Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cannon to Pompey confirmed 18:03 - Dec 26 with 9534 viewsSaxonDale

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/portsmouth-boss-admits-swoop-

Confirmed by Jackett, all the best to him. Been a good player for us but unfortunately leaves with probably an unfulfilled Dale career, still, 150 league apps from the youth isn’t to be sniffed at. Think he’ll be a great signing for them at 150,000.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 18:10]
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 18:07 - Dec 26 with 7133 viewsDaley_Lama

Can’t wait to boo him.

Good luck Andy, great time to sign for a club on the way back up.

Poll: DF in or out

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 18:11 - Dec 26 with 7101 viewsSaxonDale

The booing of Bunney was Bury-esque.
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 18:54 - Dec 26 with 6849 viewsShun

All the best Andy. Very good player at this level and a fans’ favourite, to the point where he almost took on martyrdom towards the end of his Dale career due to Hill’s decision not to play him. He’ll forever go down as a real talent Hill wasted for me.
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:01 - Dec 26 with 6815 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Suspect ( and hope) that AC goes on to great things.....surely he will be a Championship player next season and deserves it. Good guidance from Kenny the Jacket will make him a better player.

Just hope we have a sell on Promotion Clause.....otherwise we've been pissed on again.
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:13 - Dec 26 with 6735 viewsjonahwhereru

See Jackett wants him as an attacking midfielder, but added he has been used variably for us.

Well that is true of every non goalkeeping player in our squad.

Hope Cannon flourishes there, he deserves a shot at bettering himself.

As for where it leaves Rochdale, Hill has marginalised Cannon to the extent that he has not been able to be much of an influence this season. Plus it is one less player that Keith can use to tinker around with the team, and Morley will now be the player putting pressure on Camps and Rathbone in the midfield.
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:17 - Dec 26 with 6694 viewsregjenkins

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:13 - Dec 26 by jonahwhereru

See Jackett wants him as an attacking midfielder, but added he has been used variably for us.

Well that is true of every non goalkeeping player in our squad.

Hope Cannon flourishes there, he deserves a shot at bettering himself.

As for where it leaves Rochdale, Hill has marginalised Cannon to the extent that he has not been able to be much of an influence this season. Plus it is one less player that Keith can use to tinker around with the team, and Morley will now be the player putting pressure on Camps and Rathbone in the midfield.

Not everyone boo'd Bunney, but no cigar for those who did.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:24 - Dec 26 with 6661 viewsDaleiLama

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:17 - Dec 26 by regjenkins

Not everyone boo'd Bunney, but no cigar for those who did.

Almost unanimous applause from the Main Stand for Bunney and a slightly more slender SD (by about 1 mince pie). Don't get slagging players who leave - especially ones who scored an equaliser against Spurs!

As for AC, well, sometimes things just don't work out in life. I agree wholeheartedly with Shun's post, but as a counterpoint, if everything was always perfect wouldn't life be a bit dull? Don't you need the bad times and the mistakes to appreciate the good times and success all the more? Bit like rewards - anything given to you on a plate is far less meaningful than something your strived hard for an earned. OK - philosophical musings over.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:54 - Dec 26 with 6151 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:24 - Dec 26 by DaleiLama

Almost unanimous applause from the Main Stand for Bunney and a slightly more slender SD (by about 1 mince pie). Don't get slagging players who leave - especially ones who scored an equaliser against Spurs!

As for AC, well, sometimes things just don't work out in life. I agree wholeheartedly with Shun's post, but as a counterpoint, if everything was always perfect wouldn't life be a bit dull? Don't you need the bad times and the mistakes to appreciate the good times and success all the more? Bit like rewards - anything given to you on a plate is far less meaningful than something your strived hard for an earned. OK - philosophical musings over.

On the plus side the sale and wage reduction means Perkins wage is covered for a year. Why hill never utilised cannon like he should have god only knows. Good luck to the lad. His new manager certainly can’t treat him worse!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Login to get fewer ads

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 09:14 - Dec 27 with 5746 viewsDaleiLama

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 22:54 - Dec 26 by Thacks_Rabbits

On the plus side the sale and wage reduction means Perkins wage is covered for a year. Why hill never utilised cannon like he should have god only knows. Good luck to the lad. His new manager certainly can’t treat him worse!!!

Agree Thacks - I can see the plus side. Changes had to be made to numbers if nothing else and a big plus is the way MJ has come on too. I confess I didn't see a CB pairing of Delaney and MJ working, but Delaney looks to have filled out a bit and MJ seems to have added a slightly more physical side to his game and they do look like a pair may be starting to form. I liked both AC and HM but it doesn't pay to get too attached to Dale players. I recovered from NML leaving …… this is just another speed bump in the Dale journey.

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 09:19 - Dec 27 with 5734 viewsJames1980

Is it possible for another club to outbid Portsmouth?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 11:57 - Dec 27 with 5502 viewsDickydaler

Yes, sad to see Andy go. I have followed his progress through the youth set up and was really pleased he made it to the first team and get so many appearances under his belt. (Although should have been more!) However, he isn't going to find it easy at Portsmouth. They've already got a winning team and I think he is going to have to bide his time. But good luck to him, I hope it's a successful move but I have a niggling doubt that it might not be.
Cannon to Pompey confirmed (n/t) on 12:16 - Dec 27 with 5461 viewsD_Alien

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 11:57 - Dec 27 by Dickydaler

Yes, sad to see Andy go. I have followed his progress through the youth set up and was really pleased he made it to the first team and get so many appearances under his belt. (Although should have been more!) However, he isn't going to find it easy at Portsmouth. They've already got a winning team and I think he is going to have to bide his time. But good luck to him, I hope it's a successful move but I have a niggling doubt that it might not be.

