Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 07:44 - May 7 with 19268 viewsbwildered

U's rumours ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 08:56 - May 7 with 5772 viewsdurham_exile

bwildered - don't do that to me I thought there would be a list of comings and goings to salivate over!!!!!

Now that Abo Eisa has returned to his parent club attention should fall on his brother Mo Eisa who was prolific at Cheltenham went to Bristol City and has only played 5 games.

A striker who does know where the goal is.

Also we should raid Notts County for Kane Hemings before anyone else does.

I'm not fussed about other transfers but we must secure the services of a striker.

Oh and Chuck Norris, Mika Mandron, Dillon Barnes can all go and if we can get £750k for Sammie Szmodics he should be allowed to join Hull City.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 14:31 - May 7 with 5736 viewsMoor_Pinot

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 08:56 - May 7 by durham_exile

bwildered - don't do that to me I thought there would be a list of comings and goings to salivate over!!!!!

Now that Abo Eisa has returned to his parent club attention should fall on his brother Mo Eisa who was prolific at Cheltenham went to Bristol City and has only played 5 games.

A striker who does know where the goal is.

Also we should raid Notts County for Kane Hemings before anyone else does.

I'm not fussed about other transfers but we must secure the services of a striker.

Oh and Chuck Norris, Mika Mandron, Dillon Barnes can all go and if we can get £750k for Sammie Szmodics he should be allowed to join Hull City.

Up the U's

Firstly Durham, brilliant report on t'other thread and I am glad you saw a decent performance let alone an actual win!! If anyone deserves it....
With snow falling outside and my plants protected for the 3 frosts that followed I watched the game on i-f again. It was certainly one of our best 3 or 4 performances this season and of course on reflection highlit what we've all been saying. This season has frustrated at best and infuriated at worst. Reason? Because we should have gone up. Our squad was good enough and come November so was our place in the league.

As supporters we have every right to be frustrated of course and in 56 years with the U's maybe my own frustration grows with the diminishing years I have left. But that aside I actually feel justified this time in being pretty cross. 8th marks another season of no progress and given the squad quality about which most of us seem to agree, you could call it a continuation of the decline. Mr Cowling seems so content with so small a return on his huge investment. I'd be livid at the waste this time round. Our coaching staff should not be too proud of their achievements, there is scant growth in their end product. To my mind, they are out of their depth. Lincoln went up - and I remind you, we all thought they would last August - with a group of footballers no better than ours by any stretch of the imagination. Indeed I will hazard a guess that Wessex is right when he suggests that their squad could well struggle at league 1 level. Our lot wouldn't have. Lincoln went up because they had managerial nouse and experience, as well as tactics and a culture that our club simply has not.

SO, Durham....as you ponder on those INs and OUTs which might give us all positivity come August I end the season concerned. We have no divine right to keep finishing 8th or to improve on it and since we couldn't with current squad I am not at all hopeful that I will feel optimistic next time. I do not think this "in house only" methodology works in a tiny club like ours, it certainly does not produce football managers who know how to adapt to need and can spot when one form of playing the game has been rumbled by oppositions. All you get is the inconsistency which MFB refers to as being our biggest let-down...........once again.

Realistically, I feel we will lose KVY, probably Kent [because he's good enough], Barnes [because he isn't], Sammie and maybe Senior [to a club with coaches who can teach him how to control a football with his first touch and how to be aware of his team mates - at both of these skills he is our worst player].

With those gone - and maybe others - we have a nucleus upon which we must build and strengthen.

I am not sure I agree with you Durham on Norris - is he a sick note or is he just still unfit from the Swindon injury? Up until then I'd thought him a proper centre forward who would have benefitted even more from a sidekick who could find him and supply...................and here we have a second point where I am not sure I agree with you...........that player is Mandron. But Mandron wasn't played with Norris. Mandron has the highest skill levels of our squad, is the only one who can hold up the ball, tracks back defensively very well and is the best at knowing where team mates are................even Sammie!! But Mandron hasn't been played in a position behind a frontman often enough for the latter to benefit. Our mistake. Mandron isn't a centre-forward so he's sat on the bench. Yes, you may be right Durham, & he will be released [his contract ends on 17 July] but I would hang on to both those two.

We also have never found out how Gondoh & Junior would fare in the league; their U23 performances were well documented and yet we have not tried to grow this product. Maybe we should.

I agree with posters wanting to offer Saunders a year - he's no Kevin Watson but he has more about him than the worthy and hard-working Lapslie - but sadly he is 36. But someone needs to work alongside Pell to bring the best out of him. He lost his way around that fateful Carlisle fixture.

So, we still have some good players who could well be here next season [like Pell and Eastman], we still have some decent ones too, like Jackson and Nouble, we may even have found a goalkeeper in Ross; I tell myself things are not all bad. I am just still infuriated and need to wait!

