Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans 21:52 - Sep 26 with 15018 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 08:44 - Sep 28 with 1241 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 08:12 - Sep 28 by JACKMANANDBOY

Well of course shareholders appoint Directors in organisations with shares, Levien and Kaplan may be majority shareholders.
I'm not sure why you are suggesting that I am indicating that the other 25 shareholders are being flown around the world, I've not said that any time. You seem to be confusing me with someone else.
All I said was that you don't need a defined role in a business to be paid by that business in response to a poster who indicated that was case the case.
The interesting relationship is between the parent company in the states and the club.

The parent Company in the States owns around 70% of the main UK SCFC Company (2002)

The Trust owns 21% in SCFC 2002 as well.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

With what we've seen sincea June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 08:50 - Sep 28 with 1237 views_

With what we've seen sincea June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 08:22 - Sep 28 by dobjack2

I would suggest the following:

It an almost unanimous opinion that relegation meant costs had to be significantly cut.

A majority believe that the cuts to the playing staff have been too deep.

The overwhelming majority support the manager and players and believe Potter is doing a good job with the players he has available.

The majority do not support the board.

A majority believe that the chairman and any other top salaried people at the club should be taking a cut in wages to show that everyone is affected by relegation and that the management of the club and the playing staff are all in it together. The majority believe that won’t happen.

The majority of people on here do not trust the board and of those that answered the poll an overwhelming majority think that the majority owners are looking to extract money from the club one way or another although there is no evidence that this is happening.

I'd say that's a pretty accurate summary of the last two years worth of Planet Swans opinions and feelings, yes.

The Americans should look at that summary and start working on improving the balances

I feel they have began to do that with the last 3 to 4 months but there's a lot more to do.

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 08:56 - Sep 28 with 1236 viewsjack247

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 06:52 - Sep 28 by Cooperman

“They won’t get their money back if they sell it when it’s value is lower. A bit like Sam Clucas and Roque Mesa”

Absolutely. This is my point. They are very unlikely to sell now as a serious write off of investment will occur. The primary way by which they can avoid this is by restoring Premier League status.

You have misunderstood the context of that point. They did sell Sam Clucas and Roque Mesa. They wrote them off as bad investments and got what they could for them.

Of course the best way they can restore value is by getting us back to the PL. If it was that simple, every club would be doing it. Do you honestly think the game plan is to hang around until we repeat the miracle on our own resources?

It’s as if people don’t realise some investments don’t work and investors still cash out at a loss.
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 09:39 - Sep 28 with 1204 views34dfgdf54

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 08:56 - Sep 28 by jack247

You have misunderstood the context of that point. They did sell Sam Clucas and Roque Mesa. They wrote them off as bad investments and got what they could for them.

Of course the best way they can restore value is by getting us back to the PL. If it was that simple, every club would be doing it. Do you honestly think the game plan is to hang around until we repeat the miracle on our own resources?

It’s as if people don’t realise some investments don’t work and investors still cash out at a loss.

Agree with this.

They are clearing the decks waiting for a buy out offer in my opinion. This will be confirmed for me if VDH and Fer are not offered deals and more players leave in January (not including Bony), I understand the need to get him off the books.
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 09:42 - Sep 28 with 1200 viewsCooperman

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 08:56 - Sep 28 by jack247

I’m not sure that writing them off as bad investments is the correct term. It’s more a case of them having to address the balance sheet as a matter of urgency and these two players happening to be of interest to other clubs. It just so happens that they weren’t very good in a Swans shirt. On the flip side had they been average or even good in a Swans shirt then they would still have been sold.

Can they cash out at a loss and will they cash out at a loss are two entirely different scenarios. None of us know the future direction. However I’m firmly in the camp of their viewpoint being that of a long term recovery plan.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 09:54 - Sep 28 with 1188 viewsjack247

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 09:42 - Sep 28 by Cooperman

I’m not sure that writing them off as bad investments is the correct term. It’s more a case of them having to address the balance sheet as a matter of urgency and these two players happening to be of interest to other clubs. It just so happens that they weren’t very good in a Swans shirt. On the flip side had they been average or even good in a Swans shirt then they would still have been sold.

Can they cash out at a loss and will they cash out at a loss are two entirely different scenarios. None of us know the future direction. However I’m firmly in the camp of their viewpoint being that of a long term recovery plan.

