Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way 22:40 - Oct 5 with 1330 viewsdurham_exile

Matchday 11 sees the Super U’s travel to Broadhall Way (aka The Lamex Stadium) to challenge Stevenage Borough led by Dino Maamria. Last season we provided the opposition for Dino’s first match for the Boro and as both sides have made a strong start to this campaign it should be another tightly contested game.

League Two Top Ten:

Lincoln 11 25
Exeter 11 23
Newport 11 23
COL U 11 19
FGR 11 19
MK Dons 11 18
Stevenage 11 18
Oldham 11 17
Bury 11 18
Tranmere 11 18

I will try and resist the temptation to once again bring out all the ABBA puns, but they are such good value for this fixture!

One thing is certain, the “bad boy of football” Kurtis Guthrie, who played 49 times for the U’s scoring 13 goals is likely to line up against JMc’s team tomorrow after a move to the Boro, which has seen him score 3 goals in 11 appearances.

This will not concern JMc who has three superior strikers now, two of whom are likely to play tomorrow. I was surprised to see Eastman and Norris play Tuesday night after their respective injuries on the previous Saturday. Frankie Kent is sadly still unlikely to play but JMc will be keen to field an unchanged line up on Saturday.

Tuesday night saw a revitalised U’s take Yeovil apart and thoroughly deserve their victory. It was a shame about the consolation goal but in fairness it was a very well struck free kick. After an unbeaten away start to the season the U’s will be keen to put Stevenage to the sword

That means a starting berth for Courtney Senior over Brennan Dickenson and Tom Eastman retaining his place at the heart of the defence. It was great to see Tom Lapslie back in the centre of the park.

Team 4,3,1,2:

Barnes

Jackson Eastman Prosser Vincent-Young

Senior Pell Lapslie

Szmodics

Nouble Norris

Subs:

Gilmartin Kensdale Wright Comley Dickenson Collins Mandron

The weather at Stevenage is likely to be rain showers and 12C — pitch will be soft, but otherwise should be fine for football.

After an impressive start to the season, JMc will be keen to cement the U’s top three ambition with another Away victory. We have already played difficult games at Notts County (do not make the mistake of writing them off, they will be close to the top three at the end of the season) Mansfield, Tranmere and Oldham, who collectively are some of the more difficult away matches and we have survived them all. Stevenage will provide another tough challenge though. NB: Tranmere defeated leaders Lincoln on Tuesday night!

When all is said and done, Dino will be still exclaiming Mamma Mia at the end of the game as the Winner has taken it all and he will have met his Waterloo. For JMc the name of the game is three points in darkest Hertfordshire.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful, enjoy the game Wessex and enjoy another three points to bring us closer to the top three.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 14:13 - Oct 6 with 1270 viewsgerry_us

Great that you managed to get in my all time favourite Abba track, "When all is said and done".

Hope for a positive result this afternoon an that an automatic promotion spot is not …"Slipping through my fingers" . "Knowing me, Knowing you"....we will be hoping for the best.
Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 15:06 - Oct 6 with 1259 viewsmfb_cufc

Unchanged team, and Szmodics makes it 1-0 in the 2nd minute.

mfb

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 15:52 - Oct 6 with 1250 viewsmfb_cufc

The lovely Kurtis Guthrie makes it 1-1, and that is the H/T score.

mfb

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 17:12 - Oct 6 with 1227 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 15:52 - Oct 6 by mfb_cufc

The lovely Kurtis Guthrie makes it 1-1, and that is the H/T score.

Guthrie shows his "class"after scoring the equaliser, booked for excessive celebration.

Worse still two late goals and its two defeats out of the last three games. Very disappointed with the result against a team we have previously had the Indian sign over.

Back to the drawing board.

Up the U's

Mamma Mia here we go again!

