Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mariners all at sea against the mighty Super U's 22:16 - Aug 19 with 1689 viewsdurham_exile

After a bizarre start to the season which has seen a draw, two defeats and a victory against Swindon in the Carabao Cup, the Super U’s sit perilously close to the foot of the table with one point from three games.

Better fortune and the old maxim about taking your chances would have seen three more points garnered, but the table doesn’t lie as someone once said.

So, Grimsby Away at Blundell Park on a Tuesday night in August suddenly becomes a must not lose and in my book a must win if we are serious about a promotion challenge.

Grimsby themselves have started reasonably well with an away win at the Globe Arena, a home draw to Bradford and an impressive win in the Carabao Cup against Doncaster followed by a narrow defeat at FGR on Saturday.

Michael Jolley will be looking to heap more misery on the U’s who have yet to determine their best starting XI and who are picking up numerous injuries.

Kane Vincent-Young is the latest quality player to leave the U’s (inevitable given our inability to get out of the basement league after three seasons) but instead of a Championship side he has gone to our Suffolk fiends. I don’t understand why Luton or Charlton were not preferred to the Poorman Road outfit. Anyway, I must let it go but it has been eating into me and continues to do so!

The last two games that I have been to at Blundell Park have resulted in a 1-0 defeat and a 2-2 draw both in 2017. In truth it is not a happy hunting ground for the U’s but then over the past four seasons not too many grounds have been. Harsh perhaps but despite my optimism we are advancing backwards or so it would seem. JM seems incapable of securing the services of a striker whereas virtually every other league two team has signed a new striker or two.

I cannot believe that JM believes his squad is good enough to go at least one place better this season when like for like signings have been woeful.

The red card for Bramall looks even worse now after KVY departure and although Ryan Clampin played out of his skin on Saturday he was injured, and it is doubtful whether he will play on Tuesday evening. Cameron James looks set to deputise. Cohen Bramall of course remains suspended after his red card against Swindon.

Dean Gerken was at fault with the winning effort from Cambridge on Saturday. But I expect him to play against the Mariners. In truth when the results are going against you that’s when the freakish goals and mistakes occur.

Notwithstanding the loss of Frankie Kent and Kane Vincent-Young our defence still has good players; notably Tom Eastman and Ryan Jackson. JM must bite the bullet and drop Luke Prosser. There is no point in signing someone like Omar Sowunmi only to leave him on the bench. Get him into the team at Grimsby. His physical presence is important in the back four and for corners when we are on the attack.

It is the midfield where JM still doesn’t know his best formation. There is no question that Harry Pell is sorely missed but he is still not fully fit and so shouldn’t play. Ben Stevenson and Tom Lapslie (injured) are able deputies. The problem is who plays on the wings; Luke Gambin was brought in to do a job and is predominantly left footed. But one of JM’s failings is his favourites tag, hence Courtney Senior often starting and then fading away badly during a game. He is even worse when the heavier pitches come into play during the winter months. But can they both play in the same team. I say yes if only to give two flank options but will they no not at present.

Jevani Brown was brought in to replace Sammie Szmodics (who continues to warm the bench at Bristol City, another unused sub at the weekend). Brown continues to receive mixed reviews. I thought he had a cracking game at Plymouth, but he has since been criticised for his indifferent performances particularly against Cambridge on Saturday. Professionalism over sentiment was the strap line which was clearly ignored. There should be no such confusion against the Mariners. He has ability and looks good on the ball, let him play the number 10 role and give him plenty of licence to cover every blade in the opposition half.

The strikers are in an exclusive club of two. Nouble and Norris. But they are no Warboys and Bannister aka Smash and Grab.

Can Junior be recalled early from Ireland or is he going to be another wasted signing. If there is feverish activity behind the scenes to sign a striker, it is being done with such secrecy that MI5 would be looking jealousy at our agents in the field. The silence is deafening.

As could be seen on Saturday the bench is wafer thin with a lack of experience and youth. Grimsby have Hanson a dedicated striker with bags of experience, Swindon have just signed on loan Doyle from Oldham. These strikers are just what we need. Failing that a Championship club U23 striker with an eye for goal. RC get your cheque book out you have the thick end of £1m available.

So, expect something along these lines at Blundell Park on Tuesday:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Sowunmi James

Comley Stevenson Gambin

Brown

Norris Nouble

Subs:
Ross Prosser Chilvers Hasanally Poku Senior Kensdale

Of course, if Clampin is fit then he plays at left back and James drops to the bench.

Expect a thunderstorm in North Lincolnshire early doors tomorrow, but by the evening kick off it will be partly sunny and 16 degrees Celsius with only a 10% precipitation risk.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful who will be making the 186-mile journey each way. My trip is a mere 133 miles each way.

Oh, and the scoreline 3-1 to Colchester with Chuck Norris on the scoresheet with a brace and Jevani Brown to open his account with a 25 yarder.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Mariners all at sea against the mighty Super U's on 12:18 - Aug 22 with 360 viewsgerry_us

Mariners all at sea against the mighty Super U's on 07:14 - Aug 22 by noah4x4

I think this was a good away point Gerry against a decent team, had it not been for a woeful performance against Cambridge. But I agree about the lack of wisdom in tactics where we sit back trying to defend in our own box that just invites pressure.

However, what lead to both goals was losing the ball whilst in attack, then panic defending that lead to a set-piece (which we then seem to defend poorly) Senior and Brown over-engineer everything and repeatly give the ball away. Senior's work rate to get back and defend is then woeful. But having sold Kent and KVY, vulnerability in defence is perhaps inevitable.

I get where you are coming from Noah but cannot agree Grimsby actually deserved a point playing "Route 1" football. From our sitting position I cannot recall any serious activity in the Grimsby penalty box for the whole of the second half. To illustrate that, how many times was the Grimsby goalie able to escape up the field without any U's players near and to launch a long ball into our penalty area ? U's must escape this negativity before its too late!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2019 15:22]
Mariners all at sea against the mighty Super U's on 04:21 - Aug 23 with 314 viewsghughes11

Mariners all at sea against the mighty Super U's on 15:00 - Aug 20 by wessex_exile

You can actually watch this one live chap, or does the time difference preclude that possibility?

Game kicked off at 6.45am NZT and I start work at 7am - could have had a cheeky watch for the first half but forgot my password anyway ha ha.
Don't think they show the cup games live - so will have to watch the Palace match on Thursday night too! Last time I went to palace in the cup - Joey Keith scored in a 3-1 defeat. Jamie Moralee played a blinder for us no doubt ha ha

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Mariners all at sea against the mighty Super U's on 08:56 - Aug 23 with 302 viewsGOSBTS

Mariners all at sea against the mighty Super U's on 04:21 - Aug 23 by ghughes11

Game kicked off at 6.45am NZT and I start work at 7am - could have had a cheeky watch for the first half but forgot my password anyway ha ha.
Don't think they show the cup games live - so will have to watch the Palace match on Thursday night too! Last time I went to palace in the cup - Joey Keith scored in a 3-1 defeat. Jamie Moralee played a blinder for us no doubt ha ha

Now I did not know Jamie Moralee played for Col U! He provided me with one of my favourite footballing moments ever watching Brighton. He came on as an 80+ minute sub in an away game against Scunthorpe. Within about 60 seconds he was sent off for punching one of the Scunthorpe players! I'm not sure I've ever witnessed as quick a red card as that. 7 year old me was also a mascot in that game for Brighton and remember well my mum telling people off behind us for swearing and my dad looking rather embarrassed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024