Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
East Anglian Daily Times 15:39 - Jul 3 with 1381 viewsLeadbelly

I buy the EADT Monday to Friday to read on the train to work and it's been very noticeable since the end of last season that coverage of the Us have declined to almost nothing. The last two headlines are as follows:

20 May - Mandron & Gondoh released by Us

27 June - Szmodic's 16 year stay at Colchester is finally over

Not a word on the Us between those dates nor since, despite a flurry (by Col U standards) of transfer activity in the last few days. Carl Marston keeps reporting on his park runs though!

Needless to say there is no shortage of "stories" about our relegated neighbours, although there has been very little to report in terms of actual events down on the farm. Also plenty of column inches about local non-league football.

Just wonder whether anyone else had noticed? Perhaps the club fallen out with the EADT? Or vice versa?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

East Anglian Daily Times on 16:46 - Jul 3 with 1368 viewsdurham_exile

LB Many years ago I too whilst commuting to London used to read the EADT and in my experience they have always favoured the Suffolk fiends over the super U's.

The Daily Gazette and Essex County Standard have always given better coverage of Colchester.

In those halcyon days of 2006/7 and 2007/8 I wonder what the percentage coverage was like?

As I have been a Durham exile for many years I rarely get to read the local East Anglian papers now.

Now that ITFC are languishing in league one I suspect they will receive reduced coverage especially as unlike their more illustrious neighbours they will be playing Accrington, Blackpool, Gillingham and Scummend rather than Chelsea, West Ham et al.

Now signing a 20 goal per season striker might redress the column inch imbalance. Kane Hemmings anyone

UTU's

Durham_exile

East Anglian Daily Times on 17:19 - Jul 3 with 1356 viewsbwildered

Only buy the weekend edition of EADT , but the sports website page is a exactly the same . The Carl Marston features have recently been regards visits to local non league grounds .
Notice also Suffolk Minor Counties Cricket side also seems a lack of information and features .
But totally agree LB .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

East Anglian Daily Times on 17:42 - Jul 3 with 1351 viewsLeadbelly

Durham & BW,

Granted the Farmers have always been given greater coverage but it really feels like Col U have almost been forgotten over the past couple of months.

The two stories mentioned are the only ones printed in the last 6 weeks.Departures and signings, both players and coaches, have received zero coverage. Somewhat different to previous seasons.

I shall work on a conspiracy theory explanation!

East Anglian Daily Times on 17:56 - Jul 3 with 1347 viewsdurham_exile

East Anglian Daily Times on 17:42 - Jul 3 by Leadbelly

Durham & BW,

Granted the Farmers have always been given greater coverage but it really feels like Col U have almost been forgotten over the past couple of months.

The two stories mentioned are the only ones printed in the last 6 weeks.Departures and signings, both players and coaches, have received zero coverage. Somewhat different to previous seasons.

I shall work on a conspiracy theory explanation!

LB & BW
Have just looked at the EADT sports section and it is interesting that their target player from Bury Danny Mayor preferred to sign for Plymouth over the Poorman Road outfit.

Sign of the times.

Totally agree their Colchester coverage is lamentable.

Perhaps we will meet them in league one for 2020/21 season.

UTU's

Durham_exile

East Anglian Daily Times on 21:02 - Jul 3 with 1316 viewsLeadbelly

East Anglian Daily Times on 17:56 - Jul 3 by durham_exile

LB & BW
Have just looked at the EADT sports section and it is interesting that their target player from Bury Danny Mayor preferred to sign for Plymouth over the Poorman Road outfit.

Sign of the times.

Totally agree their Colchester coverage is lamentable.

Perhaps we will meet them in league one for 2020/21 season.

UTU's

Plymouth now managed by the former Bury manager so known quantity for all concerned.

East Anglian Daily Times on 22:50 - Jul 3 with 1298 viewsGOSBTS

Since moving to Suffolk in November I buy the weekend edition of the EADT every Saturday and occasionally the Friday/Monday edition. I can’t comment on how the coverage used to be, but I’d agree that it really is an Ipswich Town newspaper with a smattering of Col U every now and then. We get a double page preview (mostly) at the weekend during the season, but the Tractor Boys get about 8 pages. Have recently started to buy the County Standard in addition which I am really enjoying as I get to know Colchester.

On the plus side the weekend puzzles feature is cracking.
East Anglian Daily Times on 17:18 - Jul 5 with 1243 viewsLeadbelly

Five new signings this week and not a word in the EADT. I think something very odd is going on so I've emailed the sports editor to request an explanation.

East Anglian Daily Times on 20:40 - Jul 5 with 1227 viewsdurham_exile

East Anglian Daily Times on 17:18 - Jul 5 by Leadbelly

Five new signings this week and not a word in the EADT. I think something very odd is going on so I've emailed the sports editor to request an explanation.

LB I will be very interested to read his reply and explanation for the dearth of Colchester news.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

East Anglian Daily Times on 14:47 - Jul 6 with 1200 viewsLeadbelly

East Anglian Daily Times on 20:40 - Jul 5 by durham_exile

LB I will be very interested to read his reply and explanation for the dearth of Colchester news.

UTU's

I had an “out of office” reply but he is back on Monday. I’ll keep you posted.

