Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby 09:10 - Aug 17 with 1814 viewsdurham_exile

Matchday Three and a tasty local derby against unbeaten Cambridge United now led by Colin Calderwood and about to be under new ownership with Paul Barry the majority shareholder taking over the club. Barry has committed to fund the club’s ongoing losses for at least 5 years and has apparently invested £1.3m to clear some existing debt.

Cambridge have started the season well with two drawn league games at Bradford and at home to Newport (both 0-0) and in midweek they won at Brentford in the Carabao Cup 5-4 on penalties after a 1-1 draw in normal time. Their “reward” is a trip to Swansea in Round Two.

Of course, it will be a case of reunions on Saturday with Jevani Brown coming up against his old club and Jabo Ibehre (who has now clocked up 600 EFL games) returning to Colchester. Cambridge also have threats from Reggie Lambe and Andrew Dallas.

As far as Colchester is concerned the big talking point has been that of Kane Vincent-Young going to the Farmers for £500K. A strange and unpopular move because we said no to Luton Town (twice) and Charlton were also rebutted. Yes, Ipswich were interested last season (now under new management) but they weren’t interested until loanee and top goal scorer Luke Garbutt was injured in their last match.

Over the years many players have been transferred between our two clubs (not unusual given the geographical proximity and monitoring of players that appears to constantly go on) but I’ve always believed that the Poorman Road club have always received the better end of the deal. Bigger club and support yes but they have been in the doldrums for many years now. Anyway, the deal has been done and we have lost another of our better players.

Ipswich to Colchester:
Neil Gregory
Tom Eastman
Micky Stockwell
Chris Keeble
Steve Whitton
Alec Chamberlain
Dean Gerken

Colchester to Ipswich:
Kevin Lisbie
Freddie Sears
Anthony Wordworth
Kane Vincent-Young

More disturbingly JM as far as I know did not win the appeal against the red card from the FA for Cohen Bramall, who will now miss the next three games and with the sale of KVY leaves us with limited cover. Either Kensdale or Cameron James will deputise at left back.

Worryingly the Injuries are mounting up; Paris Cowan-Hall is out with an achilles injury, Harry Pell with tendonitis and now Luke (Chuck) Norris is being monitored for a hamstring injury.

Our strike force which is wafer thin has just been reduced by 50%. Junior is still at Derry City until November.

I notice that as late as yesterday League Two clubs are signing strikers on loan. Colchester have made no inroads into either the permanent deal or loan market for a striker and the talent pool must be reducing drastically.

Therefore, the team is likely to be along the following lines:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser James

Lapslie Stevenson

Senior Gambin

Brown

Nouble

Subs:
Ross Kensdale Sowunmi Chilvers Comley Hasanally Clampin

Now I know that the mere mention of a striker sends JM into a blue funk, but whether he likes it or not some of that cash from Szmodics (£750K), Kent (£360K) and KVY (£500K) must be diverted to the acquisition of a new striker.

I don’t understand why those august organs of the press (Gazette and EADT) are not clamouring for a striker on the U’s behalf.

Still the patched-up team will have to pull out all the stops today to secure three points. A win is vital to not only keep the confidence levels up but also put some points on the board to keep pace with the leaders.

A pleasant 21 degrees Celsius and sunny intervals at the JobServe CS today.

Cambridge will bring 600+ and so it is hoped to see 4,000 inside the stadium. The faithful will be in good voice in the South Stand.

Three points with a 2-0 home victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 09:33 - Aug 17 with 1206 viewswessex_exile

Nice one Durham, gone for 3-0 in the U’sual PL, but 2-0 will do. Mind you, I also went for Norris for goalscorer, so that will have be fixed if he isn’t fit. You won’t see the EADT clamouring for a striker these days, now they’ve decided to focus exclusively on the six-fingered freaks. Hope KVY steps out at some point for a send-off from the U’s faithful, he’s done nothing wrong and deserves recognition for his time with the U’s.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 11:26 - Aug 17 with 1170 viewsthrillseeker

Durham - loving the positivity but you did not see the preformance Tuesday.

How we won 3-0 is beyond me and people will assume all his well but believe me the result papered over the cracks

The positive is surely the performance cannot be as bad as Tuesday
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 12:05 - Aug 17 with 1162 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 11:26 - Aug 17 by thrillseeker

Durham - loving the positivity but you did not see the preformance Tuesday.

How we won 3-0 is beyond me and people will assume all his well but believe me the result papered over the cracks

The positive is surely the performance cannot be as bad as Tuesday

TS - no I didn't see the match and it seems that Yates sending off affected them more than us.

