Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose 08:55 - Feb 16 with 831 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his resurgent U’s to Moss Rose Macclesfield today for another important League Two game. Back to back victories have breathed more life into the U’s promotion challenge and they can tackle the Silkmen with renewed confidence . Much has happened since we played Macclesfield at Fortress JobServe in early December. Of our 12 games since then we have won 5 drawn 2 and lost 5. Macclesfield have won 4 drawn 3 and lost 4 of their 11 matches, giving an indication of what Sol Campbell and Danny Whitaker and latterly Andrew Cole have brought to the Cheshire strugglers.

There can be no complacency today, Macclesfield are expecting a big crowd and they will be looking to attempt to draw away from the dreaded bottom two .

Moss Rose is a compact ground with a capacity of 6,335. The faithful today will be in the Big Brands Idea stand or the John Askey Terrace. When we played them at home in December, I recalled the famous 4-4 draw in April 1992 at Moss Rose when both teams were in the Conference. JM will be seeking three points today and I expect, notwithstanding a gallant effort from the Silkmen located 53 degrees north, Colchester to prevail. Recent Colchester away performances have lanced the northern travel boil, albeit slightly.

JM has some squad issues which he will have to tackle carefully, most notably is the loss of Harry Pell, injured last week. Ben Stevenson also requires a fitness test, but I expect him to play, with Tom Lapslie in the middle of the park. I have now conceded that JM will not start all three new arrivals, preferring to introduce Callum Roberts from the bench.

Given that the Goalkeeper and Back Four pick themselves and the midfield is virtually sorted JM must decide on his attacking options. Brennan Dickenson is beginning to show (from the bench) something of the form that he produced prior to his lengthy injury lay off. Courtney Senior is surely to retain his place and there is no way that JM can leave Abo Eisa out (no more appalling puns, they have had their day Ed).

That leaves Luke Norris, fit again after his recent injury concerns and Mika Mandron, also vying for a start. I reckon both will warm the bench because big Frank Nouble continues to relish his central striking role and is looking for successive goals in successive games.

Therefore:

Gilmartin

Jackson Prosser Kent Vincent-Young

Lapslie Stevenson Eisa

Senior Nouble Szmodics

Subs:

Barnes Comley Wright Dickenson Mandron Norris Roberts

Top of the Table 1st to 8th:

Lincoln 31 61 +24
Mansfield 32 58 +23
Bury 32 57 +23
MK Dons 32 53 +18
COL U 32 52 +17
Carlisle 32 52 +12
FGR 32 51 +15
Exeter 31 51 +12

Experience has shown that even at this stage of the season it is unwise to rule anyone out of the running and momentum from a mid-table side could see them yet challenge for a top seven place. Two possible contenders are Swindon and Grimsby, but it still looks like any 7 from the top 8 at present.

There are three other tasty games today (apart from Colchester of course) Notts Co v Mansfield, Carlisle v MK Dons and Exeter v Bury. Draws are probably favourite, but it is stressed that our fortunes are very much in our own hands. It is of course possible that the final game against the Imps could decide the automatic promotion places, but let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves at this stage. I went to Sincil Bank last season where we lost 1-0 in a cagey affair and perhaps on reflection were unlucky to lose.

The remaining 14 fixtures:

Macclesfield A
Carlisle H
Swindon A
Newport H

FGR H
Exeter A
Tranmere H
Cambridge A

Oldham H
Bury A
Grimsby H
Yeovil A

MK Dons H
Lincoln A

The Macclesfield weather today is set fair with a mild 11 degrees Celsius and some cloud. The pitch should be decent. Its all about the three points today and I wish the travelling faithful safe journeys and hopefully they will be applauding the team at 4.50pm following another Away victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 10:49 - Feb 16 with 797 viewsgerry_us

I see no reference to Eastman in the team or the bench Peter. Is he injured as to my mind he is the most reliable defender that we have in the club and certainly worth his place in the centre of defence..
We must be wary of Macclesfield as what Sol Campbell has done in the limited time is extraordinary....and they will only get better.
What could we achieve with an ex-pro manager with ideas instead of an ex-Ippy manager without ideas?
...and do they still have the tarpaulin over the visitor section of Moss Rose. Remembering it leaked the last time I visited...many years ago.
Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 11:11 - Feb 16 with 794 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 10:49 - Feb 16 by gerry_us

I see no reference to Eastman in the team or the bench Peter. Is he injured as to my mind he is the most reliable defender that we have in the club and certainly worth his place in the centre of defence..
We must be wary of Macclesfield as what Sol Campbell has done in the limited time is extraordinary....and they will only get better.
What could we achieve with an ex-pro manager with ideas instead of an ex-Ippy manager without ideas?
...and do they still have the tarpaulin over the visitor section of Moss Rose. Remembering it leaked the last time I visited...many years ago.

Good morning Gerry

I agree with you I am also a great Eastman fan and you could argue he could replace another defender on the bench. JM prefers Kent and Prosser in defence and now he has abandoned three at the back there is no starting place for Tom Eastman.

I have only been to Moss Rose once for the 92 game and I remember it was a warm and sunny day, can't remember the tarpaulin but the pitch was heavy that day. Nowhere near as bad as Rodney Parade though!

I firmly believe we will see the Silkmen off today. They are a threat as any team is in the division but the league table doesn't lie andhaving come through a test at Six Fields we will be too strong for the Silkmen whose survival is hanging by a thread!

Sadly I can't make the trip today but it should be an entertaining game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 14:47 - Feb 16 with 772 viewsmfb_cufc

U's team to face Macclesfield: Gilmartin, Jackson, Prosser, Kent, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, Stevenson, Senior, Szmodics, Eisa, Nouble.

So durham is spot-on with his selection. The one change being the predicted one of Lapslie replacing the injured Pell.