Your second paragraph is fair, albeit a softened stance from yesterday. Yes, the truth is none of us know what the plan is, we’re all speculating.

I do think it’s naive to assume they won’t sell until they get at least their £68m back. What happens in the very plausible scenario that we stabilise as a Championship club and don’t get promoted for the next 10/20 years?
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:01 - Sep 28 with 1183 views_

Players aren't investments. They're a means to an end even if buying young gives you more chance on a return.

It's a completely different animal and isn't in the same ballpark as the context you were trying to make a point of.

Mate, they don't have to put another penny into getting us up, if they make some clever decisions and we get the bit of luck we we need.

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:08 - Sep 28 with 1178 views_

I'm really surprised at how you can't grasp simple info here mate.

Hang around? You don't even think they'll try?

Even with our distinct advantage over the next couple of years with parachute payments. That wouldn't be us at an advantage over every club in our league but it would over say, what, roughly 80%

The odds should look decent. Certainly decent enough to give it a go without piling in any more money whatsoever.

Unbelievable you can't see this.

Login to get fewer ads

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:11 - Sep 28 with 1176 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 09:39 - Sep 28 by 34dfgdf54

Agree with this.

They are clearing the decks waiting for a buy out offer in my opinion. This will be confirmed for me if VDH and Fer are not offered deals and more players leave in January (not including Bony), I understand the need to get him off the books.

WTF would be the point in that? Sell it for peanuts and give new owners a great chance at increasing their outlay.

Fack, if that's the case I'd urge us all to crowdfund a buyout.

Think about it mate.

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:14 - Sep 28 with 1173 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 09:54 - Sep 28 by jack247

Your second paragraph is fair, albeit a softened stance from yesterday. Yes, the truth is none of us know what the plan is, we’re all speculating.

I do think it’s naive to assume they won’t sell until they get at least their £68m back. What happens in the very plausible scenario that we stabilise as a Championship club and don’t get promoted for the next 10/20 years?

There's only one naive person in this chat mate.

It's not a softened stance from Cooper, it's what he's been saying and what he firmly believes because of one simple reason. It makes perfect sense.

Now of course every single one of us has to put the caveat of 'not knowing for sure' because how can anyone? It's just looking at the situation and what's unfolding, and your theory is absolutely bonkers.

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:15 - Sep 28 with 1172 viewschad

Bingo, agree completely it is as though some kind of parallel universe exists here for some

where it is not possible to make a loss if things don’t go your way

Where exit plans are not made for the unfortunate circumstance of things going down hill

Where the sale of the club was not very recently largely sewn up behind our backs before we knew a thing about it.

It just defies common logic
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:26 - Sep 28 with 1143 viewschad

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 00:18 - Sep 28 by _

The Queen of Irrelevance.

Your flattery is overly kind
To elevate me to the status of the most powerful piece on the chessboard

Ironic when many on here seem to think you a pawn in the self serving politics of others

Irrelevant to you I may be but your many attentions to my posts seem to belie your words. Fear not I am sure others can evaluate the extent of my irrelevance themselves. Or is that what you actually fear.

Now let us return to civility it is far more constructive
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:27 - Sep 28 with 1141 viewsCatullus

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:01 - Sep 28 by _

Players aren't investments. They're a means to an end even if buying young gives you more chance on a return.

It's a completely different animal and isn't in the same ballpark as the context you were trying to make a point of.

Mate, they don't have to put another penny into getting us up, if they make some clever decisions and we get the bit of luck we we need.

I'd disagree that players aren't investments. The academy is an investment in producing players that will hopefully help generate success on the pitch and then be sold for a profit as more young players come through. It's the ideal operating model for smaller clubs because we cannot compete with the massive and/or billionaire owned clubs.
Likewise any player we buy is an investment in our present, a hope they will peform well and help earn success or another profit from a sale later on.
In sport though, nothing is quite as hit and miss as buying players, for every Bony (first time) there's a Bony (second time) ther's a Clucas and Mesa for every Britton and Trundle.
If no one made mistakes sport would be very predictable and boring, remembering of course that many of us feel the EPL has become just that and are happier in the Championship, happier because we appointed the right manager who has created something akin to a silk purse from what was almost a sows ear.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:27 - Sep 28 with 1141 viewsjack247

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:14 - Sep 28 by _

There's only one naive person in this chat mate.

It's not a softened stance from Cooper, it's what he's been saying and what he firmly believes because of one simple reason. It makes perfect sense.

