Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matches of Yesteryear 16:11 - Aug 2 with 959 viewswessex_exile

Although not an avid collector, I recently catalogued my collection of football memorabilia and I have 175 items, mostly programmes, some fanzines, and a few ticket stubs which aren’t accompanied by anything else. I have no idea how many more may have been misplaced during house moves, clear-outs etc., but the collection spans nearly 30 years (the earliest is the programme from our 1990 Boxing Day game against Barnet at Layer Rd), and is almost universally Colchester United related (though not quite all of it). I have decided to try and put this to some use, by choosing one at random prior to each match and writing a short article about the match, maybe the programme, and even any personal recollections I have of the game (notwithstanding enforced enfeeblement due to excessive libation). I will try and do this ahead of each game this season, but my apologies in advance if I don’t quite achieve that.

Remarkably, for the first post, my random number generator has selected a match that pretty much all of us will be very familiar with indeed.

Colchester United v Preston North End
Sunday 3rd May 2015
League 1 (3rd tier)
Attendance 8,413

So, to the last match of the 2014/15 season, and Colchester United needing close to a miracle to survive relegation. We’d been in the relegation zone pretty much constantly since November, so we not only had to win, but also rely on at least two of the following: Crawley and Notts County getting only a point at most, and Crewe losing! Preston, on the other hand, were still in the hunt for automatic promotion behind Bristol City, and just one point ahead of MK Dons in the play-offs, so they needed to be certain as well.

It was a beautiful May day, and me and my youngest drove over for this match. Needless to say, Preston had arrived in good numbers, and packed out the North Stand and adjacent E1 and E2, but the U’s faithful had also risen to the challenge, and there weren’t too many spare seats around the ground by kick-off. As with any game with so much riding on it, it wasn’t a game to sit back, relax and enjoy, and certainly not one for meticulous note-taking. All I can remember for pretty much all of the game was the tension. I remember Jacob Murphy’s deft lob over the advancing Preston goalkeeper Johnstone, but I didn’t realise how close it was until I saw it later online, and the same ‘keeper then palming away a pile-driver from Brindley. At half-time, the only goal in all three games was an opener for Bradford City at Crewe, and whilst that certainly helped, it wasn’t going to be enough on its own.

Half-time was spent still fretting, double-checking all the possible permutations, and praying — all of which was undone early in the second half when the news filtered through that Crawley had taken the lead at home to Coventry City, and the U’s were staring down the barrel of relegation. However, in the 56th minute we were thrown a lifeline — Moncur was bought down in the box, the referee had no hesitation pointing to the spot (though it looked a soft decision to me), and up stepped Chris Porter. This would be the goal that could save us as results stood — however, legend has it that Porter’s spot-kick blazed over the bar is still rising!

To add insult to injury, just five minutes later we learned that Notts County had also taken the lead, 1-0 at Gillingham. To compound our woes, it had been clear all match that we were up against a formidable team in Preston North End, and with MK Dons going bat-shit crazy at home to Yeovil (4-0 up at half-time), Preston knew they had to win and were pressing us relentlessly. Amongst this, Eastman’s last-ditch sliding tackle on Beckford to deny Preston the opener was something the late great Bobby Moore would have been proud of, and simply world class.

Slowly though, inexorably, the tide started to turn in our favour — we were more than holding Preston, we were actually starting to apply real pressure. News then filtered through that Coventry had equalised at Crawley and Crewe were still losing — all we had to do was get a winner and hold on…

…and then up stepped Porter in the 82nd minute — the villain barely 25 minutes earlier, to beautifully chest down in the box a flighted cross from (who — can’t remember?), and serve up on a plate a deft pass to Moncur, who calmly slotted pass the ‘keeper to send the U’s faithful berserk!! I for one have never seen scenes like it at the Community Stadium. In truth, it was only an outstretched foot from Johnstone that prevented Szmodics from making it 2-0 following a slide-rule pass behind the back line from Sembe-Ferris. That wasn’t to say I was relaxed, and six minutes of injury time whilst Preston threw the kitchen sink at us didn’t help, but Crawley turning things around to get a second and win 2-1 at Crawley, as did Gillingham — losing 1-0 in the 88th minute, but eventually beating Notts County 3-1 at full-time (including goals from Luke Norris and Brennan Dickenson). The referee finally blew his whistle, fans poured on to the pitch, and I could let the blessed relief sweep over me — whoever would have thought not quite being rubbish enough for relegation could be the cause of so much celebration!

Colchester United 1 (Moncur) v Preston North End 0

In the end, Crawley and Notts County were relegated (along with Leyton Orient and Yeovil), Bristol City and MK Dons were promoted, but Preston were justifiably rewarded with promotion via the play-offs. This result was probably a significant factor in Tony Humes staying on as our manager, albeit only until November of the following season.

[Post edited 2 Aug 2019 16:12]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Matches of Yesteryear on 17:00 - Aug 2 with 937 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Love this Wessex! Has there been a more memorable or signifcant match at the Community Stadium? And I still can't believe that tackle from Eastman even now.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Matches of Yesteryear on 17:15 - Aug 2 with 928 viewsdurham_exile

Great idea Wessex. I look forward to reading these personal recollections with interest.

I too was at the PNE game.
Classic stuff

UTU's

Durham_exile

Matches of Yesteryear on 22:43 - Aug 2 with 893 viewsnoah4x4

Super idea Wessex.

I collect cricket memorabilia, but have a few footie items. My most ridiculous is a framed 1 inch square of a John Terry of Chelsea (match worn) Champions League shirt that was cut up into pieces for a charity auction. It comes with a certificate identifying its original location (over right shoulder blade).

Given what it cost me for a mere 1" square of torn cloth (my defence - I was in a drunken stupor and thought I was getting the entire shirt!) Cancer Research UK did pretty well from this item.

As a means to encourage other contributors between matches of yesterday....most bizarre item of memorabilia in one's collection?
Matches of Yesteryear on 23:43 - Aug 2 with 888 viewsGOSBTS

Fantastic idea Wessex. As a relatively recent Col U fan I will read with eager interest to learn more of the club’s history.
Matches of Yesteryear on 06:59 - Aug 3 with 877 viewsDaniel

Love it!

This game has different memories for me. I was on a run of having never missed a home league game for 15 years and my brother decided to have his stag do that weekend. It was a weekend in Newquay and our minibus was driving back on the Sunday the same time of the game. With the Sky cameras present and technology to hand I was able to stream the game. Weirdly I was at services when the full time whistle went and it was the same services I visited on the way back from Yeovil nine years earlier when we were promoted to the championship.

I was gutted to miss one of the only iconic games we have had at an otherwise souless stadium. To rub salt in the wounds, the marriage didn't last!
Matches of Yesteryear on 10:59 - Aug 3 with 858 viewsMoor_Pinot

Matches of Yesteryear on 23:43 - Aug 2 by GOSBTS

Fantastic idea Wessex. As a relatively recent Col U fan I will read with eager interest to learn more of the club’s history.

Yes, wonderful original unselfish idea Wessex. Take my hat off to you. And that first game - streuth, so many of us saw it live and when the penalty was missed.........oh.

May your reward be 3 points today and a safe journey back to Wiltshire.

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Matches of Yesteryear on 11:06 - Aug 3 with 855 viewspwrightsknees

Brilliant idea, Wessex. Thanks so much!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024