Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very small consolation... 17:07 - Dec 29 with 833 viewswessex_exile

...but apart from Lincoln, all of the rest of the top 7 draw, apart from Exeter who manage to lose at home to Grimsby. Another lacklustre performance, with no apparent sense of urgency until it was too little too late, but we're still there in the mix. If 4th place on goal difference at the end of 2018 had been offered back in August, I'd have taken it.

Onwards and upwards, my second trip of the Christmas period coming up on New Year's Day at Crawley, so really hoping for a significant improvement.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Very small consolation... on 17:08 - Dec 29 with 827 viewsTheHappyGooner

Yeah a big shame after the MK win

Can never quite understand why teams don’t kick on

Must be a mental thing
[Post edited 29 Dec 2018 17:09]

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

Very small consolation... on 17:50 - Dec 29 with 803 viewsgerry_us

Just look where we could have been with those extra five points!
We really should be looking to kick on at home, especially against teams in the bottom half of the division. Is this ultra cautious McG again?
MK Don match was brilliant, last two... diabolical.
Very small consolation... on 17:55 - Dec 29 with 801 viewsthrillseeker

Today was just as appalling as Boxing Day.

It says a lot when your left back is looking your best striker/ offensive player.

I feel for Norris as we do not play to his style and you can see his frustration. I woudn't mind a top two of Mandron & Norris given a go.

I also think Nouble and Dickenson should be given consideration for being dropped as both were poor Boxing Day and today.

Anyway enough of the negativity - 3 points on NYD at Crawley will ensure happiness returns
[Post edited 29 Dec 2018 17:57]
Very small consolation... on 17:59 - Dec 29 with 794 viewsnoah4x4

Dickenson awful.
Norris little better.
Pell continues poor touch.

Solution, three at back, Eastman, Prosser, Kent.
Push KVY and Jackson forward with Lapslie, Gondoh, Szmodics.
Nouble and Mandron forward.
Very small consolation... on 18:40 - Dec 29 with 774 viewsbwildered

A lackluster and uninspiring performance by the U's. No quality from the byline whatsoever.
Teams that get promoted, turn these games into three points .
Biggest worry though, no impact after halftime teamtalk and substitutions made little effect .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Very small consolation... on 18:56 - Dec 29 with 769 viewsGOSBTS

Back home from the game. Frustrating is the word I'd describe this afternoon. For large portions of the game it felt like we had a magnet that forced our players to run sideways. Morecambe could have parted like the red sea and we'd have still passed to the wings. Our best chances came when we either found an incisive pass down the middle, or Vincent-Young took players on.

However, the biggest frustration for me was the referee. He was a real stickler for the rules. When watching Brighton in the past I've bemoaned referees who allow players to take an extra 5-10 yards with throw-ins, but today his pedantry was painful and by the end it appeared as though he favoured Morecambe. Why on earth allow Senior to break away with the last kick of the game but not allow the free kick when he was cynically brought down?

Comely didn't do anything particularly wrong but I think Pell has to start on Tuesday. Vincent-Young was excellent when he took the game to them. Sammie didn't get enough service today. I wasn't present at the beginning of the season when Norris was on fire but I really don't see Sammie and Norris as an effective front two.

If we play down the middle more, rather than just to the wings, I think we'll be a formidable team going into 2019.
Very small consolation... on 09:51 - Dec 30 with 700 viewsLeadbelly

Very small consolation... on 18:40 - Dec 29 by bwildered

A lackluster and uninspiring performance by the U's. No quality from the byline whatsoever.
Teams that get promoted, turn these games into three points .
Biggest worry though, no impact after halftime teamtalk and substitutions made little effect .

Good to see you back BW

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Very small consolation... on 12:31 - Dec 30 with 683 viewsMoor_Pinot

Gerry - Yes you are right, just look where we could/should have ensured we were in the table after the Christmas games. The MK result now seemingly isolated.

Noah - I could not agree more with your line up. If you can see this I do not understand why management are so resistant. 15 games since we scored more than 0 or 1. Yesterday cried out for a more direct attack and I could not see why the shape wasn't changed at half-time when it was clear that we were still playing Stevenage, albeit even more ponderously and yes, Dickinson - dreadful. I too, would rest Nouble - he was all blind alleys and tiredness and should have been booked first half for a bad one.

We seem to have a [now] hapless 'Plan A only' approach which worked at the start of the season but to which the response by our opponents has not been responded to by our own set-up. We continue to pass the ball beautifully for hours on end in our own half though.

Wessex - It is up to you at Crawley! It's not too late to make up for our recent form but the inability to create positive product after a 6-0 v Crewe [we lost the next game] or the win at MK is baffling. Pre MK we'd been hammered by Carlisle. Jekyll & Hyde you called it. Quite!

So, let's hope Noah's team assemble at Crawley or that at least there is a plan B whereby Norris has another forward somewhere within the same county as himself and without our full backs doing all the driving into the box. This left us short several times at the back against Morecombe and a better side would have put away one of their opportunities. They thoroughly deserved their point.

I think that we have won at Crawley....time to do it again.
Up the U's - whoever you are in the next match.

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Very small consolation... on 15:54 - Jan 1 with 585 viewsburnsieespana

Was at game against Morecombe and my third this year already but the least satisfying as we should have taken them apart.
To me Mandron looks far more effective at the moment than Norris but do feel we missed Pell's physical strength in midfield as we looked far better when he came on.
Was surprised at the defensive formation as frankly even as early as the second minute we were caught out, so agree with noah's suggestion for the back three.
What I found so frustrating was with the throw ins as time and time again we allowed Morecombe to get back because we showed so little movement.
Hopefully we can win at Crawley which would give us 7 points out of 12 which is just about ok but after beating MK Dons it looked like we could be on for 10 or even 12.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024