Now of course every single one of us has to put the caveat of 'not knowing for sure' because how can anyone? It's just looking at the situation and what's unfolding, and your theory is absolutely bonkers.

I said it’s naive to assume they wouldn’t sell for less than £68m. Hypothetical scenario then as it’s clearly not going to happen, what do you think happens if a £65m offer comes in?

And of course it’s a softened stance. It’s gone from ‘buy high sell low definitely not’ to ‘none of us really know, but I firmly believe the plan is to stay and hope we go back up’.
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:30 - Sep 28 with 1139 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:15 - Sep 28 by chad

Bingo, agree completely it is as though some kind of parallel universe exists here for some

where it is not possible to make a loss if things don’t go your way

Where exit plans are not made for the unfortunate circumstance of things going down hill

Where the sale of the club was not very recently largely sewn up behind our backs before we knew a thing about it.

It just defies common logic

You can't work it out, that's your problem here. But you saying its defying common logic is an insult to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

You seem to have Eureka moments and run wildly with the tiniest piece of information, without stopping to think if they make sense on a wider basis.

Let's make this as blunt as possible.

They 'invested' 68n.

That's gone. Money out of the bank, no longer theirs.

In September 2018 their investment looks grim. Much worse than it did in September 2017, for example.

None of the 27 is banging at the door or out on the streets homeless.

They've put money into a football club and were ideally looking at a 3 to 5 year plan on some return. Probably hoping the Chinese would come in with huge TV money and they could sell on again at a profit.

Things haven't gone to plan

So they have to firstly protect their asset from going bust

So they plan for a new outcome

They could sell up if they could find a buyer and guarantee a loss.

Or they can make shrewd plans with shrewd appointments to rebuild and grow to challenge once more for promotion, thus bringing their original investment plans back into line.

This wouldn't cost them a penny more.

By making the tough decisions the wages would be brought into line and sooner, rather than later, they could use the parachute payments to gain an advantage over a very large portion of the competition. Not all, but still considerably.

This puts their situation into a choice of selling and guaranteeing a loss, or boxing clever and giving it another go. And at no cost to them.

If they sell now they wouldn't get much and with the parachute payments still to come in for another 3 years it would give the new owners a very decent chance at really increasing their initial outlay.

In short, they'd be crazy to give anyone new the great chance they could take advantage of themselves.

And lastly, this is what they've said they'll be doing.

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:33 - Sep 28 with 1134 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:27 - Sep 28 by Catullus

I'd disagree that players aren't investments. The academy is an investment in producing players that will hopefully help generate success on the pitch and then be sold for a profit as more young players come through. It's the ideal operating model for smaller clubs because we cannot compete with the massive and/or billionaire owned clubs.
Likewise any player we buy is an investment in our present, a hope they will peform well and help earn success or another profit from a sale later on.
In sport though, nothing is quite as hit and miss as buying players, for every Bony (first time) there's a Bony (second time) ther's a Clucas and Mesa for every Britton and Trundle.
If no one made mistakes sport would be very predictable and boring, remembering of course that many of us feel the EPL has become just that and are happier in the Championship, happier because we appointed the right manager who has created something akin to a silk purse from what was almost a sows ear.

I agree putting a structure in place to grow and develop kids is an investment to the football club. But the trading of human players is taking it a bit too far.

If that's the case you can describe anything you buy an investment. It's just not interesting in this context.

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:35 - Sep 28 with 1127 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:27 - Sep 28 by jack247

I said it’s naive to assume they wouldn’t sell for less than £68m. Hypothetical scenario then as it’s clearly not going to happen, what do you think happens if a £65m offer comes in?

And of course it’s a softened stance. It’s gone from ‘buy high sell low definitely not’ to ‘none of us really know, but I firmly believe the plan is to stay and hope we go back up’.

Rubbish. His stance is exactly the same.

Buy high and sell low is the right counter argument to the nonsense idea you're coming up with.

And if we get an offer for 65m sums it all up.

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:42 - Sep 28 with 1121 viewsjack247

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:35 - Sep 28 by _

Rubbish. His stance is exactly the same.

Buy high and sell low is the right counter argument to the nonsense idea you're coming up with.

And if we get an offer for 65m sums it all up.

Buy high and sell low is exactly what we did with Clucas and Mesa. You don’t want to class them as investments, but that’s exactly what they are. They are just investments from the club into the playing staff as opposed to in the club from investors.