Double post
[Post edited 27 Dec 2018 12:22]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 12:19 - Dec 27 with 5451 viewsD_Alien

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 11:57 - Dec 27 by Dickydaler

I don't see Cannon being drafted straight into their starting XI, barring injuries to their current players. Jackett will be seeking squad depth in the run-in to promotion, keeping everyone on their toes. It's something Cannon is used to, but at least he'll be on more money. Good luck to him

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 13:15 - Dec 27 with 5310 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Barring the pitch repairs which cost us a lot,would we have made a similar amount £150k from our Cup run last season,to match the Andy sale?
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 14:46 - Dec 27 with 5133 viewsrochdaleriddler

Bit odd that Pompey have confirmed this, but nothing from our end , and the window is shut for another few days

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 17:03 - Dec 27 with 4917 viewspioneer

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 14:46 - Dec 27 by rochdaleriddler

Bit odd that Pompey have confirmed this, but nothing from our end , and the window is shut for another few days

Not really.Communication would not appear inthe 10 strongest points of our club
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 17:06 - Dec 27 with 4908 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 17:03 - Dec 27 by pioneer

Not really.Communication would not appear inthe 10 strongest points of our club

Do we have 10 strong points?

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 17:19 - Dec 27 with 4858 viewsSuddenLad

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 14:46 - Dec 27 by rochdaleriddler

The deal cannot be official until January 1st, so until then, he remains a Dale player. No doubt the club will announce the move when it is properly authorised and valid.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 17:36 - Dec 27 with 4807 viewsRAFCBLUE

Bit of an odd one for me this transfer in how it has come about and a good one for us I think.

Firstly, I don't get the 150 league appearances references in various places- Soccerbase (and I know it's not always 100% accurate) has him down as 127 appearances in all competitions - 100 in the league and 74 starts since 1 July 2014

I'm not sure how many competitive games we have had in that time (220?) but it looks like a player who has only been available for just over half the games, for whatever reason. Granted Cannon and Hill have had their fallings out but that and suspensions doesn't explain not contributing to around 100 games over 4 years.

Secondly, timing. We have possibly one of the best young midfield sets - in potential terms - outside of the top two divisions. Take from the list of Dooley, Jordan Williams, MJ Williams, Rathbone, Perkins, Inman, Camps, Adshead and Morley and add Cannon and he is one of 10 in that space.

We've an overabundance of players in that area so reducing that number is sensible and to a club that is offering cash + add-ons makes good sense for all parties.

Finally, Daniel Adshead. Here we have an England international youth player who has Andy Cannon as competition; if we have to dispose of one of the two in this transfer window I'm pleased its Cannon because Adshead could be our first £1m + transfer fee (plus add-ons) if he can play, develop and stay injury free.

Always hard when someone moves on but I can see the logic here and if we are getting good money for a player who has cost us nothing but development time we have made money and can wish him all the best at Pompey.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 17:51 - Dec 27 with 4762 viewsrochdaleriddler

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 17:19 - Dec 27 by SuddenLad

The deal cannot be official until January 1st, so until then, he remains a Dale player. No doubt the club will announce the move when it is properly authorised and valid.

I am aware of the transfer window , not sure how Pompey can announce it unilaterally before it is a done deal

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 18:14 - Dec 27 with 4685 views49thseason

Both clubs have signed it and dated it effective from January 1st 2019. Which makes sense from a Dale perspective as they have kept him off the pitch and Pompey have secured agreeable terms and locked out other clubs who might have become interested.
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:14 - Dec 27 with 4553 viewsDaleiLama

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 17:06 - Dec 27 by Thacks_Rabbits

Do we have 10 strong points?

We have 30 points. That's strong enough for now after last year.

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:54 - Dec 27 with 4469 viewsJames1980

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 17:51 - Dec 27 by rochdaleriddler

I am aware of the transfer window , not sure how Pompey can announce it unilaterally before it is a done deal

If we renege on the deal now we won't look very honourable.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 20:17 - Dec 27 with 4397 viewsmacro

Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 19:54 - Dec 27 by James1980

If we renege on the deal now we won't look very honourable.

I’d imagine it’s all been signed and confirmed already with the contract coming into force on Jan 1st
Cannon to Pompey confirmed on 21:14 - Dec 27 with 4274 viewsD_Dale

100, not 150, league appearances, SaxonDale, 74 starts and 26 as a sub. I mention this not (only) to be pedantic, but because there seems to be a pattern: in 2014-15 Cannon made 18 league appearances, followed by 25 in 2015-16, 24 in 2016-17, 21 in 2017-18 and 12 in this season.

In the four years and a couple of months since he made his league debut, on 27 September 2014, he seems not to have made the progress that might have been expected - or at least hoped for. I can't go along with the explanation suggested by some posters, that Keith Hill either didn't recognise Andy Cannon's abilities or, if he did, perversely refused to make the most of them. Maybe he was close to his peak over four years ago and hasn't developed much beyond that level.

His debut incidentally was at Leyton Orient, where he came on for the second half. Dale were then 2-1 down and Ashley Eastham had been sent off in the 30th minute. Dale scored twice more to take the three points. I hope Andy leaves Dale with fond memories of that match, as well as some subsequent ones. And I hope, by progressing to at least Championship level, he proves me wrong (especially if the deal with Pompey includes various add-ons!)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024