I am worried about the strike force or lack of.

The injuries are also mounting up.

Big day for Brown today.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 12:46 - Aug 17 with 1154 viewsFruitbat

There is a list of currently suspended players on the FA website. As of a couple of minutes ago Bramhall and Yates are both on it for 3 games.
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 14:09 - Aug 17 with 1137 viewsdurham_exile

Team
Gerken
Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin
Stevenson Comley Senior Brown Nouble
Norris

Ross Sowunmi James Chilvers Hasanally Gambin Poku

Keane Poku on the bench

Debut for Clampin
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 14:16]

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:01 - Aug 17 with 1121 viewswessex_exile

Anyone else still waiting for commentary?

Up the U's

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:05 - Aug 17 with 1119 viewsburnsieespana

Sadly that team does not inspire me.
Is Lapslie injured?
Must have missed something but who is Keane Poku?
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:07 - Aug 17 with 1118 viewsMadeira163

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:01 - Aug 17 by wessex_exile

Anyone else still waiting for commentary?

Hi Wessex
Still waiting
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:12 - Aug 17 with 1112 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:07 - Aug 17 by Madeira163

Hi Wessex
Still waiting

Update from a poster on the OMB - U's 1-0 up from a Norris penalty!!!

Up the U's

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:23 - Aug 17 with 1107 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:05 - Aug 17 by burnsieespana

Sadly that team does not inspire me.
Is Lapslie injured?
Must have missed something but who is Keane Poku?

Burnsie my apologies it is Kwame Poku.
He is 18 and we signed him from Worthing to play in our U23 team.

A midfield player he is a rising star.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:28 - Aug 17 with 1104 viewsdurham_exile

Still 1-0
61% Colchester 39% Cambridge
Colchester 4 shots 1 on target Cambridge 1 shot Nil on target

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:35 - Aug 17 with 1100 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:28 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Still 1-0
61% Colchester 39% Cambridge
Colchester 4 shots 1 on target Cambridge 1 shot Nil on target

UTU's

Commentary just started - Come on Col U!

Up the U's

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:44 - Aug 17 with 1098 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:35 - Aug 17 by wessex_exile

Commentary just started - Come on Col U!

Jabo Ibehre not playing or even on the bench today

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:45 - Aug 17 with 1097 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:44 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Jabo Ibehre not playing or even on the bench today

HT 1-0

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 16:12 - Aug 17 with 1085 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 15:45 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

HT 1-0

UTU's

Now 1-1

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 16:43 - Aug 17 with 1076 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 16:12 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Now 1-1

UTU's

Absolutely seething now 2-1 down

This is simply not good enough

A striker is required now

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 16:55 - Aug 17 with 1064 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 16:43 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Absolutely seething now 2-1 down

This is simply not good enough

A striker is required now

UTU's

We now go to Grimsby on Tuesday facing what is already a must win game after a shocking start.

Noone seems interested in the fact that without a new striker we face a long and fruitless season.

No point in selling your best players if you do not replace them with equal or better quality.

A striker is a priority.

We have also picked up another injury with young Clampin.

What a disastrous start to our fourth season in league two.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 17:04 - Aug 17 with 1052 viewsburnsieespana

Looks like it is going to be a long hard season. Inevitable after last year we would loose our best players.
Quickly we need a quality defender and striker.
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 17:30 - Aug 17 with 1024 viewsthrillseeker

Back home and can not work this team out

First Half - we looked comfortable and I was quite impressed.

Second Half - we lost shape and looked uncomfortable. I just don't know what was said at Half Time for the team to lose shape and confidence

Gerken - looked OK but need to see 2nd goal. It was a close range effort but he looked distraught so I am assuming he feels he has made an error

Jackson - played well

Clampin - played well. Shame he got injured

Prosser - what has happened to him over the summer. He has lost his confidence and I am sure makes players around him nervous

Eastman - solid but doesn't trust his defensive partner

Senior - very frustrating. Performs some magic but then no end product.

Comley - played very well and I prefer him to Lapslie

Stevenson - is our play maker but is becoming to defensive. Is he now afraid to attempt that killer pass?

Brown - showed glimpses but seemed to be worried about upsetting his former team mates

Nouble - how did he win MOTM? Did some good things totally 10 mins but what about the other 80?

Norris - first half I thought he was very good but tired and by the 70/75th minutes he was struggling. We do not play the right system for Norris

My MOTM today would be Comley closely followed by Clampin

Overall a very frustrating afternoon - a draw would probably have been fair.

