to be followed by future matches against Southend and Cambridge. The top two go through to the knock out stages. The Saints, managed by Radhi Jaidi, will be looking to impress against their league two opponents and this will be a tough game. JM knows that he must play at least 4 out of 10 outfield players who lined up in their last game. So, this is an opportunity to give fringe players some game time.

Brandon Comley is on international duty and unfortunately with injuries to Dickenson and Lapslie long term and Norris, hopefully only short term, JM can play Ethan Ross in goal and then make wholesale changes amongst the outfield players. Allowing key players to be rested ahead of Prenton Park on Saturday.

Suggest:

Ross

Jackson Kent Clampin Vincent-Young

Senior Pell Wright Gondoh

Collins Mandron

Subs:

Barnes, Aaron Barnes, Rooney, Eastman, Prosser, Szmodics, Nouble

Weather tonight will be cloudy with a high of 13 degrees Celsius so cooler than of late, but
the pitch will be pristine, and it should be an intriguing game.

Will the crowd manage 850, we wait and see?

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 14:17 - Sep 4 with 1309 viewsnoah4x4

Was not an attempt to gazump you Durham buddy, just warning folk that the Park & Ride is closed (as confirmed on the U's website). It was supposed to be staying open later than normal for evening matches at the stadium, but that commitment from Essex County Council has lasted a single evening game.

There are a number of new bus stops on the Chesterwell Estate and Stadium Way, but as yet no bus services. Let's hope the services planned for these will eventually embrace the stadium.

850 fans Durham? You always were an optimist. I heard rumour yesterday that less that 100 tickets had been sold in advance. Public transport to the stadium is evidently an issue, especially for those that like a match day pint and therefore can't drive. .
Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 16:59 - Sep 4 with 1291 viewsdurham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 14:17 - Sep 4 by noah4x4

Was not an attempt to gazump you Durham buddy, just warning folk that the Park & Ride is closed (as confirmed on the U's website). It was supposed to be staying open later than normal for evening matches at the stadium, but that commitment from Essex County Council has lasted a single evening game.

There are a number of new bus stops on the Chesterwell Estate and Stadium Way, but as yet no bus services. Let's hope the services planned for these will eventually embrace the stadium.

850 fans Durham? You always were an optimist. I heard rumour yesterday that less that 100 tickets had been sold in advance. Public transport to the stadium is evidently an issue, especially for those that like a match day pint and therefore can't drive. .

Noah - sorry to hear about ongoing public transport issues with the stadium.
Clearly it influences numbers which is a shame because I would imagine the official car park will be no more than quarter full tonight.

Your point about alcohol is well made.

Enjoy the game. Can we win a Cup tie?

Hope so.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 19:10 - Sep 4 with 1272 viewsdurham_exile

Team tonight:

Barnes
Vincent-Young Eastman Rooney A Barnes
Senior Wright Szmodics Dickenson
Collins Mandron

Subs:
Ross Clampin Prosser Pell Gondoh Norris Nouble

I am surprised that Brennan Dickenson is playing after suffering a back problem.

Likewise Szmodics who I would have rested for Tranmere.

Norris on bench but also carrying an injury.

Good to see Rooney and Aaron Barnes getting debuts.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 20:32 - Sep 4 with 1247 viewsdurham_exile

2 additional minutes before HT 0-1 sadly.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 20:54 - Sep 4 with 1237 viewsdurham_exile

Ryan Gondoh replaces Sammie Szmodics at HT

Still 0-1

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 20:59 - Sep 4 with 1233 viewsdurham_exile

Attendance 532

Still 0-1

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 21:09 - Sep 4 with 1228 viewsdurham_exile

Clampin on for Dickenson

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 21:24 - Sep 4 with 1216 viewsdurham_exile

Nouble on for Collins

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 21:40 - Sep 4 with 1207 viewsdurham_exile

FT 0-2

Looks like another year of Checkatrade mediocrity.

FA Cup and the league it is then.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 21:41 - Sep 4 with 1205 viewswessex_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 21:24 - Sep 4 by durham_exile

Nouble on for Collins

Up the U's

Southampton snatch a last-minute break-away second to win 2-0. Much better performance from the U's 2nd half, but as results go it's nothing I'm going to lose any sleep over.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 21:56 - Sep 4 with 1194 viewsnoah4x4

Just got back, wet, fed up.
No buses
No passion
No goals
Just awful. Back to normal.
Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 22:52 - Sep 4 with 1177 viewsoxfcolu

My biggest fear this season, how strong are we in depth. Coach admitted tonight take away the experience and nobody shined. They had their chance and failed to ca pitilise.
Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 23:44 - Sep 4 with 1164 viewsmfb_cufc

Our recent record in this competition is so poor, I am sure we deliberately get knocked out.

mfb

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 07:52 - Sep 5 with 1118 viewsdurham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 23:44 - Sep 4 by mfb_cufc

Our recent record in this competition is so poor, I am sure we deliberately get knocked out.

With so many changes, in fact the maximum that could have been made to start, not a surprise with the result. JM has however criticised his players last night for not putting in a performance.

We either give it a go against Southend and Cambridge or accept another early exit.

Hopefully the result will be set aside in favour of a positive performance and result at Prenton Park on Saturday.

In other news Tranmere lost 4-3 to Crewe last night in the same competition.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 08:34 - Sep 5 with 1113 viewswessex_exile

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 07:52 - Sep 5 by durham_exile

With so many changes, in fact the maximum that could have been made to start, not a surprise with the result. JM has however criticised his players last night for not putting in a performance.

We either give it a go against Southend and Cambridge or accept another early exit.

Hopefully the result will be set aside in favour of a positive performance and result at Prenton Park on Saturday.

In other news Tranmere lost 4-3 to Crewe last night in the same competition.

Up the U's

Taking a positive from last night, it was good to see Dickenson back so soon. Dillon had a good game too, given there was little he could do about either goal.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 13:38 - Sep 5 with 1084 viewsnoah4x4

Southampton - Checkatrade Cup on 08:34 - Sep 5 by wessex_exile

Taking a positive from last night, it was good to see Dickenson back so soon. Dillon had a good game too, given there was little he could do about either goal.

A decent shot-stopper maybe Wessex, but his kicking is worse that Walkers (which could be appalling) and when he throws the ball I wince as the day will surely come when it is intercepted. Opposition team's are wise to the fact that we play out from the back and I think we are overdoing it. If closed down too quickly, kick it long rather than take risks. Our young defenders unnecessarily lost possession on a number of occasions, whilst our young attackers ran up blind alleys and lost possession with us overly committed in mid-field.

One can also see why Liverpool has a throw-in coach. Last night many of our throw-ins were diabolical and time and again we lost possession. We seem to have a rule, only wing-backs are allowed to take them and woe behide anybody else that takes a quick one. Once Szmodics departed, some of the 'me to you' throw in routines to keep possession looked comical.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024