But.....a team of:- Ross - Jackson, Eastman, Kensdale [or Kent if...] & a new left back to replace KVY [but...please NOT Dickinson] - Pell, Saunders, Dickinson [or Gondoh.....or Stevenson if he can be bothered to play properly again] - Mandron - Nouble & Junior [or maybe Sherriff...or the youngster who played at Exeter Miller] playing in a 4-3-1-2 formation doesn't look too awful at the moment.

Of course, come August much will be different, I accept that, it's just that right now I am furious at how we've wasted this year.....................an emotion only accentuated by the performance at Lincoln.

Up the stagnant U's.

Moor Pinot

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 17:49 - May 7 with 5718 viewsgerry_us

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 14:31 - May 7 by Moor_Pinot

Firstly Durham, brilliant report on t'other thread and I am glad you saw a decent performance let alone an actual win!! If anyone deserves it....
With snow falling outside and my plants protected for the 3 frosts that followed I watched the game on i-f again. It was certainly one of our best 3 or 4 performances this season and of course on reflection highlit what we've all been saying. This season has frustrated at best and infuriated at worst. Reason? Because we should have gone up. Our squad was good enough and come November so was our place in the league.

As supporters we have every right to be frustrated of course and in 56 years with the U's maybe my own frustration grows with the diminishing years I have left. But that aside I actually feel justified this time in being pretty cross. 8th marks another season of no progress and given the squad quality about which most of us seem to agree, you could call it a continuation of the decline. Mr Cowling seems so content with so small a return on his huge investment. I'd be livid at the waste this time round. Our coaching staff should not be too proud of their achievements, there is scant growth in their end product. To my mind, they are out of their depth. Lincoln went up - and I remind you, we all thought they would last August - with a group of footballers no better than ours by any stretch of the imagination. Indeed I will hazard a guess that Wessex is right when he suggests that their squad could well struggle at league 1 level. Our lot wouldn't have. Lincoln went up because they had managerial nouse and experience, as well as tactics and a culture that our club simply has not.

SO, Durham....as you ponder on those INs and OUTs which might give us all positivity come August I end the season concerned. We have no divine right to keep finishing 8th or to improve on it and since we couldn't with current squad I am not at all hopeful that I will feel optimistic next time. I do not think this "in house only" methodology works in a tiny club like ours, it certainly does not produce football managers who know how to adapt to need and can spot when one form of playing the game has been rumbled by oppositions. All you get is the inconsistency which MFB refers to as being our biggest let-down...........once again.

Realistically, I feel we will lose KVY, probably Kent [because he's good enough], Barnes [because he isn't], Sammie and maybe Senior [to a club with coaches who can teach him how to control a football with his first touch and how to be aware of his team mates - at both of these skills he is our worst player].

With those gone - and maybe others - we have a nucleus upon which we must build and strengthen.

I am not sure I agree with you Durham on Norris - is he a sick note or is he just still unfit from the Swindon injury? Up until then I'd thought him a proper centre forward who would have benefitted even more from a sidekick who could find him and supply...................and here we have a second point where I am not sure I agree with you...........that player is Mandron. But Mandron wasn't played with Norris. Mandron has the highest skill levels of our squad, is the only one who can hold up the ball, tracks back defensively very well and is the best at knowing where team mates are................even Sammie!! But Mandron hasn't been played in a position behind a frontman often enough for the latter to benefit. Our mistake. Mandron isn't a centre-forward so he's sat on the bench. Yes, you may be right Durham, & he will be released [his contract ends on 17 July] but I would hang on to both those two.

We also have never found out how Gondoh & Junior would fare in the league; their U23 performances were well documented and yet we have not tried to grow this product. Maybe we should.

I agree with posters wanting to offer Saunders a year - he's no Kevin Watson but he has more about him than the worthy and hard-working Lapslie - but sadly he is 36. But someone needs to work alongside Pell to bring the best out of him. He lost his way around that fateful Carlisle fixture.

So, we still have some good players who could well be here next season [like Pell and Eastman], we still have some decent ones too, like Jackson and Nouble, we may even have found a goalkeeper in Ross; I tell myself things are not all bad. I am just still infuriated and need to wait!

But.....a team of:- Ross - Jackson, Eastman, Kensdale [or Kent if...] & a new left back to replace KVY [but...please NOT Dickinson] - Pell, Saunders, Dickinson [or Gondoh.....or Stevenson if he can be bothered to play properly again] - Mandron - Nouble & Junior [or maybe Sherriff...or the youngster who played at Exeter Miller] playing in a 4-3-1-2 formation doesn't look too awful at the moment.

Of course, come August much will be different, I accept that, it's just that right now I am furious at how we've wasted this year.....................an emotion only accentuated by the performance at Lincoln.

Up the stagnant U's.