We are desparate for a natural goalscorer to convert the numerous chances we take

This could be a long season unless McGreal gets to grip with our lack of scoring

Roll on Tuesday for 3 points
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 17:31]
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 17:53 - Aug 17 with 998 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 17:30 - Aug 17 by thrillseeker

Back home and can not work this team out

First Half - we looked comfortable and I was quite impressed.

Second Half - we lost shape and looked uncomfortable. I just don't know what was said at Half Time for the team to lose shape and confidence

Gerken - looked OK but need to see 2nd goal. It was a close range effort but he looked distraught so I am assuming he feels he has made an error

Jackson - played well

Clampin - played well. Shame he got injured

Prosser - what has happened to him over the summer. He has lost his confidence and I am sure makes players around him nervous

Eastman - solid but doesn't trust his defensive partner

Senior - very frustrating. Performs some magic but then no end product.

Comley - played very well and I prefer him to Lapslie

Stevenson - is our play maker but is becoming to defensive. Is he now afraid to attempt that killer pass?

Brown - showed glimpses but seemed to be worried about upsetting his former team mates

Nouble - how did he win MOTM? Did some good things totally 10 mins but what about the other 80?

Norris - first half I thought he was very good but tired and by the 70/75th minutes he was struggling. We do not play the right system for Norris

My MOTM today would be Comley closely followed by Clampin

Overall a very frustrating afternoon - a draw would probably have been fair.

We are desparate for a natural goalscorer to convert the numerous chances we take

This could be a long season unless McGreal gets to grip with our lack of scoring

Roll on Tuesday for 3 points
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 17:31]

Agree with most of that Thrillo.

Like Durham tho' I am seething and it will take beyond whatever happens at Grimsby to change it.

We had no striker on the penalty spot at any time, no striker worthy of the name no striker trying to be a striker. Inept construction of all or most attacking moves. Frankly pathetic to watch and to underline this the Cambraidge goalkeeper had no saves to make, little work to do. We had several 1 on 1s, admittedly from angles, but all bar Jackson's last minute half hit shot none were on target and as usual any ball across the box was of no interest to our players.

Make no bones about this - we will NOT meet a side showing so little as Cambridge did in the first 45 minutes again this season. They were abject, a shower there for the taking. Wave after wave of U's attacks resulted in nothing bar a penalty. Any half time talk by the tea lady/man would have improved Cambridge, they were so appalling.
Make your own judgements upon what happened afterwards.

Agree Thrillo, Clampin did very well, Jackson had a good game, Stevenson was OK - still far too much lateral ball movement. Comley OK first half, Tom OK, Prosser now non league standard with poor placements, no pace, fouls a lot. Senior flatters as usual, no end product whatsoever always misses a pass. Nouble, Norris and Brown had never met til 3pm.
Gamlin introduced too late.

Make no bones about it - Thrillo is right - this is a Colchester United side you cannot work out. They can't work it out themselves and management are seemingly powerless to so so either at present.

Final point as I seethe - absolutely NO urgency from either the touchline or the players during the period after the second Cambridge goal. None whatsoever, still plenty of lateral and back passes allowing opposition to constantly regroup.

Crowd poor when you factor in 850 away support.

This is the start many on here feared. And it's real.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 18:11 - Aug 17 with 984 viewsthrillseeker

Pinault - we need a real striker like a Cureton, fox in the box or whatever you call them.

We create numerous chances but take so few

It is so frustrating
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 19:14 - Aug 17 with 932 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 18:11 - Aug 17 by thrillseeker

Pinault - we need a real striker like a Cureton, fox in the box or whatever you call them.

We create numerous chances but take so few

It is so frustrating

Having just watched the 1 min 17 seconds of Highlights Gerken should have saved their so called winner.

Another appalling day at the office.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 19:19 - Aug 17 with 927 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 19:14 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Having just watched the 1 min 17 seconds of Highlights Gerken should have saved their so called winner.

Another appalling day at the office.

UTU's

Durham - you have confirmed my earlier comment

Saying that he did make some good saves again keeping us in game. Although may be at fault for goal why was the person supplying cross and scorer provided with so much space and time?
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 19:48 - Aug 17 with 915 viewsColukev

Am I the only one who attributes blame to Gerken for their equaliser too?
Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 20:02 - Aug 17 with 909 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's to secure bragging rights in local Cambridge derby on 19:48 - Aug 17 by Colukev

Am I the only one who attributes blame to Gerken for their equaliser too?

Possibly not

I have concerns regarding Gerken with equaliser but can't really coment from my view in E7 so need to see TV before final decision
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024