Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We must never sell Wembley 22:01 - Oct 29 with 889 viewsgerry_us

Just watched Spurs v City and saw an overriding reason why we must maintain Wembley as our national "football stadium. How an NFL game can cause so much damage to the pitch I cannot imagine. However, I suppose 40 or so 20 stone+ player running around on it can't help. The bare grass on the far side was apparently caused by support staff. As the commentator said....they must have had 3,000 staff to cause that much damage.
We must never deny "all" levels of football the opportunity of playing on the Wembley pristine pitch...Not a cow meadow
We must never sell Wembley on 23:53 - Oct 29 with 877 viewsnoah4x4

I was there for the Anthony Joshua fight. Had seats on the pitch about where the D in the penalty area is (almost ringside). The entire pitch was covered with heavy aluminium flooring and it cannot have escaped some consequences. The centre circle area was obviously the ring and that was a massive metal structure with huge heavy big screens etc.

Wembley has been used for events before (Live Aid etc), usually in the summer. However, I don't recall so many big events following one after each other so quickly during the football season. Spurs playing there every 14 days must also be punishing the pitch and now they remain there indefinitely until the delayed White Hart Lane is finished.

Thin edge of the wedge?
We must never sell Wembley on 09:25 - Oct 30 with 844 viewswessex_exile

It's a sign of the times I fear - gone are the days we could afford a massive national stadium that only generated revenue for 4-6 international matches per year, in fact in reality we probably never could. Nowadays, there has to be some sort of fee-earning event taking place every other week to make if viable, never mind the copious conference, corporate and trade events that take place. Sadly, the 'uniqueness' of going to Wembley is diminished in the process...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

We must never sell Wembley on 16:19 - Oct 30 with 812 viewsbwildered

Very strange watching a PL game, played on a NFL pitch , presume at ground level did not look so shabby for players and officials .
Having upgraded Wembley several years ago, it will take forever and a day for the FA to repaid the loans , so anything goes . Horse of the year show anyone !
[Post edited 30 Oct 2018 16:20]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

We must never sell Wembley on 22:51 - Oct 30 with 784 viewswessex_exile

We must never sell Wembley on 16:19 - Oct 30 by bwildered

Very strange watching a PL game, played on a NFL pitch , presume at ground level did not look so shabby for players and officials .
Having upgraded Wembley several years ago, it will take forever and a day for the FA to repaid the loans , so anything goes . Horse of the year show anyone !
[Post edited 30 Oct 2018 16:20]

Good compost for the grass?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

We must never sell Wembley on 23:58 - Oct 30 with 779 viewsnoah4x4

April 13th Anthony Joshua versus.....TBC.

I can't wait! A world title fight at Wembley is an awesome experience especially if it does result in unification. I recall Ali, Frazier and all the great heavyweights. Now we have our own, fighting in our back yard, not pretenders like Cooper and Bruno across the Atlantic. Must go.

But doesn't auger well for Cup Final barely a month later. But as the U's won't be there, who cares?
We must never sell Wembley on 19:48 - Oct 31 with 735 viewsgerry_us

We must never sell Wembley on 22:51 - Oct 30 by wessex_exile

Good compost for the grass?

Regret to say my future wife and I were part of 30,000 who witnessed show jumping on the famous Wembley turf in 1968; Harvey Smith, David Broome et al. Every divot was a stab in my heart. Apparently, Horse of the Year Show only existed at Wembley for two years and was thoroughly decried by all seriuos sports fans, not just football fans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024