Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday 14:02 - Oct 12 with 1348 viewsdurham_exile

Following an excellent victory over local fiends Southend United in the Checkatrade on Tuesday evening, JMc and his charges entertain the Red Devils of Crawley Town on Saturday at the JobServe in what is now a must win game.

Must win because two recent sloppy defeats to Bury and Stevenage have plunged the U’s to eighth place in the table. The Stevenage game was particularly hard to take because the game hinged on an appalling decision by the referee to award a penalty to the home side when the game was evenly poised, worse still the offence was clearly committed outside of the penalty area.

Anyway, we move swiftly on and it is up to the U’s to repair the damage by securing a victory against 9th placed Crawley, managed by Gabriele Cioffi.

Table:

Lincoln 12 28
Exeter 12 24
Newport 12 24
MK Dons 12 21
Stevenage 12 21
FGR 12 20
Tranmere 12 20
COL U 12 19
Crawley 12 19
Carlisle 12 19
Bury 12 18

With just over a quarter of the season now played we are 5 points behind where we should be, accepting that 2 points per game is the average required to secure promotion (in an automatic spot), we can afford precious few defeats and must prevail in our home games to make the Stadium a fortress.

It is of course not all doom and gloom; the U’s have shown a freedom of expression in the attacking third and in Luke Norris have a superlative striker capable of scoring 20+ goals this season. Harry Pell has also shown that he was an impressive signing and can weigh in with valuable goals. Aaron Collins is the player most badly affected by the success of the team in that his chances after an impressive debut at Meadow Lane have been sorely limited. His goal against our Essex neighbours was typical of what he is capable of. Mikael Mandron remains an enigma, he has ability, works hard for the team, but fails to convert chances into goals.

So, what does JMc do this week with team selection:

I reckon he should go with 4,3,3:

Barnes

Jackson Prosser Kent Vincent-Young

Lapslie Pell Dickenson

Szmodics Collins Norris

Subs:

Gilmartin Barnes (A) Kensdale Gondoh Senior Mandron Eastman

Brandon Comley is once again on International duty with his brother James playing for Mon tserrat against Belize in the CONCACAF group. Whilst closer to home Luke Norris will be playing against his brother in law Lewis Young whilst leading out mascot Reggie (his nephew) who will be sporting the U’s kit with “Uncle” on the back. I am sure that once 3pm comes around there will be no family sentiments for 90 minutes.

Norris himself was nominated for another award this month, with the Bristol Street Motors Player of the Month Award, but sadly missed out to Lincoln’s Pett. He will not mind if he scores another couple of goals this weekend.

The league is proving to be a close affair and there are some intriguing fixtures this Saturday; Newport v Stevenage, Port Vale v Lincoln, Exeter v Swindon and Notts County v Oldham. Remember that the Magpies are now showing the form that they are capable of. Another reason why we need the three points on Saturday.

Weather for Colchester is set to be a warm 23C but cloudy. The good news for U’s fans is that it will be dry after the deluge at Stevenage last week.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 12 Oct 2018 16:02]

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 01:36 - Oct 13 with 1292 viewsghughes11

Bit harsh on Nouble who works hard both in defence and attack!
Brennan has been poor of late, so I would keep him on the bench.
I was thinking 3 at the back, but we are at home so:

Barnes
Jackson Kent Prosser Young
Pell Lapslie
Senior Collins Nouble
Norris
Give Sammie a rest from the start and bring him and Brennan on after 70 odd mins.

Crawley showing some form after a poor start to the season, but I'm confident of a 2-0 win!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 05:46 - Oct 13 with 1290 viewsLeadbelly

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 01:36 - Oct 13 by ghughes11

Bit harsh on Nouble who works hard both in defence and attack!
Brennan has been poor of late, so I would keep him on the bench.
I was thinking 3 at the back, but we are at home so:

Barnes
Jackson Kent Prosser Young
Pell Lapslie
Senior Collins Nouble
Norris
Give Sammie a rest from the start and bring him and Brennan on after 70 odd mins.

Crawley showing some form after a poor start to the season, but I'm confident of a 2-0 win!

I heard Nouble was unlikely to play. Due to injury

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 09:33 - Oct 13 with 1264 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 05:46 - Oct 13 by Leadbelly

I heard Nouble was unlikely to play. Due to injury

I should have included in my preview the fact that Nouble is probably unavailable for selection.

I stand by my selection of Aaron Collins to partner Norris up front. He impressed against Notts County then became the forgotten man and now returns to score against Scummend. Give him a run out against the Red Devil's.

Today is all about the three points and hopefully a comprehensive victory.

Up the U's
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 14:41]

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 14:11 - Oct 13 with 1244 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 09:33 - Oct 13 by durham_exile

I should have included in my preview the fact that Nouble is probably unavailable for selection.

I stand by my selection of Aaron Collins to partner Norris up front. He impressed against Notts County then became the forgotten man and now returns to score against Scummend. Give him a run out against the Red Devil's.

Today is all about the three points and hopefully a comprehensive victory.

Up the U's
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 14:41]

Col u disinformation stream is clearly working well!