I take it from your lack of response you probably agree they would sell if they could get nearly all their money back
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:50 - Sep 28 with 1116 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:42 - Sep 28 by jack247

Buy high and sell low is exactly what we did with Clucas and Mesa. You don’t want to class them as investments, but that’s exactly what they are. They are just investments from the club into the playing staff as opposed to in the club from investors.

I take it from your lack of response you probably agree they would sell if they could get nearly all their money back

The fact you keep mentioning that is really showing yourself up here mate.

It's a pretty dumb thing to say.

They had to sell them at a loss to what we paid. We had to do things like that to survive.

THEY DON'T """"HAVE"""" TO SELL THE CLUB THOUGH!!!

My response to your 65m was one of ridicule. I thought I'd made that clear, but OK, if they were offered that then it would be a bigger decision than selling it for what's it's really worth.

So it's a pointless exercise, but I'm getting used to that here.

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 11:01 - Sep 28 with 1103 viewsjack247

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:50 - Sep 28 by _

The fact you keep mentioning that is really showing yourself up here mate.

It's a pretty dumb thing to say.

They had to sell them at a loss to what we paid. We had to do things like that to survive.

THEY DON'T """"HAVE"""" TO SELL THE CLUB THOUGH!!!

My response to your 65m was one of ridicule. I thought I'd made that clear, but OK, if they were offered that then it would be a bigger decision than selling it for what's it's really worth.

So it's a pointless exercise, but I'm getting used to that here.

You think we would have gone to the wall if we hadn’t sold those two?

I’m not suggesting they have to sell the club. I’m suggesting I think they are looking to keep us ticking over under our own steam until an offer comes along. I don’t know what it would take to sell, but I’m certain they are open to offers.

This notion that they will suddenly start making clever decisions and out perform peers with bigger turnovers who are being bankrolled is a bit ambitious don’t you think? Jackpot if it happens, but these are the guys who brought us Bob Bradley, got us relegated and wasted tens of millions in the transfer market despite a negative net spend. Potter is the only great decision I can really credit them with.
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 11:13 - Sep 28 with 1097 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 11:01 - Sep 28 by jack247

You think we would have gone to the wall if we hadn’t sold those two?

I’m not suggesting they have to sell the club. I’m suggesting I think they are looking to keep us ticking over under our own steam until an offer comes along. I don’t know what it would take to sell, but I’m certain they are open to offers.

This notion that they will suddenly start making clever decisions and out perform peers with bigger turnovers who are being bankrolled is a bit ambitious don’t you think? Jackpot if it happens, but these are the guys who brought us Bob Bradley, got us relegated and wasted tens of millions in the transfer market despite a negative net spend. Potter is the only great decision I can really credit them with.

Yes, but not just those two, all the players we sold HAD to go. And probably some more in January.

What you're seeing now was planned as soon as relegation happened.

You can read on as well, but this time actually bloody read it and digest it....

How long will it take for Swansea City to return to the Premier League?

Steve Kaplan (SK): "We view this as a project in a lot of ways and respects. This is a reboot, we are doing it with young players who really want to be there. We know there are no guarantees we will get promoted in the first year in the Championship. This is a multi-year plan to get back up and, when we get back up, be sustainable."

Can you explain why Swansea have cut costs so severely this summer?

Jason Levien (JL) : "There is a harsh reality to relegation which is that the players you had the day before you were relegated, are worth less the day after you are relegated. Trying to figure out the market for those players, while trying to hold on to younger players who are growing into bigger roles was important for us.

"We are creating a new identity around those players and the key to May and early June was finding the right manager. Someone we could grow with over a multi-year period, someone who could be a good evaluator of talent and of who in the squad we wanted to keep and which players we were ready to let go of and that was a process that went on for several weeks.

"First, finding Graham and then working with Graham and Kyle [Macaulay, Swansea's new head of recruitment]. We held meetings in person and spoke over the phone many times over many days and hours. We decided on a strategy of bringing in young, aspiring talent they had identified. Trying to hold on to players on the current squad we felt could grow with that talent. One of those key players was Oli McBurnie who had not had regular minutes with Swansea in the Premier League.

