Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Director of Football 18:48 - Feb 10 with 949 viewswessex_exile

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest our transfer market dealings recently (e.g. Pell, Norris, Nouble, and now Aisa, Roberts and Stevenson) have been very positive, which by and large makes a very welcome change. I don't know the set up at Colchester United, but how much do we have the much-maligned Tony Humes as Director of Football to thank for this?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Director of Football on 07:45 - Feb 11 with 906 viewsnoah4x4

I have never doubted Tony Humes football or business brain. Just his ability to communicate with fans. Cowling is similar. Neither are 'front men'. They have sensibly slid into the shadows and allowed McGreal and the players do the talking of late.

The management change we most need to make is sack the architect behind no shuttle buses, "free" programmes (I resent paying for climate damaging paper production that I don't want), burnt pies (regularly running out at HT), gnat-pee Green King IPA etc? Yes, the 'fans bar' is potentially a step forward, but a choice of Green King IPA or Stowmarket Cider, won't ever lure fans in. We will never enjoy gates of 5,000+ without radical change as the customer experience is so poor. It is too much effort for many to get to the ground in the absence of public transport and despite the football being the most attractive in ten years the club's reputation as a host has been seriously damaged by many years of off the field mismanagement.

I was recently a guest in a corporate box, was initially refused a request for a pizza at half time ("we don't do any food at HT"). The customer experience at many away grounds is vastly superior. The latest idea is come watch "Champions League" football. Yes, but how do folk get home rat-arsed with no public transport? This move is simply encouraging drink driving. The football club is now utterly detached from the town with no presence whatsoever except small pockets of fans in a limited number of real ale pubs. Then, no pub buses, no public transport; no way to get to the ground if elderly/infirm/or like a beer. Yet the solutions are so simple.
Director of Football on 20:57 - Feb 11 with 866 viewswessex_exile

Director of Football on 07:45 - Feb 11 by noah4x4

I have never doubted Tony Humes football or business brain. Just his ability to communicate with fans. Cowling is similar. Neither are 'front men'. They have sensibly slid into the shadows and allowed McGreal and the players do the talking of late.

The management change we most need to make is sack the architect behind no shuttle buses, "free" programmes (I resent paying for climate damaging paper production that I don't want), burnt pies (regularly running out at HT), gnat-pee Green King IPA etc? Yes, the 'fans bar' is potentially a step forward, but a choice of Green King IPA or Stowmarket Cider, won't ever lure fans in. We will never enjoy gates of 5,000+ without radical change as the customer experience is so poor. It is too much effort for many to get to the ground in the absence of public transport and despite the football being the most attractive in ten years the club's reputation as a host has been seriously damaged by many years of off the field mismanagement.

I was recently a guest in a corporate box, was initially refused a request for a pizza at half time ("we don't do any food at HT"). The customer experience at many away grounds is vastly superior. The latest idea is come watch "Champions League" football. Yes, but how do folk get home rat-arsed with no public transport? This move is simply encouraging drink driving. The football club is now utterly detached from the town with no presence whatsoever except small pockets of fans in a limited number of real ale pubs. Then, no pub buses, no public transport; no way to get to the ground if elderly/infirm/or like a beer. Yet the solutions are so simple.

I'm never likely to be troubled by the service provided in the executive boxes, but I 100% agree on the shuttle bus decision.

Up the U's

Director of Football on 09:12 - Feb 13 with 806 viewsWitham

Has anyone considered that the shuttle bus savings probably paid for our recent signings. Yes I was affected by the withdrawal but given the choice I would rather see the money spent on the team.
Director of Football on 17:26 - Feb 13 with 775 viewswessex_exile

Director of Football on 09:12 - Feb 13 by Witham

Has anyone considered that the shuttle bus savings probably paid for our recent signings. Yes I was affected by the withdrawal but given the choice I would rather see the money spent on the team.

Given it is common knowledge that we try and scrupulously observe FFP rules (and that's not a criticism) I guess it's almost certain that in order to spend more money on the squad, we have to make savings elsewhere - so by assumption that must include the shuttle bus savings?

Up the U's

Director of Football on 17:45 - Feb 13 with 771 viewsnoah4x4

No chance. The club's subsidy was only around £30,000 per annum. If the club had properly managed this it would have cost zilch.

However, if 100 persons have ceased attending due to no adequate transport that is a loss of 100 x £20 x 23 games = £46,000 lost revenue before taking account of lost shop, catering and alcohol sales.

Frankly, the club doesn't appear to care about older, disabled or similar fans that now struggle to attend because it is too far to walk from Mill Road or Park & Ride. The stairs in the stands are too narrow and deserve handrails. I am 64, have rarely missed a game home or away in ten years, but fear that unless I get new knees or better public transport is restored I won't be attending for many more years. We must make the ground more accessible, or progressively lose more fans.
Director of Football on 20:17 - Feb 13 with 756 viewswessex_exile

Director of Football on 17:45 - Feb 13 by noah4x4

No chance. The club's subsidy was only around £30,000 per annum. If the club had properly managed this it would have cost zilch.

However, if 100 persons have ceased attending due to no adequate transport that is a loss of 100 x £20 x 23 games = £46,000 lost revenue before taking account of lost shop, catering and alcohol sales.

Frankly, the club doesn't appear to care about older, disabled or similar fans that now struggle to attend because it is too far to walk from Mill Road or Park & Ride. The stairs in the stands are too narrow and deserve handrails. I am 64, have rarely missed a game home or away in ten years, but fear that unless I get new knees or better public transport is restored I won't be attending for many more years. We must make the ground more accessible, or progressively lose more fans.

I'm not defending the decision Noah, just understanding how the logic, on paper, could be applied as a reason to be able to put more into the first team.

Up the U's

Director of Football on 08:29 - Feb 15 with 729 viewsbwildered

Returning to the original question , the Chairman was concerned regards the level of recruitment which was raised at a previous STH forum.
Thought that Under the Director of football, a recruitment post was created to improve the situation thereafter .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Director of Football on 16:05 - Feb 15 with 704 viewsburnsieespana

I am utterly amazed no bus operator has stepped in on a commercial basis to run buses to the ground on match days but can understand why the club stopped the subsidy based on the information provided by first even though whenever I used the service no controls whatsoever were in place. Suppose it was easy money for them!
Been able to see 4 games this season and use the park and ride but, it is a considerable walk and luckily am still at 72 fairly fit but, can do nothing but agree with noah's comments about the older people being able to attend and surely, in the main, the grey population is the one every other undertaking goes after as they tend to have disposable income.
Login to get fewer ads

Director of Football on 20:34 - Feb 15 with 682 viewsmfb_cufc

Director of Football on 08:29 - Feb 15 by bwildered

Returning to the original question , the Chairman was concerned regards the level of recruitment which was raised at a previous STH forum.
Thought that Under the Director of football, a recruitment post was created to improve the situation thereafter .

I think Ian Moody was recruited as head of recruitment. I never read that he had left the position, but he doesn't appear to be employed by the club anymore.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024