Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today 10:27 - Feb 2 with 2190 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his beleaguered charges to the PTS Academy Stadium aka Sixfields to play Northampton Town in what is very much a must win game.

The last 9 games have seen the U’s win 2, draw 2 and more disturbingly lose 5. The wheels started to come off after that disastrous 4-0 defeat to a much-improved Carlisle United side. I had the misfortune to be at Brunton Park for that humiliation, and it proved to be our worst performance of the season.

Back to back defeats (Mansfield and Crewe) in games that frankly we were winning and should have secured some points from, have dropped us down to 8th position in the table.

Lincoln 29 59
Mansfield 30 55
Bury 30 53
FGR 30 51
Carlisle 30 51
MK Dons 29 50
Exeter 29 47
COL U 30 46

In fact, with 16 games to play those eight teams are likely to occupy the top eight places, although we hope that Colchester can yet return to early season form and achieve a top three finish.

Remaining games:

Northampton A
Cheltenham H
Macclesfield A
Carlisle H

Swindon A
Newport H
FGR H
Exeter A

Tranmere H
Cambridge A
Oldham H
Bury A

Grimsby H
Yeovil A
MK Dons H
Lincoln A

Dividing the fixtures into bite sized chunks allows them to be more easily digested, but the simple truth is that we are going to have to secure at least another 11 victories to guarantee a top 7 finish, anything else is a bonus.

So much for the glass half empty news, the better news is that we have made three impressive signings this week; two loans with Callum Roberts from Newcastle and Abo Eisa from Shrewsbury whilst arguably the capture of the past 5 seasons is Ben Stevenson signed from Wolves on a 2.5-year deal. I am still reeling from that monumental news. Stevenson was outstanding last season and he will combine with Harry Pell to form an effective midfield pairing. He has goals in him too and TH should be applauded for securing this outstanding talent from Wolves. I am sure that Coventry will be seething about this but don’t lose any sleep worrying about them!

We didn’t lose any of our more promising talent either, so all in all a good week off the field.

Keith Curle is currently in charge of the Cobblers and has made two decent signings of his own this week; Charlie Goode and Marvin Sordell both on loan. He will also hope to have (former U’s favourite) John-Joe O’Toole and Dean Bowditch back in contention for today’s game.

Today is all about three points for the Super U’s. Also, how many of the new signings will start for JM. All three, I hope.

Now Rene Gilmartin is fast developing a vampire mentality, he is afraid of crosses as demonstrated over the past two games. Let’s get Dillon Barnes back between the sticks today. JM has a decision as to whether to go with Frankie Kent and Luke Prosser at the back or stick with Tom Eastman. I reckon the midfield will surely be Pell, Stevenson and Lapslie allowing Eisa, Roberts and Szmodics to play up front.

I know that Mandron and Nouble have been playing in advanced roles, but their goal return has been sparse at best. Until a fully fit Norris is restored to the team, lets see what top scorer Szmodics and new starlet Roberts can do with Eisa offering the pace on the flanks.

Senior and Dickenson have both flattered to deceive and fledgling talent Junior is still not fully trusted by JM.

So, let’s go for a youthful, adventurous and talented team:

Barnes

Jackson Kent Prosser Vincent-Young

Pell Stevenson Lapslie

Eisa Roberts Szmodics

Subs:

Gilmartin Eastman Comley Mandron Ogedi-Uzokwe Senior Dickenson

Today’s weather is to be partly sunny and three degrees Celsius in Northampton. The faithful will be travelling in good numbers and hopefully will be toasting another away victory at 4.50pm.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:42 - Feb 2 with 596 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:31 - Feb 2 by durham_exile

Bring on Roberts and we will get a fifth

Roberts on for the last 9 minutes

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:44 - Feb 2 with 595 viewsLeadbelly

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:42 - Feb 2 by durham_exile

Roberts on for the last 9 minutes

Come on the U's

And brought down for a penalty

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:45 - Feb 2 with 592 viewsLeadbelly

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:44 - Feb 2 by Leadbelly

And brought down for a penalty

Pell’s penalty saved. Bugger!