"We felt there was a big opportunity for him to take the next step and we rejected offers from other clubs for him because we wanted to hold on to someone like Oli. That was a key decision. We looked at players who were later on in years and whether there was a chance to maximise their value. It was a difficult summer in that respect, but if you look at the players we lost and the players we gained, we feel we are moving in a very positive direction and there is a lot to be positive about.

"There is certainly a lot of work to do and there is more investment to be made, but the reality is there were players we bought along the way over the last two years that we are still paying transfer fees for and those are the realities of moving from the Premier League to the Championship. Steve and I are committed to building a sustainable squad, we are trying to learn from our mistakes and add players of value who can grow into their rules."

SK: "I give Graham Potter tremendous credit. He is playing young players who did not have the confidence to play. Oli McBurnie is an example. Everywhere he has played he has scored goals. I think Graham deserves credit for believing in him, and that is true of a lot of young players and what it says to players in the academy is that if they work hard there is a place for you in our squad. That's a tremendous message."

JL: "One thing I would add there is we also have some key older players like Martin Olsson and Kyle Naughton, we are looking forward to Wilfried Bony returning, Leroy Fer's return has been a big boost. I don't think we've seen Tom Carroll's best football yet. Those are players with Premier League experience and knowledge that other Championship clubs do not have

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 11:19 - Sep 28 with 1091 viewschad

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 10:30 - Sep 28 by _

You can't work it out, that's your problem here. But you saying its defying common logic is an insult to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

You seem to have Eureka moments and run wildly with the tiniest piece of information, without stopping to think if they make sense on a wider basis.

Let's make this as blunt as possible.

They 'invested' 68n.

That's gone. Money out of the bank, no longer theirs.

In September 2018 their investment looks grim. Much worse than it did in September 2017, for example.

None of the 27 is banging at the door or out on the streets homeless.

They've put money into a football club and were ideally looking at a 3 to 5 year plan on some return. Probably hoping the Chinese would come in with huge TV money and they could sell on again at a profit.

Things haven't gone to plan

So they have to firstly protect their asset from going bust

So they plan for a new outcome

They could sell up if they could find a buyer and guarantee a loss.

Or they can make shrewd plans with shrewd appointments to rebuild and grow to challenge once more for promotion, thus bringing their original investment plans back into line.

This wouldn't cost them a penny more.

By making the tough decisions the wages would be brought into line and sooner, rather than later, they could use the parachute payments to gain an advantage over a very large portion of the competition. Not all, but still considerably.

This puts their situation into a choice of selling and guaranteeing a loss, or boxing clever and giving it another go. And at no cost to them.

If they sell now they wouldn't get much and with the parachute payments still to come in for another 3 years it would give the new owners a very decent chance at really increasing their initial outlay.

In short, they'd be crazy to give anyone new the great chance they could take advantage of themselves.

And lastly, this is what they've said they'll be doing.

They have said quite a few things some of which some have not been true

If you read my posts instead of thinking insulting someone who said anything you do not want to hear furthers your case, then you would see we agree on a number of things which are indeed simple common sense - although why you need to tell me that when I have already stated those things myself I fail to understand

Where we differ is in seeming blind faith in those who have already shown their divisive ways in the sale and since. Who have never made a secret of their profit motive.

I am not picking on little things others have said, although you seem to be with Kaplan’s does not make a difference to his worth comment. I am talking about statements I made way back when which have always been my view as they are plain logic and business sense.

I like many think they will see if they can ride their luck and go back up without risking further funds and have said as much.

There are though indeed at least 2 costs to them if that fails (as it certainly could well do and has for many clubs)

1. That their investment drops further - very possibly significantly

2. The opportunity cost of the funds they could free through an exit

Of course there is the legal situation to be considered and the 20m + they may will need to find to buyout the Trust. But if your belief in the trite statements of Kaplan is correct it will be nothing for him to toss us the odd 20 mil so they can proceed with our full support and we can pick up the pieces if and when need be. Which again has long been my own openly stated belief.

To come to a balanced conclusion we need to consider all potential outcomes and know the characters of those involved by their past actions. Closing our eyes to things that don’t suit our personal argument, like exit plans does us no favours. We have already been done over once.
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 12:06 - Sep 28 with 1054 viewsjack247

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 11:13 - Sep 28 by _

Yes, but not just those two, all the players we sold HAD to go. And probably some more in January.

What you're seeing now was planned as soon as relegation happened.

You can read on as well, but this time actually bloody read it and digest it....

How long will it take for Swansea City to return to the Premier League?