Wow...I bet you feel better now Pinault!
Have to agree with everything you say. If we continue with McGreal we will also continue with being the ultimate under achievers.
Top of those that fail is not good enough.
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 18:32 - May 7 with 5709 viewsMoor_Pinot

Yes Gerry, I did feel a bit better!!
Going to cover me geraniums now - it's minus two!

Moor Pinot

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 20:33 - May 7 with 5684 viewsFruitbat

From a combination of Laittys website and Transfermarkt, contracts up, for those who've been in or around the first team, this summer are:

Barnes
Chilvers (offered a deal in December, not signed)
Dickinson
Eastman
Gilmartin
Gondoh
Mandron
Junior
Saunders
Szmodics
Wright

Junior is on loan in Ireland until his contract expiry, I don't expect he'll get another one. Gondoh made one start (3 subs) on loan at Halifax so I don't see him getting one either. Incidentally, Halifax released Sanmi Odelusi this week.
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 21:50 - May 7 with 5666 viewsdurham_exile

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 14:31 - May 7 by Moor_Pinot

Up the stagnant U's.

Pinault look after those Geraniums and other non frosthardy plants.

I fully support your assertion concerning our management or lack of it.

I do however stand by my thoughts on Mika Mandron and Chuck Norris.

Earlier in the season when we were playing like automatic promotion candidates we went to Oldham and were coasting at 3-1 up and Norris was unplayable. The wheels fell off late in the second half and we conceded two late goals.

After his injury he has made several appearances mainly as sub but he played at Exeter and he was awful, second to everything, looked unfit and also didn't seem bothered.

He has made 21 appearances 13 as sub and scored 7 goals (only league counted).

Mika Mandron similarly since signing in July 17 has made 58 appearances including 27 as sub and has scored 12 goals.

Mandron looks the complete footballer tall, athletic and holds the ball up well but he was obtained as a striker and simply doesn't convert enough chances. On Saturday he should have scored after 9 minutes and this sums up his forward play. High wide and not very handsome.

Now don't get me wrong I thought that signing Norris was a master stroke at the beginning of the season but whether as a result of injury or fitness or laziness he has not performed.

Mandron equally has been disappointing and that is why he failed to make the grade at Sunderland.
Kurtis Guthrie was a similar player but he fell out with the management and left on poor terms and has become our nemesis whenever we play Stevenage.

Whatever happens we need to sign someone who knows where the goal is and who can convert chances to win matches at this level.

We hopefully will see the level of intent this summer shown by the chairman and the management and I truly hope we can retain the services of our starlets.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 09:04 - May 8 with 5632 viewsburnsieespana

According to folk at the Ipswich end of season dinner Gerks said he had a contract lined up with another club. Hope to hell it is not us!
Pinault you need to move as yesterday here in inland Spain it was 28c so not a sign of "Frost but my Geranium's need constant watering to keep them flowering.
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 12:11 - May 8 with 5606 viewsMoor_Pinot

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 09:04 - May 8 by burnsieespana

According to folk at the Ipswich end of season dinner Gerks said he had a contract lined up with another club. Hope to hell it is not us!
Pinault you need to move as yesterday here in inland Spain it was 28c so not a sign of "Frost but my Geranium's need constant watering to keep them flowering.

28....cor you so and so Jon!
It's 8 today.

I will move Jon................................the house is up for sale. Already taking your advice, but I cannot speak Spanish!! So, we are heading westwards when the house sells, to the Vendée which has the second most amount of sun in France and no snow or frosts.
I shall also be a season ticketholder at VHF when that happens. 'Vendée Herbiers Fut' are at the same level as the U's [altho' unlike the U's they are top and likely to be promoted to our Lg 1 equivalent.] - and they are possibly even known in the UK because of last season's amazing run to the final of the French FA Cup where they only lost 2-0 to PSG.

No need to water my geraniums either - absolutely belting down outside my studio at the mo! 28 degrees......we get that in June July and August not in May. You have it right methinks !!

I can do without Gerken - Ross looked OK.

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 20:33 - May 13 with 5444 viewsburnsieespana

Going to be a long summer as see the transfer window will not shut until the 2nd of September!
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 17:13 - May 14 with 5383 viewsFruitbat

U23s have been culled this afternoon. Leaving are:

David Agboola, Aaron Barnes, George Brown, Ken Charles, Noah Chesmain, Chris Forino, Arjanit Krasniqi, Eoin McKeown, Paul Rooney, Decarrey Sheriff, Sam Warde, Will Wright
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 12:26 - May 18 with 5214 viewsdurham_exile

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 17:13 - May 14 by Fruitbat

U23s have been culled this afternoon. Leaving are:

David Agboola, Aaron Barnes, George Brown, Ken Charles, Noah Chesmain, Chris Forino, Arjanit Krasniqi, Eoin McKeown, Paul Rooney, Decarrey Sheriff, Sam Warde, Will Wright

Kwame Poku has joined the U's from Worthing. Apparently a talented young midfield player.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 15:50 - May 18 with 5189 viewsLeadbelly

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 12:26 - May 18 by durham_exile

Kwame Poku has joined the U's from Worthing. Apparently a talented young midfield player.

