Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today 10:27 - Feb 2 with 2216 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his beleaguered charges to the PTS Academy Stadium aka Sixfields to play Northampton Town in what is very much a must win game.

The last 9 games have seen the U’s win 2, draw 2 and more disturbingly lose 5. The wheels started to come off after that disastrous 4-0 defeat to a much-improved Carlisle United side. I had the misfortune to be at Brunton Park for that humiliation, and it proved to be our worst performance of the season.

Back to back defeats (Mansfield and Crewe) in games that frankly we were winning and should have secured some points from, have dropped us down to 8th position in the table.

Lincoln 29 59
Mansfield 30 55
Bury 30 53
FGR 30 51
Carlisle 30 51
MK Dons 29 50
Exeter 29 47
COL U 30 46

In fact, with 16 games to play those eight teams are likely to occupy the top eight places, although we hope that Colchester can yet return to early season form and achieve a top three finish.

Remaining games:

Northampton A
Cheltenham H
Macclesfield A
Carlisle H

Swindon A
Newport H
FGR H
Exeter A

Tranmere H
Cambridge A
Oldham H
Bury A

Grimsby H
Yeovil A
MK Dons H
Lincoln A

Dividing the fixtures into bite sized chunks allows them to be more easily digested, but the simple truth is that we are going to have to secure at least another 11 victories to guarantee a top 7 finish, anything else is a bonus.

So much for the glass half empty news, the better news is that we have made three impressive signings this week; two loans with Callum Roberts from Newcastle and Abo Eisa from Shrewsbury whilst arguably the capture of the past 5 seasons is Ben Stevenson signed from Wolves on a 2.5-year deal. I am still reeling from that monumental news. Stevenson was outstanding last season and he will combine with Harry Pell to form an effective midfield pairing. He has goals in him too and TH should be applauded for securing this outstanding talent from Wolves. I am sure that Coventry will be seething about this but don’t lose any sleep worrying about them!

We didn’t lose any of our more promising talent either, so all in all a good week off the field.

Keith Curle is currently in charge of the Cobblers and has made two decent signings of his own this week; Charlie Goode and Marvin Sordell both on loan. He will also hope to have (former U’s favourite) John-Joe O’Toole and Dean Bowditch back in contention for today’s game.

Today is all about three points for the Super U’s. Also, how many of the new signings will start for JM. All three, I hope.

Now Rene Gilmartin is fast developing a vampire mentality, he is afraid of crosses as demonstrated over the past two games. Let’s get Dillon Barnes back between the sticks today. JM has a decision as to whether to go with Frankie Kent and Luke Prosser at the back or stick with Tom Eastman. I reckon the midfield will surely be Pell, Stevenson and Lapslie allowing Eisa, Roberts and Szmodics to play up front.

I know that Mandron and Nouble have been playing in advanced roles, but their goal return has been sparse at best. Until a fully fit Norris is restored to the team, lets see what top scorer Szmodics and new starlet Roberts can do with Eisa offering the pace on the flanks.

Senior and Dickenson have both flattered to deceive and fledgling talent Junior is still not fully trusted by JM.

So, let’s go for a youthful, adventurous and talented team:

Barnes

Jackson Kent Prosser Vincent-Young

Pell Stevenson Lapslie

Eisa Roberts Szmodics

Subs:

Gilmartin Eastman Comley Mandron Ogedi-Uzokwe Senior Dickenson

Today’s weather is to be partly sunny and three degrees Celsius in Northampton. The faithful will be travelling in good numbers and hopefully will be toasting another away victory at 4.50pm.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 10:46 - Feb 2 with 1604 viewsgerry_us

Return of the Exile. Welcome back mate.
Hope your review can bring us a bit of luck...well that and half a team we wont probably know!
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 11:27 - Feb 2 with 1591 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 10:46 - Feb 2 by gerry_us

Return of the Exile. Welcome back mate.
Hope your review can bring us a bit of luck...well that and half a team we wont probably know!

Thanks Gerry, its good to be back.

At least Jeff Stelling can crack the financial joke when Eisa scores for the super U's.

Have a feeling that we can prevail today!!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 11:57 - Feb 2 with 1588 viewsmfb_cufc

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 11:27 - Feb 2 by durham_exile

Thanks Gerry, its good to be back.

At least Jeff Stelling can crack the financial joke when Eisa scores for the super U's.

Have a feeling that we can prevail today!!!!!

Up the U's

Welcome back durham. It is ironic that you wanted Mo Eisa to sign for us in the past, and we end up with his brother instead.

mfb

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 13:10 - Feb 2 with 1574 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Welcome back Durham. This has made my Saturday.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 13:25 - Feb 2 with 1567 viewsMoor_Pinot

Hallo Durham - grand to read your words and may three points reward your welcome return. I'd stick with Mandron initially I think as the poor lad hasn't had any service of any kind since Norris' injury. Otherwise bring on your team for a revenge result!

Moor Pinot

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 14:00 - Feb 2 with 1559 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 11:57 - Feb 2 by mfb_cufc

Welcome back durham. It is ironic that you wanted Mo Eisa to sign for us in the past, and we end up with his brother instead.

Mfb, RS and Pinault it is great to be back. Thank you for your kind words.

Mick it is ironic about Eisa. After a superb season with the Robins, Mo Eisa has found slim pickings at Ashton Gate. Perhaps League one is his best opportunity.