U's subs v Macclesfield: Eastman, Wright, Roberts, Dickenson, Mandron, Norris, Barnes.

[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 14:48]

mfb

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 14:57 - Feb 16 with 765 viewsmfb_cufc

A great start to the day with Notts County beating Mansfield 1-0. A win today and we will be just 3 points from the automatics.

mfb

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 15:50 - Feb 16 with 753 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 14:57 - Feb 16 by mfb_cufc

A great start to the day with Notts County beating Mansfield 1-0. A win today and we will be just 3 points from the automatics.

The curse of travelling north has struck and we trail 1-0 at Moss Rose.

A lot to do second half we must win today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:00 - Feb 16 with 746 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 15:50 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

The curse of travelling north has struck and we trail 1-0 at Moss Rose.

A lot to do second half we must win today.

Up the U's

Let's hope they go ultra defensive ... like we are unable to do.

Wow, couldn't have a better start to 2nd half. 1-1
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 16:09]
Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:08 - Feb 16 with 740 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:00 - Feb 16 by gerry_us

Let's hope they go ultra defensive ... like we are unable to do.

Wow, couldn't have a better start to 2nd half. 1-1
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 16:09]

Frank Nouble pen 1-1

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:19 - Feb 16 with 731 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:08 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Frank Nouble pen 1-1

Come on the U's

JM has brought Tom Eastman and Diaz Wright on. I do hope that he has not gone too defensive.

I suspect that we will secure a second goal but nothing can be left to chance.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:22 - Feb 16 with 729 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:19 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

JM has brought Tom Eastman and Diaz Wright on. I do hope that he has not gone too defensive.

I suspect that we will secure a second goal but nothing can be left to chance.

Up the U's

Comment of the day Yeovil have Alcock and Brown but they're not flying!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:34 - Feb 16 with 721 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:22 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Comment of the day Yeovil have Alcock and Brown but they're not flying!

Up the U's

Absolutely vital to secure the three points today.

Last 18 minutes or so.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:57 - Feb 16 with 712 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 16:34 - Feb 16 by durham_exile

Absolutely vital to secure the three points today.

Last 18 minutes or so.

Come on the U's

Two points dropped today but with a glass half full hat on it could be a vital point at the end of the season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 17:06 - Feb 16 with 705 viewsgerry_us

Eisa off...Eastman on at start of second half.
Can someone, anyone, explain the philosophy for this incomprehensible change when you are 1-0 down, unless Eisa was injured, and then he still should have replaced by another attacker.
Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 18:02 - Feb 16 with 682 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 17:06 - Feb 16 by gerry_us

Eisa off...Eastman on at start of second half.
Can someone, anyone, explain the philosophy for this incomprehensible change when you are 1-0 down, unless Eisa was injured, and then he still should have replaced by another attacker.

I think it was to switch to three at the back and bring the wing-backs more into the game. It probably didn't work as we would have liked, but to be honest I knew today was going to be a tough game against a team who I think are now better than their position suggests. On balance, Macc probably deserved to win, so I'm content with the point.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 18:34 - Feb 16 with 669 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 18:02 - Feb 16 by wessex_exile

I think it was to switch to three at the back and bring the wing-backs more into the game. It probably didn't work as we would have liked, but to be honest I knew today was going to be a tough game against a team who I think are now better than their position suggests. On balance, Macc probably deserved to win, so I'm content with the point.

Going to three at the back when you are 1-0 down at halftime smacks of a very negative attitude though.
Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 19:12 - Feb 16 with 655 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 18:34 - Feb 16 by gerry_us

Going to three at the back when you are 1-0 down at halftime smacks of a very negative attitude though.

I was more concerned that the enforced change when Lapslie was forced off meant that JM couldn't bring Luke Norris on for the last 20 minutes.

Ben Stevenson is also having hamstring problems and so we must be careful especially with Pell out at present.

Things will be clearer later in the week before we establish who is fit when the Cumbrians come to Town next weekend.

Having now watched the highlights Courtney Senior made another impressive run into the box which led to the penalty award.

Up the U's
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 19:14]

Durham_exile

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 19:53 - Feb 16 with 634 viewsnoah4x4

On bus back.....

Going three at the back had a postive effect allowing both Jackson and KVY to get forward. We looked a different side in the second half . In the first half the Silkmen's defensive diamond on a narrow pitch stifled us and we were repeatedly out hussled and out muscled whilst a lenient referee gave our skilful players no protection. Szmodics, Eisa and Senior were being kicked off their feet.

McGreal did exactly the right thing by replacing Eisa and pushing the more robust wing backs forward. They had three very tall attackers and Eastnan helped negate that threat. Pitch not conducive for good football, but we played some lovely stuff after the interval. On reflection, I am happy with a point based on this being a game of two halves. We can't win them all and we moved a point closer to the auto positions, and a point further ahead of the pack behind.
Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 20:09 - Feb 16 with 626 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to get the Silkmen in a spin at Moss Rose on 19:53 - Feb 16 by noah4x4

On bus back.....

Going three at the back had a postive effect allowing both Jackson and KVY to get forward. We looked a different side in the second half . In the first half the Silkmen's defensive diamond on a narrow pitch stifled us and we were repeatedly out hussled and out muscled whilst a lenient referee gave our skilful players no protection. Szmodics, Eisa and Senior were being kicked off their feet.

McGreal did exactly the right thing by replacing Eisa and pushing the more robust wing backs forward. They had three very tall attackers and Eastnan helped negate that threat. Pitch not conducive for good football, but we played some lovely stuff after the interval. On reflection, I am happy with a point based on this being a game of two halves. We can't win them all and we moved a point closer to the auto positions, and a point further ahead of the pack behind.

Thanks for your clarification Noah.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024