Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter 14:05 - Aug 13 with 1388 viewsdurham_exile

After the disappointment of an undeserved narrow defeat at Plymouth on Saturday JM and his charges prepare to entertain Swindon Town in the Carabao Cup tonight followed by a local derby against Cambridge United on Saturday.

Both vital games, first because we haven’t registered a victory yet this season and secondly because the opportunity to play in Round 2 of the League Cup is something that we haven’t experienced for several years.

No pressure then. The one thing that is going to be brought up time and again unless we make a signing is the lack of firepower up front. Plymouth proved that you have to be ruthless in order to make chances count. Sarcevic’s shot was one of only two on target but it resulted in the vital match winner. Small margins because Tom Lapslie was a whisker away from converting a low cross only minutes before.

Our squad is good enough to secure vital results, but they must convert opportunities and unless we do so there will be hard luck stories come the end of the season.

Richie Wellens brings his Swindon Town side to the JobServe stadium this evening having started well in the league, but he is another manager seeking strikers. Over 7,000 supporters witnessed their 3-2 comeback win against Carlisle at the weekend.

Tonight, though is all about Colchester securing a cup win a rarity over the past 10 seasons.

Will Kane Vincent-Young play given the predatory interest from the Farmers. Frankly their interest has been introduced following unsuccessful attempts to prose him away by both Luton and Charlton.
But Ipswich are in dire financial straits and we should be able to resist their advances.

So will JM change any aspect of the team. I certainly would. Lets give Omar Sowunmi an opportunity with a home debut tonight in place of Luke Prosser. Prosser had an indifferent game at Plymouth and was badly outpaced in the first half when he had a yard on his opponent.

Vincent-Young must play and so must talisman Ryan Jackson who looked the part again when he came on second half against the Pilgrims. I would also give Ethan Ross an opportunity between the sticks. I would bring Gambin in for Senior who despite seeing a lot of the ball was profligate with it and failed to inspire his colleagues.

Leave Harry Pell on the physio table we need him on Saturday against Cambridge.

So, the team:

Ross

Jackson Eastman Sowunmi Vincent-Young

Lapslie Stevenson

Gambin Brown Nouble

Norris

Subs:

Gerken Kensdale Prosser Chilvers Comley Hasanally Senior

Weather tonight is 17 degrees Celsius and it will be partly sunny at kick off.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 17:24]

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 06:48 - Aug 14 with 503 viewsnoah4x4

My first visit of the season to JsCS. How on earth did we win that 3-0?

Swindon much the superior side until the sending offs; Gerkin rightfully MOM for some awesome saves. Prosser, Stevenson and Lapslie shocking. Nouble and Norris worse. For 2/3rds of the game we were chasing shadows.

Then, Lapslie goes to full-back and plays a blinder. Team starts to play as space opens up. Courtney Senior has an immediate impact against a Swindon team that had played for 70 minutes at such a high tempo they fast ran out of puff once down to ten men.

Shows it is a marathon not a sprint and energy conservation is a vital tactic.
Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 07:19 - Aug 14 with 495 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 06:48 - Aug 14 by noah4x4

My first visit of the season to JsCS. How on earth did we win that 3-0?

Swindon much the superior side until the sending offs; Gerkin rightfully MOM for some awesome saves. Prosser, Stevenson and Lapslie shocking. Nouble and Norris worse. For 2/3rds of the game we were chasing shadows.

Then, Lapslie goes to full-back and plays a blinder. Team starts to play as space opens up. Courtney Senior has an immediate impact against a Swindon team that had played for 70 minutes at such a high tempo they fast ran out of puff once down to ten men.

Shows it is a marathon not a sprint and energy conservation is a vital tactic.

My first visit also and like Noah I am staggered we won let alone by 3-0.

No problem with Gerken being MOM although personally I would have selected Eastman. These 2 players were the STAND OUT ones without doubt. Gerken looks comfortable and calm, whilst Eastman looks slimmer this season.

I didn't think Stevenson was as bad as the other 4 listed players by Noah but those 4 were awful especially Prosser and Lapslie.

Jevani Brown - struggles for first 20-25 mins of each half but then looks good for the remainder. I think he has potential

Cohen Brammall - I think he has good potential, Harsh sending off but if players react like that it gives referee easy decision.

Jackson - done well

Gambin - had his moments but a little confused why he was playing on the right when very left footed.

I am becoming concerned with McGreals team selection. He seems to be fitting square pegs in round holes which creates an imbalance.

I am hoping the win creates confidence but this result papers over so many cracks.

Pathetic attendance
Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 18:44 - Aug 14 with 409 viewsbwildered

Last win in League Cup 2010 - who ?
Last time scored three in League Cup - WBA home - Fagan hat trick ?
Last home League Cup win - the above ?

Memory gone dizzy after such a result !!

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 18:56 - Aug 14 with 405 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 18:44 - Aug 14 by bwildered

Last win in League Cup 2010 - who ?
Last time scored three in League Cup - WBA home - Fagan hat trick ?
Last home League Cup win - the above ?

Memory gone dizzy after such a result !!

bwildered - the last time we won in the league Cup prior to last night was Hereford United 3-0.

I can't confirm the last home win but the WBA match sounds right.

Perhaps we might defeat Crystal Palace and then the sky's the limit.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 19:08 - Aug 14 with 400 viewsdurham_exile

Carabao cup financial facts:

45% gate receipt for every home away match from Round 1 to Wembley Final

Round 1 (35 teams) — (total 70 teams enters round 1) £5,000
Round 2 (24 teams) — (13 premier league teams join) £7,000
Round 3 (16 teams) — (24 round-2 winners joined by 8 premier league teams playing in Europe) £10,000
Round 4 (8 teams) — (winners of round 2) £15,000
Quarterfinals (4 teams) — £20,000
Semi finals (2 teams) — £25,000
Runners-up (1 team) — £50,000
Winners (1 team) — £100,000

Rolling in it!

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 20:47 - Aug 14 with 386 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 19:08 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

Carabao cup financial facts:

45% gate receipt for every home away match from Round 1 to Wembley Final

Round 1 (35 teams) — (total 70 teams enters round 1) £5,000
Round 2 (24 teams) — (13 premier league teams join) £7,000
Round 3 (16 teams) — (24 round-2 winners joined by 8 premier league teams playing in Europe) £10,000
Round 4 (8 teams) — (winners of round 2) £15,000
Quarterfinals (4 teams) — £20,000
Semi finals (2 teams) — £25,000
Runners-up (1 team) — £50,000
Winners (1 team) — £100,000

Rolling in it!

UTU's

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, if Palace get 10k for the gate, and charge on average £10 per head, we get £45k?!

Kerching!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 20:56 - Aug 14 with 380 viewsburnsieespana

Cup runs are what have supercharged Lincoln's rise over the last few years.
Be brilliant if we can beat Palace and as I am going to be in Woking visiting my son the week of the game we will be going!

Up the U's.
Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 06:45 - Aug 15 with 350 viewsbwildered

However, Caraboo cup is a glorified Chuckaturd until the later rounds . Suggest PL clubs that qualify are unlikely to parade first eleven sides particularly at home until the competition gets serious, they should be seeded has away games .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to clip Robins' wings in Carabao Cup encounter on 16:12 - Aug 15 with 321 viewsburnsieespana

Evidently both us and Swindon appealing and we will know tomorrow.
I had not realised both the Swindon Manager and Steve Ball got red carded as well!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024