Durham_exile

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 18:07 - Oct 6 with 1190 viewsMoor_Pinot

Durham I don't know why but for some time the U's have been unable to string even three results together let alone a significant run. Individual players are also inconsistent with a few exceptions.
The culture at our club at the moment does not suggest that we have a promotion team - an occasionally entertaining one yes but a Lincoln or an Exeter I fear not. A six game unbeaten run is long long overdue.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 21:01 - Oct 6 with 1134 viewsnoah4x4

We were dire after 30 minutes. Second to the ball, second in the tackle, second place in the result. Awful!
Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 22:29 - Oct 6 with 1115 viewsmfb_cufc

We have a team/squad capable of being in the top seven at the end of the season, but do we a manager? I don't think so. He just doesn't seem to be able to change the direction of a game when things are going against us. As noah said awful for the last hour, but he doesn't make a first substitution until the 79th minute. Northampton and Bury "done a job" on us, but McGreal does nothing about it. This is still Northampton's only win this season, so hardly any world beater's.

mfb

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 22:36 - Oct 6 with 1113 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 18:07 - Oct 6 by Moor_Pinot

Durham I don't know why but for some time the U's have been unable to string even three results together let alone a significant run. Individual players are also inconsistent with a few exceptions.
The culture at our club at the moment does not suggest that we have a promotion team - an occasionally entertaining one yes but a Lincoln or an Exeter I fear not. A six game unbeaten run is long long overdue.

Pinault - I fear you are absolutely right, the only consistent thing at present is our inconsistency.

Two defeats in a week has set us back to eighth position and there are difficult games coming up.

Tranmere were 3-1 up at Morecambe allowed the Shrimps to comeback and still scored a winner. Carlisle managed to hold onto a 3-1 lead at Oldham.

I was more concerned with the JMc comment about holding onto a 1-0 lead today rather than looking for a second.

I still believe we can be promoted this season but a vast improvement in form is required. There are at least three players who are below par at present, one of whom is Brennan Dickenson.

Having now watched the "highlights" the penalty decision was criminal, clearly a yard outside the penalty area!!! but we did not push for a second goal and that is the JMc philosophy sadly. There is no excuse when we have been free scoring this season.

A very bad defeat and in a league which is very close, we cannot afford such profligacy.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 07:10 - Oct 7 with 1079 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 22:36 - Oct 6 by durham_exile

Pinault - I fear you are absolutely right, the only consistent thing at present is our inconsistency.

Two defeats in a week has set us back to eighth position and there are difficult games coming up.

Tranmere were 3-1 up at Morecambe allowed the Shrimps to comeback and still scored a winner. Carlisle managed to hold onto a 3-1 lead at Oldham.

I was more concerned with the JMc comment about holding onto a 1-0 lead today rather than looking for a second.

I still believe we can be promoted this season but a vast improvement in form is required. There are at least three players who are below par at present, one of whom is Brennan Dickenson.

Having now watched the "highlights" the penalty decision was criminal, clearly a yard outside the penalty area!!! but we did not push for a second goal and that is the JMc philosophy sadly. There is no excuse when we have been free scoring this season.

A very bad defeat and in a league which is very close, we cannot afford such profligacy.

Up the U's

Top scorers in League 2 but middle of the pack defensively. In that context McGreal’s negative tactics make no sense.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 07:40 - Oct 7 with 1076 viewsMoor_Pinot

He proves consistently that he is the most consistent thing about the U's i.e that he consistently lacks aptitude. To try to maintain a one nil lead after 90 seconds of play is absurd when we have free scoring forwards.
What quality we do have continues to be mismanaged and that's why we're unable to mount proper promotion challenges. We're just not led in the grown up way that Exeter Mk and Lincoln are. Infuriating.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to be right on the money, money, money at Broadhall Way on 08:05 - Oct 7 with 1072 viewsnoah4x4

After a bright 20 minutes the U's seemed to run out of energy and motivation. We were consistently second in every challenge, a yard slower and I reckon we don't like playing in rain. Szmodics was anonymous after 90 seconds whilst Senior and Nouble ran down blind alleys and too easily lost the ball, leaving us stretched and vulnerable. The contribution of all three in defence was zilch (unusual for Nouble). It is patently clear that better attacking teams (Bury, Oldham, Stevenage) will find vulnerabilities in our central defence that lacks pace when Kent is absent. McGreal's overly defensive tactics once again failed. However, the wheels fully came off with the appalling 'penalty' decision. We could see it was outside the area from the other end of the pitch, so how could two officials get this so wrong! The TV replay is clear. Time to write this one off as a "bad day at the office". All teams have one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024