I am a great Mandron fan but his strike rate is so poor and if he could only improve that key part of his game he would warrant a starting role every week.

I do hope that JM is brave and plays all three new signings today. They will rekindle our season.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 14:07 - Feb 2 with 1557 viewsdurham_exile

JM has not been really brave

Starting XI

Gilmartin
Pell Stevenson Senior
Szmodics Mandron Nouble

Roberts and Eisa on the bench but I do hope they both get game time.

Up the U's
[Post edited 2 Feb 2019 14:39]

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 14:28 - Feb 2 with 1546 viewsMoor_Pinot

OMG this management needs to prove me wrong pretty soon....... Nouble is still in the team.
Cautious to the detriment of the clubs chances in my view.
What a shame.
Go on Franck get three...

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 14:42 - Feb 2 with 1539 viewsLeadbelly

Great to see you back Durham.

McGreal must be the only person connected with the club that thinks Nouble justifies a starting position based on his “performances” of late.

I’ll be listening to the commentary on BBC Essex whilst cooking beef goulash. With all the new ingredients at his disposal McGreal seems to have decided on serving up something very familiar rather than spicing up the menu. Let’s hope he can avoid making a hash of it this afternoon.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 15:29 - Feb 2 with 1526 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 14:42 - Feb 2 by Leadbelly

Great to see you back Durham.

McGreal must be the only person connected with the club that thinks Nouble justifies a starting position based on his “performances” of late.

I’ll be listening to the commentary on BBC Essex whilst cooking beef goulash. With all the new ingredients at his disposal McGreal seems to have decided on serving up something very familiar rather than spicing up the menu. Let’s hope he can avoid making a hash of it this afternoon.

LB just goes to show how little I know about the team big Frank has just scored 1-0 super U's

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 15:29 - Feb 2 with 1526 viewsgerry_us

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 14:28 - Feb 2 by Moor_Pinot

OMG this management needs to prove me wrong pretty soon....... Nouble is still in the team.
Cautious to the detriment of the clubs chances in my view.
What a shame.
Go on Franck get three...

Well well. There's one of them.
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 15:42 - Feb 2 with 1521 viewsMoor_Pinot

Yep - cheers Franck. Nothing like a good geeing up of a French man all the way from snowy France Gerry!

Moor Pinot

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 15:50 - Feb 2 with 1514 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 15:42 - Feb 2 by Moor_Pinot

Yep - cheers Franck. Nothing like a good geeing up of a French man all the way from snowy France Gerry!

Now second half we need a second to kill the game.

Will JM be brave enough to bring on the loanees second half.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 15:57 - Feb 2 with 1511 viewsgerry_us

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 15:50 - Feb 2 by durham_exile

Now second half we need a second to kill the game.

Will JM be brave enough to bring on the loanees second half.

Up the U's

More to the point, are we going to adopt the McG philosophy of protecting what we have?
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:00 - Feb 2 with 1508 viewsLeadbelly

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 15:57 - Feb 2 by gerry_us

More to the point, are we going to adopt the McG philosophy of protecting what we have?

Let’s hope not!

Pretty even first half and still all to play for.

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:12 - Feb 2 with 1503 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:00 - Feb 2 by Leadbelly

Let’s hope not!

Pretty even first half and still all to play for.

Well Jeff Sterling has just been able to crack the Eisa is a good investment joke now that Abo has just scored.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:13 - Feb 2 with 1502 viewsgerry_us

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 14:07 - Feb 2 by durham_exile

JM has not been really brave

Starting XI

Gilmartin
Pell Stevenson Senior
Szmodics Mandron Nouble

Roberts and Eisa on the bench but I do hope they both get game time.

Up the U's
[Post edited 2 Feb 2019 14:39]

First goal for ISA but no comment from Jeff Stelling. Missed his chance there.
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:14 - Feb 2 with 1502 viewsLeadbelly

Two quick goals to start the second half...and we scored them! What was in that half time cuppa?

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:17 - Feb 2 with 1499 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:13 - Feb 2 by gerry_us

First goal for ISA but no comment from Jeff Stelling. Missed his chance there.

Gerry Jeff said that Eisa was a good investment and went onto mention his brother Mo who has failed to score at Ashton Gate.

Now 3-0 with Kane Vincent-Young scoring. All good news

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:27 - Feb 2 with 1488 viewsLeadbelly

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:17 - Feb 2 by durham_exile

Gerry Jeff said that Eisa was a good investment and went onto mention his brother Mo who has failed to score at Ashton Gate.

Now 3-0 with Kane Vincent-Young scoring. All good news

Up the U's

Sammie scores a fourth goal on the counter attack.

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:29 - Feb 2 with 1485 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:27 - Feb 2 by Leadbelly

LB all very good news.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:29 - Feb 2 with 1485 viewsgerry_us

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:27 - Feb 2 by Leadbelly

We want MORE...
Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:31 - Feb 2 with 1483 viewsdurham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:29 - Feb 2 by gerry_us

We want MORE...

Bring on Roberts and we will get a fifth

Durham_exile

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:37 - Feb 2 with 1479 viewsLeadbelly

Sounds like Gilmartin is having a good game. Actually made some saves, good ones as well.

Cobblers to be leathered by Super U's today on 16:39 - Feb 2 with 1474 viewsGOSBTS

What a game, bravo lads!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024