East Anglian Daily Times on 16:43 - Jul 6 with 1189 viewsgerry_us

East Anglian Daily Times on 14:47 - Jul 6 by Leadbelly

I had an “out of office” reply but he is back on Monday. I’ll keep you posted.

I always used "out of office" if someone asked a question I couldn't or wouldn't answer. Amazing how long you can be out of the office though!
East Anglian Daily Times on 17:15 - Jul 6 with 1183 viewsbwildered

Impression is they are naturally behind Paul Lambert's Tractor Boys cakewalk to promotion campaign, now they are a big fish in a small pond .
Cherry on the top, also Chuckaturd Trophy Champions ( do you get to put one of the stars above your club badge for that one ).

East Anglian Daily Times on 12:03 - Jul 7 with 1133 viewswessex_exile

East Anglian Daily Times on 17:15 - Jul 6 by bwildered

Impression is they are naturally behind Paul Lambert's Tractor Boys cakewalk to promotion campaign, now they are a big fish in a small pond .
Cherry on the top, also Chuckaturd Trophy Champions ( do you get to put one of the stars above your club badge for that one ).

1st round of the FA Cup too :-)

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

East Anglian Daily Times on 15:44 - Jul 8 with 1085 viewsLeadbelly

Response just received as follows:

Thanks for your e-mail.

You are, of course, right to note that our U's coverage has dropped recently. Let me explain why.

Basically, we've been tasked with doing more of the content which performs well online - ie gets most page views - while cutting, or in some cases dropping, the stuff which isn't very well read.

Unfortunately, and perhaps surprisingly, Colchester United content is very poorly read and thus we've taken the decision that we can no longer justify covering the club full-time when so many other sports/teams attract greater interest from our readers.

I appreciate that's not what you want to hear, but hopefully you also appreciate my being open with you as to the reasoning.

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch,

Wonder what the coverage will be like when the season starts?

East Anglian Daily Times on 16:16 - Jul 8 with 1080 viewsdurham_exile

East Anglian Daily Times on 15:44 - Jul 8 by Leadbelly

Response just received as follows:

Thanks for your e-mail.

You are, of course, right to note that our U's coverage has dropped recently. Let me explain why.

Basically, we've been tasked with doing more of the content which performs well online - ie gets most page views - while cutting, or in some cases dropping, the stuff which isn't very well read.

Unfortunately, and perhaps surprisingly, Colchester United content is very poorly read and thus we've taken the decision that we can no longer justify covering the club full-time when so many other sports/teams attract greater interest from our readers.

I appreciate that's not what you want to hear, but hopefully you also appreciate my being open with you as to the reasoning.

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch,

Wonder what the coverage will be like when the season starts?

LB what a crock of shite that is.

I suppose bog snorkelling, croquet and tiddlywinks rates higher on the so what index.

No one likes us, but we don't care! Shades of Millwall

UTU's

Durham_exile

East Anglian Daily Times on 21:25 - Jul 8 with 1060 viewsburnsieespana

We should boycot the Eadt.
Never read such a load of s###e from an organisation wanting us to buy it's product.
East Anglian Daily Times on 22:23 - Jul 8 with 1053 viewsGOSBTS

On the one hand it’s nice that you got a response, and a sincere one at that. I’ve submitted an article to them twice and didn’t even get a response to acknowledge my efforts or even reject it.

On the other, click bait should be irrelevant when marketing themselves as a paper covering Suffolk and Norrh Essex. Especially when the copies they sell have Essex written on the banner underneath the title! You cannot claim to cover North Essex and yet refuse to even write a paragraph of news about their main football team. I’ll reserve further judgement until the season begins to see the fruits of their “part-time” coverage of us.
East Anglian Daily Times on 19:33 - Jul 16 with 949 viewsdurham_exile

East Anglian Daily Times on 22:23 - Jul 8 by GOSBTS

On the one hand it’s nice that you got a response, and a sincere one at that. I’ve submitted an article to them twice and didn’t even get a response to acknowledge my efforts or even reject it.

On the other, click bait should be irrelevant when marketing themselves as a paper covering Suffolk and Norrh Essex. Especially when the copies they sell have Essex written on the banner underneath the title! You cannot claim to cover North Essex and yet refuse to even write a paragraph of news about their main football team. I’ll reserve further judgement until the season begins to see the fruits of their “part-time” coverage of us.

Another deluded article from the EADT, despite what they may wish to ask the readership to accept that the frost has melted between the two teams, that is a view that I do not accept.

I loathe the Poorman Road side and would dearly love to see them struggle in league one this season especially under the stewardship of the traitor Lambert.

Enough said.

UTU's

Durham_exile

East Anglian Daily Times on 20:10 - Jul 16 with 944 viewsbwildered

Like LB , I also emailed the sports editor and got the exact reply. Strange that, on the website page the Gerken signing was headed a most read article.
Looks like the Gazette website has upped the ante on U's news .

East Anglian Daily Times on 21:22 - Jul 16 with 927 viewsGOSBTS

East Anglian Daily Times on 19:33 - Jul 16 by durham_exile

Another deluded article from the EADT, despite what they may wish to ask the readership to accept that the frost has melted between the two teams, that is a view that I do not accept.

I loathe the Poorman Road side and would dearly love to see them struggle in league one this season especially under the stewardship of the traitor Lambert.

Enough said.

UTU's

Very good point. The writer doesn't actually cite any evidence for the frost having melted from either team's sets of fans either!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024