Steve Kaplan (SK): "We view this as a project in a lot of ways and respects. This is a reboot, we are doing it with young players who really want to be there. We know there are no guarantees we will get promoted in the first year in the Championship. This is a multi-year plan to get back up and, when we get back up, be sustainable."

Can you explain why Swansea have cut costs so severely this summer?

Jason Levien (JL) : "There is a harsh reality to relegation which is that the players you had the day before you were relegated, are worth less the day after you are relegated. Trying to figure out the market for those players, while trying to hold on to younger players who are growing into bigger roles was important for us.

"We are creating a new identity around those players and the key to May and early June was finding the right manager. Someone we could grow with over a multi-year period, someone who could be a good evaluator of talent and of who in the squad we wanted to keep and which players we were ready to let go of and that was a process that went on for several weeks.

"First, finding Graham and then working with Graham and Kyle [Macaulay, Swansea's new head of recruitment]. We held meetings in person and spoke over the phone many times over many days and hours. We decided on a strategy of bringing in young, aspiring talent they had identified. Trying to hold on to players on the current squad we felt could grow with that talent. One of those key players was Oli McBurnie who had not had regular minutes with Swansea in the Premier League.

"We felt there was a big opportunity for him to take the next step and we rejected offers from other clubs for him because we wanted to hold on to someone like Oli. That was a key decision. We looked at players who were later on in years and whether there was a chance to maximise their value. It was a difficult summer in that respect, but if you look at the players we lost and the players we gained, we feel we are moving in a very positive direction and there is a lot to be positive about.

"There is certainly a lot of work to do and there is more investment to be made, but the reality is there were players we bought along the way over the last two years that we are still paying transfer fees for and those are the realities of moving from the Premier League to the Championship. Steve and I are committed to building a sustainable squad, we are trying to learn from our mistakes and add players of value who can grow into their rules."

SK: "I give Graham Potter tremendous credit. He is playing young players who did not have the confidence to play. Oli McBurnie is an example. Everywhere he has played he has scored goals. I think Graham deserves credit for believing in him, and that is true of a lot of young players and what it says to players in the academy is that if they work hard there is a place for you in our squad. That's a tremendous message."

JL: "One thing I would add there is we also have some key older players like Martin Olsson and Kyle Naughton, we are looking forward to Wilfried Bony returning, Leroy Fer's return has been a big boost. I don't think we've seen Tom Carroll's best football yet. Those are players with Premier League experience and knowledge that other Championship clubs do not have

Sorry mate, after the last couple of seasons, I’m going to struggle to take what those two say as gospel for a while.
With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 12:15 - Sep 28 with 1036 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 11:19 - Sep 28 by chad

They have said quite a few things some of which some have not been true

If you read my posts instead of thinking insulting someone who said anything you do not want to hear furthers your case, then you would see we agree on a number of things which are indeed simple common sense - although why you need to tell me that when I have already stated those things myself I fail to understand

Where we differ is in seeming blind faith in those who have already shown their divisive ways in the sale and since. Who have never made a secret of their profit motive.

I am not picking on little things others have said, although you seem to be with Kaplan’s does not make a difference to his worth comment. I am talking about statements I made way back when which have always been my view as they are plain logic and business sense.

I like many think they will see if they can ride their luck and go back up without risking further funds and have said as much.

There are though indeed at least 2 costs to them if that fails (as it certainly could well do and has for many clubs)

1. That their investment drops further - very possibly significantly

2. The opportunity cost of the funds they could free through an exit

Of course there is the legal situation to be considered and the 20m + they may will need to find to buyout the Trust. But if your belief in the trite statements of Kaplan is correct it will be nothing for him to toss us the odd 20 mil so they can proceed with our full support and we can pick up the pieces if and when need be. Which again has long been my own openly stated belief.

To come to a balanced conclusion we need to consider all potential outcomes and know the characters of those involved by their past actions. Closing our eyes to things that don’t suit our personal argument, like exit plans does us no favours. We have already been done over once.

You said....

I like many think they will see if they can ride their luck and go back up without risking further funds and have said as much....

Did you, where?

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 12:16 - Sep 28 with 1035 views_

With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans on 12:06 - Sep 28 by jack247

Sorry mate, after the last couple of seasons, I’m going to struggle to take what those two say as gospel for a while.

I accept your subtle apology.

Thank you

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024