Up the U's

I assume that’s a signing for the now depleted U23s rather than the first XI.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 16:13 - May 18 with 5186 viewsgerry_us

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 15:50 - May 18 by Leadbelly

I assume that’s a signing for the now depleted U23s rather than the first XI.

Regrettably McGreal wouldn't recognise talent if a lorry load dropped on him...think Macca Bonne for instance!
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 18:09 - May 18 with 5169 viewsFruitbat

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 12:26 - May 18 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Apparently been coached by Bobby Bowry. Bet he can pick a sideways pass.
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 19:28 - May 18 with 5160 viewsLeadbelly

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 18:09 - May 18 by Fruitbat

Apparently been coached by Bobby Bowry. Bet he can pick a sideways pass.

Good at pointing too I expect.

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 23:37 - May 18 with 5113 viewsdurham_exile

Sammie Szmodics looks set to go to Ashton Gate.

In that case can we have Mo Eisa in return plus cash.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 12:50 - May 20 with 5004 viewsLeadbelly

Mandron and Gondoh are off according to the OWS.

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 13:54 - May 20 with 4992 viewsdurham_exile

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 12:50 - May 20 by Leadbelly

LB I think I can only ever remember seeing Gondoh play about 20 minutes for the U's.

I predicted Mika Mandron to go, he simply doesn't know how to score goals and we need a striker to translate chances into goals.

Not happy though about the return of Gerken, seems a retrograde step to me.

Up the depleted U's

Durham_exile

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 14:03 - May 20 with 4990 viewsLeadbelly

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 13:54 - May 20 by durham_exile

LB I think I can only ever remember seeing Gondoh play about 20 minutes for the U's.

I predicted Mika Mandron to go, he simply doesn't know how to score goals and we need a striker to translate chances into goals.

Not happy though about the return of Gerken, seems a retrograde step to me.

Up the depleted U's

Hi Durham,

Whilst Gerken's release from the SUTR is confirmed and his possible return to Col U has been discussed I've not seen anything to say that's happened. Admittedly I'm not looking very hard so it may be out there somewhere!

WB

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 18:28 - May 20 with 4942 viewsFruitbat

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 14:03 - May 20 by Leadbelly

Hi Durham,

Whilst Gerken's release from the SUTR is confirmed and his possible return to Col U has been discussed I've not seen anything to say that's happened. Admittedly I'm not looking very hard so it may be out there somewhere!

WB

The only source for this appears to be made up rumour internet sites so I give it no credence. Indeed, that the official line today has been "everyone who isn't Mandron or Gondoh has been made an offer" suggets McGreal thinks Barnes and Gilmartin are good enough. They're not, but offering them both new contracts rather implies that a new keeper isn't a priority.
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 06:31 - May 21 with 4860 viewsLeadbelly

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 18:28 - May 20 by Fruitbat

The only source for this appears to be made up rumour internet sites so I give it no credence. Indeed, that the official line today has been "everyone who isn't Mandron or Gondoh has been made an offer" suggets McGreal thinks Barnes and Gilmartin are good enough. They're not, but offering them both new contracts rather implies that a new keeper isn't a priority.

A new ‘keeper may not be a priority for the decision makers but i’d suggest it really should be.

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 07:52 - May 21 with 4855 viewswessex_exile

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 12:50 - May 20 by Leadbelly

Sourced from Jon Waldron’s Gazette article, in which he also suggests we have an option to extend Sammie’s contract too - is the plot thickening?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 16:13 - May 22 with 4736 viewsburnsieespana

Seen no rumours even on my usual sites I check about possible ins and outs but suppose early yet and going to be a long summer with the extended window!
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 10:51 - May 24 with 4650 viewsFruitbat

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 18:28 - May 20 by Fruitbat

Told you.......

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/17657953.colchester-united-aim-for-more-sta
Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 12:26 - May 24 with 4636 viewsburnsieespana

Ins, Outs and Maybe's - 2019 on 10:51 - May 24 by Fruitbat

Told you.......

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/17657953.colchester-united-aim-for-more-sta

I don't know how much of this is media conclusions but way I read it is, JMc does not totally rule out bringing somebody else in and moving one or more of the existing keepers on. I suppose Barnes might not resign but unless his Agent has an ace up the sleeve can't see him not doing so. At least JMc to my mind whilst extolling the 19 clean sheets is also acknowledging the need to have a number one keeper.
Think this yet has some distance to go although personally would not want Gerkin back as never thought much of himm apart from a shot stopper and was stunned when we were able to sell him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024