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:50 - Feb 2 with 586 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:45 - Feb 2 by Leadbelly

Pell’s penalty saved. Bugger!

JM must play all three new signings next week.

They have rekindled our season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:55 - Feb 2 with 582 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:50 - Feb 2 by durham_exile

JM must play all three new signings next week.

They have rekindled our season.

Up the U's

Superb result

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:57 - Feb 2 with 579 viewsGOSBTS

And Ipswich lost in the 90th minute. The dream is alive!
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:58 - Feb 2 with 578 viewsLeadbelly

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:55 - Feb 2 by durham_exile

Superb result

Up the U's

As you say the new signings made a big difference.

Southend losing, Ipswich conceded the winner in the 90th minute and the Us cruise to an impressive victory. Brilliant afternoon so far. If Leeds can beat The Budgies later it will be perfect (for me at least)

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 17:02 - Feb 2 with 577 viewsgerry_us

Pity we missed a late penalty.
Still, thankful for a 4-0 away win.
Login to get fewer ads

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 17:23 - Feb 2 with 566 viewsburnsieespana

Only just got to see this post and what pleasure it gave me to read your pre match report. Good to see you have got our goal machine working again!
Our division is very very close so lots to play for during the last part of the season.
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 18:34 - Feb 2 with 548 viewsbwildered

Congrats to McCluless, who got all the post match positives in, but ...
that one swallow does not make a summer .
Let ii be a India summer please .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 18:55 - Feb 2 with 540 viewsMoor_Pinot

Cracking result and delighted for them all. Maybe with a win next week we've still got a sniff! Great way to uplift the weekend weather.

Moor Pinot

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 20:03 - Feb 2 with 524 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 18:55 - Feb 2 by Moor_Pinot

Cracking result and delighted for them all. Maybe with a win next week we've still got a sniff! Great way to uplift the weekend weather.

Have just watched the highlights and what struck me was the pace that the new signings brought to the team. Szmodics and Vincent-Young were also positive and full of running.

Cheltenham will be equally despatched if JM plays all three new signings because in league two pace frightens defenders and creates chances.

It is now up to the U's to impose themselves on the top seven and aim for one of the automatic promotion places.

A great victory against a side that has a number of impressive players. Sordell however couldn't hit the side of a Renault Espace.

Anyway Up the super U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 10:48 - Feb 3 with 460 viewspwrightsknees

I'm going to be the "glass half empty" one, today.

A few weeks ago, the U's got a great result at MK Dons. Then we floundered. Then we got another super result at Port Vale. Then floundered again. Inconsistency has been our best description so far.

Let's hope the new signings can help change that. Time will tell, but I'm not gloating over my son and his passion for Ipswich Town yet (well, I am a bit).
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 10:56 - Feb 3 with 457 viewsburnsieespana

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 10:48 - Feb 3 by pwrightsknees

I'm going to be the "glass half empty" one, today.

A few weeks ago, the U's got a great result at MK Dons. Then we floundered. Then we got another super result at Port Vale. Then floundered again. Inconsistency has been our best description so far.

Let's hope the new signings can help change that. Time will tell, but I'm not gloating over my son and his passion for Ipswich Town yet (well, I am a bit).

As regards them, because the bottom 4/5 teams are so very very poor they could yet escape!
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 11:08 - Feb 3 with 452 viewswessex_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 10:56 - Feb 3 by burnsieespana

As regards them, because the bottom 4/5 teams are so very very poor they could yet escape!

8pts from safety and only 16 games to go, I think Ipswich will run out of matches before they’ve gathered enough points.

I made the trip to Sixfields yesterday, and what a performance it was. All the new signings played their part, but it was Szmodics who ran the show, and Gilmartin played a blinder too.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024