Nouble plays

Team

Gilmartin
Jackson Eastman Prosser Vincent-Young
Lapslie Pell Senior
Szmodics Norris Nouble

Subs Barnes Kent kensdale Wright Dickenson Collins Mandron

Surprise to see Gilmartin starting in goal

Disappointed for Collins

Still come on three points needed

Up theU's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 15:29 - Oct 13 with 1229 viewsdurham_exile

Sammie Szmodics 1-0

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 15:39 - Oct 13 with 1227 viewsgerry_us

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 15:29 - Oct 13 by durham_exile

Sammie Szmodics 1-0

Ahhh! Too early.
Please, please do not go all negative this early. We have lots of goalscorers on the pitch so let them concentrate on that; not defending.
Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 15:45 - Oct 13 with 1225 viewsgerry_us

Oh joy! 1-1
Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 15:46 - Oct 13 with 1225 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 15:39 - Oct 13 by gerry_us

Ahhh! Too early.
Please, please do not go all negative this early. We have lots of goalscorers on the pitch so let them concentrate on that; not defending.

It is crucial that we win today, all other scores are favouring the top teams, we cannot lose more ground.

Was the foul inside the penalty area though?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 16:52 - Oct 13 with 1206 viewsgerry_us

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 15:46 - Oct 13 by durham_exile

It is crucial that we win today, all other scores are favouring the top teams, we cannot lose more ground.

Was the foul inside the penalty area though?

Up the U's

3-1 May be safe now...
Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 17:15 - Oct 13 with 1197 viewswessex_exile

That was just brilliant! Very surprised (and slightly alarmed) that Gilmartin started, but he didn't do much wrong to be honest, and nothing he could do for the penalty. On that, from my iFollow perspective, it definitely was a penalty, but hopelessly mismanaged by an abysmal Kettle. Pell was magnificent, so was Sammy, but what about Norris - arguably all three goals were down to him and he played an absolute blinder. What makes this even sweeter was that Crawley were a very good side. Back into the play-offs we go, and still the leading goal-scorers in the division.

Up the U's!!!

Edit: ...however, according to Carl Marston's twitter feed, Gambin has admitted to Luke Prosser that he dived. I'll be honest, didn't look like it to me.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 18:03]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 19:04 - Oct 13 with 1154 viewsLeadbelly

Entertaining game despite Kettle’s usual atrociously inept performance, aided and abetted by the linesman he consulted before awarding the penalty (best actor Oscar nomination?) He really must be the worst referee in the Football League.

Nobody had a bad game but I thought Norris and Nouble were both a handful and Senior caused Crawley real problems. His withdrawal certainly surprised me and helped them put us under pressure. Despite that we did create further chances and all three goals were well worked and well taken.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday (n/t) on 22:24 - Oct 13 with 1103 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 19:04 - Oct 13 by Leadbelly

Entertaining game despite Kettle’s usual atrociously inept performance, aided and abetted by the linesman he consulted before awarding the penalty (best actor Oscar nomination?) He really must be the worst referee in the Football League.

Nobody had a bad game but I thought Norris and Nouble were both a handful and Senior caused Crawley real problems. His withdrawal certainly surprised me and helped them put us under pressure. Despite that we did create further chances and all three goals were well worked and well taken.

Jacques Cousteau would have been proud of that dive.

We have been cheated by the officials in successive league games.

Up the U's
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 22:27]

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 22:41 - Oct 13 with 1092 viewsDCPete

Possibly the most emphatic prediction I’ve ever done in my 11 years on this site.

ColU 3 Crawley 1

After the Scummend and today.. I am very very happy :D
Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 09:02 - Oct 14 with 1040 viewsMoor_Pinot

Entertaining game. Two decent div 4 top ten sides, albethem neither as fluid, capable or dominant as Exeter, Lincoln and MK who are beginning to display a certain inevitability even this early on.

As Lead says three excellent goals and I still agree with the first Wessex analysis - it was a penalty and could have been given for the first or second foul. Dive or not there was a foul. Mind you back to Lead Kettle remains the worst FL referee and over the years has frequently given the U's a hard time.

So to beat a side 3-1 was great, I could not have argued if it had been 3-3 or worse. They had an excellent keeper and Palmer is a real handful only denied by Prossers experience. Nevertheless I thought Norris was class. Presumably Mandron will be needed in January after Norris leaves for Ipstink. Jackson reminds me of John McLaughlin and is sometimes too good for his teammates, Senior is a nuisance and Nouble a better version of Ibhere. Dangerous going forward we didn't look defensively secure even with Kent coming on. But...... Can anyone explain why 2-1 up we dropped deep and played on the break? Norris clearly found this frustrating, visibly so with Jacko. If only our manager believed more!

We now need to have a proper run (cup exit accepted) to build enough confidence to challenge the top sides plus probably Notts County and Oldham. But please Mr Cowling hold on to Norris.

Up up the U's

Moor Pinot

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 06:52 - Oct 15 with 970 viewsbwildered

Presume the reason Kent came on was that Crawley looking for a equalizer midway through second half began winning more aerial possession. The insurance policy paid off with Prosser heading off the line later.
Two quality finishes in the second half, though life could have been easier with a couple other chances not taken .
A welcome three points, but a home game against the league leaders to come, will show where are our credentials for promotion / playoff places , has recent history suggests we have been found wanting in competing with the top sides.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Red Devils to be vanquished by the Super U's on saturday on 16:50 - Oct 15 with 936 viewsnoah4x4

Kent came on when Crawley threw a centre half into the forward line, John McGreal wisely noting the likelihood of an aerial bombardment. We did briefly sit too deep as a result, but for once I think McGreal correctly anticipated the threat.

Senior lasted longer than his usual 65 to 70 minutes. I have noticed that he and Szmodics always struggle to make a full 90 minutes. Sammy was dead on his feet in the last ten minutes but we had no remaining substitutes. I think we need to keep an eye on this issue as we tend to concede goals in the last minutes and having both on the pitch then probably isn't sensible. It's not a question of anything other than fatigue. They run miles box to box and there are limits.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024